Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41784 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 09:00:50 pm »
The Lancer will old news in 10 days 15 hours.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 09:03:54 pm »
Weird, I never thought the rear seats had side airbags. Oh well, +2 points for the Lancer.

Up in the headliner. Should add that the CVT seemed to work very well, much nicer than the Caliber, more like the one in the Versa. While the base one seemed to handle quite well, as you go up the trim lines they add a second stabilizer bar to the ES and thicken both for the GTS as well as doing some tuning to the springs.

The car is well worth a test drive if you are in the market.

Toofast4U

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 06:01:34 pm »
Some Canadians r ignorant as they should know that Mitsubishi has been selling their products for 25 years in USA, while it has come to Canada only 4 years ago. Mitsubishi will steadily develop its market in Canada.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »
Some Canadians r ignorant as they should know that Mitsubishi has been selling their products for 25 years in USA, while it has come to Canada only 4 years ago. Mitsubishi will steadily develop its market in Canada.

??? Where did anyone say anything contradictory to that?

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 09:22:58 pm »

Mitsu closed their Erin Mills (West Mississauga) dealership a couple years ago.  Where exactly does that fit in their plan for steady growth?

Or r u listening?

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »
while it has come to Canada only 4 years ago. Mitsubishi will steadily develop its market in Canada.

what does that have to do with the fact that the Lancer is here now? It will take years for them to develop into a Mazda etc..

Or r u listening?

:laugh:

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:24 pm »
??? Where did anyone say anything contradictory to that?

I think it was in response to my post which said:

We've seen pictures, and I think it's a good-looking car, but looks are subjective.  Test-drives I've read suggest that handling is solid but not as agile as a Mazda3 or Civic, engine output is good but nothing special, interior quality is better than before but nothing special, and that the CVT is unpleasant.  While this may make the Lancer a more serious contender than before, I doubt Honda/Toyota/Mazda executives are quaking in their boots.

Also, these improvements do not in any way address Mitsubishi Canada's abysmal dealer network.

Which in turn was a response to:

Its styling, features and ride has improved which should definately attract more buyers.

But I'm not sure what point Toofast4U is trying to make.  First off, I'm not ignorant of the fact that Mitsubishi is not new to the United States, as I'm the board's resident irritating yankee.  Second, that fact that Mitsubishi might try to expand its Canadian dealer networks over the next couple decades does not change the fact that they'll still have a crummy network [when the new Lancer hits showrooms, and for the next couple years.  That's really going to hurt Canadian sales.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:29 pm »
Major sales will depend on the mainstream models, but just show me the RalliArt!  :)
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 03:28:17 am »
LONG POST WARNING

My girlfriend test drove a Lancer DE (or whatever the midrange one is) today, with the CVT. During her preliminary research (most of it guided by me) for the perfect compact funmobile, she had cemented in the idea that the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer was the "best" car for her. Civic? "I already owned one." Corolla? "Every Asian has one." Rabbit? "2.5 Litre engine? That's too big! I want to save gas. Plus I hate hatchbacks." [Wow, she really hates that VW Rabbit!] Elantra? "I don't want a Korean car."

I dare not mention domestics.

But Lancer? "It looks so cool!"

So today, I drove her to a Mitsu dealership to test drive one. We were greeted by a quite young salesman whom immediately offered us a test drive. He even sat in the back seat during the drive. A good start, I thought, even though we had zero intentions of buying that day.

The exterior looks good, if a little quirky. Interior was put together well enough, even though the materials were somewhat low rent. As everyone knows, the on-paper feature content is quite solid, and the warranty is the best in the business as far as I know.

But a major problem manifested itself even before we got out of the lot: this car is loud.

My hearing has been on edge for the last month, listening to every minute sound in the TSX as if it could be an annoying rattle or a nascent mechanical issue, but no discerning ear was needed to know that something wasn't quite right with this engine. It was just plain loud. And not in a good "give'r some gas!" way.

