Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41769 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 05:15:55 pm »
Here's a review of the Ralliart.  They don't sound impressed..at least that's my perspective...

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=127586/pageNumber=1

That sounds like a great little car to be honest!  Can you fit baby seats in the back...  :shuffle:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

DaMizZa

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »
I don't know why there is all the hype about the GTS ... I bought a DE and the difference in price was more than enough to have all the differences installed aftermarket (With the exception of useless extras I don't particularly care for such as the weak body kit, rims and minor cosmetics like the chrome plated door handles) ... In the end, all the only differences between the DE and GTS that matter are the rear swaybar, sunroof, tint and spoiler... Not worth the $8,000 IMHO. When you think about it, how many people keep the stock rims? And little conveniences like controls on the steering wheel are nowhere near useful enough for me to pay over the cash. The only thing I regret is the lack of FAST keys, but an aftermarket car starter/alarm seems to fill that void rather nicely.

One thing I must admit though, the engine noise is definitely present but I personally find it pleasant. I don't understand how people can complain about the sound of the Lancer's engine, when so many people turn around and put these mufflers that make their car sound like it is ready to explode any minute... Not sure when that became cool, but can't wait for that to go out of style!

The Lancer isn't all peachy though, and I am really amazed that no one picked on this yet, as it is such a huge problem for all Mistubishi cars I've found: The PAINT! Even the EVO X, which is a fairly expensive car, is getting sandblasted from regular everyday driving. My car hasn't taken it too badly, although the grill insert they put on my car (still haven't seen another Lancer with this, and I never paid extra for it or even asked for it) has already started to rust. To be fair, the grill insert itself isn't rusting, just the screws holding it on but that is still pretty sad for a car I haven't even owned for a year yet! Biggest concern by far however is going to be resale value... Being a first gen car with this many problems, not to mention the 2.4L they gave the '09s (kind of a slap in the face) the prospects aren't looking to bright. Might be one of those cars where you might as well drive it until it dies, as you're never really going to get anything back when you sell it.

My biggest thing about the Lancer is it's nice to have a car that still looks aggressive, drives and handles nicely, and has 4 doors to get my daughter in and out of it with out having to contort my body. While the Mazda 3 is the same, I personally can't stand the look of that front end, looks like someone beat a Lancer until it was swollen or something, not good.

And that's my .02

Mitlov

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 11:40:13 pm »
^^^^Is the suspension that bad really though?  Edmunds tested the WRX and it got the same on the skidpad .81, but bested the Ralliart in the slalom. Better braking number, quicker to 60, through the quarter.  It just seems the WRX is the better package.

I disagree.  I think that the two cars are very closely matched, and it comes down to what you’re looking for.  It's true, the Edmunds review wasn't all roses.  But Edmunds is good about that...they point out the shortcomings of most cars they drive, whereas C&D tends to treat every new car as the greatest thing ever.  Instead of reading the Edmunds review of the Ralliart in isolation, I think it’s worth reading the review of the Ralliart back-to-back with their review of the 2008 WRX.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=127586#  (Ralliart)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=121788 (WRX)

OUT-OF-THE-BOX:

The WRX definitely has an advantage in performance numbers.  Faster to 60 mph by either 0.7 or 0.3 seconds, depending on how you launch the Ralliart.  Same skidpad numbers.  The WRX is 0.3 seconds faster through the quarter-mile, though the Ralliart is 0.2 mph faster at the end of it.  The WRX stops from 60 mph in 7 fewer feet.

However, and there’s a big however, the subjective feel of the cars is the opposite of the performance numbers.  Edmunds wrote:

In truth, the Lancer Ralliart feels much faster than its time slip suggests.
But you should consider that this car is tuned for hard driving in the real world, not on a skid pad or drag strip. Do like we did and take Mitsu's 'tweener to a dirt portion of Mulholland Drive or to our favorite, Glendora Mountain Road (a.k.a. GMR), and this car starts to come together as if it deserves its Ralliart badges.
Sure, the Ralliart sheepishly understeers into corners, but man, does it exit like a lion. There's no question the active center differential plus front and rear limited-slip diffs are sorting out the best way to put the power down. Switch off the standard stability control and the Ralliart provides as much breathtaking oversteer in high-speed esses as you dare attempt.
the Ralliart's pedal feedback, ability to modulate minute pressures and unfaltering fade-free brakes are fantastic out here.
Does Subaru have reason to worry? You bet it does, especially since it decided to make the 2008 Impreza WRX Sedan appeal to a wider cross-section of buyers. The Lancer Ralliart now stands alone as the low-cost entry-level rally car.

