Author Topic: Cars I wish we had here in Canada  (Read 34872 times)

jbbadboy

Re: Cars I wish we had here in Canada
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:21 pm »
I've always liked the Scion xB's and the new 2008's are much better than the first generation. The tC's are pretty nice (on paper) as well.

I always thought selling Scions could make a lot of money in Canada and wonder why they aren't here by now.

The new xB is an abomination compared to the original.  It's too big, way too heavy, and it looks like a rounded bloated version of its former self.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

What's wrong with increasing interior room along with motor size and HP in the new xB? It's not like it's meant to be a light weight and sleek sports car. Practical roominess is what it's there for. It would be nice if this was sold in Canada and I think it would sell a lot of units up here.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2007, 11:09:21 pm »
I've always liked the Scion xB's and the new 2008's are much better than the first generation. The tC's are pretty nice (on paper) as well.

I always thought selling Scions could make a lot of money in Canada and wonder why they aren't here by now.

The new xB is an abomination compared to the original.  It's too big, way too heavy, and it looks like a rounded bloated version of its former self.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

What's wrong with increasing interior room along with motor size and HP in the new xB? It's not like it's meant to be a light weight and sleek sports car. Practical roominess is what it's there for. It would be nice if this was sold in Canada and I think it would sell a lot of units up here.

I have seen many xB's (previous gens) on our roads, with Ontario plates here. I am a personal fan (looks+room wise) but I haven't driven one.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2007, 11:36:22 pm »
Thank you for all the good wishes, Canada!

We married 4 months ago, so I guess I'm an experienced husband now :P

And yes, I laid surfing the net aside, there were other priorities...

Congrats on the wedding!  Best wishes to both of you for a happy future together.

(BTW, you drive a Berlingo, right?)

I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2007, 09:01:17 pm »

Really like the Euro Civic, though I much prefer the NA Civic / CSX front end. Poked around that website for it (posted here a while ago) and they really do pack a lot of premium features into that thing. IIRC it was better than the top-spec CSX, plus you could get diesel, plus hatch.

I guess NA just doesn't "get" the premium economy car idea (CSX excepted?).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2007, 02:26:47 pm »
I really am a fan of the european/UK Civic - including the front end!

Frankly, I don't think NA gets option packages well at all any more. The Peugeot 307 diesel estate we rented had forward-aft moving seats all-around (yes in all three rear positions too), fully automatic/heated mirrors (they even automatically close into the body when the vehicle is locked with the remote), cruise, 5 CD changer, auto up-down windows all around, auto-sensing headlights, auto-sensing wipers (they really came in handy in England this time around), full audio controls at the steering wheel (a-la Peugeot, they are on stalks behind the steering wheel, but very easy to us), full trip computer and then some (you could check status of tyre pressure, outside temperature, etc.), back-up sensor, dual zone auto-climate control, 4 wheel disc brakes, alloys, blue tooth, and more. And this was a base vehicle. In fact the only glaring missing feature was a dead pedal which I have become very accustomed to in both our Sonata and Accent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:22:19 pm by jww »
JWW

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2007, 02:45:40 pm »
But how much does it cost?   I suspect that it would appear outrageously expensive for a small car here in NA. IIRC a 307 is A3 sized maybe 1/2 way between an A3 and A4
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2007, 03:49:51 pm »
Civic Type R which is a big seller here would be virtually $40K, tell me anyone in Canada/US would pay that for a small Honda hatch?

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2007, 03:54:40 pm »
Civic Type R which is a big seller here would be virtually $40K, tell me anyone in Canada/US would pay that for a small Honda hatch?

Maybe (even then) if it had an Acura badge on it, Honda doesn't have the legs for a $40K compact hatch IMO.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2007, 05:22:47 pm »

Maybe (even then) if it had an Acura badge on it, Honda doesn't have the legs for a $40K compact hatch IMO.
UK market is not a good comparo with auto prices to N.A. prices. The Type-R in Estonia , Race variant is CAD28,500 on the road price and the Plus variant is CAD31,800 on the road

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2007, 02:04:24 pm »
 :iagree:

Case in point - the Astra which Saturn will sell here for around $17K or so, starts higher than that when you convert the British sterling to CDN $. The thing about buying power in the UK is that they tend to spend a pound like we spend a dollar - so gas for us at 93.9 cents/liter is currently running 93 pence sterling/liter.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2007, 05:31:12 pm »
:iagree:

Case in point - the Astra which Saturn will sell here for around $17K or so, starts higher than that when you convert the British sterling to CDN $. The thing about buying power in the UK is that they tend to spend a pound like we spend a dollar - so gas for us at 93.9 cents/liter is currently running 93 pence sterling/liter.

