Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Subaru Tribeca  (Read 26906 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Subaru Tribeca
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 02:52:54 pm »

Our Nissan's have an "auto" setting on the headlight switch. The headlights (not the DRL's) come on automaticly when you start the car if it is dark out (or when you enter a parking garage for that matter) and switch off 60 seconds after you switch off the ignition. I've left my Pathfinder's lights on the auto mode since I bought the car in 02 and have never turned the headlights on or off.

This is the feature I'm talking about. I have it in my Mazda3, but I don't have it in my Outlander and I miss it. Of course, I could leave my headlights on, but I'm not sure if this is quite normal as the lights are too powerfull. This is why another set of lights has been mandated I believe.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:55:56 pm »
All of them.... even my '01 Tiburon did this.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: RE: CTC Review: 2008 Subaru Tribeca
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 03:00:55 pm »
"The price debate is always hot when I review a Subaru, so I will clearly point out the pricing of the 2008 Tribeca. Starting at only $41,995 and well-equipped the Tribeca may very well be one of the pricing stars for Subaru of Canada."

Are you kidding?  The Tribeca opens at US$29995..  That's an exchange rate of 1.40 in my books!

US 29995 equals around 31700 CAD at present exchange rate. So SOC.....where does the other $10,295 CAD go????

*shrug*

Ever look at how much a 350Z costs in the US vs. up here?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 03:24:23 pm »

I don't want to start an argument here, but I think the vast majority of the Canadian vehicles (including Hyundai) do not have DRL on the taillights.
I just went to the corner store and I saw a Hyundai Elantra (previous model) with the DRL on, but no lights in the back.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 03:25:43 pm »
I know the Tib does and the Sonata and most Mercs as well, what do you have against this?  I think it is a huge bonus.  Especially in the evening in the city when half the people are too dumb to remember to turn their headlights on.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 03:40:58 pm »
I know the Tib does and the Sonata and most Mercs as well, what do you have against this?  I think it is a huge bonus.  Especially in the evening in the city when half the people are too dumb to remember to turn their headlights on.

:iagree:  Plus rain, snow, driving out of the sun....what is wrong with these people?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 03:46:13 pm »

I don't want to start an argument here, but I think the vast majority of the Canadian vehicles (including Hyundai) do not have DRL on the taillights.
I just went to the corner store and I saw a Hyundai Elantra (previous model) with the DRL on, but no lights in the back.

I think they used to (my '97 Accent had rear tail lights on when the DRLs were) but no longer. Likely uses gas.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 04:07:50 pm »

I think you misunderstood my points:
1. I like the "Auto ON/OFF Headlights" feature very much. I have it in my Mazda3, but I miss it my Outlander. I consider it very helpful to avoid the situations you described (in bold in my quote from your post), which I often see on the roads.
2. I do not think that you are supposed to use your headlights in daylight except for the situations with low visibility (snow, heavy rain, fog, etc.). For normal weather conditions, the DRL are sufficient and this is what they are meant for and mandatory on all vehicles in Canada. What would be the reason to have them if you could use the headlights instead?
3. I do not agree with you that the majority of the vehicles in Canada have any taillights on with the DRL. The taillights only light up when the parking lights (I think this is how it's called the first position on the light stalk) or the headlights are turned on.
I drive every day on packed highways so I see hundreds of cars in my way, but I don't see any lights in the back of the cars (I'm talking broad daylight and I'm not talking brake lights). I will pay attention today in my way home.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 04:13:42 pm »
Oh I'm not saying the Majority of cars have taillights that light up, certainly not.  I just said there are SOME, very few in fact.

Using your headlights use more fuel, this is why they use a lower voltage DRL nothing to do with it being to bright or anything like that, the reason for the mandated DRL is because people would never turn on their headlights and it uses more fuel.

