Author Topic: 2008 Saturn Astra  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: 2008 Saturn Astra
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 07:28:28 pm »
I briefly sat in a white Astra 5-door XR on Saturday. The first impression was that the car is slightly smaller inside compared to the Mazda3. I was impressed with the dash and door materials - all soft-touch and the fabric headliner. It had a different feel (Euro ?!) maybe due to the different symbols and controls, but I liked it.
I didn't like very much the seats - too soft for me, but they are comfortable. Overall, it would be a nice 20K vehicle with automatic, but it is 21.9K and no-haggle Saturn policy. The same car in the US is 18.9K so there we go again, 3K more for us Canadians.
It would be a great one year-old, low mileage vehicle for few grand under 20K.

Oh, and did I mentioned that there is no center armrest and only one awkward cup holder? And no rear door bottle holders, just a small pocket good for few packs of gum.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 07:51:38 pm »
The Astra already nearing its 4th year of production, I'd assume a new model would be launched by summer 2009 (around the same time as the new Rabbit & Mazda3) ?

I understand this Astra will have a two year run, with the next design (global, this time) coming in 2010. One issue with buying an Astra now is that it will be an orphan shortly.

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:59 pm »
I was really looking forward to the Astra, when the news of its arrival in NA was announced nearly a year ago.  However, due to the delay in bringing this product to the market, its shine has tarnished somewhat, particularly in light of more recently offerings from other manufacturers and GM as well, which make the Astra a less compelling choice.  In particular, I am thinking of the new VIBE, the VW Rabbit and even the re-priced VW Golf/Jetta City and Nissan Versa, which are offer comparable levels of finish, for about the same price.  Factor in the conventional tendency for GM compacts to have dismal resale value, the Astra suddenly doesn't seem like that great a deal.   

Oh well, I am sure there will still be a cult following for these, but I can't think of any one unique factor which would set this car apart from its competitors. 

Cortina

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 08:53:02 pm »
I understand this Astra will have a two year run, with the next design (global, this time) coming in 2010. One issue with buying an Astra now is that it will be an orphan shortly.

I can't see why. Are you saying they will build the old and the new Astras side by side at the same plant. Because these Astras are assemble from a plant in Belguim, then ship to Canada. It makes me think in this case perhaps not.  :think:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »
Haven't seen one of these on the road yet...same with the new Malibu. Only demos from dealerships...

Aren't these suppose to be hot selling?  ??? I'd expect, for any new GM, that there will be a ton of them on the road by now.

Leviathan

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 09:35:24 pm »
I don't even know where the nearest Saturn dealership is to me. That can't help sales  :P

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 09:54:40 pm »

You could have said the same thing about the Toyota Echo hatch (replaced after a few years by the Yaris) and the Honda Fit (due to be replaced next year). Why should orphaning just be a Saturn/GM issue? Aren't most of these redesigns just skin deep, incremental changes, anyway?  :-\

I was really looking forward to the Astra, when the news of its arrival in NA was announced nearly a year ago.  However, due to the delay in bringing this product to the market, its shine has tarnished somewhat, particularly in light of more recently offerings from other manufacturers and GM as well, which make the Astra a less compelling choice.  In particular, I am thinking of the new VIBE, the VW Rabbit and even the re-priced VW Golf/Jetta City and Nissan Versa, which are offer comparable levels of finish, for about the same price.

From what little I've seen of the Astra, it's better built than both the VW Golf/Jetta City and Nissan Versa (which is what the Astra reminds me of the most).

Anyone else find it funny that all the chrome trimming that North Americans love in the interior of their cars is on the outside of the Astra?  :rofl2: