Author Topic: The dummying of Subaru  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: The dummying of Subaru
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 04:47:55 pm »
B9 with leather starts at $45gs in Canada , 5gs more then the VeraCruz starts at
, this will bit into the B9 sales

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 06:31:18 pm »
Who didn't see this coming?  Subaru following VW into "we ARE an upscale brand, dammit!"  The Tribeca is a huge flop, and the expensive Legacy products are just not selling.  The Impreza is a great product, but sits in a no-where land of products.

Subaru was kickin' arse when it reinvented itself back in 96/97 with the Outback products, and then lost its way when it decided it was an Acura/Lexus competitor instead of Honda/Toyota.

Right now, in Canada, the Impreza needs to be $21,995 for the wagon, $25-29K for the Forester non-turbo line and the non-turbo Legacies need to be $27-30K.

:iagree: Right on, John.

I agree with AVT, right on John.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 06:43:47 pm »
Who didn't see this coming?  Subaru following VW into "we ARE an upscale brand, dammit!"  The Tribeca is a huge flop, and the expensive Legacy products are just not selling.  The Impreza is a great product, but sits in a no-where land of products.

Subaru was kickin' arse when it reinvented itself back in 96/97 with the Outback products, and then lost its way when it decided it was an Acura/Lexus competitor instead of Honda/Toyota.

Right now, in Canada, the Impreza needs to be $21,995 for the wagon, $25-29K for the Forester non-turbo line and the non-turbo Legacies need to be $27-30K.

:iagree: Right on, John.

I agree with AVT, right on John.

The non-turbo Legacy is in the $27-30K range, isn't it? The 5MT Sedan is $27K. Plus $1000 for the wagon, plus $1200 for the Auto, and you top out at $29200. Or you can get the 5MT Touring Edition Sedan for $29200.

IMO, the Legacy needs just a few things to bring it into the view of CamCord shoppers:
1. Work on that rear seat room
2. Advertising !
3. Stability control
4. A few more interior gadgets (steering wheel audio controls, I mean geez...)
5. Five. Cog. Slushbox.

It already has supreme crash test results and AWD goodness, and reasonable fuel economy.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:18 pm »
The non-turbo Legacy is in the $27-30K range, isn't it? The 5MT Sedan is $27K. Plus $1000 for the wagon, plus $1200 for the Auto, and you top out at $29200. Or you can get the 5MT Touring Edition Sedan for $29200.

IMO, the Legacy needs just a few things to bring it into the view of CamCord shoppers:
1. Work on that rear seat room
2. Advertising !
3. Stability control
4. A few more interior gadgets (steering wheel audio controls, I mean geez...)
5. Five. Cog. Slushbox.

It already has supreme crash test results and AWD goodness, and reasonable fuel economy.

The Legacy wagon line needs to roll out the door with a pre-tax (but all other fees) price NO MORE than $29,995 with an AT and the Touring Package or more.  Offer a leather option package for $1999 or something, as the $35,xxx Limited is just too high.  It's more than an Accord EX-L, and should not be a dime more.  People need to get AWD for "free" if Subaru is to get market penetration.  Heck, if they could use Toyota's knowledge to trim costs and bring the Touring Package Wagon to the customer for $28K including PDI and AT, that would match the US pricing and might be a real winner with some promotion.

With a $21,995 Impreza wagon, make the WRX version $28,995 or maybe $29,995.  Drop the idiotic Impreza Outback which must be the worst new car buy on the planet and just makes Subaru seem retarded when you look at the Impreza line.  Add heated seats as an option to the Impreza for $395 and be done with it.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 12:45:14 am »
one more "I agree with John".

When I was looking at the 92X a few months ago I was hesitating pondering the new Impreza which I figured would have a few features I wanted .. and a few I didn't (like hatchback-styling).

But, what put me off waiting was the price I could get the 92x for (slightly under 22K including all fees except GST) versus what I figured Subie would want for a 2008 Impreza (as in .. thousands more).