If I were to compare it to the TSX, it would be like the difference between listening to a professional strings orchestra play the Bradenburg Concertos and listening to a bunch of middle school kids play the Bradenburg Concertos. With saxophones and tubas. And a large number of cymbalists. Rest assured, this engine will make people wonder if your brand new car needs a tuneup.

The salesman assured me that there was nothing wrong. Perhaps it was just not broken in yet, I thought hopefully. Or maybe it just needs to warm up. Regardless, we went about the test drive.

Horrendous sounds permeated the cabin. It was as if it came from all around us, and they were just as menacing as from outside the car. Obviously, someone skimped on the sound insulation. From a passenger perspective, acceleration was decent (as it should be, with 156hp in this size of car). It was hard to tell though, because all I could hear was the coarse, raspy growl of the engine. Misery. Not something one would want to live with anywhere above 2000 RPM (inside) or at any RPM (outside)

Upon returning to the lot I asked if we could start up the other Lancer they had and listen to that engine. Same sound. Same horrible, brutal sound. Not a fluke!

After leaving the Mitsu dealer, she agreed to go to a VW dealership posthaste for a Rabbit test drive, but unfortunately they were closed.

Regardless, the Lancer has gone from first to worst in her eyes. Personally, I just cringe every time I think about it.

---

I hereby retract all of my previous positive comments about the Lancer.

You have been warned.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:36:39 am by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

avtoller

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 10:39:01 am »
Interesting - thanks. I've often noticed that there can be a VAST difference between the "on paper" car and the "in the metal" car. That's why I try not to ooh and aah at (or dismiss) a car until I've both see it close up and at least ridden in it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 12:00:33 pm »
Interesting - thanks. I've often noticed that there can be a VAST difference between the "on paper" car and the "in the metal" car. That's why I try not to ooh and aah at (or dismiss) a car until I've both see it close up and at least ridden in it.

:iagree:

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 03:29:09 pm »
If I were to compare it to the TSX, it would be like the difference between listening to a professional strings orchestra play the Bradenburg Concertos and listening to a bunch of middle school kids play the Bradenburg Concertos. With saxophones and tubas. And a large number of cymbalists. Rest assured, this engine will make people wonder if your brand new car needs a tuneup.

It's a compact made by Mitsubishi ... I don't know what you were expecting exactly?  Maybe it's the "behavior" of the CVT transmission that suprised you and I wouldn't compare it with a TSX.  :)
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Mitlov

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 04:03:04 pm »
Why are we repeatedly comparing the Lancer to the TSX?  You're tearing apart an econobox for failing to have the sound deadening of a near-luxury car that costs TWICE as much.  One may as well say "the rear seat wasn't as nice as a Lexus LS."  Of course it isn't.

Can you compare sound deadening to the Lancer's competitors, such as the Mazda3, Civic, and Sentra?  Furthermore, did you have any impressions besides the sound deadening issue?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:05:43 pm by Mitlov »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:51 pm »
Why are we repeatedly comparing the Lancer to the TSX?  You're tearing apart an econobox for failing to have the sound deadening of a near-luxury car that costs TWICE as much.  One may as well say "the rear seat wasn't as nice as a Lexus LS."  Of course it isn't.

Can you compare sound deadening to the Lancer's competitors, such as the Mazda3, Civic, and Sentra?  Furthermore, did you have any impressions besides the sound deadening issue?

Yes, perhaps its an unfair comparison, but I'm not just talking about sound deadening here.

I was referring to the sound from the outside of the car with the hood popped. Its really something when my girlfriend, who hardly knows much about cars, starts one up and immediately says "wow, thats loud." She certainly didn't say that about the Maz3 or the Sentra that she also test drove. And I didn't notice any undue sounds. The Sentra in particular was quite muted, but of course had a bit of a drone. None of them were anywhere near as loud as the Lancer.

Even my departed Grand Am was much better than this. It wasn't quiet, but much smoother and better sounding.

As far as the rest of the car goes, seat room I found to be quite good both front and back. Headroom I can't judge as I'm only 5-9. Seating comfort overall was good, the cloth isn't the greatest but it looks respectable and the side bolsters are decent, as was forward visibility (huge side mirrors too). Rear visibility was a little crummy from the slanty window, triple rear headrests, and spoiler on the GTS.

