Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Mini Cooper S  (Read 29127 times)

dorin

Re: CTC Review: 2007 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2007, 08:05:58 pm »
The car is definately worth the price, mind you I have the exact options/colours as canadiandriver's review car! You can't compare the Mazdaspeed3 with this car, that's like comparing an Accord V6 to an BMW 323/328.  The Accord will beat the BMW in a straight line and cost less, but we all know which is a better driver's car.  The Mazdaspeed3 is more expension anyway (assuming you don't go nuts on the options with the MINI). [edit] my mistake, the MS3 is the same price. [/edit]

Comparing the Mazdaspeed3 with the Cooper S is nothing like comparing a V6 Accord with a BMW 323.  Both the Speed3 and the S are front-wheel drive whereas the BMW 323 is a rear-wheel driver.  I admit that I haven't driven either the Speed3 or the S, but unless you have actually driven both, I don't see how you can really know that the S is way more fun to drive than the Speed3.  ::)

There are lots of cars that can compare with the Mini Cooper S, like the GTI, A3, Miata, etc.  The MINI tho, is lovable, most people love the MINI's "cute" looks.  No one will look at a GTI and say "omg it's a GTI", but they will all smile at the MINI. (no offence to the GTI, good car but too blend)  :rofl:

The problem with the new '07 Mini is that it's no longer really cute.  I agree with the earlier comment that the Mini looks somewhat awkward now. 

For those that are unsure about the new MINI, go test drive one and you'll see exactly why I love my car.

I haven't test driven the new '07 Mini, but I did test drive a regular Cooper back in 2002 and frankly I was disappointed given all the hype.  It was a good drive but it wasn't in a different class than my 1992 Mazda MX-3.  After all the hype and build-up, I was actually disappointed.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »
The thing you need to remember about the mini is that it's meant to be as true to the original as possible while bringing performance into the 21st century. I like all the wonky design stuff about the Mini - it just works imo.
JWW

naruto16

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2007, 10:41:46 pm »
I still wonder how the mazdaspeed3 can handle all those power tho, I am already smoking my tires like crazy on my MINI Cooper S.  Maybe I really should go test drive that thing, but does it still only come in red? 

and to the person who hated the leatherette sooooo much... It might be cheaper, but it is also a lot easier to maintain and it's comfortable.  The leather seats(option) are nice for the MINI too, but if the leatherette is already so good, then theres no point to upgrade.

and about the speedometer being in the center... you simply get used to it~ I did, it's not something that should bother you. 

oh well~ We all love our car~ :)

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2007, 09:47:05 am »
 :iagree:

The leatherette is remarkably comfortable. It doesn't feel like vinyl at all - very reminiscent of the old Mini of decades gone by.

The only real drag about having the speedo in the middle of the dash is if you have a speed-sensitive passenger that doesn't want you to exploit the capabilities of the Mini. But then you gotta wonder what someone like that would be doing in a Mini anyway?

Serge Ah-Hee

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 10:25:01 am »
I had a chance to take one to the track. There were 4 others cars that I tried alos:

- Mazdaspeed 3
- Golf GTI
- Civic SI
- Volvo C30
- Mini Cooper-S

Of all the cars that I tried, the Mini was the funnest, not the fastest, but definitely no 1 for fun factor among all the cars.

My only complaint is that it did not have a limited slip differential as it can be felt when putting power down coming out of a corner.

I am considering getting a 2007 Cooper-S, and also looked to see if an LSD would be available. There is not much info on their web site. Does anybody know if there is one available for the 2007 model?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:30 am »
I actually thought it was standard (the LSD) but I can't find info on it either and I agree it certainly doesn't feel like there is one.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 04:36:28 pm »
LSD ??? Is that not a pill :rofl2:

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2007, 08:19:49 pm »
I've had my 2006 MCS (with leatherette seats) for just over one year, and I really don't like the leatherette.  Talk about 'sticky back' in the warmer months.  I ended up ordering Wet Okole front seat covers, which help a lot.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 08:10:39 am »
Regarding the original Mini, I beg to differ.  The car was sold in Canada right through the '70s, and I have a sales brochure from the Montreal Auto Show to prove it.  Last year was 'round '79-'80; it lasted to about the same end date as MG and Triumph

I think you are right in that the regular Mini 1000 was sold in Canada until 1979-80, but I don't think the Cooper version was availalbe that late...

