Author Topic: 2008 Subaru Impreza prices  (Read 28245 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: 2008 Subaru Impreza prices
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 05:34:33 am »
I just went to Subaru Canada HQ today to pick up some of their sponsored prizes for this Sunday event at their parking lot. Subaru also were nice enough to sponsor their car parking lot for our event  this Sunday, they may display a few cars this Sunday.  I looked at the new brochures and their specs for the 2008 lineup. The 5-door hatch is interesting.. but i still prefer the sedan box.

Price is more realistic now..

It is?

Well guess I might as well be the first one to post it.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=5342&idg=1&idi=1

SOC Price Impreza WRX sedan $32,995
US Price 24,350 Converted to CAN at current exchange 25 387

Difference 7608.

Subaru appears to have held or reduced prices from 07 to 08 on many models. All they have really done is taken slightly less of an enormous profit margin in Canada.

Its their right and people will still buy the cars but don't we deserve a 26 K WRX in Canada? What is that we did wrong?

At the end of the day you compare to what is available in your own country, would it make you feel better if I told you it cost more in the UK?  I doubt it...

The point is you can't take a quick drive to the UK and come home with one like you can between Canada and the US. Car costs in other parts of the world really don't matter. Car pricing in the US does! (at least for cars admissable to Canada)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 06:31:56 am »
Unless the rules in the UK have chnaged Sailor, you can call a dealer in Belgium and get a UK spec car there cheaper than in the UK. I dont know if this works for Japanese cars tho' but I gather it used to work for Eu cars.  You can certainly drive to Belgium via the tunnel! ( and bring back a trunk load of great beer)  Turbo Bob will know if one can still get cheap cars in Belgium.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 06:53:19 am »
Lettuce was $1.29 in Maine, it was less then a dollar here ;D
2l of wine was $14.95, same wine here was $14.95 1l bottle :'(
For a lot of the same items, it appeared things were cheaper in Canada
U win some, and u loss some

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 12:28:07 am »
I think the interior looks even more cheaper now.  ???

??? I think it looks 100 x better...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 08:25:02 am »
Unless the rules in the UK have chnaged Sailor, you can call a dealer in Belgium and get a UK spec car there cheaper than in the UK. I dont know if this works for Japanese cars tho' but I gather it used to work for Eu cars.  You can certainly drive to Belgium via the tunnel! ( and bring back a trunk load of great beer)  Turbo Bob will know if one can still get cheap cars in Belgium.

Yep, I bought my MK3 MR2 from Holland, saved 16% on list price.  Lots of people import Japanese cars too, but parts can be harder to get hold of so insurance companies don't like them.  EU law dictates that manufacturers have to honor all warranties in whatever EU country, but the dealer network can be a pain because they know it's an import...

So can you drive to the US and buy a Subaru?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 08:47:24 am »

Yep, I bought my MK3 MR2 from Holland, saved 16% on list price.  Lots of people import Japanese cars too, but parts can be harder to get hold of so insurance companies don't like them.  EU law dictates that manufacturers have to honor all warranties in whatever EU country, but the dealer network can be a pain because they know it's an import...

yes
http://www.cars101.com/canada.html

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 08:59:31 am »

yes

Cool, so they will honour the warranty too... So why don't people do it?  I ordered my MR2 over the internet/phone, then just went and picked it up, no hassle.  OK so I didn't get the dealer fanfare and a bottle of wine etc. but I saved over $6K.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 10:18:36 am »

yes

Cool, so they will honour the warranty too... So why don't people do it?  I ordered my MR2 over the internet/phone, then just went and picked it up, no hassle.  OK so I didn't get the dealer fanfare and a bottle of wine etc. but I saved over $6K.

Lots of confusion and misinformation about importing from the US. A surprising number of people still seem to think that you can't import new fron the US (pre Free Trade days).

Then there is the warranty issue   (I'm given to believe that at least Honda and some of the big three won't honour)

Finally, you can't use manufacturer finance or leasing if you buy stateside.( buying in the US really only works if you can pay cash or finance with a line of credit/home loan etc)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 12:25:22 pm »
Base Imprezas now have rear drum brakes.   :-[

At least the pricing is more agressive.  Too bad they f*cked up on Legacy and Forester pricing with their "incredible same as 2007 pricing."  Yeah, whatever.

I think I'll go look at the 08 Impreza and see it in the tin.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 03:52:05 pm »
It looks like my dad is interested in the new Impreza now (I represent him with my parents cars ).

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 04:25:30 pm »
RE: pricing / dead horse

One would think that on a Subaru, statistically, you shouldn't have very many visits to the dealer.

For the warranty, I think I read somewhere that SoA came up with some agreement where you pay for the cost out of pocket, then send the bill to them, and they reimburse you, but I could be wrong.

