Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Limited  (Read 9205 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Limited
« on: July 26, 2007, 11:40:02 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Ford Escape Limited

2008 Ford Escape LimitedWhile the 2008 Ford Escape offers a fresh new face and an updated interior, the V6 engine and four-speed automatic transmission is carried over, reports Haney Louka - leaving it behind some of its newer competitors.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Leviathan

Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Limited
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:27:26 am »
But no 5 speed 4WD..... :'(

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:39 am »
Ford needs a NEW vehicle to replace the Escape.   ;D

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:05:43 pm »
Ford needs a NEW vehicle to replace the Escape.

Rear drums?? 

I agree, Ford desparately needs the new 3.5L + 5/6 speed auto in this thing.

But no 5 speed 4WD.....

Hmmmm, in the U.S. sales are up over 33% compared to last year. You really think they're desperate for changes?

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:15:58 pm »
This Escape is the best selling in its category. Seems quite popular.

RAV4 has 4speed auto as well.

Offline Karl E Hourigan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
Hey, where did the amber tail lights go from the previous model?

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:18:19 pm »

Rear drums?? 

But no 5 speed 4WD.....

Hmmmm, in the U.S. sales are up over 33% compared to last year. You really think they're desperate for changes?

True, "but" Ford has a reputation for resting on its laurels and not keeping the product fresh so to speak. Ford did a very good job, cosmetically on the Escape, and have continued great sales success, but they have to keep ahead of the competition, not make it easier for them to be better.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:18:59 am »

Rear drums?? 

But no 5 speed 4WD.....

True, "but" Ford has a reputation for resting on its laurels and not keeping the product fresh so to speak. Ford did a very good job, cosmetically on the Escape, and have continued great sales success, but they have to keep ahead of the competition, not make it easier for them to be better.

Would this eventually kill them in the long run, with the Escape?  :-\

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 09:40:03 am »
The past and current Escape success is not sustainable if the car will remain at the 2001 level. The Escape sells on relatively lower price and high incentives.
It will die the same way the Taurus did, but this might be part of Ford's strategy.

On the other hand, almost any other car manufacturer completely redesigns a model after 5 years, even the best sellers (Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord).

The saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" doesn't quite apply to car designs IMO.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:40:49 am »
The Escape replacement (Kuga) crossover is expected (not confirmed) no later than 2012. So the current Escape has to stay competitive (in the hottest segment IMO) for many years to come.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:42:24 am by MKII »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 11:00:17 am »
The Escape replacement (Kuga) crossover is expected (not confirmed) no later than 2012. So the current Escape has to stay competitive (in the hottest segment IMO) for many years to come.

[/quot

11 years is a VERY,VERY long lifespan for any platform in the car business
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:57:03 pm »
Why does Ford get criticized for something that Toyota has been doing for years.  Sure, the chassis hasn't changed from the previous gen but how much advancement has Toyota put in the Camry/ Corolla chassis in the past 15 years?  People who buy into the segment generally do not care or notice that this is a 9 year old chassis design.

The motor and tranny are dated but have been proven reliable so what's the hurry to change it?  If you are going to take a chance on a Ford this combo is your safest bet.

coldcase

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 02:16:15 am »
Why does Ford get criticized for something that Toyota has been doing for years.  Sure, the chassis hasn't changed from the previous gen but how much advancement has Toyota put in the Camry/ Corolla chassis in the past 15 years?  People who buy into the segment generally do not care or notice that this is a 9 year old chassis design.

The motor and tranny are dated but have been proven reliable so what's the hurry to change it?  If you are going to take a chance on a Ford this combo is your safest bet.

I agree.  At the same time I'm not their target market because I would not buy an Escape...especially one with rear drums in 2007.  WTH? The purpose of a new refresh, even a mild one is to improve a product...not go backwards in time.  Breaking distances are now longer than last year model...what a surprise. :rofl:

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:46:31 am »

I agree.  At the same time I'm not their target market because I would not buy an Escape...especially one with rear drums in 2007.  WTH? The purpose of a new refresh, even a mild one is to improve a product...not go backwards in time.  Breaking distances are now longer than last year model...what a surprise. :rofl:

The brakes are the least forgivable decision made by Ford. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 11:31:06 am »
How many people are going to put their Escape on a track?

Rear discs are only required for high performance vehicles. Drums are perfectly acceptable on the rear an SUV or pickup.
I've said it before but drums are very reliable, not prone to rust, low maintenance, and apparently lighter than rear discs (according to Dodge anyway). Seventy percent of braking power is delivered by the front brakes, leaving the rears for mostly stability. The only advantage that discs have is the ability to shed heat quickly from repeated stops, not really a big deal in day to day traffic.

