Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Lexus IS250 RWD  (Read 41140 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Lexus IS250 RWD
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40:16 pm »
I think the 3 and IS are closer then TSX

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 10:16:59 pm »
I concentrated on the IS steering this morning and it's communication, it felt really great to me, with good direct steering feel and you could feel road undulations coming from the wheel.  In a FWD car you feel the wheels grab bumps and shoot sideways a little especially under power.  Not so with RWD for obvious reasons.

It's interesting to hear your comments and those of others who've tried both. I am looking forward to trying RWD again someday in the future.

I think I tested an IS250AWD with the 17 wheels like nm. Perhaps that helps explain the slightly lesser "feel" I experienced. I'm not an expert by any means but for me, what I mean by "feel" is just the feeling of communicating with the car and the response of the car and vice versa. I am having trouble explaining it exactly. For example, when I turn our Camry, I know the car is turning, but I can't feel the precision of my turn, the response back, etc. With the TSX, it feels much, much more like an extension of my own body, in terms of precise modulations and ability to feel the response.

nm

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 11:48:28 am »
I appreciate James covering the steering feel in his 3rd write-up, as the forum had shown some interest in this. This is an advantage of being able to write a review while receiving some feedback on a daily basis.

In his defense, I'd admit that it is difficult to compare vehicles if you haven't driven them back-to-back or consecutively in a short period of time.  We tend to use what we have become accustomed to as a base of comparison, so it would be difficult for him to accurately compare the IS and the TSX, since I believe the lasttime he said he drove one was in 2004.  I've testdriven identical models at separate times and often they felt different the 2nd time around, or I'd pick up new things that I didn't notice simply because my daily driver had changed since the first time.

Both the TSX and IS250 start at ~$37k.  TSX has a sunroof, leather seats, and HIDs standard, while one has to add $3650 to get the sunroof and leather in the IS250.

I would not expect Lexus to be selling a whole lot of these non-leather IS's, as the cloth seats, although some prefer over leather, look extremely out of place in the Lexus' near "best quality in class" interior. That is unless however, someone buys one of these, and has the interior re-upholstered (~$1200) aftermarket, as it is popular these days, then now you have a serious case against the TSX (provided you do not care much for HIDs, or a sunroof).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 01:38:53 pm »
trying to impart "FEELINGS!!" ooowww wooo feelings thru some abbreviated test and word games ain't gonna convince anyone....GET YER ARSE into the vehicle(s) U are interested in ....................Jeebus Christi........ya lot don't even have a FULL FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL attached to yer naggers.............. :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 03:00:56 pm »
nice shoes on the 250   :drool:
Those are some of the best looking stock wheels I've seen.

phatboyc

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
"The only negative I can point out in the interior is the steering wheel, with a blank button which looks somewhat out of place."

This is for the talk button. An option you have when you get the gps. It's nice when you are searching for a type restaurant. All you have to say is something like, "fast food restaurant" or "Italian restaurant". Then it find the closest one and guide you to it. I like it. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:52:06 am by phatboyc »

phatboyc

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 10:10:16 am »
Do you think the Limted Slip is a 'must have' item on this type of car?

What it has is a semi-LSD. With the VDIM option it is impossible to spin one tire for more than 4%. When I disable VDIM and spin the tires on a small curve or straight line they both always light up evenly. Unless you want to go to the track there is no need for full LSD. Note my experience is only with the IS350. 

phatboyc

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:15 am »
I wonder how the Toyota 2.5L would respond to a turbo kit?  Much as I love the IS250 (imo they look absolutely stunning), the 250 is underpowered and the 350 cannot be had with a proper manual tranny.  The power problem is persistent across the board, but at least the competition offers a manual gearbox in their more powerful machines...

I think, though, that a 250 with the right modifications would be a real pleasure...  :D

As of right now there is no turbo kit available for any ISX50. There is a supercharger kit available but from what is gathered in Lexus forums the price is astronomical and the power gains are still un-proven.

You should note that most of the high end sports cars nowadays do not come with a manual tranny. This is the way we are heading. I for one love the paddle shifters on the IS.

mdxtasy

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 10:22:47 am »

Semi-auto's with paddle shiiters are probably a better shifter than I am in a manual.  Quicker gear changes, better and more consistent throttle blips....everything you need to race and lower lap times.  Only difference is I am not racing on track.  I'll take the slower row your own tranny thanks. 

ek01

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2007, 10:37:45 am »
I only recently got the base IS250 with automatic.  No AWD, no leather, no sunroof.