So, if you want to save your bucks and can pay cash or secure your own financing, sure, go down and buy a Scoob from Buffalo / Rochester / whatever. Why complain when you have a readily available and not all that bad solution?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 07:06:27 pm »
Pricing on non-WRX/STi Imprezas is now closer to US values, except of course that we still get HOSED on freight/PDI which is $645 in the US and well over a grand here.  However, going base/base the Impreza US is $16,995 for a manny-tranny sedan vs. $20,700 in Canada.  Do the exchange ($16,995 *1.07 (~ bank rate) and add in the 6.1% duty (Impreza is Japanese) and you're at $19,293.  Add in RIV, Canadian Tire bogus charge and you're barely going to save a g-note heading south.

Personally, for a 2008 Impreza (non WRX/STi) I'd buy it here and simply walk away unless they reduced the price enough that I was matching the US price including their reduced freight/PDI.

For a Legacy, forget SoC and buy south of the border.  The base Outback wagon is $21,995 and the 2.5i Outback is  $23,595.  With the Canuck Outback starting at $31,000, the difference is mighty large and gets larger with the turbo and limited models.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 06:49:17 pm »
However, going base/base and manny-tranny do the exchange and add in the duty you're barely going to save a g-note heading south.

Fo' Shizzle!
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 12:40:47 pm »
SUBARU CANADA DEBUTS NEW 2008 IMPREZA
July 26, 2007

All-New Design Includes More Spacious and Refined Interior

Subaru Canada, Inc. (SCI) today launched the all-new 2008 Impreza, with an all-new design and more spacious interior. The 2008 Impreza 2.5i, 2.5i Sport Package and turbo-charged WRX will all be offered in both sedan and 5-door body styles, with a choice of 5-speed manual or 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFTT.

The new Impreza, each of which is equipped with Subaru's outstanding Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive System delivers enhanced handling, performance and safety. Side curtain airbags are now standard across the lineup, and the added safety of Vehicle Dynamics Control has been added to the extensive list of equipment - standard on the 2.5i Sport Package and WRX.

The 2008 Impreza 2.5i and 2.5i Sport Package are built on a new platform with a wheelbase that is 9.5 cm (3.7 inches) longer, for a total of 262 cm (103.1 inches) for improved ride, interior space and utility. A new double-wishbone rear suspension replaces the previous strut-type configuration which allows for increased cargo area as well as improving ride characteristics.

Advanced New Chassis
The new Impreza chassis is designed for improved rigidity and ride comfort with the addition of high-tension steel at key structural points. The new design results in a lower overall weight for the body while the longer wheelbase allows for improved ride dynamics, more interior room and reduced levels of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

To improve handling even more, the engine is positioned even lower in the chassis for a lower centre of gravity. The new chassis also improves crashworthiness and the stiffer platform results in crisper handling. Every 2008 Impreza now features quick-responding steering adapted from the WRX performance model, with 2.8 turns lock-to-lock and a tight 11.8 metre (34.8 foot) turning circle.

Every Impreza is also equipped with 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD).

New Suspension Design Increases Cargo Space
Impreza's all-new double-wishbone rear suspension provides improved ride refinement and decreased road noise for a quieter cabin. At the same time, its compact layout intrudes much less into the cargo area, providing a wider and deeper luggage compartment. On the new 5-door models, the wide and flat load floor can accommodate two Tour-sized golf bags with the rear seats in the upright position.

In the Impreza sedan, which is11.5 cm (4.5 inches) longer than the previous sedan and 16.5 cm (6.5 inches) longer than the new 5-door model, the extra space provides for a larger, deeper trunk that will take three Tour-sized golf bags. On all Impreza models, the 60/40 split-folding rear seat boosts cargo capacity and convenience even further.

Elegant New Exterior Design
The new Impreza features a fresh new design that, on 5-door models, is distinguished by a sweeping roofline curve that flows into the aerodynamic rear spoiler. The front view centres on Subaru's new spread-wing logo design at the top of the wider grille which evokes the company's aircraft heritage. An aggressive lower spoiler enhances the design's sporty character.

The 5-door Impreza also uses a distinctive character line that sweeps upward at the rear. The short rear overhang, new clear tail lamp lenses and a vertical chrome bar combine to integrate the side character line into the rear view.

The 4-door sedans, which are unique to the North American market, have an improved road presence with a wider and sharper front design developing into a crisp side body crease. In addition to red tail lamp lenses, the rear of the sedan has a unique chrome strip that visually widens the tail. The sedan also uses dual tailpipe outlets, one per side, where the 5-door is equipped with a single, larger outlet.

Rich Interior Design
There is a new emphasis on comfort and spaciousness inside every new Impreza. New materials, including double-stitched fabrics and high-grade interior plastics increase the feeling of quality. The flowing twin-cockpit design uses aluminum-look inserts that flow visually into the centre stack. The centre console shape enhances the sense of airiness, supported by the sculpted door panels and improved headroom. Each door panel houses a molded recess that can accommodate a 750 ml (24-oz) soft drink bottle as well as loose items.

New framed side windows contribute to improved body rigidity as well as reducing interior noise as a result of better sealing. Although the interior is the same width as the previous Impreza, the 2008 model has more hip and shoulder room. Larger door openings make it easier to get in and out, and the rear doors open to a full 75 degrees, improving access to the rear seat. The longer wheelbase has enabled more rear seat legroom, and the rear seatback angles recline for improved rear comfort.

