Author Topic: CD Article: Dodge Viper, 1993-2002  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Dodge Viper, 1993-2002
« on: June 28, 2007, 01:37:06 am »
Today's Used Vehicle Review:
Dodge Viper, 1993-2002

Dodge Viper, 1993-2002For some reason, older Vipers hold their value better than newer ones, reports Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  Reliability is "tough to judge" - the best way is to check out owner sites like ViperClub.org, he says.  

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All the Used Vehicle Reviews

mdxtasy

Re: CD Article: Dodge Viper, 1993-2002
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:12:02 am »
These things sound so menacing.  It's not easy to see one on the streets and the original swoopy body style (especially the GTS coupe) is so smooth and sexy. 

It's not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the stuff the biggest arse engine you can fit philosophy.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 06:53:46 am »
Having been a passenger in a 2005 and seeing more than a few of these things in body shops being written off after being wrapped around a tree I'm convinced you should need to have a driving course before owning one.

Most drivers (likely including me) are not capable of handling these cars if they try to push them. The back tires will spin in 3rd gear. The acceleration is so fierce you are almost always approaching things much faster than you think. No abs in some cars. Massive power oversteer. no traction control no stability control.

Its a fantastic thrill ride but experience tells me that its not a toy to be trifled with.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:37:38 am »
That's why companies like Ferrari and Porsche offer courses to their buyers.  They realize 99% of drivers that can afford these things can't drive them properly so they teach them, making them safer on the roads as they understand the capabilities in a controlled environment.

Chevy should do this with the Vette and Dodge with the Viper or any of their SRT machines like the SRT-4 or whatever it is called now.

mdxtasy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:09 am »
That's why companies like Ferrari and Porsche offer courses to their buyers.  They realize 99% of drivers that can afford these things can't drive them properly so they teach them, making them safer on the roads as they understand the capabilities in a controlled environment.

I think that's a great idea. Model specific car clubs also offer driving courses....

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:18:19 am »
Most people laugh when I say stuff like that like "Oh I could handel it" but I work with the insurance indsutry, body shops and total loss valuations and Vipers are rare cars in canada but I've seen a disproportinate amount of them totaled. now mind you its not as hard to total one as you think.

Replace and refinish the hood $29,000! That's just the hood (its a clamshell that includes the front fenders etc).
Hey not that bad a driver and just bang into a pole and need a new front bumper. That's cheap $4,000!

I like fast cars. The guy I drove in the 05 used to race professionally. I'd like to drive one (other than just around the parking lot as I did just to say i drove it) but they are an evil MF if you get out of shape. Its just way too much power for the average person on a public road. At least cars like  Corvette or Porsche have a stability control system that will save your butt if you decide to be a dick. Vipers do not.

Everyone should get a ride in one of these suckers though. Totally changes your perception of what powerful is.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:12 pm »
I know that CD generally provides reliability info in used car reviews, but come on...if you're thinking about buying a Viper, and you're worried about reliability, you've missed the point of the car entirely.  There is absolutely positively nothing practical about this.  It's an emotional statement on four wheels.

saiks

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:55:02 pm »
Hey

I've been a viper fan since I was 12 when they first came out back in 92, I purchased my 2000 viper rt/10 back in 05.  They are an awsome car to drive and own.  Hand built exotic looking, muscle machines.  Mine is 1 of 99 in my colour combo.

Some points to mention in regards to the article written are, the ACR's first year was 1999 and continued till 2002.  And in regards to the airbags etc, they first appeared in 1996 when the GTS was introduced and later carried over to the RT/10's in 1997.  Also in regards to the pricing of Viper's the red book, NADA, blue book etc the prices are not inline to what the actual market value when we are talking about the used Viper market.  Also the question of whether the Viper is a reliable car or not, it is extremly reliable.  The Viper's are handbuilt/assembled cars.  The engine are very reliable and don't see much stress due to the size of the engine.  They are extremly easy to work on,  no superchargers, turbos, electronic gadgets etc,.  There are many Vipers over the 100,000 miles(not KM) and coutning.

The Viper is a rare car and even rarier in Canada and worth more in the Canadian market.  The 1992- 2002 Viper's have now depreciated to its lowest point and have now leveled off and some are actually on the incline.

No

saiks

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:04:19 pm »
Some other points to mention is the production years of GEN 1 and 2 Vipers were from 1992 to 2002.  Also the 1996 RT/10 had was rated at 415 HP not 420 as per the article.  However the 450HP GEN 2 motor was first introduced in 1996 with the GTS and later with the Rt/10's in 1997.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 01:34:49 pm »
I know that CD generally provides reliability info in used car reviews, but come on...if you're thinking about buying a Viper, and you're worried about reliability, you've missed the point of the car entirely.  There is absolutely positively nothing practical about this.  It's an emotional statement on four wheels.

Which is almost exactly what I wrote in the last paragraph.  ;D

And, saiks, thanks a lot for chiming in. Appreciate your input.  8)
I used to work here.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 04:03:10 pm »

Note to self: read until the end next time before commenting ;)

mdxtasy

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:08:46 pm »

Note to self: read until the end next time before commenting ;)

So Mr. Lawyer...you 'read' disposition transcripts do ya?   ;D

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 05:12:37 pm »
So Mr. Lawyer...you 'read' disposition transcripts do ya?   ;D

Pay me to surf this site, and I'll be as careful here as I am at work ;)