Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Mini Cooper S  (Read 29136 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:07 am »
There is an EcoAuto label for the base Cooper / Cooper Classic : 1000 $ off from the Feds !

The Classic, a Canuck exclusive, starts at 22,950$, a pretty good deal IMHO.  I think pricing is class-competitive, compared with GTI, A3 and other "upper-crust pocket rockets".

The styling was much better done with the previous-gen new Mini.  Something about the new headlight / bonnet treatment just doesn't look right...or maybe the 1st-gen was just so-right.

Regarding the original Mini, I beg to differ.  The car was sold in Canada right through the '70s, and I have a sales brochure from the Montreal Auto Show to prove it.  Last year was 'round '79-'80; it lasted to about the same end date as MG and Triumph, the other British Leyland brands.  I have memories of a "Kermit-green" Mini that was near my house when I was a kid, all-dressed with oem accessories as shown in this brochure.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

mlg2ca

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:06 am »
Just but an S a few weeks ago, and I just can't stop driving the thing: it is so much fun !!!

Price issue: a little up there for the S but this is a premium compact car. And I can say that it drives like a premium car, not a soupped up econobox.
Rear room: If under 6 feet and 200 lbs, you can sit in the back comfortably for a while without problems - yes it may be a bit cramped for the legs, but the roofline gives lots of headroom which you don't have in 2 door sport coupes.
Fuel economy: In 6th gear at 120, this car gets over 40 mpg !!!! In comparison with other pocket rockets in Road and Track, that was best fuel mileage of group.
Performance: a number of MINI forums accross the web show that dyno testing reveal 170 hp at the wheels !!!
Looks: everebody knows it's a MINI !

This car is a wonderfull combination of performance, practicality, and economy. I am going to do some laps at Mosport in a few weeks, can't do that with a Miata without roll cage ;o)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 10:40:21 am »
Regarding the original Mini, I beg to differ.  The car was sold in Canada right through the '70s, and I have a sales brochure from the Montreal Auto Show to prove it.  Last year was 'round '79-'80; it lasted to about the same end date as MG and Triumph

I think you are right in that the regular Mini 1000 was sold in Canada until 1979-80, but I don't think the Cooper version was availalbe that late...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:37 am »
They still attract the LOOKS from passers bye.............and i always smile on seeing one..memories of My Aunt's "original" borrowed and bombed around London and Windsor England   good times......would love an ORIGINAL one fer a Summer Buzz Box....prolly fetch too much Dinaros NOW... :'(...maybe I'll just BROWN_NOSE mlg2ca
 fer a R.I.D.E....................Hic..hic.....ya lucky BUM........ :thumbup: :banana:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:58:17 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

avtoller

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 10:54:32 am »
I had a '69 Cooper and a '76 Mini 1000. The Cooper and Cooper S were no longer imported after 1969. There were some phony (riced) "Coopers" around, but the real ones ALL had side curtains rather than roll-up windows, and were 1969 or earlier unless there were some non-factory imports. That is why I asked.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:58:08 am by AVToller »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 11:02:40 am »
YUMMY.............Honey I.......................Ooooh nuttin'..............

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 01:02:14 pm »
Nope - Canadian born and bred. I only wish I were a native brit. There's a word for that - anglophilia. My family refers to me as being a wannabe  ;)

I had that affliction too. Marrying an English woman and visiting England twice cured me.  ::) ;D
We go back every couple of years for a month - that usually cures me. You get the best of both worlds - enjoying the sights and sounds of the UK, but living in Canada (where, btw, all our british friends want to live).
JWW

mdxtasy

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 01:17:23 pm »
They still attract the LOOKS from passers bye.............and i always smile on seeing one..memories of My Aunt's "original" borrowed and bombed around London and Windsor England   good times......would love an ORIGINAL one fer a Summer Buzz Box....prolly fetch too much Dinaros NOW... :'(...

I have an idea....why not just fix up the Elan?   :-*

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 01:26:06 pm »
They still attract the LOOKS from passers bye.............and i always smile on seeing one..memories of My Aunt's "original" borrowed and bombed around London and Windsor England   good times......would love an ORIGINAL one fer a Summer Buzz Box....prolly fetch too much Dinaros NOW... :'(...

or better yet ship the Elan over to me and I'll fix it up  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 01:33:07 pm »
NOW there is a PLAN.....Muffer In Law is in Calgary so she could keep an eye on ya......

"arthur get yer hands off tha "donuts" i won't accept tha new fangled couplers....."...... ;D

naruto16

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 01:30:20 pm »
I bought my own 2007 MCS in mid April, I am also an owner of the 03 Mini Cooper S.  I have got to say the new one is definately a very good car like the old one!  Drives the same but with more refinement(better seats, more comfortable, better mpg, more power/torque, etc).

