Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS  (Read 48509 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:38 pm »
I have no interest in this segment, but have to say that the Santa Fe is the nicest looking Hyundai to date.

Well done!!

CptCanuck

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:26:09 pm »
James, I concur with your feelings about the steering, which has been my only negative with this great vehicle.  I was used to my Olds Intrigue with it's variable steering so I find the steering feedback a little lacking.  So it's not really a negative as much as a difference that I'm quickly getting used to. At first I also questioned the padding on the seats as well, but after 4 months and a lot of highway driving it's feeling more comfortable than the Olds with it's more heavily padded seats.  I've gotta say that the higher seating is definitely appealing to me while it still isn't uncomfortably high and truck like as on some mini vans (e.g. Chevy Uplander).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 08:09:40 am »
Regarding my outdated impressions :

Hyundai is improving at an incredible pace.  But, despite the huge volume they had in Quebec over the years, cars older than 6 years seem scarce on the road.  Granted, these cars were "so 2 gens ago", but that's what I mean by longevity.  Most car mags still report paint and panel gap issues.  If the current gens hang on forever like Hondas and 'Yotas, well I'll revise my position.  Still, dollar-for-dollar, I don't see as much value in Korean cars as most people seem to.  I don't compare doo-dads, I compare vehicles.  For example, a base Entourage and Sienna share similar msrp's, while the high-end versions have a huge difference.  In my view, I see more value in the Sienna.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

CptCanuck

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 08:36:45 am »

Most car mags still report paint and panel gap issues.  If the current gens hang on forever like Hondas and 'Yotas, well I'll revise my position.  Still, dollar-for-dollar, I don't see as much value in Korean cars as most people seem to. 

I'm sure this debate could go on forever, but there have been serveral magazine articles specifically on the 07 Santa Fe stating the total absence of paint and panel gap issues.  Again, the dollar-for-dollar issue has been discussed in serveral several other reviews where the reviewers question why buy a comparable $50,000 SUV/CUV when you can get the same or better in the Santa Fe?  For me, I refuse to spend any extra money just for a fancy badge.

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 09:46:07 am »
I tend to agree a little here with Blueprint, the AWD SF starts at $31640 while the base Rav4 w/V6 goes for $33190, both prices here include freight and PDI, it’s essentially a $1550 price difference at MSRP.  As far as difference in standard equipment, you get alloys, audio controls on the steering wheel, fog lights,  privacy glass and a  better warranty on the Santa Fe while the Rav will get you bigger tires (17â€? vs. 16â€?) along with a full-size spare and a sliding 2nd row seat. You can also argue that it will get you substantially more power with better fuel economy, not sure how much the SF can tow but the Rav is rated at 3500 lbs.  Am I missing anything in standard equipment differences? 

How one views the value in these 2 can be very subjective, you obviously get more bang for the buck with the Hyundai but which one will leave you with more value as the years go by if you consider maintenance, resale value etc….?? 

We all know how the Toyota should hold up very well through the years, the SF is still somewhat of a question mark although I do see tons of the first generation on the roads.  I love what Hyundai has done here.  I will be buying a crossover in the near future and these two are at the top of my list (also considering the new Outlander but haven’t seen one in person yet).  Based on these comments right now the SF is in first place…but that can change next week.  This will be a tough decision for sure.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
I have the top-drawer RAV4 with V6, leather, etc. and agree that the Santa Fe has a lot going for it. The GLS 5-seat model has a similar list of features but is priced $4000 less than my RAV4 was. Not bad.

I know a number of people who have had very positive experiences with Hyundai, some long term. Were I shopping today I would definitely give the Santa Fe a look. Not sure it would change my decision, but it would be a contender.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 10:19:43 am »
I tend to agree a little here with Blueprint, the AWD SF starts at $31640 while the base Rav4 w/V6 goes for $33190, both prices here include freight and PDI, it’s essentially a $1550 price difference at MSRP. 

... but in addition to a lower MSRP and additional standard equipment for the price, the finance and/or lease rates for Hyundai are usually considerably better than Toyota's across the board.  So unless you're payin' cash, one would also need to factor that difference in as well. 

CaptCanuck, I agree with your sentiments about magazines reporting impressive fit, finish and panel gaps with both the SantaFe and Sonata.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 10:34:27 am »
I tend to agree a little here with Blueprint, the AWD SF starts at $31640 while the base Rav4 w/V6 goes for $33190, both prices here include freight and PDI, it’s essentially a $1550 price difference at MSRP. 

... but in addition to a lower MSRP and additional standard equipment for the price, the finance and/or lease rates for Hyundai are usually considerably better than Toyota's across the board.  So unless you're payin' cash, one would also need to factor that difference in as well. 

