Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid  (Read 11966 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:02 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

2008 Ford Escape HybridA smoother-running hybrid powertrain, new styling, and a lower base price are the main changes to the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, reports Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.  But the Hybrid is "pricey" he warns, and real-world fuel consumption is considerably higher than official figures.

More...

Read the article | View the photos |
All the Test Drives

IMAMAn

Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:00:10 am »
... I'd rather they plonked a decent TDi engine in it. That would be a nice motor!

But if you put a TDi engine in it then it would no longer meet the Tier 2/Bin 3 emmissions rating.  I doubt it would even be awarded the AT-PZEV status if they were to do that. 
The upcoming clean diesels are awesome but they will barely make it into Tier 2/ Bin 5 (so far, only Honda's CD is expected to meet the rating right off the gate).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:45:14 am by H-IMA »

fomocona

Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AC and the engine
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:15:19 pm »
The 2008 Hybrid Escape engine will run to charge the batteries when they reach a certain level to ensure they do not drain completely.  By default, if the vehicle is running on batteries only and the A/C is turned on, the engine will also start.  However, as part of the climate control system, the driver can choose an "economy" A/C mode by pressing the ECON button on the dash.  In the economy mode the engine will not start/run just to run the A/C.  When turning on the heat, the economy A/C mode is disabled.  However, the engine does not automatically turn on when the heat is turned on. 

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AC and the engine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:22:17 pm »
The 2008 Hybrid Escape engine will run to charge the batteries when they reach a certain level to ensure they do not drain completely.  By default, if the vehicle is running on batteries only and the A/C is turned on, the engine will also start.  However, as part of the climate control system, the driver can choose an "economy" A/C mode by pressing the ECON button on the dash.  In the economy mode the engine will not start/run just to run the A/C.  When turning on the heat, the economy A/C mode is disabled.  However, the engine does not automatically turn on when the heat is turned on. 

Excellent information!

Are you a Ford Motor Co employee wanting to give further insight, or Michiganite dropping in to help answer questions you knew about?

Either way, welcome.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

fomocona

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:12:23 pm »
Thanks, Aqua.  Sorry about the delayed response; I was out of the office.  Anyway, I represent Ford and I'm monitoring several sites.  My goal is to clarify questions as I find them AND for people that need/want to contact Ford, how they can best do that.  In Canada, call Customer Relationship Center at 800-565-3673 or go to customersaskford.com if you have any questions or want to give product feedback.  Thanks again.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 02:17:21 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, fomocona.  :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

fomocona

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »
Ovr50, Thank you!  :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:07:23 am »
Thanks, Aqua.  Sorry about the delayed response; I was out of the office.  Anyway, I represent Ford and I'm monitoring several sites.  My goal is to clarify questions as I find them AND for people that need/want to contact Ford, how they can best do that.  In Canada, call Customer Relationship Center at 800-565-3673 or go to customersaskford.com if you have any questions or want to give product feedback.  Thanks again.

You don't want my customer feedback, believe me!   ;D
why, I thought you were happy with your 500?

fomocona

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 11:48:42 am »

I'm new to this site so I apologize for not knowing the particular issue you've had (or are having) with your vehicle.  However, we do want to hear from you.  An important part of the Way Forward plan is to actively solicit customer feedback.  Granted not all feedback is easy to hear but the negative is at least as important as the positive when you're working to win customers back.  I've noticed the passion, the accolades and the disappointment in postings on the internet regarding Ford and it's products.  At customersaskford.com, you can type in "Feedback".  You can choose the option that best suits your issue.  Your comment will be forwarded and will be reviewed by the applicable department.  I hope you take the time to write.  :)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 12:07:40 pm »

I'm new to this site so I apologize for not knowing the particular issue you've had (or are having) with your vehicle.  However, we do want to hear from you.  An important part of the Way Forward plan is to actively solicit customer feedback.  Granted not all feedback is easy to hear but the negative is at least as important as the positive when you're working to win customers back.  I've noticed the passion, the accolades and the disappointment in postings on the internet regarding Ford and it's products.  At customersaskford.com, you can type in "Feedback".  You can choose the option that best suits your issue.  Your comment will be forwarded and will be reviewed by the applicable department.  I hope you take the time to write.  :)

:thumbup: Good response, if it's genuine.

