Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Subaru Impreza  (Read 31676 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Subaru Impreza
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:55 pm »
Today's First Drive:
2008 Subaru Impreza

2008 Subaru ImprezaCompletely redesigned, the new Impreza has a longer wheelbase but a shorter overall length, a new rear suspension, and a lower base price, reports Senior Editor, Paul Williams.  It "was worth the wait," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2008 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:12:37 pm »
Its nice that they addressed a lot of the issues, though they're still charging too much of a premium for AWD for broad market acceptance, imo.

And again, some usual quirks (4 speed auto, where's my aux in, etc.)

In the end, I think its still a top candidate in its field, even if the sales numbers don't say so.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:18:52 pm »
I dunno... with that reduced price, if you compare a base Impreza 5-door to the Mazda3 Sport GS (it's most obvious competitor in my eyes), I'd say it looks like a pretty good value.  More power and a kick-ass AWD system?  Hmmm...  Almost makes me cringe that my wife just got her Mzd3 too soon... but then again, when pricing the Subie online, it looks like the cost isn't even close to lease.  (phew!)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 11:23:48 pm »
More power and a kick-ass AWD system?

Well, I might be wrong on the feature content for the price, but in terms of the mass market I don't think they care that much for more power and AWD, and they'll end up crying about fuel consumption or Aux In / Sunroof or something.

I'm sure most on this board would be drawn more to the Impreza though. I know I would. 170hp, 170 torque, AWD and decent gadgetry is very nice for $23k.

avtoller

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 11:30:46 pm »
Might make a nice "second car" for me once the mortgage is finished in 26 months.  ;D ;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:35:36 pm »
Disappointments: styling, 4AT, that WRB color with the 2.5i models  :-X

Jameel

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:18:34 am »
Very boring styling, especially the sedan.  What's going on with Subaru?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:20:49 am by Jameel »

Offline mr_burns

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:28 am »
The styling will keep me away from the '08.  My '05 wagon looks better and better each passing day.

It's like the designers sat down and asked themselves how plain-jane they could make this car?  The 80s front fascia, Kia-styled rear (sedan) and pimply RAV4 butt (hatch) seems way off.  I think I see a 90s Malibu in there, as well!

Subaru needs to know that this is not the way to win repeat business, nor even first time customers.  My pet conspiracy theory is that they think they can lure potential customers in with a low priced Impreza then upsell to something else.  Poor Impreza - beaten with the ugly stick in order to sell her better looking siblings.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 12:32:18 am »
The styling is fine.  It doesn't have the excitement or oddity of the previous models, but it's a small group of fans that like that look.  This car is more neutral, and more mass-market friendly.  And that's what pays the bills.  That said, the WRX needs more to differentiate itself from the non-WRX version.

The four speed auto is disappointing (for those who want an auto :P ;)), and hopefully they'll update that soon.

(Why did the cars have Ontario plates if the article was written in Victoria? :D)

knowmadd

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:38:44 am »
"with aggressive lower pricing starting at $20,695 for the smart 2.5i sedan and $21,595 for the hatchback, the well-equipped Impreza line-up offers a great deal for your hard-earned dollars."

It's strange how the auto press is only lightly covering the big story; the cost of cars in Canada.  A .95 cent US (value) Canadian dollar and our import fees (which do not apply to cars made in Canada, the US or Mexico) does NOT translate into the prices we see here.  For an example of Impreza pricing, check this out cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2008.html

As the Impreza is imported, it's not the best example.  However, it's overpriced.  Add to this that cars made in Canada are sold for less in the US than here; it's insulting.  A Legacy for example is made in the US, is the same car we get here and costs much more. 

One media outlet has covered the story in some detail: drivingtelevision.com.  This sight has touched upon it. 

Sure, as the dollar fluctuates, our costs for cars can go up, but that's a function of the free market.  Our prices should also be going down when the dollar is up.  I guess only time will tell.  As most Canadian consumers seem to be very passive on this issue, it might never change. 

carnut

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 02:49:53 am »
Haven't post anything on this board for awhile... been too lazy figuring out my password...