I have gone from a 2002 BMW 330 and note the following: 1) The torque difference is noticeable but the HP difference is not material in everyday world.  I compensate for this by working the semi-automatic transmission more oftern and  shifting at higher revs. 2) The gas mileage difference is significant - combined city/highway (65/35) is at least 4l/100kms better than the 330. That adds up to about a $1,200 a year for me. 3) Stereo is just as good. 4) Interior finish is similiar. 4) IS is much quieter. 5) Difficult blind spots in the IS.  With the BMW, if you adjust the mirrors just right, there is no blind spot and no need to turn your head around 6) the IS trunk is noticeably larger. 7) The side glass on the IS is better at keeping out the sun's heat. 8)  All in all a worthwhile everyday car.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
Ah Brigitte.... remember you... me... the IS250 at the auto show?  Sweet dreams and bliss.  To be back there again.... <sigh>  :love: :drool:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2007, 05:39:23 pm »
Had an extended test drive in a loaded IS250AWD yesterday.

Variable steering assist thing put me off, way too light when slow, but it felt decent at speed. No more nor less firm than the TSX at highway speeds.

Turning radius is about 100x better than the TSX.
Interior is quieter (much less wind noise). Build quality all around is two steps ahead of the TSX.
Engine is extremely smooth. Quieter when pushed than TSX. Much better response below 3K.
Didn't wring out the handling a whole lot...as I found out it was riding on Pirelli SnowSports ??? Didn't give any obvious indications either way, but certainly on paper it will be much more neutral. But again, at lower speeds the variable assist could make it hard to judge.

I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong car now. And I'm pretty sure what my next car, finances permitting, will be. Just rip out that stupid variable assist.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:41:07 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2007, 05:43:04 pm »
RWD turning radius should always be better than FWD

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2007, 05:45:38 pm »
RWD turning radius should always be better than FWD

But what about AWD, like my tester?

The gap between the IS and TSX was enormous. I was almost certain I would have to put it into reverse...but the car made it in easily.

Mitlov

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:06 pm »

Variable steering assist thing put me off, way too light when slow, but it felt decent at speed. No more nor less firm than the TSX at highway speeds.

Interior is quieter (much less wind noise). Build quality all around is two steps ahead of the TSX.
Engine is extremely smooth. Quieter when pushed than TSX. Much better response below 3K.
Didn't wring out the handling a whole lot...as I found out it was riding on Pirelli SnowSports ??? Didn't give any obvious indications either way, but certainly on paper it will be much more neutral. But again, at lower speeds the variable assist could make it hard to judge.

I'm pretty sure I bought the wrong car now. And I'm pretty sure what my next car, finances permitting, will be. Just rip out that stupid variable assist.

Drop me a PM if you're selling your TSX.  (I'm only half-kidding).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2007, 06:17:44 pm »
Interesting AWD usually isn't that great either, Subaru's are not.  I guess Lexus does it right.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2007, 07:36:54 pm »

It's too bad we pay more for it here than you do there, which wouldn't make Canadian TSXs as interesting for you....

mmret, see if trading it in in a year would give you similar trade-in value versus trading in now. (given you car is so new; unless your mileage will increase very much). This should allow you to save more if you'd like. When you're comfortable with the cost, you gotta drive what you really love, that's what I think....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:19:03 pm by Julie »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:11 pm »
Interesting AWD usually isn't that great either, Subaru's are not.  I guess Lexus does it right.

It might be something Toyota does particularly well. The turning radius on our Camry is amazing, and I think you said in a previous review Wing that the Sienna had a great turning radius too. Makes the turning radius on the TSX seem even worse than it already is.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2007, 08:09:01 pm »

It's too bad we pay more for it here than you do there, which wouldn't make Canadian TSXs as interesting for you....

mmret, see if trading it in in a year would give you similar trade-in value versus trading in now. (unless your mileage will increase very much). This should allow you to save more if you'd like. When you're comfortable with the cost, you gotta drive what you really love, that's what I think....

While I'd love to drive an IS, and while it might not hurt my monthly cashflow that much, I just don't think its financially responsible to do so. There is nothing wrong with the TSX, and I need to start my mortgage downpayment fund.

I think the most realistic option to get into an IS would be to hold on for 3-4 years or so. By then, I will have a house, and hopefully a new generation IS250 will be out / just around the corner, causing prices to go down on the current generation across the board. Just need to find that gently used 1 year old 2009 IS250... :)

Caveat: its possible that I could actually gain money from flipping the car, though only if I'm really good with the stock market. Would probably need to get something like 15% growth to break even from the car flip (just a mental math guess)

Mitlov: don't think you'd be happy with a slushbox :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:12:02 pm by mmret »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2007, 08:20:41 pm »
3-4 year is the most 'rationale' choice, given you want that house first. Although maybe you'll be even more enamoured with the new IS.......  ;)