Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid  (Read 12121 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:40:56 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid

2007 Nissan Altima HybridIn addition to offering great fuel economy, "the Altima Hybrid can stand up to many of its conventional competitors in performance and handling," reports Assistant Editor, Jil McIntosh.

More...

Read the article | View the photos |
All the Test Drives

mdxtasy

Re: CD Article: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:59:23 am »
"The sole transmission choice is a CVT that's very smooth and responsive; under most driving conditions, it feels more like a conventional unit."

That's not a good thing is it? 

"All of that netted me a combined average of 6.8 L/100 km (42 mpg Imp), which fell shy of the published 5.8 (49 mpg Imp), but which was still very good for a midsize sedan - I averaged 10.7 (26 mpg Imp) when I drove the conventional Altima."

That's pretty good mileage out of the hybrid.  To be fair, I doubt the writer drove the regular Altima as cautiously as she did here.

"It also comes standard with a proximity key, and uses an engine start/stop button - an unnecessary feature on any car, but downright dumb on a hybrid that stops running as you're pulling into your parking space. It simply isn't second nature to remember to hit an "engine stop" button when the engine isn't running. Just before going to bed one night, I happened to glance out the window and noticed headlights; the Altima was sitting in my driveway running.  I'd forgotten to hit the stop button, which shuts off not only the engine, but all of the car's electrical systems. When it got dark, the automatic headlights came on, and when they'd sufficiently weakened the battery, the engine started up to recharge it. If I hadn't noticed it, it might have run all night."

That's funny. :rofl:

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:04:43 am »
It's ALIVE!! :o :o :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:41:32 am »
Surely it should be made to turn off completely when the doors are locked from the outside.  Although some people dont lock their cars when parking in their garage...

I dont want a car that decides when to turn on,  turn off or drop out.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

PiereB

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:28:52 am »
The fact that an hybrid cost $2,800 more than a regular car is not only compensated by gas saving, you get 40 more horsepowers for the price, it's worth it!!!  The drawbacks to me are non-folding rear seats and the resale value due to batteries replacement

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:37:00 am »
Yeah that battery replacement (and the general unavailability of MT in hybrids) is what would scare me away. How much do they run to replace now a days?

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:43:42 am »
The fact that an hybrid cost $2,800 more than a regular car is not only compensated by gas saving, ....

Huh  ???

I still think that a hybrid vehicle is about saying to the world you are trying to show concern for the environment, and don't mind spending more $$ to do so. To get your money back from a hybrid investment, you'd need to drive something like 35000 km/yr for 4 or 5 years. It might work for some, but certainly not the average 4yrs-and-out leasing crowd. Not dissing the hybrid thing here - just stating what needs to be clear - hybrids are not about saving money in the long run - at least not yet. They will in time, but until then, give me torque, give me diesel  ;D
JWW

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:33:35 am »
"It also comes standard with a proximity key, and uses an engine start/stop button - an unnecessary feature on any car, but downright dumb on a hybrid that stops running as you're pulling into your parking space. It simply isn't second nature to remember to hit an "engine stop" button when the engine isn't running. Just before going to bed one night, I happened to glance out the window and noticed headlights; the Altima was sitting in my driveway running.  I'd forgotten to hit the stop button, which shuts off not only the engine, but all of the car's electrical systems. When it got dark, the automatic headlights came on, and when they'd sufficiently weakened the battery, the engine started up to recharge it. If I hadn't noticed it, it might have run all night."

Another poster on the forum mentioned this in another hybrid thread. At the time didn't really take the comment that seriously, as I thought surely there would be some safeguard. If you're not in the proximity with your proximity key, thought it'd turn off. But I guess not, once she's started she's started and you have to stop 'er. Cool technology, but I think teething issues (cell phone issue, this, etc) have been a headache for Nissan.