For comparison, here's what they said about the subjective driving experience of the WRX:

The chassis setup is also noticeably softer [than the previous generation WRX] and there's no shortage of body roll.
On paper, it sounds as if the WRX really hasn't changed, but the WRX we loved for its finger-in-the-air attitude is gone, replaced by a WRX with its finger on the pulse of the mainstream market.
But where the old car was tossable, the new car is simply soft.
Despite a better slalom number, the softer chassis calibration compromises the WRX's once-healthy appetite for shredding back roads. As a driver's car, we found it less inspiring.
And there's understeer. Plenty of it.
We loved the old car's commanding bite while bending it into a corner and its willingness to adjust its line in the middle of the corner. Now we feel less like we're driving a rally car and more like we're driving a Camry.

So it looks to me that, out of the box, the WRX wins by objective measurements, the Ralliart wins on the subjective front.  Since I don’t race (either formally or informally), subjective performance is more important to me than objective performance.  Your mileage may vary.

WITH MILD MODIFICATIONS:

Here, I think the Ralliart would win.  It’s much easier, and probably cheaper as well, to put lighter wheels and better tires on a car than to get into suspension tuning (where less-than-expert matching of aftermarket components can improve one bit of handling while ruining everything else).

WITH SIGNIFICANT MODIFICATIONS:

Here, I think the WRX would win.  Twin-clutch automated manual transmissions generally aren’t made to handle much more horsepower than stock.  With the WRX’s transmission, though, the sky is the limit—and the engine has proven that more power can be added easily and reliably.  The same distinction is true when comparing electronic AWD systems (Mitsubishi) with mechanical (Subaru).

CONCLUSION:

You pay significant attention to objective performance figures.  Seems to me that you'd rather drive the car that IS faster than the one that FEELS sharper.  And when you modify cars, you go all-out (i.e., your Supra).  For you, the WRX would be the better choice, no doubt.

I don't give a rat's ass about objective performance figures, but excessive body roll and a "sedate" feel drives me up the wall, even if the car is quite fast objectively.  And when I modify cars, I tend to prefer little tweaks, and I balk and get nervous about doing more harm than good when I consider big jobs.  I'd be happy swapping out a car's wheels and tires, but replacing shocks and struts and roll bars is a bit much for me.  For me, the Ralliart would be the better choice.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 12:18:24 am »
The Ralliart still have a superior AWD system, 3 LSDs. The WRX only have one VC center diff now, think they dropped the rear LSD if I recall reading correctly.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 12:35:16 am »
"More technology" does not by default mean "better", imo.  Yes, the Mitsu AWD system is more technologically advanced, but that does not in and of itself make it a superior system to the Subaru version.  :/

There's something to be said of a "real" AWD system as opposed to a mess of computers and wiring like what Mitsubishi uses.

Mitlov, I think it depends on how you look at modifications.  I haven't researched the results people are getting with simply putting in new strut bars and the like, but those are relatively minor modifications, and in fact can come cheaper than tires and wheels.  I'm not sure it would be accurate to say the Ralliart responds better to minor modification.  :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:36 am »
"More technology" does not by default mean "better", imo.  Yes, the Mitsu AWD system is more technologically advanced, but that does not in and of itself make it a superior system to the Subaru version.  :/

There's something to be said of a "real" AWD system as opposed to a mess of computers and wiring like what Mitsubishi uses.

Mitlov, I think it depends on how you look at modifications.  I haven't researched the results people are getting with simply putting in new strut bars and the like, but those are relatively minor modifications, and in fact can come cheaper than tires and wheels.  I'm not sure it would be accurate to say the Ralliart responds better to minor modification.  :)

Do you know exactly what is in the Ralliart's AWD system?

hint:

Almost indentical to the EVO VII, VIII,  & IX.

Mitlov

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:38 am »

When I was looking into trying to modify my Legacy instead of ditching it, I did a lot of research into modding Subarus.  There is ZERO agreement as to what works.  A lot of people would tell you to do A; a bunch more would tell you that A will just ruin your ride quality, and that you get much better gains from doing B; a third camp tells you that you're insane if you don't do C.  And if you don't do the work yourself (which a lot of people, including myself, don't), the installation of suspension parts can be pretty expensive.

Whereas shopping for different tires is easy as pie.  Just go to Tire Rack and look at the reviews of whatever is in your size.  Cheap too.  Never dealt with custom wheels, but they're SOOOO common here (I swear, 25% of the vehicles in Medford seem to have custom wheels) that it can't be that expensive or hard.  Yeah, top-of-the-line BBS wheels cost an arm and a leg, but that's not what Edmunds seemed to be talking about.

Anyway, I might be dead wrong about what responds better to mods.  I'm not huge into modding anyway.  But I stand by my comment that, according to Edmunds, the Ralliart is subjectively sharper even if the WRX  is objectively faster, so I wouldn't call the WRX a better overall value.  They're equal, but different, IMO.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:38 am »
For most suspension mods (on-road) just doing springs is sufficient, and I'd bet anything the WRX would be night and day with a set of good springs.   I've done some of my cars with complete coil-overs, and others with just springs. For most road work, if not all, springs are all that's needed.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:19 am »
For most suspension mods (on-road) just doing springs is sufficient, and I'd bet anything the WRX would be night and day with a set of good springs.   I've done some of my cars with complete coil-overs, and others with just springs. For most road work, if not all, springs are all that's needed.

