Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41786 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2007, 09:07:47 pm »
Ah, I finally figured out what the Lancer engine sounds like.

Think lawnmower. Or weed whacker. Some kind of landscaping tool.

It's funny you say that, because I've always thought that the VW/Audi 2.0T sounded like a lawnmower, and all sorts of people praise that engine's sound...

I always used a corded weed whacker. Much of the annoyance came from the actual whacking part. The electric motor itself wasn't so bad.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 09:49:37 pm »
May be we should all go and get the keys and have a listen. And then have a pub verdict Top gear style  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

mp3butt

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 10:29:28 pm »
Perhaps I should go take a spin and report back regarding how the engine sounds at idle with open hood.

I don't mind engine noise at all. It gives me some sort of feedback about the throttle. It is only nice when the engine has a nice sound and the car does a good job in insulating noise from the outside. My BMW does give an unique blend of BMW inline 6 sound. My wife just loves it. The 1.8T of my departed Jetta sounds coarse and stretched once it passed 4500 rpm. The turbo whining is nice at mid rpm, however.

The 4 hanger of my mom's Protege is moderately loud, and the rather limited sound deafening measured does't help neither. At least it sounds willing and tells me it's okay to rev past 6000 rpm :)

Mitlov

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 12:42:30 am »
I've never listed to my engine with the hood open.  I should try it.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 09:19:42 am »
Ok, I listened to the engine while I was adding washer fluid.

It all sounded enginey to me.  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 10:46:41 am »
IT smells like ASSS :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 11:10:31 am »
I tried to listen once and it sounded soo scaaary  :o
Its like some evil spirit inside drops weights (constantly) on a parquet floor. And the more u push pedals, the more stuff and from bigger hights it throws.
I will never do it again  :-[

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 09:37:04 pm »
Just got back from the Mitsu dealership.  I must say I was quite impressed with the lancer.  The only thing I didn't like was the knobs on the AC.  Felt a bit cheap.  Other than that the car looks amazing in person.  It comes with so much stuff for the price.  Even the key fob looks and fell expensive.  I think Mitsu has a winner.  I hope they do well.

I spoke to the salesperson and they said the evo will come out next year but there also will be a ralliart version with less horse power but AWD.  Should compete against the WRX. Should be good.

Mitlov

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 09:38:22 pm »
I spoke to the salesperson and they said the evo will come out next year but there also will be a ralliart version with less horse power but AWD.  Should compete against the WRX. Should be good.

I keep hearing this rumor.  I would looooooove to see some official confirmation, or even better, pictures.  It sounds like it could be a fantastic car.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 12:26:42 pm »
I sat in a GTS yesterday while in the dealership. The interior quality is not ground braking, but it's at par for the class IMO. It felt sportier. Still under Mazda3 for overall interior quality if you ask me.
I noticed that there is no insulation on the inside part of the hood. This could contribute to the relative high engine noise you hear in the cabin when driving. This was something I noticed and didn't like when I drove one back in March.

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 01:25:30 pm »
Interesting - thanks. I've often noticed that there can be a VAST difference between the "on paper" car and the "in the metal" car. That's why I try not to ooh and aah at (or dismiss) a car until I've both see it close up and at least ridden in it.

I agree.  When I was shopping for a car in 2004, the Chevrolet Optra seemed like the right choice on paper.  Four wheel independent suspension with 4 wheel disc brakes standard, decent styling and good looking interior, all for less than the then antiquated Cavalier (which was on the same dealership).  One drive later and it was clear that regardless of how great a bargain it seemed on paper, this was NOT a car I wanted.  We have a 2003 Corolla in the family, which I used as the benchmark, the Optra fell far shy of the benchmark....well behind even its Korean stablemates, the Elantra and Spectra.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 01:56:43 pm »
Just got back from the Mitsu dealership.  I must say I was quite impressed with the lancer.  The only thing I didn't like was the knobs on the AC.  Felt a bit cheap.  Other than that the car looks amazing in person.  It comes with so much stuff for the price.  Even the key fob looks and fell expensive.  I think Mitsu has a winner.  I hope they do well.

Show me everything you got!
If the price is attractive, it might force Suabru to lower the WRX/STi pricing.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 03:45:23 pm »
I also spoke to a Mitsu salesman here in Edmonton and he said that the 220hp AWD Ralliart version would be available at the end of 2007 with a target price under $30 G. I hope this is true and that Subaru Canada lowers it's WRX price accordingly....

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 03:59:44 pm »
I also spoke to a Mitsu salesman here in Edmonton and he said that the 220hp AWD Ralliart version would be available at the end of 2007 with a target price under $30 G. I hope this is true and that Subaru Canada lowers it's WRX price accordingly....

I hope so too!  Not that I want to buy a Mitsu ... I want a cheaper Subie.  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 04:28:59 pm »
If I had a dime for every “a guy at the dealer told me” post…. I have yet to read a “CREDIBLE” report of the Mitsu AWD Ralliart pictures, details or launch date. It would be very difficult for Mitsu to MSRP an under $30k CDN AWD car.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 04:39:35 pm »
If I had a dime for every “a guy at the dealer told me” post…. I have yet to read a “CREDIBLE” report of the Mitsu AWD Ralliart pictures, details or launch date. It would be very difficult for Mitsu to MSRP an under $30k CDN AWD car.

I understand your skepticism Snowy but with the non AWD Lancer topping out at under $23,000 CDN, I don't see how they could not get at least a base AWD at just under $30,000.  Even just over $30 K (e.g. $30,495) would be considered a bargain.

$7,000 is a lot of room with which to play.  They managed it with the Outlander so why not the Lancer?  It also has been noted with other brands the insane jumps in price from the base versions to the more exciting versions of a given vehicle.  VW and Subaru come to mind, for example.  ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 04:45:03 pm »

I understand your skepticism Snowy but with the non AWD Lancer topping out at under $23,000 CDN, I don't see how they could not get at least a base AWD at just under $30,000.  Even just over $30 K (e.g. $30,495) would be considered a bargain.

$7,000 is a lot of room with which to play.  They managed it with the Outlander so why not the Lancer?  It also has been noted with other brands the insane jumps in price from the base versions to the more exciting versions of a given vehicle.  VW and Subaru come to mind, for example.  ;)

Perhaps you are right with the $30k pricing. I don’t think quality and reliability will be similar to Subaru.

dorin

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 04:48:11 pm »
SoC could easily sell the WRX for $30k here if they wanted to.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:08 pm »
SoC could easily sell the WRX for $30k here if they wanted to.

$30k would be an exchange rate difference only. SoA has a much larger network and sales compared to SoC. I would be comfortable paying $32k for a WRX in Canada, not $36k.

Mitlov

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 05:01:41 pm »
Subaru of Canada charges what the market will bear.  If Canadians weren't willing to pay out their nose for AWD cars, maybe SoC's pricing would be in line with Honda of Canada and Toyota of Canada's pricing, just as SoA's pricing is in line with Honda USA and Toyota USA pricing.

More AWD Mitsubishis and Fords will help break up Subaru's relative monopoly in that area, and hopefully, in time, will drive SoC prices down.  Until Canadians quit paying those high prices for Subarus, though, don't expect prices to drop one dollar.