Author Topic: BMW 1 Series  (Read 161439 times)

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
Re: BMW 1 Series
« Reply #580 on: April 14, 2008, 04:18:56 pm »
The rear seat IS a "padded rear shelf".  If you need a real back seat, don't buy a coupe.  I didn't need one in my RSX, and I still don't need one.  In a pinch, I can fit 4.  Not comfortably, but better then nothing.  I'm 6'1" and I could fit.  Most of the time, my rear seat will be a place for my dog and luggage.  Headroom in the front is also a non-issue for me at 6'1".  I guess my height is in my legs?

Mitlov, it sounds like you didn't have a great experience with your local dealership.  It obviously varies from dealership to dealership (and sales associate) as my experience has been great.  I would have told him where to put it.

Regarding the seats, yes, they are "vinyl", but they are far better quality than the REAL leather in my Acura.  Plus, they will wear far better over time.  I'd rather have the base seats from Europe - fabric inserts.   :drool:

I scanned the article.  Not really worth commenting on.

I agree, the car is heavier then it needs to be.  However, it IS a BMW, and ride quality and sound deadening are a priority.  I hate how my RSX feels over uneven, bumpy roads.  The cost of a light car intended for every day use.

I don't have a problem with the price tag (obviously).  Sure, I can get into a 328i for the same (or less), but you don't get the engine, sports suspension, etc. etc.  I think it's priced right considering it costs less than an EVO and STI.  There isn't really anything else to compare it to, is there?

As long as you don't check a lot of boxes, I think it's a bargain baby M car.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
The 1er definitely will NOT make sense for a lot of people.  The annual number of 1ers planned for import into NA was listed somewhere on that 1addicts site, can't remember where...but suffice to say, it's not going to be a "volume seller" and nor should it be.

Most buyers will took at the pricetag and decide: a) it's worth sacrificing some performance and order a 328i; or b) it's worth the extra $10k to get a 335i.  Considering most BMW buyers are leasers, the numbers become even more attractice.

However, if you don't need the space (no kids, 3rd car, whatever), and you love performance in a relatively luxurious package...it's a very tempting car.

If you're looking at the backseat thinking how well it will fit the babyseat or (worse) kids....you probably aren't a potential buyer.  Get the 328i or pony up some more dough.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:34 pm »
The 1er definitely will NOT make sense for a lot of people.  The annual number of 1ers planned for import into NA was listed somewhere on that 1addicts site, can't remember where...but suffice to say, it's not going to be a "volume seller" and nor should it be.

I believe it's 2500 units for 2008.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 14, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »
evil twin - "The 1er definitely will NOT make sense for a lot of people."

You are right on. Back in the early 70s, the 2002 didn't make sense for a majority of ppl either, but for those of us that "got it" back then, we had a wonderful car to drive and take to sports car events like "Hillclimbs", etc.

At that time, the 2002 was as expensive as many larger, NA cars, and some ppl thought 2002 buyers were crazy; but ignorance was and is rampent and should be ignored by definition.

;) :)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #584 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
If you're looking at the backseat thinking how well it will fit the babyseat or (worse) kids....you probably aren't a potential buyer.  Get the 328i or pony up some more dough.

:o :'( :'( :'(  ... but I love that engine... and I can't afford a 335i.   :'( :'(
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Mitlov

« Reply #585 on: April 14, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »
The rear seat IS a "padded rear shelf".  If you need a real back seat, don't buy a coupe.  I didn't need one in my RSX, and I still don't need one.  In a pinch, I can fit 4.  Not comfortably, but better then nothing.  I'm 6'1" and I could fit.  Most of the time, my rear seat will be a place for my dog and luggage.  Headroom in the front is also a non-issue for me at 6'1".  I guess my height is in my legs?

Mitlov, it sounds like you didn't have a great experience with your local dealership.  It obviously varies from dealership to dealership (and sales associate) as my experience has been great.  I would have told him where to put it.

Regarding the seats, yes, they are "vinyl", but they are far better quality than the REAL leather in my Acura.  Plus, they will wear far better over time.  I'd rather have the base seats from Europe - fabric inserts.   :drool:

I scanned the article.  Not really worth commenting on.

I agree, the car is heavier then it needs to be.  However, it IS a BMW, and ride quality and sound deadening are a priority.  I hate how my RSX feels over uneven, bumpy roads.  The cost of a light car intended for every day use.

I don't have a problem with the price tag (obviously).  Sure, I can get into a 328i for the same (or less), but you don't get the engine, sports suspension, etc. etc.  I think it's priced right considering it costs less than an EVO and STI.  There isn't really anything else to compare it to, is there?

As long as you don't check a lot of boxes, I think it's a bargain baby M car.

I had a better experience the one other time I was at the dealership (test-driving a slightly-used 325i), so the problem was with the specific salesman.  But I just didn't understand why he wouldn't even let me place a toddler seat in the back just to eyeball how hard putting the kid in and taking him out would be.  Like I said, it was a vinyl-seated 128i, not a loaded 135i. 

I wasn't super-impressed by the feel of the vinyl, but the leather in my Jetta is better than average.  Nobody ever accused VW of skimping on interior materials.  The leatherette felt about as nice as the real leather in my mother's Outback LL Bean.

I realize that, looking at the 1-Series coupe, nobody would think "family car."  But I wanted to at least check it out in person, because every other luxury compact on the market (A3, B-Class, C30) can do an acceptable job of handling one or two kids, even if it's not ideal.  The 1-Series is more narrowly-focused than those cars in terms of performance, but after inspecting the inside, it's also FAR more narrowly-focused than those cars in terms of utility.  Not a criticism as much as just an observation.

Mitlov

« Reply #586 on: April 14, 2008, 11:13:12 pm »
dwarf-man,  the 128 is not a prius.    i have hit the family zone, population you.... soon.....   i am saving you a spot.  you just have to figure out how to get the 128 and the wifey buy a honda fit or something terminally sensible.  8)

Five-door GTI for the win!!!  (WRX gets an honorable mention).

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 15, 2008, 10:36:59 am »

:o :'( :'( :'(  ... but I love that engine... and I can't afford a 335i.   :'( :'(

haha...alright.  Maybe I was a biiiit harsh with the babyseat comment.  You could probably make that work.  My point was this car is closer to being a sportscar than it is a sedan. 

It "could" fit 4 in a pinch and it has a decently sized trunk, but it's not designed for weekly trips to the Home Depot and soccer practice.

As Mitlov mentioned, the other luxury compacts do a much better job of this (A3, B-class, C30).  But I really don't see any of those as true competitors to the 135i Coupe. 

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 15, 2008, 10:55:10 am »

As Mitlov mentioned, the other luxury compacts do a much better job of this (A3, B-class, C30).  But I really don't see any of those as true competitors to the 135i Coupe. 

Well not the MB B-Class and Volvo C30...but I would consider the A3 3.2 as one of it's biggest competitors.  The 135i offers more sport, while the A3 offers more function (4 doors, AWD), but they're both small, sporty, entry level cars to premium brands.

edit: I guess if I consider the A3 a competitor I would have to include the C30..even though it's FWD, underpowered, and overpriced  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:59:25 am by dave »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #589 on: April 15, 2008, 11:02:55 am »
...2500 for 2008........that leaves 492 fer ME.............. ;) wonder if'n they'll give me a GROUP DISCOUNT :think: :nono:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #590 on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:03 am »
haha...alright.  Maybe I was a biiiit harsh with the babyseat comment.  You could probably make that work.  My point was this car is closer to being a sportscar than it is a sedan. 

A forward facing toddler seat would work (heck, it'll technically work in MD's 911), but it's not ideal.  But a rear-facing baby seat is a non-starter.  I don't think it would physically fit at all.  Period.