User-Friendly Technology
The 2008 Impreza is pre-wired for XM® and SIRIUS ® satellite radio and both the standard and optional audio systems feature the Radio Data System, which can display a variety of information, including song titles and artists.

The headlights-off-with-ignition feature is a traditional Subaru convenience that can help preserve battery life, and the 2008 Impreza is equipped with several important new conveniences. On models with the 5-speed manual transmission, Hill Holder Incline Start Assist is standard on the 2.5i Sport Package and WRX models to help prevent vehicle roll-back.

Imprezas equipped with the optional automatic transmission are pre-wired for a remote-starting system (dealer-installed option). Hood support with dual gas struts eliminates the need for a prop-rod.

Impreza 2.5i Sport Package
The optional Sport Package adds an extra level of performance to the well-equipped Impreza 2.5i, with Vehicle Dynamics Control, solid rear disc brakes, 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels, body-coloured door handles, multi-reflector halogen fog lamps, windshield wiper/de-ice, and heated front seats.

The leather-wrapped steering wheel has integrated audio system controls, and the premium sound system includes an in-dash 6-CD changer, auxiliary audio input, tweeters and upgraded speakers.

For models equipped with the standard 5-speed manual transmission, the Sport Package also includes Subaru's Hill Holder System, which prevents roll-back when starting on an incline.

For 5-door models, the Sport Package also includes aerodynamic body-coloured side ground effects, a rear underbody diffuser, and a retractable cargo cover.

Improved Torque, Better Fuel Economy
The Impreza's 2.5-litre normally aspirated BOXER engine has been refined for 2008 to improve performance, drivability and economy. The engine delivers 170 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 170 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm, still among the most powerful in the segment. A new intake port design helps improve low- and mid-range torque as well as fuel efficiency. A new catalyst system offers improved emissions performance.

Even Higher Levels of Safety
Impreza is built using the proven Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure with front and rear crumple zones. The Impreza incorporates 3-point seatbelts for all seats (height-adjustable for outboard positions), active front seat head restraints, and front seatbelts with electrically triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters.

As a result, Subaru expects that the 2008 Impreza will meet or exceed the stellar crashworthiness of the previous model, which earned the highest accolade from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The IIHS named Impreza a Top Safety Pick in the small car segment when Impreza achieved the highest rating - Good - in frontal offset, side and rear impact tests.

All 2008 Imprezas are equipped with standard side-curtain airbags. The Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbag System (SRS) provides side curtain airbags and a driver's side front airbag that deploys according to the driver's proximity to the steering wheel.

The passenger side front airbag deploys according to information received from a sensor module that determines if the passenger seat is occupied and the weight of the occupant (whether a child or adult). An airbag indicator light is located on the dashboard.

Two Types of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
The foundation of every Subaru is the Symmetrical All-Wheel Driving System. Although more and more manufacturers are adding all-wheel drive, Subaru has been the industry leader in this safety technology since it introduced the first four-wheel-drive passenger cars over 30 years ago and automatic full-time All-Wheel Drive in 1987. Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is standard equipment on every Subaru sold in Canada.

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is a system that includes Subaru's BOXER engine and a full-time power distribution system that lowers the centre of gravity for exceptional handling precision.

The Impreza 2.5i and Sport Package models equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission use a viscous-coupled locking centre differential that splits power 50/50 front and rear, transferring more power to the wheels with the best traction when slippage is detected.

When fitted with the 4-speed direct control automatic transmission, Impreza 2.5i and Sport Package models manage power distribution based on acceleration, deceleration and available traction through an electronically managed, continuously variable transfer clutch. The active system automatically transfers more power to the wheels with the best grip whenever slippage is detected. Control logic in this AWD system enhances stability by monitoring individual wheel speeds and reacting quickly to loss of traction. This control logic also helps improve tight corner braking, reducing oversteer and understeer to provide a stable, neutral handling response.

The 2008 Impreza's automatic transmissions are also newly equipped with Subaru's SPORTSHIFTT technology that can operate in either economy or sport modes and allows 'manual' gear selection when desired.

http://www.subaru.ca/NewsDetail02.asp?ArticleID=4024&OwnerID=&WebPageID=4998&WebSiteID=282

Mitlov

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 12:49:52 pm »
Four-speed automatic and no engine improvements from the current generation?   ::)

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 12:52:31 pm »
The Automatic option means that I can add this one to my list. However 4-speed auto? Doesn't sound like it will be too nice of a ride on the hwy.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 01:19:08 pm »
Even a Honda Fit has a 5AT...come on Subaru, get rid of that 4 speed entirely and give every Subie 5ATs!!! Or 6...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 07:21:11 am »
 ??? ::) Driving a WRX with a slushbox is like wearing 9 condoms and raincoat.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:23:55 am by Sand Man »

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 08:45:19 am »

Well, some people don't have the luxury of buying a manual.

dorin

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 09:15:06 am »

Well, some people don't have the luxury of buying a manual.

Not true. :nono:  There are a few people out there (and here) who have physical limitations that prevent them from driving manual transmissions, but the great majority of people just don't have the desire/willpower to buy a manual.