Author Topic: Cars I wish we had here in Canada  (Read 34891 times)

Offline GTI-Gabe

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Golf GTI; 2006 Jetta 2.5L; Mazda 3; BMW 323i; BMW X1 (all standard cars except X1)
Re: Cars I wish we had here in Canada
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 04:09:15 pm »
any BMW diesel  ;D

ditto!

Well, a 120d would be nice to keep the price somewhat low (and I prefer the hatch to the coupe)  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:41:28 pm by GTI-Gabe »
Viva el coche!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 05:18:25 pm »
any BMW diesel  ;D

ditto!

Well, a 120d would be nice to keep the price somewhat low (and I prefer the hatch to the coupe)  :)

Finally, someone talking sense about the 1 series..
 :rofl2: :P :P

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

perfecto

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 05:45:05 pm »

Opel Zafira.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »
Really..?   ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 07:43:45 pm »

With a lot of these cars, I think there might be a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing going on.  I mean, people here are continually tearing into Ford, Chevy, and Nissan due to reliability, yet people want more French and Italian cars?  Or people wanting cool-looking Renault hatchbacks without having driven one, when the mechanically-similar 2007 Sentra handles so poorly that it's downright scary according to some drivers?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 11:11:50 am »

Opel Zafira.

OPC.

SSB, don't you think some of our cars are really uninspiring? Maybe you find the Rams and F-Series cool because they'd be expensive and huge there, but generally what are your impressions of the cars here? Are there any you wish you could have?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 11:45:05 am »

With a lot of these cars, I think there might be a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing going on.  I mean, people here are continually tearing into Ford, Chevy, and Nissan due to reliability, yet people want more French and Italian cars?  Or people wanting cool-looking Renault hatchbacks without having driven one, when the mechanically-similar 2007 Sentra handles so poorly that it's downright scary according to some drivers?

I have driven some cool looking Renault hatchbacks over the years on vacation.    I have NOT driven the new Sentra.   However I suggest that if one took a careful look one would find that the suspension calibration between a Sentra and a Renault on the same platform  as well as a Versa and a Tiida  would be quite different.  As well the Eu versions will tend to have different engine families because of the differing emission rules AND the fact that over here most of the cars would be sold with an automatic transmission of some sort.

none of these differences are necessarily bad and the ride and handling of euro cars is not to everyones taste... some people prefer the softer floaty ride associated with American cars... fine by me.

I personally would rather have a car with "personality " as I experience it even if it breaks once in a while ( or even often!)  than a bland transportation appliance with 100% reliabity.... but then I no longer have to commute every day.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 12:29:58 pm »

Opel Zafira.

OPC.

SSB, don't you think some of our cars are really uninspiring? Maybe you find the Rams and F-Series cool because they'd be expensive and huge there, but generally what are your impressions of the cars here? Are there any you wish you could have?

Good point, my subject would be cars I wish were in the UK (as RHD).

So:

C6 Corvette

New Dodge Challenger :drool: :drool: :drool:  (go on Ovr, kick me whilst I'm drooling)

Possibly Dodge RAM SRT-10

Can you see the way it's going, not exactly enviro friendly ha ha...

For compact cars and sedans I would probably rather have the Euro versions, Ford Focus etc.  The only family van type thing I would consider would be the S-Max (again Euro) and I wouldn't really go for any SUV's NA or Euro.

American manufacturers do two things very well, price and torque.  They are getting much better than they were years ago on quality and handling, but these come at a price, which some NA customer are not willing to pay.  The latest corvette is probably the best example of this, great handling and fantastic bang for buck.  If they made a RHD one for the UK market I reckon they would sell by the bucket load, even with our $2+ gas price.
 :)

Mitlov

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2007, 03:21:04 pm »
Good point, my subject would be cars I wish were in the UK (as RHD).

So:

New Dodge Challenger :drool: :drool: :drool:  (go on Ovr, kick me whilst I'm drooling)

We don't have it either.  Nobody does, and in light of Chrysler's financial state, maybe nobody ever will.

Possibly Dodge RAM SRT-10

No longer in production.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 04:20:24 pm »
I'll have the corvette then.

:)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 04:32:31 pm »

Opel Zafira.

A Saturn version would probably do well vs. Mazda5 and Kia Rondo...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 04:43:08 pm »
What do you guys think of the Astra VXR?

Aren't you guys getting this soon?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 04:44:45 pm »
I don't think we are getting the OPC/VXR versions...  But it's great that the Astra is coming here.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:54 pm »
What do you guys think of the Astra VXR?

Aren't you guys getting this soon?

That is a nice (and hot) hatchback. There should be a public awareness campaign conduct to inform the general populace about the utility and economy of the oft' poo-poo'd hatch. (NA only of course, the eur-asians seem to have this knowledge hardwired in them)
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 05:30:15 pm »
I'd like to see the smaller Mazda's in NA - the Verisa and the Mazda2.

I guess it is too late for the current generation Mazda2. I liked it. I found it had a more comfortable seating position than a Honda Fit, although the rear seating was much less so.

Isn't the Toyota Verso already here - as the Matrix?

Generally speaking, UK models seem to have much better visibility that models for the NA market.  :-\

Mitlov

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:22 pm »
I don't think we are getting the OPC/VXR versions...  But it's great that the Astra is coming here.

...yet.  Saturn has sold a the high-performance Redline version of the Ion for years.  I always assumed an Astra Redline would come in 2009, a year after the normal Astra.  An Astra Redline could easily be a rebadged Astra OPC/VXR.

Offline GTI-Gabe

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Golf GTI; 2006 Jetta 2.5L; Mazda 3; BMW 323i; BMW X1 (all standard cars except X1)
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 09:16:06 pm »
any BMW diesel  ;D

ditto!

I just read that there's a 123d model.  204hp and 0-100km/h in 7.0 seconds

The 120d is rated at a lowly 177hp and does 0-100 in 7.6s (not too shabby for a diesel) ;)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 10:21:09 pm »
Verso is quite different...

Has seating for 7, competes with Opel Zafira, Kia Rondo, Mazda5...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2007, 08:27:56 am »
Verso is quite different...

Has seating for 7, competes with Opel Zafira, Kia Rondo, Mazda5...

Is everyone under 4 ft?

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2007, 08:39:28 am »
I just scanned through the 10 - or so new posts to this thread and had a couple of comments:

Re: Astra VXR - an awesome little pocket rocket. It has everything you could want including a lower price than the GTI. Unfortunately is also has an horrendous amount of torque steer. Check out the Jeremy Clarkson demo of torque steer on his test drive of the VXR. Move the drive train to the rear and what could beat it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xDZonrA2Dw

Re: Toyota Verso - my sister-in-law and her husband recently purchased one of these mini-mini-vans (called 'people movers' in the UK and Europe). They can easily accommodate themselves, her parents and their 7 yr old son without problem. They even report room for a cooler and a few other odds and ends to take along for picnic lunches.

JWW