The car is definately worth the price, mind you I have the exact options/colours as canadiandriver's review car! You can't compare the Mazdaspeed3 with this car, that's like comparing an Accord V6 to an BMW 323/328.  The Accord will beat the BMW in a straight line and cost less, but we all know which is a better driver's car.  The Mazdaspeed3 is more expension anyway (assuming you don't go nuts on the options with the MINI). [edit] my mistake, the MS3 is the same price. [/edit]

The new MINI is more BMW now, it's comfortable with the new leatherette seats and the new softer stock suspension(you can still opt for the sport suspension!).  It's new engine has more HP and WAY more torque, where the old car lacked the torque for city driving, this new one shines in the lower part of the rpm.  I am getting average of 28.5mpg with my car right now, with the 50L tank, I get about 550-600KMs!!!!!  ;D

To the person who said there's no JCW options, I can tell you there is so go check out the dealer!  I believe it's about $5000 dollars, it will give you 200hp/210tq if I remember correctly.  Not that you will need it anyway, I am running 17 inches Hankook Performance tires on my stock 2007 Mini Cooper S.  In first and second gears, my tires are just spinning if I do WOT(wide open throttle) with my DSC off.  :o

There are lots of cars that can compare with the Mini Cooper S, like the GTI, A3, Miata, etc.  The MINI tho, is lovable, most people love the MINI's "cute" looks.  No one will look at a GTI and say "omg it's a GTI", but they will all smile at the MINI. (no offence to the GTI, good car but too blend)  :rofl:

For those that are unsure about the new MINI, go test drive one and you'll see exactly why I love my car.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:36:45 pm by naruto16 »

mdxtasy

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 05:38:04 pm »

or better yet ship the Elan over to me and I'll fix it up  ;D

I agree.  It's doing no good sitting in the front yard Saf.  You can replace the lawn decorations with a knomes.   :-*

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 05:43:29 pm »
That dash design has to go - it cheapens what is a great little car. My friend was really keen on one until we sat in the current model at the auto show. He won't go near it due to the ugly, cheap looking design.

I agree 100% about the dash.  The Civic Si and the new Mini Cooper are both off my list for the sole reason of the tacky interior designs.  It's a shame, as they're both apparently fantastic sports compacts.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 06:18:04 pm »
That dash design has to go - it cheapens what is a great little car. My friend was really keen on one until we sat in the current model at the auto show. He won't go near it due to the ugly, cheap looking design.

I agree 100% about the dash.  The Civic Si and the new Mini Cooper are both off my list for the sole reason of the tacky interior designs.  It's a shame, as they're both apparently fantastic sports compacts.

Second (Third?). Just give me two equal sized analog gauges right in front of the wheel please. Everything else can be digital, I don't really care, but digital speedometers belong in airplanes and spaceships, not cars.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 06:27:41 pm »
The new MINI is more BMW now, it's comfortable with the new leatherette

Leatherette ??? ???  is that like naugahide :rofl2:  give me a break your buying a BMW you should get real leather for the price...  what is leatherette? a new name for cheap plastic seats??? ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 07:37:16 pm »
Second (Third?). Just give me two equal sized analog gauges right in front of the wheel please. Everything else can be digital, I don't really care, but digital speedometers belong in airplanes and spaceships, not cars.

I disagree that a digital speedo could NEVER look good.  And digital speedos are nice because, as a vehicle's top speed increases, the numbers become tighter and tighter bunched until they're illegible.  But the layout Honda chose for the Civic is just too busy, and the speedo on top of the tach isn't a natural setup.  Here is a different layout that's commonly used in sportsbikes. 

2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R:

Mitlov

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 07:39:04 pm »
The new MINI is more BMW now, it's comfortable with the new leatherette

Leatherette ??? ???  is that like naugahide :rofl2:  give me a break your buying a BMW you should get real leather for the price...  what is leatherette? a new name for cheap plastic seats??? ::)

It looks like real leather.  Some people say it feels like real leather, but I disagree, unless we're talking very cheap leather.  I wasn't impressed by the leatherette in a 2006 325i that I test-drove.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 07:40:02 pm »
And digital speedos are nice because, as a vehicle's top speed increases, the numbers become tighter and tighter bunched until they're illegible.

??? I think we're a long way off from running out of room on the circle.

Mitlov

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 07:46:42 pm »
And digital speedos are nice because, as a vehicle's top speed increases, the numbers become tighter and tighter bunched until they're illegible.

??? I think we're a long way off from running out of room on the circle.

There are plenty on the market that I consider crowded.  I do NOT like speedometers like the one below (BMW 335i).  I this type difficult to read with a quick glance.  Are you going 105 or 115?  Better look again.  They're prettier and classier than a digital speedometer, but not as effective when you're driving, in my opinion.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2007, 07:53:32 pm »
I think they just over-hashmarked it. Nobody needs 5km/h divisions, or 100RPM divisions. Would look a good deal cleaner if it were just 10km/h and 250RPM.

Acutally, that does kind of look like a weak instrument cluster for a BMW...like my TSX one far better. I'll refer to a pic I posted..

Not the greatest shot, but definitely there are some nice design touches. Major hashmarks are far more pronounced than the minor ones, blue outline thing, needle in a contrasting color, etc. Much less cluttered, very easy to read IMO. Granted it looks like the BMW one uses a bit less than 270 degrees, and it goes up to 280...but why do you need it to go to 280??? The whole thing looks like it belongs in a VW Rabbit or something.

With regards to the Civic one, I just find I get distracted by it in the three times I've driven the Civic / CSX. It jumps around in 4km/h increments if I recall correctly. For some reason I find this annoying when changing speeds, but its probably neccesary so that you don't always flip back and forth between 120, 121, 119, etc. when cruising.