Stick around, eh!

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:59:53 pm »
fomocona, I don't truly wish to derail the thread either, but I since I have this unexpected connection to a real Ford employee who converses in complete sentences and seems to care, I just thought I would pass along the one thing Ford could do to get me back into a Ford showroom in my lifetime:

Apologize.  Apologize for cheaping out on the quality of parts, for letting the accountants have a louder voice than the engineers, and specifically for the Contour and Mystique, and the Windstar.  Apologize for dealerships who were so backlogged with recalls that an oil change had to be scheduled further in advance than a trip to the dentist.  Apologize for license plate screws that seized within 12 months, for rocker switches that suddenly neither rocked nor switched, and trunk seals that encouraged floods.  Apologize for electrical door closing motors that worked overtime, long into the night, long after the doors had been closed, until the battery ran dry.

Basically, apologize for the '90s, and a chunk of the decade after.

Not you, of course.  You weren't responsible.  Someone like Bill Ford, who was there.  Or that new guy, who is there now.  I just want to know that Ford understands that they produced some really lousy cars, vans and trucks for a spell, and that they are righting the ship, from the top down.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:01:39 pm by Craig »

Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 01:19:35 pm »
fomocona,

Good to have you here.  :cheers:

Now, since this is a 2008 Escape thread, why did Ford drop the 2.3L 5 speed 4x4 option? In other words, why did Ford drop the most fuel efficient non-hybrid (ie inexpensive) 4x4 model they have just when gas prices are at/near all time highs and only getting higher?

fomocona

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:01:53 pm »
Leviathon:  There were many factors that went into the decision to not have the 2.3L 5-speed 4x4 combination option for the 2008 Escape.  I know the 5 speed manual transmission represented less than 3% of our sales and the 4x4 was a very small percentage of those.  Based on feedback and changes in the marketplace,  vehicle options and availability may be adjusted for future models.   

I understand where all the comments are coming from but I'm not a person who chooses to live in the past.  I feel confident that there is a better and more flexible mindset here at Ford willing to change how things are done in order to be successful.  In fact there are third party independent groups (J.D. Powers,  USNHTSA, etc.) that have verified that Ford has been building better quality and safer vehicles.  We're proud of that. 

I encourage anyone to submit ideas and feedback through customersaskford.com so your comments make it to the right person/department. 

I'll get off my soapbox now.   :)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 09:32:20 pm »
... but I since I have this unexpected connection to a real Ford employee who converses in complete sentences and seems to care...

:rofl: Craig, you made me laugh again.

Welcome fomocoma.

I used to think, I'll never look at Ford, but I recently drove a Focus as a rental for 11 days. Compared to the Calibre they originally gave me, and which I insisted they take back, it was like night and day, so I was impressed. Except for the quality of the trunk cover, but I will post my impressions about that in the Focus thread.

The fact that you are willing to listen to customer feedback is interestingly positive. However, stodge does have a point. What is the recourse if you're not getting the response you think you should be getting? What's Ford plan B for that? Of course some customers will never be satisfied, but sometimes the customer service side could do better do too, right?

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 09:59:46 pm »
Wow, if this guy is for real (and he sounds legit) this is pretty cool to have this opportunity. Let's not turn it into a mud slinging event and scare him away however it will be neat to see how (or if) s/he can get some answers for stodge.

