Author Topic: CD Article: Toyota Highlander, 2001-2006  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Toyota Highlander, 2001-2006
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:53:58 pm »
Today's Used Vehicle Review:
Toyota Highlander, 2001-2006

Toyota Highlander, 2001-2006The Toyota Highlander has a good reputation for reliability, but used models are pricey, says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  "An older version shouldn't present many problems in the longer run, providing it was well-maintained," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos |
All the Used Vehicle Reviews

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: Toyota Highlander, 2001-2006
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:25 am »
My '05 Highlander, base model plus leather pkg, has over 30kms on it now. Other than regular maintenance, it has had zero issues. The minor TSB on a carpet clip required to hold carpet from interferring with the accelerator, was done some time ago on a regular service visit. The TSB work took less than 5 minutes to fix. That's been it to date.

High level of fit and finish, a decent ride, decent power (I am not a fan of the 4 cyliner HLs) and respectable handling for this type of vehicle make one of the least annoying vehicles I have ever had. It just goes about the job it was built to do - some might call that boring and bland - I prefer to have at least one of my vehicles in that catagory so I know I don't have to fuss with it and it doesn't let me down.

After owning the '05 for 25 months now, I am in no rush to let it go.

I'm not sure where the reviewer gets the prices from as the '05MY is shown at $32,900 new, and mine (which is the leather/"B" pkg) was $39,900 new. I don't think the jump from "Base" model to "Base plus B Pkg" cost $7,000. In fact, I'm pretty sure it did not, so I think the $32,900 figure for a '05 Base model is incorrect. ?? It also appears that the "today's" price is closer to a wholesale price, not a retail price (at least here in BC). Ontario pricing??

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:54:00 am by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:17:40 am »
Good catch; the 2005 MSRP I listed is for the base model, not the V6. It should be $36,900, not $32,900 as shown in the article. I've fixed that mistake.

As for the today's price, Canadian Red Book values are meant to represent what the car would cost in the Toronto area. For B.C. prices, the publisher recommends adding six per cent, which could easily explain why that number looks like a wholesale value to you. Apparently, used cars are cheaper in Toronto than anywhere else in Canada.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:23:18 am by stickshift »
I used to work here.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:44:26 am »
I will echo Ovr’s comments as we had a 2002 model and the best thing about the Highlander is you never noticed it as it just ran with no complaints. We considered buying the lease out at the end but did hesitate due to the oil sludge rumours on the early models, unfounded considering the percentage of reported problems.

As September comes closer and the lease expires on the GMC my wife are still debating what single vehicle will replace the truck and he Impreza wagon. A truck is at the top of my list but my wife is revisiting the Ridgeline and X-Over route again. This could lead to some interesting conversations as the summer ends.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:26:14 am »
I owned an 04 Highlander (3.3 V6, 7 seater) for over 3 years. The steering wheel column had to be replaced under warranty 3 times (it kept creaking when I was turning) and the CD player would mysteriously die and come back to life. 

Other than that, it did a good of going from A to B but low end torque was practically non-existent. It was easy to drive and comfortable to sit in.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:14:50 pm »
Interesting comment on torque - I don't find torque to be lacking at all.  ??? ???

The Manual states that "performance is improved with 91 octane fuel" or words to that effect. I run 91 in mine and it is quite peppy. Don't know if that is the answer or not?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:16:48 pm »
 ??? I never found torque to be an issue with my Highlander as well and I ran it with 87.

AUGUSTO

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
I will echo Ovr’s comments as we had a 2002 model and the best thing about the Highlander is you never noticed it as it just ran with no complaints. We considered buying the lease out at the end but did hesitate due to the oil sludge rumours on the early models, unfounded considering the percentage of reported problems.

As September comes closer and the lease expires on the GMC my wife are still debating what single vehicle will replace the truck and he Impreza wagon. A truck is at the top of my list but my wife is revisiting the Ridgeline and X-Over route again. This could lead to some interesting conversations as the summer ends.

DID U HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH UR TOYOTA UNTILL TODAY AND WAS IT GOOD BUY FOR U

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »

Hi. Are you having any problems with your Caps Lock key?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:09:01 pm »

Not sure if you are talking to myself or SandMan - but in the case of my '05 Highlander, it just turned 35KMs today, is 28 months and has run/continues to run flawlessly. One of the best vehicles I have ever had in terms of no hassle, reliability.

mdxtasy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:23:45 pm »
Hey, even Toyota builds a lemon.  Perception on torque is just that, some find it okay, some always yearn for more.