GTS handling felt like it was miles ahead of the lesser trims, and body roll was well controlled. But of course I wasn't driving.

It's a compact made by Mitsubishi ... I don't know what you were expecting exactly?  Maybe it's the "behavior" of the CVT transmission that suprised you and I wouldn't compare it with a TSX.  :)

The other Lancer we started up to listen to was a manual, and it was a bit different, but just as annoying. I've driven a CVT Sentra and Altima and they were both blessed with relative silence.

Trust me, this thing is loud on an absolute scale...I'm just comparing it to the TSX because thats what I drive and what I know the most. I don't expect it to compete in sound deadening, but even in comparison to my Grand Am, this new Lancer is miserable. Start one up and you will see (hear?).

EDIT: I would also like to make the distinction between good loud and bad loud. The Lancer is a bad kind of loud.

Mitlov

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 06:24:27 pm »
Yes, perhaps its an unfair comparison, but I'm not just talking about sound deadening here.

I was referring to the sound from the outside of the car with the hood popped. Its really something when my girlfriend, who hardly knows much about cars, starts one up and immediately says "wow, thats loud." She certainly didn't say that about the Maz3 or the Sentra that she also test drove. And I didn't notice any undue sounds. The Sentra in particular was quite muted, but of course had a bit of a drone. None of them were anywhere near as loud as the Lancer.

As far as the rest of the car goes, seat room I found to be quite good both front and back. Headroom I can't judge as I'm only 5-9. Seating comfort overall was good, the cloth isn't the greatest but it looks respectable and the side bolsters are decent, as was forward visibility (huge side mirrors too). Rear visibility was a little crummy from the slanty window, triple rear headrests, and spoiler on the GTS.

GTS handling felt like it was miles ahead of the lesser trims, and body roll was well controlled. But of course I wasn't driving.

See, now that's a useful comparison against its actual competitors.  Thank you!  Though I'd be interested to hear how the Lancer's handling compared to the Sentra or Mazda3, instead of just comparing handling for different trims of Lancers.  Of course, you probably can't do that too effectively since you were in the passenger seat, but any insight you have would be appreciated.

EDIT: I would also like to make the distinction between good loud and bad loud. The Lancer is a bad kind of loud.

I'd be interested to hear it for myself.  Not everybody agrees on what engine noises are good and what are bad.  Mazda's rotaries and Subaru's boxers spring to mind as engine where some people love the sound and others absolutely hate it.  I also recently remember a discussion about Ford (Chevy?) V8s, where some people here loved their sound and others hated them.  Personally, I like engines you can hear (such as in my Legacy, which seems to have no sound deadening whatsoever around the engine compared to cars like the Accord and G6).  As to whether the Lancer's engine is a pleasant-sounding engine, that's in the ear of the beholder, and I'd have to hear it for myself.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 08:00:19 pm »
Now I am curious too. I test drove a Lancer sportback a while ago and found it noisy but it was a pleasant rumble. A perfect growl in my opinion belongs to z350 and I wonder how close the new Lancer got to it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 08:03:41 pm »
Now I am curious too. I test drove a Lancer sportback a while ago and found it noisy but it was a pleasant rumble. A perfect growl in my opinion belongs to z350 and I wonder how close the new Lancer got to it.

I kind of like engine sound. The last thing I'd want is a car thats completely sound proof. As long as its a big engine sound. Don't care if the engine itself is big, I just like the sound.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 08:06:21 pm »
Ah, I finally figured out what the Lancer engine sounds like.

Think lawnmower. Or weed whacker. Some kind of landscaping tool.

Mitlov

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 08:07:51 pm »
Ah, I finally figured out what the Lancer engine sounds like.

Think lawnmower. Or weed whacker. Some kind of landscaping tool.

It's funny you say that, because I've always thought that the VW/Audi 2.0T sounded like a lawnmower, and all sorts of people praise that engine's sound...