Author Topic: CTC Review: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT  (Read 15338 times)

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
Re: CTC Review: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 02:07:52 pm »
Well if you call slip and grip "awd" and not glorified traction control then yeah.

coldcase

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 05:38:23 am »
Anyway, according to the rumor mill, the new Mazda 6 coming in at the beginning of next year will also offer AWD on all model trims, sedan, hatch and wagon.  I hope they do that.  Subaru will drop their prices when their sales will drop.  What saves them for now is that they sell plenty of base trim models or base outbacks.  When that market start to look elsewhere also they'll have to do something. 

Right now, they don't and won't listen because they sell plenty of base imprezas, Foresters and Outbacks and WRX.  GT, SpecB and top of the line Outbacks are overpriced, everybody knows it.  Can't even find a Legacy GT in Montreal to test drive because dealers don't want them on their lots for 2 years...So they have plenty of base models in inventory... ::)

curls

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:48 am »
I like the new visuals on the rating system, James. ;)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 10:04:13 am »
So from now on the rating's gonna be in 'Canadian Red' eh?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:36 am »
I tried black and it was hard to see the half wheels, red was the answer.

What if I used green for 3 and greater and red for less than 3? :P

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 10:19:50 am »
Green. meaning go for it,  red would be to stop it? That could work and support the Harpers and Suzukis of the world and the Green Party too- they would be lulled into believing. ;D ;)

scottmcphee

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 01:06:39 am »
re: expecting one-touch up / down windows. A $50 module buys one-touch... I put one it in my Legacy.  And added another module for up/down from the remote.. too cool.

To me the thing about electronics defining "luxury" is over-rated.  Who would dump $2000 on a so-so car nav option when very good portable nav's these days are $300 and declining ? 

Get a good car with good mechanicals, reliable stuff, then adorn it with only the stuff you think you need.  Why be forced to take a car manufacturer's version of electronic things, that you know are a generation or two behind to begin with?   

Most German "luxury" cars have a heck of time with reliability to begin with, and are extremely bad at electricals... Mercedes, VW, Audi... constantly poor electrical.  They should stop that and re-focus on making good cars again.

BernardP

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 10:21:26 am »
I am the owner of a 2005 Legacy 2.5 i. I like it, and will be looking at the '08, but the pricing is irritating. Nobody likes being laughed at.

Subaru Canada should look in the newspaper and see that the canadian dollar is around $0.94 US, not $0.70.

I also find it frustrating being forced to get a $2000 Touring package to get heated seats and heated windshield on a 2.5 i. Subaru has stripped their base model 2.5 i to force me into the options package.

For the canadian price of the Legacy GT, I could get myself a reasonnably-equipped Audi A4. It's really a no-brainer when the price of the pseudo-Audi is higher than the real thing.

Offline ppl4golf

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 01:50:45 pm »
I think the strategies of SOC is working well LOL!

Price gouge us because we are still buying it. Remember that most % of return custumer BS planted into our head ?? There is absolutely no need for them to change anything. The base models are selling pretty good, they are all over the roads, the pricing/quality is still within range with what they are competing against.

I't's time to boycott SOC, or get a hefty dealer discount :~)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:47 am »
I think the strategies of SOC is working well LOL!

Price gouge us because we are still buying it. Remember that most % of return custumer BS planted into our head ?? There is absolutely no need for them to change anything. The base models are selling pretty good, they are all over the roads, the pricing/quality is still within range with what they are competing against.

I't's time to boycott SOC, or get a hefty dealer discount :~)

I agree...Their sales don't seem to be in trouble and SoC has to be making HUGE margins per unit.No way they're going to change pricing as long as that remains the case.

I'd guess plenty of average buyers either don't know how badly they're being ripped off or still believe that you can't import new cars from the US..

As far as hefty dealer discounts are concerned I'd be willing to bet that dealer margins haven't grown much and that it's SoC and other Canadian arms of manufacturers that are pocketing the windfall profits from today's exchange rate.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 12:34:32 am »
Their sales don't seem to be in trouble and SoC has to be making HUGE margins per unit.No way they're going to change pricing as long as that remains the case.

Not according to dealers I know.  They can't move Tribecas, Legacy GT or loaded Outback models to save their lives.  Dealers in Calgary and Lethbridge are watching massive sales #'s driving south to Montana.  The dealer in Kalispell does a significant business in BC and Alberta, and it's just getting better for them by the minute...

Leviathan

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 01:17:06 am »
Some people just like them i guess.

My Dad has an 08 2.5i Limited on order. Now to me 35K for a car with a 175 HP 4cyl and 4 speed auto seems a bit much when other comparables have engines putting out 200 hp plus and and in many cases 5 speed autos but bviously this appeals to some people.

There re people who are going to pay for AWD and non of these cars

Sonata GLS V6 Premium
Camry SE V6
TSX
Accord V6 EX
Mazda6 V6 GT

Offer it.

Its probaly why Subaru gets away with their pricing in Canada. We love our AWD. I know I did when I had my Impreza.

Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L AWD   Automatic 6 Speed   $30,799   
If I REALLY wanted AWD I'd get the Fusion.

Dodge has the Avenger R/T AWD for $30,895 also with a 6 speed automatic.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 08:56:08 am »
Their sales don't seem to be in trouble and SoC has to be making HUGE margins per unit.No way they're going to change pricing as long as that remains the case.

Not according to dealers I know.  They can't move Tribecas, Legacy GT or loaded Outback models to save their lives.  Dealers in Calgary and Lethbridge are watching massive sales #'s driving south to Montana.  The dealer in Kalispell does a significant business in BC and Alberta, and it's just getting better for them by the minute...

Well...Sub sales were up a fair bit for June 07 over 06 so maybe they're making enough on the lower end "bread and butter" line that they don't care about the high end cars?

TO_Raptor

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 07:39:04 pm »
I don't think SOC is dropping prices anytime soon. They might offer incentives like cheaper interest rates and rebates but a base price drop is questionable.

And with the 2008 - What the heck is with the move with removing heated seats from the base legacy. While other manufacturers add more with time - Subaru decides to take away what they already have unless you pay more - that's a cash grab tactic right there. New prospective customers and current owners should start giving them feedback like this about the pricing and the features even if it is the auto window up/down. :)

BernardP you should get in touch with me. I am looking to move my 2006 2.5i SE sedan. It has the heated seats and the windshield warmer you are looking for.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 01:25:48 am »
Go to Subaru Canada's web site and hit the FAQ.  #1 and #2 are about warranty coverage for US cars in Canada and importing a US car into Canada.  I think SoC knows what's going on, is hearing a ton of griping from it's dealers, but is moving very slowly.