Author Topic: BMW among parties looking at Ford’s Volvo Cars  (Read 5202 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
BMW among parties looking at Ford’s Volvo Cars
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:07:21 pm »
by Thomas Williams and Alessandra Castelli in London

Published: May 25 2007 16:17 | Last updated: May 25 2007 16:17

BMW, the German carmaker, is in informal talks to buy the Swedish car manufacturer Volvo Cars from its owner Ford, according to two sources close to the situation. One source said that the Bavarian car maker has examined the financials of Volvo Cars in recent months, and is now exploring a possible acquisition of the company. The source added that, however, other companies have also studied Volvo Cars‘ financials.

BMW and Ford declined to comment.

A second source, close to BMW, confirmed that a Volvo cars sale process is currently taking place. He also confirmed that BMW is looking at Volvo Cars’ books but does not believe that the German company will end up buying Volvo Cars.

“BMW has already everything that Volvo cars cannot offer,” the source said.

Several industry sources have downplayed the possibility that Volvo Cars could be an attractive target for private equity, in spite of the fact that Chrysler Corp was acquired by Cerberus Capital just two weeks ago. The sources argued that it would make no sense for a private equity firm to buy an automotive company, given their cyclical nature and the prospect for making large losses in a downturn.

“In this economy, where there are so many other opportunities, PE would prefer companies with strong cash flow and not car opportunities which make high leveraged companies dependent on strong cash flow,” one source said.

Hampus Engellau, an analyst at Handelsbanken Capital Markets, disagreed with this view, saying that private equity might find Volvo Cars’ recently updated range of models attractive because little investment would be required for renewal.

An industry source said he heard that Nordic Capital has expressed some interest in Volvo Cars in an attempt to return the brand back to its home market. A private equity director dismissed the idea, however, pointing out that a Volvo acquisition would likely be beyond Nordic Capital’s investment size criteria. Ford acquired Volvo in 1999 for USD 6.5bn.

Handelsbanken’s Engellau concurred, adding that an attempt to recreate a Swedish car brand through such a deal “makes no sense.”

Nordic Capital declined to comment.

Volvo Cars delivered 427,964 cars to consumers in 2006 down 3.6% from 443,947 in 2005. But the company has said it had a strong first quarter this year and is launching seven new models between 2006 and 2009. It sells cars in more than 100 countries but has a relatively small market share of 1-2% in its main markets of the US, the UK, Germany and Italy. However, Volvo is much stronger in Sweden where it is estimated that one in every five cars sold is a Volvo.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b7d4f906-0ad1-11dc-8412-000b5df10621,dwp_uuid=e8477cc4-c820-11db-b0dc-000b5df10621.html

Mitlov

Re: BMW among parties looking at Ford’s Volvo Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:40:59 pm »
Why would BMW want Volvo?  They're making a lot more money than Volvo is right now, if I recall correctly.  Do they want a bigger bite out of the FWD, not-so-sporty market or something?

Gwendly

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:56:02 pm »
I'm assuming to get ahold of Volvo's safety stuff?

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:21:27 pm »
Bigger market share?  ...  :) 20% of Sweden sounds might sweet.  :D

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:22:53 pm »

Modern BMWs perform at least as well as modern Volvos in both IIHS and NHTSA crash tests.  The only safety advantages that Volvo seems to currently hold over BMW are gimmicks like the heartbeat sensor and the integrated child booster seats.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:56:15 pm »

Modern BMWs perform at least as well as modern Volvos in both IIHS and NHTSA crash tests.  The only safety advantages that Volvo seems to currently hold over BMW are gimmicks like the heartbeat sensor and the integrated child booster seats.

I think BMW could benefit more then only safety gimmicks. One major benefit would be access to Volvo's Safety Centre, with its state-of-the-art facilities. https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=11476

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 05:05:34 pm »
I think BMW could benefit more then only safety gimmicks. One major benefit would be access to Volvo's Safety Centre, with its state-of-the-art facilities. https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=11476

The proof is in the pudding.  If that facility was genuinely industrly-leading and not a gimmick, shouldn't Volvos be class leaders in crash tests, instead of tied with BMW and lagging behind Subaru and VW?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:11 pm »
Hopefully the executives at BMW know what they are doing, but often when companies start buying up other cos, they take their focus off the main thing they do well themselves. I would hate to see BMW lose it's focus when they build such wonderful drivers cars.  :P

I cannot see why BMW would need Volvo, but what do I know??
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:09 pm »

The proof is in the pudding.  If that facility was genuinely industrly-leading and not a gimmick, shouldn't Volvos be class leaders in crash tests, instead of tied with BMW and lagging behind Subaru and VW?

Ok the safety centre is a gimmick.

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 07:25:53 pm »
Guess this won't happen. Volvo is what it is bc of Ford and vice versa. To me, Ford could even refrain from Jaguar in the last case, but not from Volvo.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 08:03:49 pm »
Deal doesn't make sense - Volvo and Ford's line-ups share quite a bit. Plus Volvo brings in much needed profit for Ford NA money losing operations. Maybe BMW is planning to gut the good bits and dump it like Rover but doesn't make much sense since Volvo is healthy.