Author Topic: car insurance  (Read 26832 times)

vblanche

car insurance
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:46:17 pm »
Hi,

basically, which car insurance company should I avoid? which one should I go for?

thanks for help.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: car insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:56:52 pm »
Call around and check for your best deal.  If you are in a union, you may get a group rate, you may also get get one if you are an alumnus of certain universities and colleges.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:59:40 pm »
My suggestion is to find a broker who you like and let them do the searching for you. Putting your household policy on the same insurance slip as your vehicle can save you some serious money in the long run as well. One particular Ins. Co I perwsonally do not like is Wawanesa as they cheated me badly one time when I was their client and I was rearended. The Manager was in kahoots with the other Co. and didn't want to help me at all. I dropped charges against this Co. with the Inspector of Insurance for Ontario and Won the case but will never recommend them to anyone ever.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:10:09 pm »
Hi,

basically, which car insurance company should I avoid? which one should I go for?

thanks for help.

How old are you and how long have you had a full G?

vblanche

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:57:17 am »
I'm 36, and got it from aug 2006 after an exchange with my french one (that I have since 1990).

vblanche

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:41 am »
What about Belairdirect?

echo7

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:40:23 am »
the personal...?

vblanche

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:32:56 am »
I don't understand your question?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:37:22 am »
The Personal is an insurance company.  I am insured with them.  From what I understand, however, you, as a recent arrival in Canada, would probably not get favourable rates from them. They prefer that their customers have 5 years or more Canadian (=WINTER) driving experince.

dorin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:32 am »
I used to have my insurance with The Personal but I switched to President's Choice Insurance last year when The Personal jacked up my rates by 20% for no apparent reason.  President's Choice is a couple of hundred dollars a year cheaper than The Personal.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 01:08:11 pm »
What about Belairdirect?

Yes, I think that company is by far your best bet in your situation.  The Pembridge Insurance Company is pretty well the same as far as their favourable treatment of "new" drivers.  They are broker based which I think is easier.  Go to their website and find a broker near you.

echo7

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 01:14:41 pm »
i've been with personal for quite a while now,, last year I shopped for insurance,, hoping that I can find someone cheaper,,I tried PC and Belairdirect and both gave me higher rates than what i am currenlty paying.... I guess i will try again this year...

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 05:41:55 pm »
I was a new immigrant in 2005 Sep with 0 driving record..go wth TD.. my insurance came down by more than 150$/month in a year

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:25 pm »
Pembridge is Allstate with brokers rather than being a direct writer
The Personal mainly does groups
CAA is not the cheapest but in my experience is really good on claims service

Have you tried Kanetix for different prices?

You might try ING and AXA as they are european companies and it is not impossible that they will allow for your frech experience... unlikely.  AXA now own Allianz or The Citadel ( cant remember which)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:55 pm »
The Personal mainly does groups
CAA is not the cheapest but in my experience is really good on claims service

Have you tried Kanetix for different prices?

You might try ING and AXA as they are european companies and it is not impossible that they will allow for your frech experience... unlikely.  AXA now own Allianz or The Citadel ( cant remember which)

That is very interesting and bizarre.

I finally got my son off my policy  :) and into his own.  :rofl:

Belair Direct was $3550, provided that everything is done online, but the fools need a minimum of 15 days to write a policy.  ::)

Pembridge was $3705 and done in 24 hours

Allstate was $6900. the highest.  Assumed right off they don't want the younger market.

TD was $5700 and admitted that they don't cater to young drivers.  They said call us in a few years and we told the call center guy to go politely F himself.  ::)

Pilot, my company was $4300.

CORRECTION, Pilot was $4700 and change. 

Wawanesa was $4300.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:31:03 pm by articsteve »

vblanche

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 08:26:41 pm »
hi,

nice information...thanks

jbbadboy

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
Pembridge indeed is owned by Allstate and deals with brokers only, whereas Allstate does not.

Further, Belair Direct is owned by ING Insurance and Chieftain is owned by Dominion of Canada. The Aviva group of companies includes Pilot, Scottish & York and Traders and the Economical Insurance group includes Economical, Perth and Waterloo Insurance.

Direct writers (insurance companies who do not deal with brokers) are only one company. What you see is what you get.

Brokers are insurance professionals who have any number of companies they can place insurance coverage with. They are valuable for insurance advice and have the ability to "shop the market" with those carriers available to them at renewal time.

For example, if you are involved in an accident or are charged with a traffic offence a broker can explain the effects of this on your policy and provide a recommendation on how to proceed before involving your insurance company. Calling a direct writing company with this information almost guarantees the accident/ticket is put on your file and can negatively affect your rating and premiums.

If you're only looking at the bottom line then shop both direct writers and brokers until you're satisfied. If you value having an insurance advisor and more options available to you then go with a broker.

Good luck!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:28 pm »
For example, if you are involved in an accident or are charged with a traffic offence a broker can explain the effects of this on your policy and provide a recommendation on how to proceed before involving your insurance company. Calling a direct writing company with this information almost guarantees the accident/ticket is put on your file and can negatively affect your rating and premiums.

Actually that has recently changed.  My broker warned me not to call and discuss the "what ifs"/options of an accident with her because some new regulation came in compelling her to report absolutely anything to the company(s).

Ontario is the rock bottom of insurance jurisdictions.

jbbadboy

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 09:32:04 pm »
Actually that has recently changed.  My broker warned me not to call and discuss the "what ifs"/options of an accident with her because some new regulation came in compelling her to report absolutely anything to the company(s).

Wow! That must be an brokerage internal thing because I am a broker and one of the most commonly asked questions a client has is how an accident/ticket will affect their insurance. I actually encourage clients to call me with any question they have, no matter how small it may be, and to go through our office for everything, including reporting claims and sending payment, whenever possible.

I feel this is the true value of having a broker.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:35:03 pm by jbbadboy »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 10:31:12 pm »
You obviously don't represent the Pilot.

Here is a reason for the mandatory disclosure.  Say you rear end somebody, but little damage.  The ppl you hit are reasonable and agree not to report it and take your word for it that you will pay and you do. 

Here is the problem from the Insurance company's POV.  These same ppl may in 3 months come down with an illness that they have "deemed" might have been a result of that rear ender.  However, legally, the insurance company is still on the hook for the liability due to personal injury.  Their position is that they want to know about any potential loss immediately, regardless if the insured is paying out of pocket because it still represents a potential loss to them.

Brokers have their place, but charge 10-20% for their services.  Usually 15%.  Worth it for some, not for others.