Mitlov

« Reply #591 on: April 15, 2008, 11:05:56 am »
edit: I guess if I consider the A3 a competitor I would have to include the C30..even though it's FWD, underpowered, and overpriced  :P

The C30 T5 is as powerful as a 128i, and because it's turbocharged, you can get a LOT more power out of it with just an ECU chip.  So I don't think I'd agree that it's underpowered.  It is FWD, can't argue with that one.  Overpriced?  It depends on how you equip it, and that's a comment that's also been directed at the 1-Series more than once ;)  In the States, you can get a well-equipped C30 T5 for the price of a stripped 128i, but relative pricing may be different north of the border.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:57 pm »

The C30 T5 is as powerful as a 128i, and because it's turbocharged, you can get a LOT more power out of it with just an ECU chip.  So I don't think I'd agree that it's underpowered.  It is FWD, can't argue with that one.  Overpriced?  It depends on how you equip it, and that's a comment that's also been directed at the 1-Series more than once ;)  In the States, you can get a well-equipped C30 T5 for the price of a stripped 128i, but relative pricing may be different north of the border.

I agree.  I just think the C30 is overpriced for what you get.  I would probably be singing a different tune if it was AWD or RWD.  I definitely think it's a stylish car, when optioned out with big bucks (ie, get rid of all that plastic molding!)  

I'll take a stripped RWD car 10/10 times over a well-equipped FWD.   :)

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 15, 2008, 12:14:43 pm »
A nice article on topic with our discussion of cross-shopping with something like and EVO:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0806_bmw_135_mitsubishi_evo_mr_comparison

The 1er is the drag racer (.5 second advantage 0-60) with every day livability and the EVO is the enthusiast track-minded car beating the BMW around the 2.74 mile Reno-Fernley Raceway by 3.42 seconds.

1st Place: BMW 135i
Jaw-dropping drag racer in an Armani firesuit. It's one you want to live with, just not pay for month to month.

2nd Place: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Stunning dual transmission and track performance offset by everyday liveability woes. The more things change...

Yeah, I mentioned that article in the EVO GSR review thread:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,57059.40.html

Definitely an interesting comparison which highlights how different these cars are.  Track weapon vs. Everyday weapon (IMHO).

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »
Stunning dual transmission and track performance offset by everyday liveability woes. The more things change...[/b]

(sigh)... the AWD (all-season) 4-door with what should be a normal-sized trunk, is offset by everyday liveability woes.

I think what I really need is a 335i sedan priced at a 328i level.   :(

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 15, 2008, 03:19:08 pm »
Stunning dual transmission and track performance offset by everyday liveability woes. The more things change...[/b]

(sigh)... the AWD (all-season) 4-door with what should be a normal-sized trunk, is offset by everyday liveability woes.

Haha...hey Jeff, there is NOTHING wrong with a 230hp, RWD, 6-sp manual, beautiful German coupe. 

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 16, 2008, 12:42:31 am »

Ta Ta ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 16, 2008, 12:44:16 am »

I'll take a stripped RWD car 10/10 times over a well-equipped FWD.   :)

+1

AWD makes the winter so much more fun.

Mitlov

« Reply #598 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:57 am »
A nice article on topic with our discussion of cross-shopping with something like and EVO:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0806_bmw_135_mitsubishi_evo_mr_comparison

The 1er is the drag racer (.5 second advantage 0-60) with every day livability and the EVO is the enthusiast track-minded car beating the BMW around the 2.74 mile Reno-Fernley Raceway by 3.42 seconds.

1st Place: BMW 135i
Jaw-dropping drag racer in an Armani firesuit. It's one you want to live with, just not pay for month to month.

Stunning dual transmission and track performance offset by everyday liveability woes. The more things change...

Very interesting read.  Though I think that a comparison between the STI and 135i would be a better comparison, given that the STI has a superior interior and better ride quality than the EVO.  The EVO is a razor blade as sharp as they come, which is fantastic in many situations but just a bit too much for some people's everyday driving.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #599 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:09 pm »

Ta Ta ...

Please!!!  Put that thing away -- I'm trying to eat my lunch!!!   :hurl:  ;D