At 22K, I was/am a happy camper.  If I had waited and the new Impreza was flirting with 25k or so (for the wagon) - I'd be thinking thrice.

Similarly - our 95 legacy wagon is getting long in the tooth and I hope to replace it with an Outback one day... but at Outback prices - it sure as heck won't be brand-new.

All that said -- If I could get an AWD Camry wagon at a decent price ...hmmmmmmmmm ... doesn't sound so bad for the family hauler... which can't be driven to sportily around corners anyway or wife/kids start feeling sick!!

Ron

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 01:14:49 am »

Infusion of cash => more R&D => better quality => more production => lower cost => lower prices for more engineering!

This is what I am hoping for. Hopefully Toyota will be smart and not Toyota-ize the Subaru brand, but make it better and vice-versa, so this will be a win-win situation.

EDIT: Actually, don't hit me Snowy ;D, but I am actually looking forward to the possibilities from this. I love, love my Toyotas, and I want to get a new one or a Lexus, but I could not bear driving one anymore :'(..... unless they Subaru-ize them some.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:20:56 am by Julie »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 01:22:34 am »
I love, love my Toyotas, and I want to get a new one or a Lexus, but I could not bear driving one anymore :'(..... unless they Subaru-ize them some.

If this happens, will you have the new car bug again?  :P :P :P :rofl2:

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 01:35:36 am »
I love, love my Toyotas, and I want to get a new one or a Lexus, but I could not bear driving one anymore :'(..... unless they Subaru-ize them some.

If this happens, will you have the new car bug again?  :P :P :P :rofl2:

Yes.

Except that it's the husband's car that I'd change, hehe.  ;D >:D

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 06:35:47 am »
Infusion of cash => more R&D => better quality => more production => lower cost => lower prices for more engineering!
This is what I am hoping for. Hopefully Toyota will be smart and not Toyota-ize the Subaru brand, but make it better and vice-versa, so this will be a win-win situation.

Saab Déjà Vu?
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

dorin

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
Basically, Subaru needs to sell cars in Canada at the same relative price that they sell them in the United States.  Here, the Impreza is priced squarely against the Civic.  The Legacy four-cylinder is priced against Camry and Accord 4-cylinders, and the Legacy GT is barely more expensive than well equipped V6 Camrys and Accords.  Subaru doesn't do great in the States because most people here don't see the value in fuel-economy-draining AWD (and with good reason, in places like Texas and California).  But in Canada, with that pricing, Subaru could become one of the leading manufacturers.

:iagree:  the same as :iagree: with John.  I think that a Subaru that's within $1000-2000 of a similarly equipped Honda/Toyota/Mazda with the same interior build quality and the advantage of the AWD would sell like hotcakes in Canada.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 08:14:16 pm »
In terms of manufacturer reliability, Subaru is there.  CR recently ranked 1-3 respectively, Honda, Subaru, Toyota.  They have worked VERY hard to correct any problems associated with the 96-00 cars and for some time have made cars right with the very best of them.

Just fix the Canuck pricing and start competing in the right segments.  Oh, and a little car with AWD and bring some diesels here, please.  The TDI kept VW afloat in Canada and I bet that diesel AWD Scoobs (grip and 5L/100km?  Wow!) would be a crowd pleaser...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 03:36:59 pm »

The Legacy wagon line needs to roll out the door with a pre-tax (but all other fees) price NO MORE than $29,995 with an AT and the Touring Package or more.  Offer a leather option package for $1999 or something, as the $35,xxx Limited is just too high. 

Same with the Forester.  It starts out low enough but by the time you get to the 2.5XS model (which is probably the sweet spot, at least for me) you are up to just under $33,000.  Add another $1000.00 for automatic.  All these figures are before any fees or taxes.

Otherwise, get used to driving a "Subota".
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"