If drums can stop a 100000lb rig, they can stop the hell out of an SUV.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 05:19:52 pm by Big_Thumb »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 03:02:16 pm »
I have the rear drums on the Tribute and haven't had any moments of "is this thing gonna stop?".  The real crime is the 4 speed auto and then, to a lesser extent, not tweaking the 3.0L at all. The Fusion is available with AWD, 6speed auto & ~220Hp 3.0L so they have the parts....

coldcase

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 06:14:43 am »
How many people are going to put their Escape on a track?

Rear discs are only required for high performance vehicles. Drums are perfectly acceptable on the rear an SUV or pickup.
I've said it before but drums are very reliable, not prone to rust, low maintenance, and apparently lighter than rear discs (according to Dodge anyway). Seventy percent of braking power is delivered by the front brakes, leaving the rears for mostly stability. The only advantage that discs have is the ability to shed heat quickly from repeated stops, not really a big deal in day to day traffic.

If drums can stop a 100000lb rig, they can stop the hell out of an SUV.

Then let's put rear drums on all SUV..Or better yet let's return to the era of drums only on 4 corners.....no thanks.  I like rear disks.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 07:15:11 am »
That's a well reasoned response. ::)

I had a 1968 Buick Wildcat that had drums on all four wheels. Aluminum finned drums on the front, steel drums on the rear. Sintered metallic lining all round. They were good for a number of high speed stops before they faded. They were much better than period disc brakes. Moderrn metals and engineering could make them better yet.

Having said that, The front drums were massive and completely filled the rim in order to get enough swept braking area. Discs make sense on the front for this reason alone. They are also not subjected to all of the road crap that gets sprayed on read discs. I don't know how many people I know that have had to have rear discs replaced due to pitting and corrosion, or completely seized up parking brakes, problems that just don't happen with maintained rear drums. The tendency to have extended life brake pads basically turns discs into the wear item also, which makes for some pretty expensive brake jobs.

Don't be a slave to fashion.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 09:39:53 am »

Buyers keep crossing over to crossovers

Analysts expect strong U.S. sales of the vehicles in July, a bright spot amid general market decline.

James Prichard / Associated Press

Ever since the debut of the Toyota RAV4 in 1996, U.S. car buyers have been crossing over to crossovers.

The success of crossover vehicles, which resemble sport utility vehicles but are smaller and built on car instead of truck frames, has been one of the few bright spots in recent years for the troubled domestic automotive industry.

The RAV4 was followed by other successful crossovers such as the Lexus RX300, Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester and Ford Escape. Foreign and domestic automakers developed 14 crossover models by 2000 and now offer more than 50. About 70 will be on the market by 2009, said George Pipas, Ford's top sales analyst.

It is the fastest-growing category in the industry, Pipas said. Although high gasoline prices haven't hurt sales of crossovers, which generally are more fuel efficient than SUVs, they are not the sole reason for their success, Pipas said.

While Ford and GM dominated the SUV market during the 1990s, several automakers are competing for the top crossover title. In the first six months of 2007, crossover sales totaled 232,683 for Ford, 232,194 for GM, 230,012 for Honda and 201,114 for Toyota, according to data collected by Ward's Automotive Group.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/AUTO01/707280333/1148

Does the Escape in its current state have what it takes to keep Ford ahead of the competition?

coldcase

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 04:31:41 am »
That's a well reasoned response. ::)

I had a 1968 Buick Wildcat that had drums on all four wheels. Aluminum finned drums on the front, steel drums on the rear. Sintered metallic lining all round. They were good for a number of high speed stops before they faded. They were much better than period disc brakes. Moderrn metals and engineering could make them better yet.

Having said that, The front drums were massive and completely filled the rim in order to get enough swept braking area. Discs make sense on the front for this reason alone. They are also not subjected to all of the road crap that gets sprayed on read discs. I don't know how many people I know that have had to have rear discs replaced due to pitting and corrosion, or completely seized up parking brakes, problems that just don't happen with maintained rear drums. The tendency to have extended life brake pads basically turns discs into the wear item also, which makes for some pretty expensive brake jobs.

Don't be a slave to fashion.

That's your opinion and I respect it.  But it's not like the feature was not on the previous Escape,  It was.  They actually went back to drums...sorry but I'm just a car enthusiast that have been driving a lot of cars and nobody will convince me that drums are as good or better than disc brakes.  Plus read the articles.  Brake distances have increased over last year model and it's the same truck.