Author Topic: Average Price of New Car in Canada: $32,700  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Average Price of New Car in Canada: $32,700
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:23:55 am »

Record spending on new vehicles: StatsCan
Last Updated: Monday, April 23, 2007 | 11:06 AM ET
CBC News

Canadians drove the number of new vehicles sold in 2006 to its second highest annual level — and paid more for those vehicles than ever before, says Statistics Canada.

Collectively, they bought 1,666,327 new cars and trucks for a record total value of $54.6 billion — up 3.9 per cent from the previous year, according to a Statistics Canada report released Monday.

Despite rising gas prices, the sales of gas-hungry minivans, sport utility vehicles, light and heavy trucks, vans and buses surged to a new record high.

Consumers bought 803,166 of these vehicles in 2006, up 2.3 per cent from the previous year.

The average sale price of a new vehicle also hit a new high, rising by 1.7 per cent to about $32,700.

Consumers in the western provinces bought more expensive vehicles than their eastern counterparts.

The Statistics Canada report says that while sales of new passenger cars increased for a second consecutive year, they still fell far short of the record level set in 2002.

Continuing a long-term trend, passenger cars built overseas accounted for 33.6 per cent of the country's new car market in 2006.

That's up from 10 years earlier when overseas-built vehicles accounted for only 13.3 per cent of sales.

North America's traditional "Big Three" automakers still control a slight majority of the market.

But they are losing market share to automaker "transplants" — plants owned by overseas companies that build or assemble vehicles in North America.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Average Price of New Car in Canada: $32,700
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:27:53 am »
I just don't BUY........AVERAGE CARS :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:28:50 am »
"Consumers in the western provinces bought more expensive vehicles than their eastern counterparts."

Nah, they are the same cars - they just cost more out here.  :'( :'( :'( ;)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:52:03 am »
"Consumers in the western provinces bought more expensive vehicles than their eastern counterparts."

I like to think we have better taste in cars   :lick:  :-X   :-X   :rofl:  :rofl2:

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:07:23 pm »

I like to think we have better taste in cars   :lick:  :-X   :-X   :rofl:  :rofl2:

That might make sense except the more expensive vehiclesare likley made up mostly of loaded up (and now gas guzzler tax on top) redneck pickup trucks.  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:12:59 pm »
"COR i've heard GOLF CARTS are fetchin $40K in Victoria........they are considered..SPORTS CARS!!!!!..........a Yaris is an EXOTIC :rofl2:

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:28 pm »
"COR i've heard GOLF CARTS are fetchin $40K in Victoria........they are considered..SPORTS CARS!!!!!..........a Yaris is an EXOTIC :rofl2:

So you actually HAVE spent time on the Island.  ;D ;D

mdxtasy

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 02:52:46 pm »
You Canucks are making too much...spending all that coin on fancy wheels.  Maybe it's because the prices in Canada aren't properly adjusted to the American pricing....;)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:16:59 pm »
Lots of oilfield and construction money, in AB at least. The registration office said the amount of new vehicles getting licensed is crazy. And walking around the neighborhood a lot seem to be high end pickups. A loaded superduty diesel is over $70,000.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:21:03 pm »
What I can't figure is the people that are not effect by the oil/gas industry.  One of my neighbours is a pharmacutical sales rep and his wife is a nurse.  Sure, they earn a good living combined, but in the last little while they've gone from a CR-V and Accord to a new BMW 5-series and a Cayenne Turbo.  (That's from about $65,000 worth of cars at new price, to $195,000) This is true of many people around us.  Are people really making a ton more money (yes, oil/gas, but everyone else too?) or are people just tapping the ridiculous incease in their home equity?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 05:32:06 pm »
I make a little bit more money but I'd wager most has been sucked up into cost of living increases.  ???

I suspect other people just don't mind big debt loads ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 05:55:35 pm »
You both are correct I believe.   Higher debt loads AND cheap lines of credit against home equity and maybe Jgx your neighbout has just paid off his mortgage or cashed in some stock options: the Cdn stock market has been very kind for 5 years now.  Or even... if he is a genx'r or a Boomer just had a parent kick the bucket and has some of that 1.5Trillion $$ that supposedly is tied up in the old folks house and life insurance.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

mdxtasy

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:56 pm »
What I can't figure is the people that are not effect by the oil/gas industry.  One of my neighbours is a pharmacutical sales rep and his wife is a nurse.  Sure, they earn a good living combined, but in the last little while they've gone from a CR-V and Accord to a new BMW 5-series and a Cayenne Turbo.  (That's from about $65,000 worth of cars at new price, to $195,000) This is true of many people around us.  Are people really making a ton more money (yes, oil/gas, but everyone else too?) or are people just tapping the ridiculous incease in their home equity?

Bingo.  Monthly payments on the LOC is low compared to trying to get a car loan for each vehicle....

dorin

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 06:15:38 pm »

Bingo!  Along with a short-sighted case of trying to keep up with the Joneses.

edit:  Apparently I've been beaten to the punch three times.  :rofl:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:26 pm »
I'd like to see the numbers broken down according to those who lease and those who actually bought said vehicles.
That'd make a substantial difference in the average.

With average incomes in the $37,000 range, seems quite a few people are in over their heads.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

mdxtasy

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 07:12:55 pm »
I'd like to see the numbers broken down according to those who lease and those who actually bought said vehicles.

With average incomes in the $37,000 range,

I'd say a lot of the more expensive vehicles are leased....but I'd say in either situation, a lot of people are in over their heads without even knowing it.  Sell it on the payment....

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:14:26 pm by MdX5 »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »

With average incomes in the $37,000 range, seems quite a few people are in over their heads.

I have a suspicion that the $37,000 number is a bit low 'cos that I think is not Family Income... which does manage to income split nicely for taxes as well.

I cannot argue that it may well be statistically correct but amongst all the people I know working and retired  it would be a joke.   Johngenx's Yuppies from Hell  I'd bet and certainly people I know  in Cabbagetown and friends in Milton and Guelph  make more like 3 times that.  ( In Cabbagetown the mean is skewed downwards by the people in Regents Park)

And the Line of credit thing.... we have practically NO INCOME that shows on a T1 General for 2007... maybe only the $37,000 between us.  But we have been offered a LOC of well over $300,000 at prime secured on the house of course. We have no use for this but it does help to avoid title theft I suppose. Soooooo we could buy a 5-series and a Cayenne Turbo too.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 11:40:56 pm »
Leasing (and financing to a lesser extent) really makes it possible to squeeze a lot more car out of your salary...I never grew up with this concept as my family always saved and bought used cars straight up (never borrowed money for anything as far as I know except the mortgage and maybe when my parents were starting a business) until we were financially better off.

I could certainly have afforded to pay for the TSX myself if I financed it, but of course this would mean that I would be eating away big-time at my retained income. If I were leasing I reckon I could have afforded an S4 or M3 or something. But of course zero equity in the car...

As far as buying it with my own funds? Just a dream. Would likely have secured an $8k LOC to get a used Impreza if that were the case.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

mdxtasy

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 12:08:24 am »
Leasing an S4 or an M3 would be into the $1000+/month payment....got to make good coin to truly afford that.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 12:14:14 am »
Leasing an S4 or an M3 would be into the $1000+/month payment....got to make good coin to truly afford that.

Yes, I was saying that I could "technically afford" that. Wouldn't leave as much retained income as I would like, obviously. Trying to keep at least 40% of the pre-tax money I'm making...