Exactly !  I was talking about the regular Mini.  For the Cooper, '69 sounds about right.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 10:21:11 am »
dont be such a "pill" BLOTTO ::) :P :drool: :fall:....i am the archangel of ZOOL..follow me follow me down to tha HOLLOW where we will wallow in absolute MUD...MUD nothing quite like it fer COOLING tha BLOOD...and it does a good job onna CRIPS TOO!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Flojd

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:56 am »
For those looking for LSD - it is a $500 USD option at the US mini site. I have found that their site offers way more options for way less money. It could be worthwhile to go to US and get it there. Not sure if you can get it in Canada, but why not if you can get it in US.

naruto16

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 11:25:34 am »
You can get the LSD in Canada also, I forgot the price tho... but I know it's around $500-700.
If you plan on tracking it, you will need to LSD.  If not, you don't need it, I didn't order it and I am managing~
Not many cars on the lot has the LSD, so be prepared to order one and wait 1-2 months~ haha~  It's worth it tho~
and about the speedo being in the middle and getting annoyed by your passengers, WHO CARES about the passengers! LOL it's a driver's car! HEHE

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 11:50:33 am »
The mini HAS TO HAVE the centyral speedo. Its part of the whole retro look of the car.

I do agree with others that the new new mini is not quite as attractive as  the new mini.  I wonder if the new EU regs about pedestrain safety have anything to do with it. ( space between the front end bodywork and any hard bits underneath,)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

hondacura

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2007, 12:08:09 am »
I love the leatherette in our '05 Cooper.  I probably wouldn't get that in a $50K BMW, but for a $30K car, it's fine.  Low maintenance, that's the key.

What I don't like on the new new Mini is the new hood design.  The 2 or 3 that I've seen on the road so far looked like the hood wasn't closed properly because it didn't line up that well along the wheel arch molding.  Any comments from owners on that?  Can that be adjusted to "sit" better when closed?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2007, 08:21:18 am »
The mini HAS TO HAVE the centyral speedo. Its part of the whole retro look of the car.

I do agree with others that the new new mini is not quite as attractive as  the new mini.  I wonder if the new EU regs about pedestrain safety have anything to do with it. ( space between the front end bodywork and any hard bits underneath,)
you are probably right,
Saw a clip on the Jag that has the hood pop up if it hits a person
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060501.002/country/ecf/jaguar/jaguar-receives-award-for-popping-hood

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

you are probably right,
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060501.002/country/ecf/jaguar/jaguar-receives-award-for-popping-hood

Yup - that's the issue. When BMW announced they were introducing a new, New Mini, one of the points they made was about over-compliance with EU regs for pedestrian safety. I actually don't mind the new look that much - it feels a bit evolutionary but not totally so. But then - there really weren't any changes to the original Issigonis design in the original run, so I wonder why BMW felt they needed to change the current model.

avtoller

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2007, 10:28:04 am »

Yup - that's the issue. When BMW announced they were introducing a new, New Mini, one of the points they made was about over-compliance with EU regs for pedestrian safety. I actually don't mind the new look that much - it feels a bit evolutionary but not totally so. But then - there really weren't any changes to the original Issigonis design in the original run, so I wonder why BMW felt they needed to change the current model.

??? :o ??? :o Having owned two of the real original Minis, I would really like to hear how you can make this statement without a lot of smilies.  ??? ::) ??? There is a VAGUE similarity in shape, but that is it IMO.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »
..It's Yerman so it's a MEANIE................ ::) :P   VOGUEING.....ich haben to like eet.....

dorin

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:55 pm »
It's not the new hood that ruins the look of the new New Mini for me, it's the headlights.  The new ones look somewhat dead to me.  They're too widely spaced apart and they're too laid back - they just no longer look truly round and the look is ruined as a result.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2007, 07:09:42 pm »

you are probably right,

?   During the run of the original model ( the real Issigonis mini) there were far fewer bureaucrats insisting on bodywork changes.... for most of the run, the first 14 years anyway the UK was not in the EU.

if by original you mean the "new" mini then Issigonis had nothing to do with it and the EU regs are for 2007 and up model years