Author Topic: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan  (Read 41767 times)

Toofast4U

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:13:01 pm »
Hi guyz! Compare the new Lancer with any compact car and it will be better than anyone of them. Its styling, features and ride has improved which should definately attract more buyers. I am waiting 2 see it on the road soon.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Re: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Best Compact Sedan
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:35:06 pm »
I don't think it will be very successful just because of the fact that Mitsubishi is such a small portion of the Canadian Auto market. Its just not a car brand that many people consider when looking for a car. I can only recall seeing 1 Lancer on the road ever even though we have a dealership in town.

Toofast4U

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:45:08 pm »
Yo! I am only talkin' about the new Lancer. U wil soon see how it is sold in the market.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:50:17 pm »
Yo! I am only talkin' about the new Lancer.

So was I.

U wil soon see how it is sold in the market.

yes eye wil soon sea
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:17:03 pm by RunsinLight »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 07:22:12 pm »
Mitsu marketing needs to work overtime on this one or they'll lose a ripe opportunity.

On paper its a *lot* of car for the money.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 07:26:22 pm »
Mitsu marketing needs to work overtime on this one or they'll lose a ripe opportunity.

On paper its a *lot* of car for the money.

Exactly, the car itself is only half of what makes a car successful. Seeing a car at car show and going ooo and ahh doesn't necessarily = success.

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 07:42:57 pm »
 :iagree: plus those ooohs and aahs often soon turn to groans when one tries to live with the car in the real world. I have driven too many cars over the years that were WONDERFUL on paper, but dogs to drive daily.

ghost

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:25:46 pm »
i saw a white one a few weekends ago at what looks to be a Mitsu dealership which I always thought was some sort of third rate indie dealer where the sell chopped cars.  :)
It looks good.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 11:30:14 pm »
Hi guyz! Compare the new Lancer with any compact car and it will be better than anyone of them. Its styling, features and ride has improved which should definately attract more buyers. I am waiting 2 see it on the road soon.

Yo! I am only talkin' about the new Lancer. U wil soon see how it is sold in the market.

That's great.  How many more years before you're old enough to drive?

Phillyc

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:19:14 am »
Let's make a bet: I say Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda 3 will all outsell the Mitsu Lancer, now and forever. (in Canada)

Even the Hyundai Elantra will probably beat it in sales.   :P

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 04:37:01 am »
 :iagree: ... Mitsubishi is not even gonna make a dent in the other Japanese manufacturers figures.  The Civics and the 3s are everywhere.  The Corolla has been around since spring 2002 (2003 MY) and it still has decent sales.

Even if the Lancer is a fantastic car, Mitsubishi is flawed in many ways (in Canada) and they won't replicate Hyundai's success (5+ years in the making) with a decent Lancer and an "ok" Outlander.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:44:25 am by G0dspd »
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:59:54 am »
We will certainly see increase in sales in the Mitsu brand.
But will it even surpass Mazda/Nissan in marke share (5%)?
I really doubt that.

Mitsu's current market share is (1%) on par with Subaru.
Let's see if they can beat VW (2.5%) first!  ;D
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 06:38:45 pm »
 ??? What is this observation based on?

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 06:42:52 pm »

:iagree:

We've seen pictures, and I think it's a good-looking car, but looks are subjective.  Test-drives I've read suggest that handling is solid but not as agile as a Mazda3 or Civic, engine output is good but nothing special, interior quality is better than before but nothing special, and that the CVT is unpleasant.  While this may make the Lancer a more serious contender than before, I doubt Honda/Toyota/Mazda executives are quaking in their boots.

Also, these improvements do not in any way address Mitsubishi Canada's abysmal dealer network.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:54:12 pm »

:iagree:

We've seen pictures, and I think it's a good-looking car, but looks are subjective.  Test-drives I've read suggest that handling is solid but not as agile as a Mazda3 or Civic, engine output is good but nothing special, interior quality is better than before but nothing special, and that the CVT is unpleasant.  While this may make the Lancer a more serious contender than before, I doubt Honda/Toyota/Mazda executives are quaking in their boots.

Also, these improvements do not in any way address Mitsubishi Canada's abysmal dealer network.

Granted but considering the level of features on the ES and GTS trim levels and the pricing on those levels, there is considerably more value there than in a Civic/Corolla/Maz3. Plus, 5 year comprehensive warranty.

$21700 for a 156hp car with Bluetooth, Push button start, 7 airbags, 18" rims, etc? Impressive.

citydude

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:24:55 pm »
Every consumer have different needs, there is no one car that will be perfect for everyone.  You're just asking for trouble when you start a topic that says "Best".

avtoller

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
Granted but considering the level of features on the ES and GTS trim levels and the pricing on those levels, there is considerably more value there than in a Civic/Corolla/Maz3. Plus, 5 year comprehensive warranty.

$21700 for a 156hp car with Bluetooth, Push button start, 7 airbags, 18" rims, etc? Impressive.

For me, the value is having a solid, reliable, good handling car, not "features" such as push button start and Bluetooth!!! Those are toys of little value (at least to me), and are prone to costly repairs down the road. Add to this the fact that resale value is likely to be VERY low, and I have to strenuously  disagree with your conclusion.

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 08:04:27 pm »
Push button start

Out of curiosity, what is the value of push-button start?  It always seemed to me like it would be more cumbersome than inserting a key and turning it, which can be done in one motion.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:57 pm »
Feature-wise Mitsubishi is a half jump or more ahead of it's competitors right now, but redesigns are coming fast. Gotta like progress, cars are just getting better for the same money as everyone keeps the pressure on.

Oh and nine airbags, not seven. Dunno how much of a gain push button ignition is by itself but with the FAST system the key/fob is always stays in your pocket, automatically unlocking the car door and activating the ignition remotely. Suzuki uses something similar on the top line SX4.

No more fiddling with keys or key fobs, no possibility of locking the keys in the car.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 08:48:38 pm »

For me, the value is having a solid, reliable, good handling car, not "features" such as push button start and Bluetooth!!! Those are toys of little value (at least to me), and are prone to costly repairs down the road. Add to this the fact that resale value is likely to be VERY low, and I have to strenuously  disagree with your conclusion.

But is there any real evidence that the Lancer or Mitsu cars in general are unreliable or not solid? Or that the Lancer doesn't handle well? Besides, 5 year warranty should count for something.

Push button start

Out of curiosity, what is the value of push-button start?  It always seemed to me like it would be more cumbersome than inserting a key and turning it, which can be done in one motion.

Some people like this stuff :P
I'm not saying its really worth anything, but I'm sure we can all agree that people's tastes are different and car buying is a very emotional thing, so random gizmos really might just do it for some people.

Oh and nine airbags, not seven.

Weird, I never thought the rear seats had side airbags. Oh well, +2 points for the Lancer.