The new styling of the sedan doesn't work for me. The 5dr hatch is even worse, reminds me of the Mazda3 5dr and I am not a fan of it.

I have to ask though. The blue on the sedan in this article looks like the wrc blue. But it's the base model, because it has the wheel covers (8 spoke), and the brochure lists newport blue as the only blue available for it. So is this some "special" press car that we will never see in dealers?

And yes, knowmadd. Canadian buyers are passive. Look at it this way. Most ppl in BC are still buying Toyotas at sticker price, because dealers are giving ppl the access pricing crap. Over half of the Toyota salesman tried to give me the BS about how they aren't allowed to sell for less. Right... then what's the deal with the "dealer may sell for less" fineprint? My solution to these rip off pricing tactics? I buy used, haha.

Cheers.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:20 am »
"with aggressive lower pricing starting at $20,695 for the smart 2.5i sedan and $21,595 for the hatchback, the well-equipped Impreza line-up offers a great deal for your hard-earned dollars."

It's strange how the auto press is only lightly covering the big story; the cost of cars in Canada.  A .95 cent US (value) Canadian dollar and our import fees (which do not apply to cars made in Canada, the US or Mexico) does NOT translate into the prices we see here.  For an example of Impreza pricing, check this out cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2008.html

As the Impreza is imported, it's not the best example.  However, it's overpriced.  Add to this that cars made in Canada are sold for less in the US than here; it's insulting.  A Legacy for example is made in the US, is the same car we get here and costs much more. 

One media outlet has covered the story in some detail: drivingtelevision.com.  This sight has touched upon it. 

Sure, as the dollar fluctuates, our costs for cars can go up, but that's a function of the free market.  Our prices should also be going down when the dollar is up.  I guess only time will tell.  As most Canadian consumers seem to be very passive on this issue, it might never change. 

Keep watching the site here for an in-depth look at the pricing issue.
I used to work here.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 09:13:24 am »

(Why did the cars have Ontario plates if the article was written in Victoria? :D)

Just guessin' here, but Subaru Canada's HQ is in Mississauga, ON.  The press fleet is likely based out of this office.  Perhaps a more pressing question is, why did they ship the cars all the way to low-speed Victoria?  ;)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:05 am »
The exterior styling, and to a much lesser extent the interior styling, is a let down for me. This would be enough not to buy a regular Impreza. On the other hand, for the first time, I find the Subaru pricing decent by comparison in the Canadian market.
For a higher performance vehicle, the looks may not be such a big deal, but as far as I'm concerned, I would go for the new Lancer for sure (pictures of what it's believed to be the new Lancer Ralliart w/turbo, AWD and no rear wing were posted on the Internet few days ago).

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:48:41 am »
Just a few things:

- HUGE improvement to the interior. Fuzzy seats look like they come out of a Honda - not a bad thing, just an observation. If interior room has grown, awesome.
- The sedan looks boring. First time seeing the rear of it, and it's so generic it's silly with lines and curves that are there for no reason at all. The hatch has grown on me... I would like a more aggressive less rounded front, but the rear is quite nice, like the skirts on the WRX, and lights, etc.
- Pricing is very competitive to me. Very. The 2.5i's specifically vs a Mazda3 or Rabbit, but even the WRX isn't bad. A good, decently powerful, well equipped, now comfortably roomy AWD vehicle for that is superb!
- Wouldn't buy a car without a sunroof - where's the damn 2.5i roof?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:06:08 am »
Not a big fan of the 4AT or the sedan looks. Absolutely in love with the hatch. Interior looks much improved, and I think the 2.5i price is competative and will move some cars here.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:07:18 am »
The sedan looks like the new Subaru Corolla  ???

Still not 5 speed auto but an improved interior.  I'll have to cruise by my local dealer for a closer look.

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:54 am »
Really like the hatch (WRX flavour is really nice), but the sedan is  :sleep:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 12:33:53 pm »
I wonder if there is a difference in suspension tuning between the base and sport model. Seems more like a luxo package as opposed to a sport package.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 01:02:20 pm »
I wonder if there is a difference in suspension tuning between the base and sport model. Seems more like a luxo package as opposed to a sport package.

I pretty sure its the same, but I agree with you.