Author Topic: BMW 1 Series  (Read 161479 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: BMW 1 Series
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2008, 12:00:23 pm »
Took my car in for an early oil/filter today, and noted in the showroom, a new 128i Convertible. While the base price on this car was $39K and change, the ton of options added to this one made the sticker just over $50K (and it's not the 135i). That's expensive for a 128i but it did have every option. It was also SOLD. There is also a 135i Coupe on the lot, and the sticker on it is just over $48K. The inside 128i Convertible was a metallic grey, with a cream beige leather interior, it was sharp.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #541 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:51 pm »
My local dealer ( Waterloo BMW) had exactly the same pair of cars yesterday but neither were sold when I just happened to be passing and went in to take a look.   At those prices I'd get a 328xi sedan and have a back seat as well. I found the cabrio to have exactly 1/2 inch leg room in the back when I was comfortable in it. I did not notice the offset steering well as being as bad as others have said.

I still think that the 1-er coupe is more attractive than the 3-er coupe at the front anyway.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #542 on: April 03, 2008, 12:51:55 pm »
TPL, that's Dave's home dealership too... and I believe it was that very 135 that he managed to take for a rip yesterday.  Hopefully he'll share his impressions here.  He's probably still catching his breath -- by what I've heard, 'exhilaration' would be the understatement of the year (and remember, he's comparing the experience to a 500 hp M6). 

Sounds like BMW's got a winner on its hands.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2008, 01:02:44 pm »
TPL, GD is right, I was at BMW Waterloo yesterday and spent some time fooling around in the 128i cabrio and drove the Sedona Red 135i that was parked out front.  I'm running to a meeting now so I'll just copy and past my email to GD:

OK - I'll try to be objective...

You NEED to drive this car.  End communication.

Haha, ok, It was Sedona Red, Premium Package, Sport Package, loaded.  Sedona Red looks quite nice in the flesh but not my cup of tea.  It had the grey poplar trim which looks kind of brown in direct sunlight.  I'm happy I went with the glacier aluminum.  It had a sunroof.  I know you complained about headroom in the front seats but I had no problem with the seats all the way down.  Either way, I'm happy I didn't check that box - more room, less weight.  The seats are typical BMW...super supportive, lots of adjustments to find the perfect position, and yet pretty comfy.

Now, the important stuff:  I went out with the Sales Manager as he, "wanted to show me it's limits".  Later, he admitted that it was his first opportunity to drive it.  And drive it he did!  He just beat on it...redlining it and diving into on/off ramps.  He said that he will be getting one for himself.  The car handles like a dream.  Effortless hanging on at 120+km through an exit ramp.  Incredible.  It feels so nimble and tossable.  It will take me a while to get used to the brakes.  They are soooo grabby compared to the RSX....but I guess you can't compare the Acura's brakes to 6-piston brembos...

The transmission feels nice.  Not long by any means...but I wouldn't call it short.  Coming from the Acura, it took me a bit to get used to the clutch (I have the same problem going to the 645Ci/M6/540i).  The uptake is much quicker and it engages quickly resulting in a couple lurches (under fast shifting ;) ).

Does it ever get up and go!  4.7 to 60 doesn't surprise me.  It feels fast....even faster when you look down at the speedo!  O...and the sounds...THE SOUNDS!  The turbo whine made me wet...and the exhaust note is sooo much deeper and more raw in comparison to the 335i and 535i.  Incredible power in every gear.  I was coasting along in 5th gear on the highway, punched it, and it still pinned me to the seat.  Fantastic!

In comparison to the M6, it feels much more nimble (obviously because of the size), and it feels faster at least off the line. No doubt the M6 is much faster...but it's just too smooth.  The 135i lets you feel the power :)

Anyways, words don't do it justice.  You must drive it.

Mine should be hear in about 3-4 weeks.  The wait just got a lot harder.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:45:13 pm by dave »

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 03, 2008, 01:06:53 pm »
O yeah, then GD asked if there was anything I was disappointed in:

Disappointments?  The more I looked at the plastic "diffuser" at the back, the cheaper it looked.  There is a REAL diffuser made of carbon fibre offered through BMW Performance.  Possible cosmetic upgrade in my future?  The display was hard to read with my sunglasses on.  The tight steering wheel blocked out some of the tach/speedo...with more time I could probably come up with a seat/wheel position that was comfortable and didn't block it.  The pedals were too close together for my size 12 feet.  With a running shoe or smaller dress show I would be fine...but I had on my big black "winter" shoes.  I noticed it a little when jumping from the gas to the brake.

Absolutely no disappointments in terms of performance...It was better than I anticipated.  ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #545 on: April 03, 2008, 01:51:59 pm »
Dave, congrats on the purchase  :drool:, are the details (colour, etc) listed elsewhere?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #546 on: April 03, 2008, 02:26:03 pm »
I guess I was there before you Dave... about 11am    How do I know?  the car didn't smell of hot metal neither was it "ticking"      :D ;D ;) and I am quite sure the tires still had some tread...

I repaired to the Mini shop and was quite taken by a Cooper S actually fits me better than the 1-er and the JCW version should be here in August.

My choice would STILL be a 328xi in Montego blue with "natural" leather. 6MT and sport package.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 03, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »
Dave, congrats on the purchase  :drool:, are the details (colour, etc) listed elsewhere?

Nope.  Here they are:

- 135i coupe
- 6 speed manual
- M Sport package (18" M wheels, M shifter, M entry sills, M wheel, anthracite headliner, sport seats, high gloss shadow line)
- Metallic paint (LeMans blue - Canada/Euro M Sport package only, not available on US cars or 128i)
- Ski bag
- Aluminum Glacier trim (M Sport Package only)
- USB Audio integration
- Black leatherette

I kept the options to a minimum in order to get it to fit my budget.  I just wanted that N54 engine!  The M package was a must for me too for all those M goodies.  I thought about Alpine White to save $800...but my wife's Jetta is white.  I wasn't going to pony up for the $3,500 premium package either.  Leatherette ages better anyways.

TPL, I was there around 6pm.  I cross shopped a 328i coupe (and Evo X).  The 3 series coupe is beautiful.  I was ready to get a Montego Blue 328i coupe last year...but the performance of the 135i for the same price was hard to pass up.  Besides, the "bulldog" styling of the 1 has really grown on me.

I was very pleased with BMW's offer on my '04 RSX.  That sealed the deal.

I'll post pics and a review upon delivery...3-4 weeks   :'(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #548 on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:23 pm »
....SUPER DAVE...we ALL pray fer yer "recovery......NICE ONE :thumbup: :banana:   err nice 1 SERIES...iously...jealously too!!! ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #549 on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:31 pm »

Nope.  Here they are:

- 135i coupe
- 6 speed manual
- M Sport package (18" M wheels, M shifter, M entry sills, M wheel, anthracite headliner, sport seats, high gloss shadow line)
- Metallic paint (LeMans blue - Canada/Euro M Sport package only, not available on US cars or 128i)
- Ski bag
- USB Audio integration
- Black leatherette

I kept the options to a minimum in order to get it to fit my budget.  I just wanted that N54 engine!  The M package was a must for me too for all those M goodies.  I thought about Alpine White to save $800...but my wife's Jetta is white.  I wasn't going to pony up for the $3,500 premium package either.  Leatherette ages better anyways.

TPL, I was there around 6pm.  I cross shopped a 328i coupe (and Evo X).  The 3 series coupe is beautiful.  I was ready to get a Montego Blue 328i coupe last year...but the performance of the 135i for the same price was hard to pass up.  Besides, the "bulldog" styling of the 1 has really grown on me.

Wow, sounds dynamite!  Think the blue is gorgeous and will be more distinctive.

Must be hard to wait since you've sampled it and may see a few on the road, but not long to go...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:56:31 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #550 on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:23 pm »
Sounds like an amazing car. Where does the line form for a ride?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 03, 2008, 04:22:19 pm »
Congrats, Dave, it does sound like an amazing car. I like very much your option/color choices and it should look smashing in the special blue you are getting. The 3 to 5 week will drive you crazy, for sure.  ;D

I was lucky to get picked up to return to the dealership to get mine today in a new 128i coupe. It wasn't loaded up but had Premium pack and a couple other things on it. I was impressed, to say the least. This one stickered at just over $40K. The 128i is no slouch at all, so I can imagine that car with my N54 engine in it is a true M3 competitor (all except the new 414hp V8 M3 that is). Also saw a new M3 Sedan at the shop today. Not as nice looking as the M3 coupe but more practical obviously. Didn't ask the price.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 04, 2008, 12:38:38 am »
Big time congrats, Dave.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #553 on: April 04, 2008, 12:41:06 pm »
Wow, sounds dynamite!  Think the blue will be is gorgeous and more distinctive.
[color]

I think it sounds like a sissy colour.  Of course that could just be the insane, crippling jealousy speaking.   :-[   ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 04, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
Wow, sounds dynamite!  Think the blue is gorgeous and will be more distinctive.
[color]

I think it sounds like a sissy colour.  Of course that could just be the insane, crippling jealousy speaking.   :-[   ;D

I'm leaning toward the answer being jealousy, if only because that's how I feel :shuffle:

Where does the line form for a ride?

Yeah, photos just won't do. Since you'll enjoy driving it so much, want to come give us a ride?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:16:52 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #555 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »
Very nice. Enjoy!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

guenter

« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2008, 10:19:49 pm »

Nope.  Here they are:

- 135i coupe
- 6 speed manual
- Ski bag
- USB Audio integration
- Black leatherette

Dave, the car sounds great.  But, Ahem, have you told your wife   :bow:   yet ?   
I'm thinking of buying a 128 cabrio for my wife  ;)  for her birthday, problem is she hates convertibles..... what to do, what to do.  Seriously, though, was the dealer forthcoming with any kind of 'incentive' to make the deal sweeter for you?

cheers and enjoy, guenter

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »
Guenter - if your "what to do, what to do" is a solicitation of advice; I would say very strongly that if your wife hates convertibles, do NOT, under any circumstance, buy her one, even one as nice as the 1 Series cabrio. I have had some past experiences to back up my comments. Believe me, wives have long memories, and she will never let you forget you got her something (espensive, too) that she did not want. Besides, she will know it's really you that wants it.  ;)

It's a no win situation for you, trust me on this.  :(

guenter

« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
Guenter - if your "what to do, what to do" is a solicitation of advice; I would say very strongly that if your wife hates convertibles, do NOT, under any circumstance, buy her one, even one as nice as the 1 Series cabrio. I have had some past experiences to back up my comments. Believe me, wives have long memories, and she will never let you forget you got her something (espensive, too) that she did not want. Besides, she will know it's really you that wants it.  ;)

It's a no win situation for you, trust me on this.  :(

Thanks ovr50, it was and I do believe I can relate to your comments!  I'm grasping at straws here trying to justify getting a nice sport car.  It's actually worse than what I said since the wife says her back can't handle a stick anymore which, of course, is a requirement for true enjoyment.  Of course I recently bought a B200 to make her happy (it did) and thought that's the foot in the door ... but no dice.  Truly seems that the vast majority of women out there want a 4 door toyota - period.   ::)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #559 on: April 06, 2008, 08:45:21 pm »
Congats Dave, that's one awesome car.  Can't wait to see pictures!

On top of all the power and awesomeness you should get wicked fuel economy with that engine!