Still, the company is getting 'er done of late.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:37:01 am »

Another poster on the forum mentioned this in another hybrid thread. At the time didn't really take the comment that seriously, as I thought surely there would be some safeguard. If you're not in the proximity with your proximity key, thought it'd turn off. But I guess not, once she's started she's started and you have to stop 'er. Cool technology, but I think teething issues (cell phone issue, this, etc) have been a headache for Nissan.

Imagine if you park the car in an attached garage.  Carbon monoxide......now it's not so funny.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »
maybe she left the proximity key in the car

mdxtasy

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 04:51:12 pm »

I think she left the car as is with key in her hand.  Drive up to driveway.  Engine stops running.  you don't notice it and just walk away.  Car is still running on battery power.  Battery goes low, engine starts to charge up.  There should be some sort of sensor in the door so that if the car is in 'on', opening the door turns it off completely.  Or just use a damn key.  These stupid push button starts.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:10 pm »
I can understand push button starts
As people grow older, turning of the key can be painfull in the wrist for some people

UmroAyyar

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 04:57:14 pm »
... or at least beep beep beep just like when you leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door.

mdxtasy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 05:00:23 pm »
I can understand push button starts
As people grow older, turning of the key can be painfull in the wrist for some people

That would also mean turning the wheel or trying to move the shift lever would also cause pain?  Well then....perhaps alternative modes of transportation would be more appropriate. 

Mitlov

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 05:34:41 pm »

I think she left the car as is with key in her hand.  Drive up to driveway.  Engine stops running.  you don't notice it and just walk away.  Car is still running on battery power.  Battery goes low, engine starts to charge up.  There should be some sort of sensor in the door so that if the car is in 'on', opening the door turns it off completely.  Or just use a damn key.  These stupid push button starts.....

Push button starts are completely different than proximity keys.  My motorcycle has a push-button start, but I can't take my key out without killing the ignition and power.  Same with the E90 3-Series I drove--you stuck the key into the dash and then hit the start button.  Removing the key has the same effect as it does on my Legacy--turns everything off.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 07:00:40 pm »

Imagine if you park the car in an attached garage.  Carbon monoxide......now it's not so funny.

opens up the car for plenty of theft opportunties too. Leave it unlocked at the mall, car starts its self and suddenly its ripe for a joy ride.

IMAMAn

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 08:34:21 pm »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:26:27 am by H-IMA »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:23 pm »
The fact that an hybrid cost $2,800 more than a regular car is not only compensated by gas saving, ....

Huh  ???

I still think that a hybrid vehicle is about saying to the world you are trying to show concern for the environment, and don't mind spending more $$ to do so. To get your money back from a hybrid investment, you'd need to drive something like 35000 km/yr for 4 or 5 years. It might work for some, but certainly not the average 4yrs-and-out leasing crowd. Not dissing the hybrid thing here - just stating what needs to be clear - hybrids are not about saving money in the long run - at least not yet. They will in time, but until then, give me torque, give me diesel  ;D

In the unlikely event that I'd ever have to drive 35,000 km/year I want a M-B diesel not an animated laptop battery ( Dont bother H-IMA  :)  I Know its not a laptop battery)  real torque, real car many years of making vehicles that keep you alive in crashes, made by people who can drive to work at 160 km/h every day.

and... If I had to drive that much, someone would be paying me $0.45 per km for all of it.

Mitlov

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 08:47:01 pm »
Wow, what a difference a year makes.  Jill actually alluded to knowing a few hypermiling techniques such as "driving by the instruments" ... and driving as if you had "an egg between your foot and the gas pedal".

I hear this argument a lot with hybrids, but I'd like to compare apples to apples.  What happens to a normal four-banger Altima's fuel economy when you drive like you had an egg between the foot and the gas pedal?  It should go up quite a lot as well.  Comparing a lead-footed driver in a conventional car and Miss Daisy in a hybrid doesn't let people know how much of the gain is due to the hybrid technology and how much is due to driving style.

IMAMAn

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:50 pm »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:26:36 am by H-IMA »