Author Topic: 2008 Subaru Impreza prices  (Read 28218 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Subaru Impreza prices
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2007, 05:50:33 pm »
Looking forward to the new WRX testing.

IMO and experience, an idiot driver is an idiot driver, makes no difference if he/she is driving automatic or manual, Pc or Mac.  :)

dorin

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2007, 07:06:32 pm »
Looking forward to the new WRX testing.
Yup!  I'm definitely looking forward to that.

IMO and experience, an idiot driver is an idiot driver, makes no difference if he/she is driving automatic or manual, Pc or Mac.  :)

:iagree:

Mitlov

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2007, 07:51:12 pm »
To join the tangent with the original thread, I read somewhere that the 2008 Lancer Evo is going to offer an automated manual (like VW's DSG) as well as a traditional manual.  One wonders if the new STI will follow suit, or still offer just a traditional manual.  I think DSG systems are going to catch on more and more with dedicated performance machines like these rally-cars-for-the-street.  Driver involvement is all well and good, but a DSG system not only makes the vehicle driveable for a greater number of drivers, but it also makes the car accelerate faster and smoother than the same car with a traditional manual.

Subaru had best not rest on its laurels with the new STI if it hopes to remain competitive with the new Evo (which is Mitsubishi's flagship and receives the resources and R&D one would expect from a company's flagship).  Hopefully Canada will get the new Evo; the previous one was absolutely amazing by most standards.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:57:03 pm by Mitlov »

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2007, 10:40:50 pm »
Question about the new Impreza.
Are Xenons an option?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2007, 11:15:26 pm »
Question about the new Impreza.
Are Xenons an option?

Just go to PMall  :rofl2:
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 01:14:53 am »
Here we go again.

I've recently started driving automatic tranmission vehicle (since 2004). There's nothing wrong or inferior about driving automatics. I don't have a medical issue (thanks Almighty  ;D) or restricted in any manner (my wife is willing to learn but it has to be our second car).

People in both camps need to stop whining about it. Some people don't like mayonnaise or spicy food.

I strongly disagree.  IMO there is something distinctly inferior about the driving experience with an automatic.  I agree that there's nothing "wrong" about wanting to have the inferior automatic driving experience, but I wish there was... 

Furthermore, people who only know how to drive automatics are also automatically inferior drivers.  The same as those of us who don't know how to double-clutch properly are inferior compared to those who do.

(so much for stirring the pot when I can just kick it over altogether) ;)

Respectfully disagree.

I know of a guy who drives a manual car, but he sucks at driving. 

Another friend of mine does not know how to drive a manual car but is an excellent driver, and I feel more comfortable in his car riding with him, than the other guy who knows how to drive a manual (can do some nice rev-match downshifts as well) but seriously is a danger on the road.

dorin

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2007, 03:14:37 am »
I know of a guy who drives a manual car, but he sucks at driving. 

Another friend of mine does not know how to drive a manual car but is an excellent driver, and I feel more comfortable in his car riding with him, than the other guy who knows how to drive a manual (can do some nice rev-match downshifts as well) but seriously is a danger on the road.

You're using a specific example (the two guys you know) to argue against a general statement but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  The two guys you know are not representative of the average manual and automatic driver.  Finding a specific (counter)example does not say anything about the general population.

Before we take this further back off track I'll point out that Wing asked us to can this debate:

Please take your manual / automatic argument offline, it's getting a little too heated.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:08 am »
To join the tangent with the original thread, I read somewhere that the 2008 Lancer Evo is going to offer an automated manual (like VW's DSG) as well as a traditional manual.  One wonders if the new STI will follow suit, or still offer just a traditional manual.  I think DSG systems are going to catch on more and more with dedicated performance machines like these rally-cars-for-the-street.  Driver involvement is all well and good, but a DSG system not only makes the vehicle driveable for a greater number of drivers, but it also makes the car accelerate faster and smoother than the same car with a traditional manual.

