Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41766 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2007, 05:17:07 pm »
Mitsu seems to be very aggresive in Canada and 2007 Outlander and 2008 Lancer pricing only confirms this. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2008 Lancer Ralliart AWD sold for under 30K in Canada.

Wolfe

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 08:16:44 pm »
Mitsu seems to be very aggresive in Canada and 2007 Outlander and 2008 Lancer pricing only confirms this. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2008 Lancer Ralliart AWD sold for under 30K in Canada.

Mitsubishi may be very aggressive but there's a big difference between trying hard and actually succeeding. I hope they do succeed here but the jury is still out on that. They've been selling cars in Canada for over 4 years and they're only now bringing a couple of promising new products in the Lancer and Outlander.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 09:54:22 pm »
How about the next-gen Eclipse and Galant?
Should we expect anything exciting?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 12:25:50 am »
In my opinion, before the 2007 Outlander and 2008 Lancer, Mitsu did not have much of the product to sell. I didn't even consider Mitsu as an option for my car purchase before. The 2007 Outlander changed the situation and now I'm a happy owner of a 2007 Outlander. This vehicle has almost everything I want in my compact SUV and all for a great price. 
I would definitely consider the 2008 Lancer for a compact sedan and more so a Ralliart version, not to mention the Evo.
If Mitsu could quickly come up with a nice Galant and Endeavor, they have a good chance to improve their position. The current offering is lame and the sales numbers show it.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 02:21:45 am »

The Eclipse was re-released in 2006 ... so I wouldn't expect a new model until 2010.  I'm saying re-released because they just changed the shell and the interior, everything else is virtually the same thing as the previous model.  The current Galant is a lost cause.  I'm not saying it's a bad car but when your going against the Mazda 6/Accord/Altima, you have to bring a better product than what they currently have.  I don't even see them on the road ... ok maybe once last year. 

"Mitsubishi's reported idea is to relaunch the Galant in 2009 as a smaller-body world car, with the U.S. plant making both right- and left-hand-drive models for the U.S. domestic market and export."
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Mitlov

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2007, 01:45:38 pm »
Mitsubishis are pretty common around here, but the vast vast majority I see are Mitsubishi's SUVs.  I see Eclipses occasionally.  I've only ever seen one Galant on the road.  They need to take that car back to the drawing board.

JVan

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2007, 02:50:19 pm »

The Eclipse was re-released in 2006 ... so I wouldn't expect a new model until 2010.  I'm saying re-released because they just changed the shell and the interior, everything else is virtually the same thing as the previous model.  The current Galant is a lost cause.  I'm not saying it's a bad car but when your going against the Mazda 6/Accord/Altima, you have to bring a better product than what they currently have.  I don't even see them on the road ... ok maybe once last year. 

"Mitsubishi's reported idea is to relaunch the Galant in 2009 as a smaller-body world car, with the U.S. plant making both right- and left-hand-drive models for the U.S. domestic market and export."

The newest eclipse is all new from the old one, the old one was built off the previous gen galant platform while the new one is built off the new Galant platform.

Mitlov

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 11:58:15 am »
Holy 14-month bump, Batman!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 01:48:51 pm »
The EVO's wing is functional.

JVan

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:23 pm »
The EVO's wing is functional.

wing, the wing is functional but the whole line has the wing....  i would suggest most people don't want wings.  (not you personally wing) my point is, the car looks great without it and they are probably killing a lot of sales because they put the wing on as standard.  the s4 and m3 don't really have a wing. am i the only person who thinks the wing spoils the look?  8) ::)

Here is the Lancer GTS spoiler which is also stock on the Evolution GSR,

Here is the Lancer Evolution spoiler, an option on the GSR and stock on the MR models.