CaptCanuck, I agree with your sentiments about magazines reporting impressive fit, finish and panel gaps with both the SantaFe and Sonata.

But don't residual value at the end of the lease term play a big role on the monthlies also?  :)

phatboyc

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 10:43:13 am »
I am probably the only one, but I prefer a less connected steering wheel with a soft ride. Nothing better after a long days work. This crossover was never meant to be a sports car so I don't drive it like one. It's always a game of give and take and I prefer smooth ride for this application.

But just for perspective, it handles better than 90% of SUV on the road today. No wobbly turns with this Santa Fe! 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 10:50:02 am »

Most car mags still report paint and panel gap issues.  If the current gens hang on forever like Hondas and 'Yotas, well I'll revise my position.  Still, dollar-for-dollar, I don't see as much value in Korean cars as most people seem to. 

I'm sure this debate could go on forever, but there have been serveral magazine articles specifically on the 07 Santa Fe stating the total absence of paint and panel gap issues.  Again, the dollar-for-dollar issue has been discussed in serveral several other reviews where the reviewers question why buy a comparable $50,000 SUV/CUV when you can get the same or better in the Santa Fe?  For me, I refuse to spend any extra money just for a fancy badge.

I've walked around Hyundai lots as I do in all lots, it's a past time on Sundays ;), of course you're not going to see paint issues, but the perfect body gaps is crock.  Personally I really like the lines of the Edge and GM's Acadia.  I do give credit to Hyundai for the Santa Fe, it is by far the best looking Hyundai to date.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 11:06:28 am »
The only way you're not going to see paint issues is if you've got a problem with your eyesight.  Orange peel effect on paint (for instance) is pretty clear to the human eye and is a common low-quality-paint-application problem.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 11:07:38 am »

But don't residual value at the end of the lease term play a big role on the monthlies also?  :)

It definitely should... but apparently not enough to offset the much higher rate I guess (at least by what I've seen when comparing Hyundai models to others lately).

CptCanuck

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 12:36:51 pm »

I think this is due to both of these being built at the new factory in Mongomery, Alabama.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 03:18:03 pm »
smawong -Whatever ::)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:20:49 pm by airbalancer »

mdxtasy

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 03:25:07 pm »

Still, dollar-for-dollar, I don't see as much value in Korean cars as most people seem to.  I don't compare doo-dads, I compare vehicles.  For example, a base Entourage and Sienna share similar msrp's, while the high-end versions have a huge difference.  In my view, I see more value in the Sienna.

I am in the market for a cuv/suv and I am very interested in the 07 Santa Fe.  When I get on a forum to see other people opinions regarding the Santa Fe I want to see how people rate the pros and cons of Santa Fe.  What they like ... what they don't like.  And I also like to see people who own the vehicle posting their experiences with it.  No offence but why are we comparing the Entourage and Sienna here?  These posts are supposed to be about the 07 Santa Fe, isn't it?  Sounds to me someone is trying to defence the Toyota name here!  That's good.  That means even Japanese car owners are noticing Hyundai.  Make me interested in the Santa Fe even more  ;D
... IMO, some people may be spending WAY too much time on this forum!!!! :P

smawong -Whatever ::)

:iagree:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:37:00 pm by MdX5 »

smawong

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 03:35:02 pm »

Still, dollar-for-dollar, I don't see as much value in Korean cars as most people seem to.  I don't compare doo-dads, I compare vehicles.  For example, a base Entourage and Sienna share similar msrp's, while the high-end versions have a huge difference.  In my view, I see more value in the Sienna.

I am in the market for a cuv/suv and I am very interested in the 07 Santa Fe.  When I get on a forum to see other people opinions regarding the Santa Fe I want to see how people rate the pros and cons of Santa Fe.  What they like ... what they don't like.  And I also like to see people who own the vehicle posting their experiences with it.  No offence but why are we comparing the Entourage and Sienna here?  These posts are supposed to be about the 07 Santa Fe, isn't it?  Sounds to me someone is trying to defence the Toyota name here!  That's good.  That means even Japanese car owners are noticing Hyundai.  Make me interested in the Santa Fe even more  ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:01:09 pm by wing »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 03:36:44 pm »
ok ...

Your post was fine untill you wrote that some of form members spend to much time here

smawong

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 04:40:44 pm »
Sorry if my comments earlier offended anyone.  I didn't mean to.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 05:01:27 pm »
I reinserted your post, very good comments welcome.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 05:02:57 pm »
Sorry if my comments earlier offended anyone.  I didn't mean to.

This place is not for a thin skin person
If you mean it , by all means write it, just know  other people will comment  about your post ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:05:19 pm by airbalancer »