Welcome fomocona. I'll call you fo for short.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 03:48:24 pm »
What are the financing rates for the '08 Escape Hybrid?  Are they the same as the non-Hybrid versions?  I checked Ford.ca and they don't appear on the "Build It" page, only the 10.3% lease rates do :o

fomocona

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 11:18:43 am »
I apologise for being rude and harsh. But Julie is right to question your posting here. It's far too easy for me to rant and rave at you but that changes nothing. It's also easy for you, as an apparent Ford rep, to show that Ford is trying to change matters. But that still leaves me stuck with a low quality (albeit top of Ford's range!) car with zero luck in resolving my issues.

I realise dealers pay the price for quality issues, based on what I've read regarding Ford stipulating warranty repair costs that are barely achievable in the real world. So where is the incentive for a dealer to help me?

I'll try to dig out Ford's reply and my original email; my memory now thinks their response was that I didn't give enough information. If I find it I'll try to contact Ford again to see if they can do anything. I guess I was so fed up I didn't want to deal with them.

Presumably customersaskford.com is an American site? And most likely not usable here in Canada?

Thanks

Stodge, I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your car and it sounds like you unsuccessfully tried to work it out through your dealership.  Even if you can't find your original email, please call or email the Ford Customer Relationship Center again.  They have resources that I do not have access to and are in the best position to assist you.  In Canada, the CRC can be reached directly at 800-565-3673 or emailed through the contact link at www ford.ca.

You are correct, the customersaskford.com is primarily a USA site but that is the best site to post comments and feedback on all Ford North American vehicles.  For specific issues related to servicing your vehicle in Canada, customersaskford.com will direct you to the Ford of Canada site for follow-up.  I understand your frustration but I hope you understand that I want to help direct you to the team who can assist you better than I can for your specific concerns.  Thanks,

Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 03:47:24 pm »
I know the 5 speed manual transmission represented less than 3% of our sales and the 4x4 was a very small percentage of those. 
The 5speed was only offered on the lowest available trim so, while overall, it may have been 3% of sales what was the percentage of lowest trim only sales?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:56 pm »
Stodge, with all due respect, it sounds like you are suffering a bad case of buyers remorse. Or have I missed your posts about additional problems you are having? You had posted disappointment with the ride but seemed much more concerned with the car's trade-in value. I can understand your frustration with that but I'm not sure if that's what you expect Ford to help you with.

The following are general comments and are not directed at anyone in particular:
Buyers remorse can be a terrible affliction. I have witnessed many, many cases  where buyers have suddenly realized the negative financial implications of trying to trade out of a recently purchased car and coincidentaly from that point on the car seems to suffer a number of relatively vague issues (noises, lack of power, poor fuel economy, etc). It's a combination of self-fulfilling prophecy and self justification. Almost everyone that has had a vehicle repossessed claims that the car was "no good anyway" as a way to justify their inability or unwillingness to comply with their financial obligations. I think most people have experienced the situation where their current car seems very inadequate once a new car gets in the blood. Serious buyers remorse sets in when the person realizes that financially there is no way to get that new car. No one likes to feel they have no control over their situation and many people look for somewhere to project that negativity - their current car is usually the closest target.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:07:11 pm »
Or am I just naive and dealers have no interest in picking up unhappy customers and turning them into happy customers while still making a reasonable profit?

I guess the obvious response would be that the dealers you have talked to don't agree with your assessment that they can make a reasonable profit.

I understand they don't owe me anything, but a bit of goodwill and assistance from a Ford dealer wouldn't go amiss to help retain my business. At some point in the near future we'll be looking to replace our second car. I know for a fact I won't buy Ford again, no matter how good their products; so one lost customer. Or am I missing the point?

I'm not sure why Ford or a dealer would want to extend goodwill if you have already decided not to buy another Ford?

But when the black book price for the 05 SEL maxed out at 14.5k, being offered 12k was insulting.

I vaguely remember going over this before but why would anyone be insulted by what someone is willing to pay for a product? Especially when you have the opportunity to sell your car to whoever you want for however much you want.

Good luck with whatever you get next. :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:56:32 pm by Cord »