Author Topic: Cars I wish we had here in Canada  (Read 34902 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Cars I wish we had here in Canada
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2007, 12:36:04 pm »
Isn't the Toyota Verso already here - as the Matrix?
Verso is quite different...

Has seating for 7, competes with Opel Zafira, Kia Rondo, Mazda5...

Pic is deceiving - this thing is about the size of a Kia Rondo/Mazda5.

Is everyone under 4 ft?

It competes with Rondo and Mazda5.  The pic is deceiving...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:17:33 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 02:15:19 pm »
Isn't the Toyota Verso already here - as the Matrix?
Verso is quite different...

Has seating for 7, competes with Opel Zafira, Kia Rondo, Mazda5...

Pic is deceiving - this thing is about the size of a Kia Rondo/Mazda5.

Is everyone under 4 ft?

Saw Ranodo the other day , to seat 7 it look like everyone would have to be under 4 ft to fit inside

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:54 pm »
To be honest, other than the BMW 1 Series which is coming, and maybe some diesels from BMW and others, I don't care if many of the European models come here. There seems to be a lot of choice in the market place already, but I know that I'm the "odd man out" on this topic.  ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

avtoller

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:02 pm »
To be honest, other than the BMW 1 Series which is coming, and maybe some diesels from BMW and others, I don't care if many of the European models come here. There seems to be a lot of choice in the market place already, but I know that I'm the "odd man out" on this topic.  ;)

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, Ovr. Bringing back Renault, Alfa, Fiat, etc. might seem like fun, but dealer networks would be exceedingly thin, service terrible, parts availability awful, etc. Add to that the famous European reliability, and I'd pass - even if there were a dealer within 200 km of PA.  ;)

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2007, 03:30:26 pm »
Now that we're getting a good selection of subcompacts, I don't think we're missing that much.

What about Skoda and Seat products?

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2007, 03:40:51 pm »
Now that we're getting a good selection of subcompacts, I don't think we're missing that much.

Don't we already have them?

Skoda Superb = VW Passat?
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2007, 05:00:56 pm »

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, Ovr. Bringing back Renault, Alfa, Fiat, etc. might seem like fun, but dealer networks would be exceedingly thin, service terrible, parts availability awful, etc. Add to that the famous European reliability, and I'd pass - even if there were a dealer within 200 km of PA.  ;)

:rofl2: No one buys an Alfa Romeo because it's reliable, they buy it for THAT engine... :drool:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2007, 06:14:13 am »
 :iagree: :iagree: and the looks... and the just right feel of an Alfa.     I have not driven one for 30+ years so maybe they are crap now but they still look great.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2007, 08:00:18 am »
A colleague has a 147 GTA, and it's schweeet!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2007, 05:52:42 pm »

From what I've read in UK, German , and French car mags, Alfa's reliability is improving...  French cars seem to be at the bottom of the Euro quality surveys.  Any views Bob?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2007, 06:21:41 pm »

From what I've read in UK, German , and French car mags, Alfa's reliability is improving...  French cars seem to be at the bottom of the Euro quality surveys.  Any views Bob?

French cars still don't seem to do that well in reliability surveys, although the diesels have very strong engines, can go on for 200K+ miles.  The sportier hatchbacks are amazing, have a read of the R26 review, they look great in the metal!

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/renault/megane+renaultsport/5354/

Alfa's reliability IS improving, a guy that works for me has had numerous Alfa's, and when I say numerous, I think his family has had about 23+ so they know all about them. They still have some issues, but are getting much better.  I nearly bought one instead of the Subaru  :o  but I couldn't find one soon enough.

Fiat doesn't really sell anything interesting at the moment.

I suppose they way to look at it is if you spend say $30K on a car then lets say it costs $20K to make it, you decide where you want they money spent.  For me it would be on the handling, engine, and styling.  For some it would be on safety equipment, fuel efficiency, and reliability.  Each manufacturer decides that mix, and the customer determines what is important to them.

