Author Topic: BMW 1 Series  (Read 161516 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: BMW 1 Series
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2007, 03:08:21 pm »
Buy it first, tell her later, that's what I do..  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Mitlov

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:38 pm »

How has that worked out for you?   ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2007, 03:17:19 pm »

How has that worked out for you?   ;D

For some reason she burst into tears when I told her about the Exige, adverse to large spending I suppose.  But she loved it when we picked it up!  She also loves the Subaru... now.  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2007, 03:19:04 pm »
she may want a house first  :'(

mdxtasy

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2007, 03:21:24 pm »

I am completely open with my plans. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2007, 03:23:11 pm »

Oh I told her I was going to the dealer with the intention of buying it, she just cries easily...

Mitlov

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2007, 03:24:11 pm »

And I'd like that too, so reality is, this might be a pipe dream.  At least for now.

But let's see if my employer makes a decimal-place error in my Christmas bonus this year  ;D

UmroAyyar

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2007, 03:25:25 pm »

That has worked well for me so far. Now she's planning for her own personal car - 2 door.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2007, 03:26:06 pm »

When do you tell her?  When you are in the thinking about something new stage or when you are ready to buy?

I was told I can't have another bike this year...that is ok as the bike I have is great and I'll gladly ride it to the end of the year. I've already told my bike guy that I'm interested in something "better" so he will call me in the fall when a great deal comes along.  Since I wouldn't ride it until next year anyway, the bike can sit at the store until February.  ;)

mdxtasy

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2007, 03:40:30 pm »
I tell her in the thinking stages....."Hey Hon, I've been thinking...."

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2007, 03:55:58 pm »
If that's for me, we owned a house when I bought the exige.

Mitlov

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:41 pm »
Press release and more photos:

http://www.dieselstation.com/news/automotive/bmw-135i-unofficially-official.html

Two engines are confirmed: a 230hp 128i and a 300hp 135i.

And on a personal note, while I probably won't be able to afford a new one, I could probably afford a 3-4 year old one in 5-6 years, which is good enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 04:15:26 pm by Mitlov »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2007, 04:49:33 pm »
Yep, that 300hp twin-turbo 135i definitely has some appeal.... ;) ;) ;)

As to when do you "tell" the "other" - man, it gets more difficult all the time. I have tried the "trickle out" of information method; I have done the "already bought it" so no discussion (that worked really well on previous wife but no so good on current/"keeper" wife); I have done the "just wanting to share the experience with you" trick with mixed success. I think the best for me at this stage, given my rather poor track record of keeping cars, is to keep quietly chipping away over a period of time. Eventually she gets to the "I'm sick of hearing about the damn thing, just go do it, as you are going to anyway". Then it's usually a "go" at that stage.

My current ploy, along with gentle hints every so often, is to think out loud about the mods I may do to the GT/CS and what they cost. The last retort to that was, "that's stupid, why don't you just think about getting what you want but it has to be a total of only 2 cars here, not 3". To which I say, OK that makes sense so I'll think about it. Don't want to rush too much or I undo the gains I've made so far. 

Unfortunately, as we both get closer to "retiremant", she becomes more cautious, and I become crazier as there are so many more vehicles to own before I croak.

;D ;D ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »
Yep, that 300hp twin-turbo 135i definitely has some appeal.... ;) ;) ;)

As to when do you "tell" the "other" - man, it gets more difficult all the time. I have tried the "trickle out" of information method; I have done the "already bought it" so no discussion (that worked really well on previous wife but no so good on current/"keeper" wife); I have done the "just wanting to share the experience with you" trick with mixed success. I think the best for me at this stage, given my rather poor track record of keeping cars, is to keep quietly chipping away over a period of time. Eventually she gets to the "I'm sick of hearing about the damn thing, just go do it, as you are going to anyway". Then it's usually a "go" at that stage.

My current ploy, along with gentle hints every so often, is to think out loud about the mods I may do to the GT/CS and what they cost. The last retort to that was, "that's stupid, why don't you just think about getting what you want but it has to be a total of only 2 cars here, not 3". To which I say, OK that makes sense so I'll think about it. Don't want to rush too much or I undo the gains I've made so far. 

Unfortunately, as we both get closer to "retiremant", she becomes more cautious, and I become crazier as there are so many more vehicles to own before I croak.

;D ;D ::)

Ah they just give in after a while..  :rofl2:  As long as she is happy, then she's fine with me being happy. You only live once.

She used to love driving the lotus, and for some reason people would always be surprised when they would see a woman get out.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2007, 05:13:31 pm »
Retired already  I am pre authorized for a 335i.   Its even in the financial plan for 2008 or 2009.  It will probably be the last new expensive car I'll own.
I may well buy a diesel instead tho'   but not a 1 series coupe although I guess I will be in the thundering herd going to the dealer to look as soon as they appear.  I do sometimes wonder if a nearly new 5-er or  E320 mught not suit my new ex-urban image better  or even a pickup truck
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:16:58 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2007, 05:26:11 pm »
Retired already  I am pre authorized for a 335i.   Its even in the financial plan for 2008 or 2009.  It will probably be the last new expensive car I'll own.
I may well buy a diesel instead tho'   but not a 1 series coupe although I guess I will be in the thundering herd going to the dealer to look as soon as they appear.  I do sometimes wonder if a nearly new 5-er or  E320 mught not suit my new ex-urban image better  or even a pickup truck

Get the coupe/convertible 3 with the metal folding roof, I saw one recently and it looked v nice!

"Pre authorized", love it.  I think everyone on this board is whipped in some way  :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2007, 05:31:43 pm »
Get the coupe/convertible 3 with the metal folding roof, I saw one recently and it looked v nice!

"Pre authorized", love it.  I think everyone on this board is whipped in some way  :rofl2:

Yeah, but the 135i would be a lot cheaper and a lot lighter...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2007, 05:46:01 pm »

Yup.  Everyone makes their own deal and downsizing a house from TO to the burbs makes all kinds of things possible

No convertible for me, I'd never open it.   No coupe either I actually prefer the look of the sedan.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2007, 05:48:21 pm »

Yeah, but the 135i would be a lot cheaper and a lot lighter...
I dunno how much that will cost in Canada but I reckon you can get more bang for buck elsewhere. Anyone got a predicted price?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2007, 06:09:08 pm »

In my mind, the 335i is the route to go, but I don't know at this early stage if it would be the coupe or the sedan. I have rejected the E91 wagon idea as wifey hates the wagon idea and there's no sense fighting for a wagon over a coupe or even sedan (if we keep the HL as is the current plan). The 335i Cab is sweet but just too much money!! So, it would likely be an E92 Coupe or E90 sedan in 335 guise. The 135i is neat, but I think the 3Series makes more sense for the two of us. Have to see the 135 in person tho.

Too early yet.  :P