Personally, I would do more than springs. Springs alone can alter the steering feel, bot can't do much to reduce over/under steering. A good set swaybar(s) might be needed as well.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2008, 02:00:22 am »
Car&Driver has a first impression of the Art.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2009_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

... It trucks to 60 mph in a spirited 5.5 seconds, quicker by 0.3 than our last WRX wagon. ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2008, 02:04:32 am »
I agree with Mitlov, it's how it feels rather than the figures that makes a car.

Mitlov

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:31 am »

Personally, I would do more than springs. Springs alone can alter the steering feel, bot can't do much to reduce over/under steering. A good set swaybar(s) might be needed as well.

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point!  There's no consensus on the issue.  That makes surgery on a nearly-new car pretty nerve-racking if you don't have the money to start again if you don't like the results.

Swapping out (relatively) low rolling resistance tires for grippier tires is a walk in the park by comparison.

JVan

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2008, 03:54:51 am »
Damn car reviewers always making fun of the generation Ralliart that I own, without really realizing it wasn't designed to compete with the WRX, it was 10 thousand dollars cheaper.  So it really only has upgrades similar to the Nissan Sentra SER.  A lot reviews I read about the new Lancer Ralliart pretty much calls the old one a POS, well I agree that Mitsu should have done something like this before, but the price reflected that they didn't.

But I do think this new Ralliart is better looking than the WRX from the front. I don't really like the hood (even though its probably functional), and I don't like how they reused the GTS wheels which I don't really like that much.   

The WRX would be a better car to mod if you wanted higher HP, but most people who mod do just basic things.  People into serious performance would go for the STi or Evo.     
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:00:34 am by JVan »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:09 am »
I think the Ralliart would be a great car for those that would find insurance on the higher models a bit prohibitive, i.e. younger/newer drivers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 05:38:21 am »

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point!  There's no consensus on the issue.  That makes surgery on a nearly-new car pretty nerve-racking if you don't have the money to start again if you don't like the results.

Swapping out (relatively) low rolling resistance tires for grippier tires is a walk in the park by comparison.

For all but the most aggressive street drivers, I have found springs to be very good. Why is it nerve racking? You put springs on and if you need more, then you do sways.  You make it sound as though these simplest of bolt-ons are some huge undertaking.  These can be done in your garage.  Also, a set of springs will be cheaper to do than a set of good tires...Even if you pay someone to put them on it would still come in under $500...though I suppose you could get some good rubber for that.

Whatever floats your boat though.  I wouldn't buy either....though I do prefer the looks of the Mits over the Subie...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2008, 08:26:45 am »
Nerve racking is changing your oil-jet banjo bolts in your aluminum block in a confined space when the slightest little slip or over torquing will strip your block and ruin your engine.

OMG that was nerve racking!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2008, 11:05:42 am »
In the looks department, the only visible difference on the RalliArt is the vented hood compare to the regular line up. No aggressive fenders, kinda disappointed about that.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:22 am »

Whatever floats your boat though.  I wouldn't buy either....though I do prefer the looks of the Mits over the Subie...

Not even for Import Knights?

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
The WRX would be a better car to mod if you wanted higher HP, but most people who mod do just basic things.  People into serious performance would go for the STi or Evo.     

You'd be surprised.  There are plenty of modified WRXs making STi or better power.  Why?  The cars use the same block.  If you're going to start modifying the engine, the WRX gives you the same starting point for less money: it doesn't matter that the turbo is smaller, since you're replacing it anyway.  :)

The WRX is also cheaper to insure than the STi.  ;)  And you can modify it at your leisure, instead of putting down $50 000 or being locked into $50k worth of payments.

I'd love an STi, but from my POV, a modified WRX makes far more sense.  Biggest difficulty might be finding an AWD dyno.

JVan

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2008, 02:20:30 am »

You'd be surprised.  There are plenty of modified WRXs making STi or better power.  Why?  The cars use the same block.  If you're going to start modifying the engine, the WRX gives you the same starting point for less money: it doesn't matter that the turbo is smaller, since you're replacing it anyway.  :)

The WRX is also cheaper to insure than the STi.  ;)  And you can modify it at your leisure, instead of putting down $50 000 or being locked into $50k worth of payments.

I'd love an STi, but from my POV, a modified WRX makes far more sense.  Biggest difficulty might be finding an AWD dyno.

The same could be said about the Ralliart if they make it with a manual transmission.  Maybe a 5 speed from the Evo X would come after the initial launch along with the fugly hatch back.  If they just leave it with the SST the WRX will have this pretty big advantage.