Japanese cars will always win on the reliability stakes, partly on proof, partly on reputation, but it takes years to build that up.  I had intermittent problems with the BMW Z4 I owned, which I was dissapointed with in a car in that price range.  I think Alfa, or Renault, or even Peugeot would do very well in Canada and the U.S., they have some very stylish cars and people would by them for the exclusivity at first.

:)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2007, 06:57:40 pm »
I think French cars would be a sure hit in Québec.  In their peak sales year in Canada in the '80s, Renault sold 10,000 R5s (marketed as Le Car in North America) in Québec alone.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2007, 02:23:13 pm »
Sarkovsky's werkin on it..................... :rofl2: butt how U say feerst wee heve to get the exzeestential  philosophy sorted out,zen zee quality..... :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:24:53 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2007, 10:24:53 pm »
I stopped into the Ferrari/Maserati dealership on Steeles in Toronto about a month ago to ask about the Alfas coming to Canada.

The sales manager told me dealership will be in...where else...Woodbridge...in that Automall they have there.  He said I could come back in a year and he'd have a car to sell me.

Make mine Red on the outside...and Tan on the inside...the Alfa that is.

loser40

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2007, 05:19:10 pm »
Hmmm...

The only good French car maker is Bugatti and that's owned by the VW Group and managed by Audi, all other French cars are crap imo, sure, they do well in the Euro crash tests but bits fall off every five minutes and they age prematurely cos they're made of the cheapest of cheap plastics.  Its a shame about Citroen, I loved there 1960's/70's/ & early 80's larger cars, but now they just churn out euro-boxes.

Alfa Romeo has a great pedigree but alas that's all it has, the cars they currently produce are no better dynamically than other marques which is a shame cos in the '50's & 60's they made some wonderful machines.

Just my two penny's worth.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2007, 11:01:44 am »
We just got back from our month in the UK and as promised, I wanted to run up a quick report on our rental car.

We had reserved an Astra Estate or comparable - and ended up with a Peugeot 307 Estate with the 1.6 HDi diesel engine.

What an excellent drive. The tubo-diesel was easily the best small engine I have ever driven. It had tons of low-end torque (obviously) and plenty of pickup no matter what the gear or driving conditions. There was no detectable turbo lag at all - nor that low-end chugging typical of diesel engines of days gone by. Nor was there any of the tell-tale black diesel smoke.

For all intents and purposes this was like driving a normally aspirated car with the advantages of diesel mileage/efficiency. I was so impressed that I am anxiously waiting the 3.0 diesel Vera Cruz that is due out sometime in 2010 for our next potential car purchase. Emissions issues aside, why-oh-why can't we get more diesels over here? You see virtually no hybrids on the road over there (ok, I admit to sighting a handful of Civic Hybrids) - they simply are seen as a north american cult thing by the brits.

And while I am on the topic - I would really prefer to see the Civic from over there here. It's way more exciting to look at than the current boring options we have here at the moment.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:29:30 am by jww »
JWW

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2007, 11:41:16 am »
Agree on the Civic hatchback. I know the argument is that we already have the Fit and the CR-V, but Toyota seems to be doing pretty well in Canada with the Matrix despite selling the Yaris and Rav4.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2007, 12:03:05 pm »
If it’s any consolation, I hear that the designer in charge of the 2nd generation Fit is same one who did the Civic Hatch.  :)

jbbadboy

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2007, 01:31:53 pm »
I've always liked the Scion xB's and the new 2008's are much better than the first generation. The tC's are pretty nice (on paper) as well.

I always thought selling Scions could make a lot of money in Canada and wonder why they aren't here by now.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »

Don't we already have them?

Skoda Superb = VW Passat?

Yes, but somehow Skoda manages to make better cars. In most UK and European quality surveys that I have seen, Skoda consistently ranks in the top 10, if not the top 5.  Maybe the VW brand should pull out of North America in favour of Skoda.