:iagree: But the reason that the NA market will never get the level of quality in a Euro interior and the higher grade plastics etc is purely because people won't pay for them, regardless of income.  NA consumers generally believe bigger is better, so will always compare a high quality civic, with something bigger, more powerful and lower quality.  Yet believe they have the "better" car.

I'm not saying it's better or not, it's just a cultural difference.  It's just a shame that for the few consumers in the NA market that want the Euro focus or civic, it's not available.
 :)

P.S. and even though is seems like $ = £, all your stuff is cheaper, so stop moaning!  :rofl2:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2007, 09:41:44 am »
True enough - it would just be nice to have some real options other than what we currently have.

Oh - and while I love visiting the UK - I'll take my lower Canadian cost of living over the expense you poor Brits have just to make ends meet. I honestly don't know how people do it - housing is through the roof, fuel is costly, etc. Other than food which is for the most part the same or cheaper, it's not an inexpensive proposition to live outside of NA these days. Look on the bright side - you have EPL and we don't. I guess we all have our crosses to bear  ;)

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2007, 11:50:14 am »
  I would really like to see some of the diesel engine options from Europe moreso then the cars them selves. Admittedly the Peugeot 206 and Renault Megane would be intriguing but I'm afraid I remember all to well the Renault Fuego, LeCar and Encore and don't think till any Renault had been in the marketplace here for 10 years i would chance buying one of them.
  If the Saturn Astra was coming with even one of the diesel options I'm led to believe are available in Europe I would be haunting the nearest Saturn dealer about test driving one as soon as they had one
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2007, 05:47:35 pm »
True enough - it would just be nice to have some real options other than what we currently have.

Oh - and while I love visiting the UK - I'll take my lower Canadian cost of living over the expense you poor Brits have just to make ends meet. I honestly don't know how people do it - housing is through the roof, fuel is costly, etc. Other than food which is for the most part the same or cheaper, it's not an inexpensive proposition to live outside of NA these days. Look on the bright side - you have EPL and we don't. I guess we all have our crosses to bear  ;)

???

Is that English Premier League? or Edmonton Public Library?

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2007, 11:35:28 am »
...you have EPL and we don't. I guess we all have our crosses to bear  ;)

???

You are kidding, right?

Now, if only Man Utd could get on track - pretty awful start to the season, especially loosing in the derby to City - uuugghhh! Well - City haven't won any silver in what - close to 30 years? They need something to get excited about (and going 3 wins to start the season seems like a good start - even if they are City).

But then, I digress ... yes, bring on more diesels.  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »
...you have EPL and we don't. I guess we all have our crosses to bear  ;)

???

You are kidding, right?

Now, if only Man Utd could get on track - pretty awful start to the season, especially loosing in the derby to City - uuugghhh! Well - City haven't won any silver in what - close to 30 years? They need something to get excited about (and going 3 wins to start the season seems like a good start - even if they are City).

But then, I digress ... yes, bring on more diesels.  ;D

It was not a good weekend...  :(  One more loss and Utd won't be winning anything this season...

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2007, 04:29:57 pm »
Bob I respect you but...

United is a long way away from being out of the title chase... They have dominated the first three games of the season and will find their scoring touch... and when they do... YEAH!!!

On the other hand Chelski have looked dreadful, especially against Reading.

Loserpool can't win away from Anfield... Torres is no saviour and Gerrard is a whiner...

ARSEnal are two years away from competing again...

Everton, nope... Will cause the big four some headaches but that's it

Sven can't keep Citeh winning... Out of the race by Xmas...

The Spurs? lol.... Jol is on his way out...

This season the EPL will be won with less than 90 points...

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2007, 04:55:30 pm »
Ah yes - from european cars to football - can it get any better?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2007, 07:57:34 am »
Bob I respect you but...

United is a long way away from being out of the title chase... They have dominated the first three games of the season and will find their scoring touch... and when they do... YEAH!!!

On the other hand Chelski have looked dreadful, especially against Reading.

Loserpool can't win away from Anfield... Torres is no saviour and Gerrard is a whiner...

ARSEnal are two years away from competing again...

Everton, nope... Will cause the big four some headaches but that's it

Sven can't keep Citeh winning... Out of the race by Xmas...

The Spurs? lol.... Jol is on his way out...

This season the EPL will be won with less than 90 points...

I support Utd, but I bet you $10 they don't win the league this year.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2007, 08:48:31 am »
I'll bet you a tenner that they will win 2 major trophies this year. One being the EPL (and no, I don't consider the Community Shield or Carling Cup major trophies).

:cheers: