Author Topic: BMW 1 Series  (Read 161615 times)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Re: BMW 1 Series
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2007, 07:42:45 pm »
So the price will be in that range

Does this mean base price will be in that range, or will base price be the low end, then max options giving the high end?

If that's the case, those prices look appealing alright, especially for the 128i trim. The 128i's engine is plenty powerful...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2007, 08:19:43 pm »

Does this mean base price will be in that range, or will base price be the low end, then max options giving the high end?

If that's the case, those prices look appealing alright, especially for the 128i trim. The 128i's engine is plenty powerful...

Yes, most of the talk is of the 135i, but the 128i with the 230hp engine, non-turboed will be a fine car itself; and likely a touch less weight (not sure tho how the 128 engine compares weight-wise to the 135 twin turbo - which is also a 3L inline engine). A nicely equipped 128i would be a pleasurable car, I would think.  ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 05, 2007, 08:30:01 pm »

:iagree:  A base 128i would be perfect for someone who doesn't want anything fancy ... ok maybe the sport package. :P
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 05, 2007, 08:43:01 pm »

:iagree:  A base 128i would be perfect for someone who doesn't want anything fancy ... ok maybe the sport package. :P

Yeah, a 128i in starting in the low 30s would be hard to say no to.

Just the basics...give me heated seats / mirrors, the usual power gizmos, leatherette, half-decent stereo. I can get aftermarket HIDs. Doubt the car would come without sport suspension and I'd pass on the MSport suspension. Pay for my maintenance for 3-4 years and I'm game.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 05, 2007, 08:57:20 pm »

...not sure tho how the 128 engine compares weight-wise to the 135 twin turbo - which is also a 3L inline engine...

Couldn't find specific engine weights, but the (unladen) weight differences between the 328i and 335i coupes are as follows:

3 series (coupe)
- 328i: 3351 lb
- 335i: 3571 lb

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 05, 2007, 09:05:48 pm »

Yeah, a 128i in starting in the low 30s would be hard to say no to.

Just the basics...give me heated seats / mirrors, the usual power gizmos, leatherette, half-decent stereo. I can get aftermarket HIDs. Doubt the car would come without sport suspension and I'd pass on the MSport suspension. Pay for my maintenance for 3-4 years and I'm game.

Those options sound great. I think I'd add the Bluetooth (I think you can get it outside of iDrive), as it's not expensive by itself, and I am so spoiled by mine. The 3 series coupes already come standard with HIDs so hopefully the 1 series will too. I really like my HIDs. I'd probably take sports package too.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #346 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:52 pm »
Couldn't find specific engine weights, but the (unladen) weight differences between the 328i and 335i coupes are as follows:

3 series (coupe)
- 328i: 3351 lb
- 335i: 3571 lb

If the difference between the 128 and the 135 is also around 200 lbs, then that might be a tough choice.

As much as I like the idea of 300 HP, I also like the idea of a lighter, nimbler, maybe-even-better-handling ( ???) 128. 200 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

And even though the turbo engine is supposed to be brilliant, I think I'd really prefer the instant, linear throttle response of a naturally aspirated engine in a sporty little car like the 1-series. The turbo motor just seems a better match for a bigger, heavier, more GT-like car, such as the 335.

Plus, I'm not sure I like all the tacked-on "sporty" plastic skirts that come on the 135. I won't be sure until I see one in the flesh, but I think I much prefer the simpler, cleaner lines of the base 128.

Everybody seems to be lusting after the 135, but I think that a 128 (with a sport suspension package, if it's offered) just might be more fun to drive in the real world.

Traum

« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2007, 12:19:19 am »
If the difference between the 128 and the 135 is also around 200 lbs, then that might be a tough choice.

As much as I like the idea of 300 HP, I also like the idea of a lighter, nimbler, maybe-even-better-handling ( ???) 128. 200 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

And even though the turbo engine is supposed to be brilliant, I think I'd really prefer the instant, linear throttle response of a naturally aspirated engine in a sporty little car like the 1-series. The turbo motor just seems a better match for a bigger, heavier, more GT-like car, such as the 335.

I share your sentiments about the lighter weight and nimbler handling, but by most accounts from current 335i drivers, that 3L BMW turbo-charged mill is as smooth, linear, and lag-free as any turbo-charged engine gets (or at least in factory-tuned form). And then there is the rush from the incredibly seductive torque and power the moment you dip your right foot into the go pedal. To top if off, even more ridiculous amounts of power is only a ECU upgrade away.

A concern that I have about the 135i is heat. It has already been a widely reported problem in the 335i, and BMW really embarrassed themselves when Motortrend overheated the 335i test car in the comparo against the Nissan G37. Granted, that MT 335i test car didn't come with an oil cooler, which has now been reported to be a standard part of every 3L tubro charged engine in the Bimmers. But the 1-series' engine bay is a bit smaller than the 3-series', so it is likely to have a worse response to engine bay heat issues.

-Rick

davidm

« Reply #348 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
Not sure what you mean by 335ci - do you mean the 335i coupe (which also now comes as a 335xi coupe for '08). Technically, there is no model called the 335ci - it is confusing as was earlier models called a 325ci, etc.

In the end, I doubt I will be attracted to the 1 Series as I think, for me, just a touch small. We'll see in the Spring, I guess.

Ovr, is the 335xi coupe for '08 confirmed for Canada?  Any idea on delivery date?  Might move my boss off his A5/S5 target plan (he wants the S5, but will only drive auto).

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »
A concern that I have about the 135i is heat. It has already been a widely reported problem in the 335i, and BMW really embarrassed themselves when Motortrend overheated the 335i test car in the comparo against the Nissan G37. Granted, that MT 335i test car didn't come with an oil cooler, which has now been reported to be a standard part of every 3L tubro charged engine in the Bimmers. But the 1-series' engine bay is a bit smaller than the 3-series', so it is likely to have a worse response to engine bay heat issues.

Ditto. I am waiting to see how the reliability of the twin-turbo is over a longer period of time.....

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 06, 2007, 07:39:25 pm »
Not sure what you mean by 335ci - do you mean the 335i coupe (which also now comes as a 335xi coupe for '08). Technically, there is no model called the 335ci - it is confusing as was earlier models called a 325ci, etc.

In the end, I doubt I will be attracted to the 1 Series as I think, for me, just a touch small. We'll see in the Spring, I guess.

Ovr, is the 335xi coupe for '08 confirmed for Canada?  Any idea on delivery date?  Might move my boss off his A5/S5 target plan (he wants the S5, but will only drive auto).

Davidm - I will have to check to be 100% sure of the 335xi coupe for Canada, and I will do so, and send you a PM.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2007, 02:16:09 pm »
Frankfurt: Report - BMW 1-Series to Start Under $30,000 in U.S.
http://news.windingroad.com/auto-shows/frankfurt-auto-show/frankfurt-bmw-1-series-to-start-under-30000-in-us/

Good news out of Frankfurt today—according to a new report in Automotive News, BMW’s forthcoming 1-series coupe will nose in under $30,000 when it arrives in the U.S. this spring.

While that’s hardly discount stuff, the rear-drive, entry-level offering has enthusiasts salivating, because even the entry-level 128i will arrive packing a 230-horsepower inline-6. The even more compelling 300-horsepower 135i will command closer to $35k as a starting point, but that should still be enough to spirit away a few sales from Audi A3 and Volvo C30 intenders. BMW’s CEO, Tom Purves, also thinks that the MSRP will be low enough that it will cajole “customers from the likes of Honda, Toyota and Mazda.”

From what we’ve seen here in Frankfurt, we’re ready for the baby Bimmer.

Game on

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2007, 02:19:56 pm »
I believe this is point where someone writes, "But in Canada it will cost $20,000 more. Why do we pay so much more in Canada... etc. etc. etc.!"

That is a nice starting price point. I'd like to see the full range of pricing and options that will be available.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:05 pm »
I believe this is point where someone writes, "But in Canada it will cost $20,000 more. Why do we pay so much more in Canada... etc. etc. etc.!"

That is a nice starting price point. I'd like to see the full range of pricing and options that will be available.

We follow this with two words:

checkbook, passport

Mitlov

« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:11 pm »
http://news.windingroad.com/auto-shows/frankfurt-auto-show/frankfurt-bmw-1-series-to-start-under-30000-in-us/

Good news out of Frankfurt today—according to a new report in Automotive News, BMW’s forthcoming 1-series coupe will nose in under $30,000 when it arrives in the U.S. this spring.

While that’s hardly discount stuff, the rear-drive, entry-level offering has enthusiasts salivating, because even the entry-level 128i will arrive packing a 230-horsepower inline-6. The even more compelling 300-horsepower 135i will command closer to $35k as a starting point, but that should still be enough to spirit away a few sales from Audi A3 and Volvo C30 intenders. BMW’s CEO, Tom Purves, also thinks that the MSRP will be low enough that it will cajole “customers from the likes of Honda, Toyota and Mazda.”

Game on

Is "under $30,000" equal to $29,999 with base paint and not including fees?  That would make it roughly $2000 less than a 328i sedan...not enough of a difference for me.  I think it needs to come in at about US$27k or $28k.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2007, 07:37:17 pm »

Game on

Having driven both the 335i and the 535i with the twin-turbo engine, I can assure you the new 135i will be a total rocket ship.....!!!!!  :skid:

I think that BMW will have no trouble selling a ton of 1 Series, but the 128i car might prove to be less of a handful than the 135i. No doubt some 16 year olds with parents too foolish to know not to give a kid a small car with 300+ hp will end up wrapping themselves around a pole.  ::)

Mitlov

« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:54 pm »
I think that BMW will have no trouble selling a ton of 1 Series, but the 128i car might prove to be less of a handful than the 135i. No doubt some 16 year olds with parents too foolish to know not to give a kid a small car with 300+ hp will end up wrapping themselves around a pole.  ::)

It can't decimate high school populations any more than the STi, EVO, and 350Z have.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2007, 08:04:13 pm »

It can't decimate high school populations any more than the STi, EVO, and 350Z have.

Depends, some parents who are teetering on the edge might just think the 135 is more harmless than a STi/Evo/350Z and get their kid one instead of a boring Scoob or Honda. :)

Mitlov

« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2007, 08:07:53 pm »
Depends, some parents who are teetering on the edge might just think the 135 is more harmless than a STi/Evo/350Z and get their kid one instead of a boring Scoob or Honda. :)

True.  It doesn't have a giant wing, and therefore, in the eyes of underinformed parents, it's a more mellow vehicle.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2007, 08:21:28 pm »
I'm starting to warm up to this engine!!  I was waiting for power-ups to start coming out (a la Supra).  Well they're here.  For not alot of money, the power up kit for this engine is putting down just over 340RWHP......Starting to look like a really good bang for the buck, and in the 1 Series, that kind of power will be AWESOME!!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...