The big spoiler isn't standard across the Lancer model line.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 05:20:23 pm »
Some people do like wings on the trunk. Personally, I don't mind the ones on the Lancer. Most of the time, the factory units are very subtle, unlike some bad after market ones.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 06:18:06 pm »
  i would suggest most people don't want wings.  (not you personally wing) my point is, the car looks great without it and they are probably killing a lot of sales because they put the wing on as standard.  the s4 and m3 don't really have a wing. am i the only person who thinks the wing spoils the look?  8) ::)

It was noted on a few Mitsu forums last year that the mid level Lancer last year (the ES trim level) which didn't have the wing was being retrofited with the GTS bodykits by September in America by Mitsubishi themselves as they had GTS's selling as fast as they could make them and ES's were not moving until they added the body kit. I can't offer any proof this was accurate but I see that Mitsu now has spoilers on every trim level above the DE (base level) this year makes me believe this to be true.

The dropping of a wing free trim level, apparently due to lower then expected trim levels, seems to show that Most people do want the wing. In any event if you do want a wing free lancer the DE trim level is still available
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:40 pm »

Kevlar I do agree that the GTS had some nice features over the ES last year (the fast key was what convinced me to go for my GTS ) but it didn't have a bigger engine. the 2.4l engine became available this year.

I actually do prefer the wing on the GTS but I know some people would prefer to not have the wing. It was apparently a much easier to sell the ES when they added the wing even after they jacked the price a thousand bucks

It does puzzle me that Mitsu doesn't offer the option to delete the wing for those that dislike it, but i guess they don't think it's worth the effort for the sales they expect to get. I also don't understand why they continue to charge such a premium over the US market both on the cars and their accessories. To be honest, while I have wondered, after pricing what the navigation kit costs both here and in the states, how stupid can they be, the wing seems, if the mitsu forums were right about bodykits selling ES's , to be one of the more logical things they've done

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:36 am »
Mitsubishi may be very aggressive but there's a big difference between trying hard and actually succeeding. I hope they do succeed here but the jury is still out on that. They've been selling cars in Canada for over 4 years and they're only now bringing a couple of promising new products in the Lancer and Outlander.

Hyundai went far longer than four years before selling anything good in North America.  Some people would probably say they didn't offer anything particularly groundbreaking until the recently redesigned Sonata...  year 2000 was a big shift for Hyundai after more than a decade of selling cars here, at any rate.  Give Mitsu some slack.  :)

As for the Lancer: I adore the looks, spoiler included.  The DE trim, sans spoiler, is boring to look at from the back.  The rest of the car is gorgeous, though, and I love the aggressive front end.  :)

I had the opportunity to drive one recently, and while I don't have much to compare to since I've not driven the Civic, Corolla, or Mazda3, I came away impressed.  It's a fun car to drive, and seems like it would satisfy those wishing for a more engaged drive than the Corolla (for example).  I can't say I would buy one without having tested the competition, but I certainly can say I wouldn't rule out a Lancer.  The warranty is very attractive, too.  :)

I'm eagerly anticipating the Ralliart version.  According to the salesman I talked to, it's due "next month", and will be priced between $32 000 and $38 000 depending on options.  Apparently Nav will be offered on the Ralliart, too, which struck me as odd, since IIRC it's only available on the top-line EVO right now...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 01:35:03 am »
Here's a review of the Ralliart.  They don't sound impressed..at least that's my perspective...

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=127586/pageNumber=1
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 01:54:42 am »
Still the Rallyart has potential, nothing good aftermarket parts & tuning won't fix. Mitsu's target to make it more appealing to a wider range of buyers.

Mitlov

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 01:57:35 am »
They didn't like it, but most of the complaints boiled down to the tires.  Still, it's easier to put new wheels and tires on a Ralliart than firming up the suspension on a WRX, no?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:09 am »
^^^^Is the suspension that bad really though?  Edmunds tested the WRX and it got the same on the skidpad .81, but bested the Ralliart in the slalom. Better braking number, quicker to 60, through the quarter.  It just seems the WRX is the better package.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 02:04:47 pm »
And the WRX is responding very, very well to modification...  I'm sure the Ralliart will as well, but with less technology in the way and a bigger engine as a base, it strikes me that one could make the WRX as fast as an STI for less cash than it would cost to make the Ralliart as fast as an EVO.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 04:50:53 pm »
^^Absolutely.  Though Vishnu's $1000 ECU flash has put up huge numbers on the EVO X...