Subaru had best not rest on its laurels with the new STI if it hopes to remain competitive with the new Evo (which is Mitsubishi's flagship and receives the resources and R&D one would expect from a company's flagship).  Hopefully Canada will get the new Evo; the previous one was absolutely amazing by most standards.

:iagree:  When Mitsubishi released an automatic version of the Evo over in the UK a lot of people on internet forums questioned why, until one one-legged forum member said he found it a hoot!
 :)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2007, 11:24:56 am »
Wow, this conversation is still going on?

and @ mmret's comment  :rofl: Pmall or eBay!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2007, 06:25:03 pm »

So it's not even a factory option?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2007, 03:27:23 pm »
Pmail bacon is fer SIZZLE..............like ma Hot Bunz ya greasy batards....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30:43 pm »

So it's not even a factory option?

HIDs? I don't think so.

locutusx

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2007, 11:26:10 pm »
It's not about driving an automatic per se, it's about only knowing how to drive an automatic.  Someone who only knows how to drive automatics is an inferior driver because that person does not have the feel for modulating traction that you get from learning how to engage a clutch.  Looking at it in a different way:
manual driver can drive {manual transmission vehicles, automatic transmission vehicles}
automatic driver can drive {automatic transmission vehicles}
{manual transmission vehicles, automatic transmission vehicles} > {automatic transmission vehicles}
therefore manual driver > automatic driver

When this is examined in *reality* (and not in "logical proof" format), you'll see that this is TOTALLY not true.

An example would be my town. We have lots of teenagers with manual shift vehicles, either -3 generation Honda Civic or a GM J-body of some sort. And ask anyone above the age of 25 who lives in my town, how do those teens drive?
"Absolutely HORRIBLE and a complete nuisance on the road" is what you'll get in response. Other than these 17 year old wannabe boy racers, we don't have too many manual shift drivers in my neighborhood... so I'll go out on a limb and say that the average manual driver around here is INCREDIBLY inferior to the average automatic driver, and thus I have completely disproven your "logical proof", Mr. PhD.

EDIT: I apologize for posting this message. I was going through the thread sequentially and did not yet see the message from wing requesting that the auto/manual argument be stopped. Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 06:30:18 am by locutusx »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2007, 12:21:39 am »
My local Subaru dealer gave me a quote for a 08' 2.5i, Sport Pkg, AT Sedan at 3% off MSRP (about $750 off)...any good? They aren't even in stock yet! No haggling, I just asked "give me a discount."...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:36:05 am by 2hondas »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:21 am »
My local Subaru dealer gave me a quote for a 08' 2.5i, Sport Pkg, AT Sedan at 3% off MSRP (about $750 off)...any good? They aren't even in stock yet! No haggling, I just asked "give me a discount."...

If he gave that straight away, you can get more, go haggle!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2007, 11:01:05 pm »

As the Wise Chinese Man says:

"You give an inch, they want a foot!"  :rofl:

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31:07 am »

As the Wise Chinese Man says:

"You give an inch, they want a foot!"  :rofl:

An even wiser sales manager oncer said:

Never give them your best price becuase they will just go shop it.

That price isn't work the paper its writtwen on. If they don't have one in stock they can't deliver it. If you didn't sign a contract to buy it at that price it will change in a second.

One shows up in stock and its its "Oh well I thought we could sell it to you at $750 off but THIS one is already promised to someone who gave a deposit and my manger says and the next one coming tomorrow has the "super duper rip off package " already on it so its going to to be just a little more than we talked about that's OK right its only 3%?"

I don't predict they are going to be a Honda Civic like seller so if at all popssible I'd wait at least a couple months after they are delivered for the intial rush to die down and a much better deal will likley be had.

dirk

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:05 am »

Talked with my dealer yesterday and they offered $700 off the 2.5i Auto 4 door. That's slightly more than half the markup on the base car so I'm somewhat happy with that.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2007, 08:46:05 am »
Don't forget the $1000 or so profit on PDI.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2007, 11:24:29 am »
Frontal Offset crash test is GOOD as expected. Side Crash testing hasn't been done yet.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=848