I agree with 1. sure I like the auto on/off lights as well, just pointing out that ALL subarus are the same, they all have auto OFF lights.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 04:47:49 pm »
Using your headlights use more fuel, this is why they use a lower voltage DRL nothing to do with it being to bright or anything like that, the reason for the mandated DRL is because people would never turn on their headlights and it uses more fuel.

How much extra fuel can this really use?  :think:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 04:50:44 pm »

Would be surprised. I think switching to LED tail lamps shaves 0.2 mpg or something. Same with the switch to electric steering.

I read it's estimated for the average driver, front DRLs alone cost $10 in fuel per year.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:01:57 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 04:53:04 pm »
Oh I'm not saying the Majority of cars have taillights that light up, certainly not.  I just said there are SOME, very few in fact.

I agree with 1. sure I like the auto on/off lights as well, just pointing out that ALL subarus are the same, they all have auto OFF lights.

Not that it matters, but from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp and from other sources, it seems like the DRLs have more to do with the light intensity rather than the fuel consumption.

Going back to Tribeca, the "Auto On/Off Headlights", leather steering wheel w/audio controls and to a certain extent the Bluetooth interface, are features that one should find in a new 2008MY vehicle, selling for $42K. Did I mention that the steering wheel does not telescope? I'm sure that I could find a comfortable driving position, but this feature should be there for many others.
Unfortunately, Tribeca is just another overpriced Subaru (in Canada at least) and their sales numbers show it every month. For the right price, they would sell much better since they are good vehicles.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 04:59:26 pm »

Headlights are a huge draw on power. Some cars even have a relay type system so when you go to engage the starter the headlights turn off briefly.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 05:08:05 pm »
Correction: All Tribeca's have leather steering wheel w/audio controls according with Subaru USA web site.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 08:40:36 pm »

Would be surprised. I think switching to LED tail lamps shaves 0.2 mpg or something. Same with the switch to electric steering.

I read it's estimated for the average driver, front DRLs alone cost $10 in fuel per year.

The reason for LED lights is less amperage,
less amperage small wire,
small wire less weight,
less weight more mileage

avtoller

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »
Lighting requires electricity. Electricity needs to be generated - and that takes energy expenditure. Why do you think A/C decreases gas mileage?  ??? ::) The law of conservation of energy applies.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 09:33:23 pm »

The reason for LED lights is less amperage,
less amperage small wire,
small wire less weight,
less weight more mileage

Less amperage lower power.

Unless someone really jacked up the voltage. But I doubt this.

Still, I would think that the energy required to run the lights is a very, very small fraction of the total energy required to run the car. ???

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 01:23:16 am »
I turn my headlights on every time I get in the car...  this is taught in Young Drivers.  It's a visibility thing - you want to be MORE visible, not less, and headlights > DRLs for being seen.  DRLs were mandated because many people are too stupid to use their headlights, even in rain/fog/dark.  DRLs let them at least be seen.  But headlights are better still.

Why not regulate all cars must have Auto Off headlights?  I don't know, but I would support such a change.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 07:17:14 am »

They use a lower voltage for drls for two reasons.
because they use the MAIN BEAM filament for the DRLS and people would get tickets for driving with main beams on all the time.
The use the main beam filaments to equalize the lifespan of the two filaments in the standard 800x bulb otherwise people would whine about their headlights burning out.
It is a cheapshit way of doing the job.

My old A4 used the fog lights as drls AND turned on all the tail and front markers as well... a good way to do it. rear lights were on and the fogs were not focussed main beams lights. ( the car spolied this somewhat by having red rear indicators but thats another thread  :D  )
My 330 uses separate "headlights" on dipped beam as drls also at low voltage. The other filament is used at full power for flashing at people when the HIDs are not on and so save blinding people with flashing the HID up and down.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 07:43:35 am »
Another light twist : my old '86 Celica would turn off the headlights when you opened the driver's door.  It was probably a feature designed to avoid closing the pop-ups when ice and snow built up on them.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist