Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS  (Read 48497 times)

mdxtasy

Re: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 05:04:44 pm »
I do spend a lot of time here....but that's because I choose to.

dave 2

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 06:20:08 pm »
So do I.  This site is very helpful to a lot of people(was for me with my last purchase and helping me with my current shopping). :winner:

I even kinda find it entertaining at times. :rofl:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 07:06:59 pm »
Ditto - even though we may differ in opinions, the feedback and disussion around new vehicles, etc. is always worthwhile. In the end, no one is making anyone else buy anything they don't want - we all make our own choices. :skid:
JWW

UmroAyyar

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 07:09:42 pm »
I reinserted your post, very good comments welcome.

I think that was appropriate and didn't find offensive at all, differing opinions, thats what let me stay here.

Entertainment value is a bonus on top of the useful information I find here. Most importantly, I am less ignorant and more informed about vehicles, their issues. Oh also hyperbole.  ;D

Phillyc

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 02:18:56 am »
Great comparison... I am shopping for a new suv/cuv/abc (ehh whatever), and for me the Santa Fe is my second choice.  My first choice right now is the Mazda CX-7... It starts at a good price, and having test drove one I can say it's really, really fun to drive.  Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the Santa Fe with the CX-7?  It may seem like an akward comparison, but both are great ... suv/cuv/whatever you call em!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 07:23:25 am »
Both are very good looking vehicles so I'll admit you have good taste.

However operating costs, if that is a factor for you, would lead me to want to go with the Sante Fe. It's all in the gas.

Sante Fe uses regular gas. Cx-7 because of the Turbo, requires more expensive premium fuel. So if fuel cost is important..... ;)

mdxtasy

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 07:25:52 am »
Increased fuel costs because of reg vs prem fuel isn't going to break the bank.....it'll cost a bit more, but you won't be eating KD as a result.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 07:58:54 am »
The CX-7 is as close to a sports car as any CUV will get, and to compare apples with apples, I see tremedous value in the zoom-zoomy Mazda.  If room exceeds vroom on the "needs" scale, the new Saturn Outlook in base trim provides excellent value, altough the thing is HUGE  :o.  Both base around 32k$.  Upper trim levels of compact CUVs such as the SF, Rav and CRV can't compete with the value of the fwd Pilot...then again, most of you guys probably don't need room for 3 child seats as I do.  In the end, SF or competition, I think the prices of non-premium compact CUVs is creeping up way too much for me to endorse them.  Otherwise, in 4 cyl. trim, these things are just about perfect for our market.  The new Outlander looks good (seen it at the Montreal Auto Show), but it has the most ridiculous 3rd row seat I've ever seen.  Reminds me of the bed seats in the Subaru Brat  :rofl:

Oh, and mea culpae  :-[, the Alabama Hyundais do seem to have better build quality than their homeland cars.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

CptCanuck

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 08:46:46 am »
Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the Santa Fe with the CX-7?  It may seem like an akward comparison, but both are great ... suv/cuv/whatever you call em!

We looked at the almost every "car" in this category before we bought the Santa Fe.  When we compared the Santa Fe to the CX-7 the deciding factors were: 1) Gas, Regular vs. Premium; and 2) Total Cargo Capacity (2200 vs. 1600 cublic litres); 3) Price; and, 4) Warranty.  Everywhere else they were close or the same (HP, mileage, saftey features).

Benjuotterly

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 10:24:30 am »
I have to admit that the very loaded 3.3L AWD GLS is really nice, but quite surprise to see that nearly no one has mentioned about the 2.7L FWD GL in MANUAL tranny that's costs almost 30% less.  Similar to Capt. Canuck, I've compared virtually every single brand and available model before decided to go for the very basic SF.  Here's the pros and cons of it so far:

Pros:
1.  Very friendly after sales service.
2.  more than enough power for daily 401 driving.
3.  Very very quiet cabin (both idle and on-road) and comfy ride (after whole day of work, I just wanted a smooth and soft ride home).
4.  Has ALL the NEEDED features even in the very base trim (abs, ebd, side curtain, esc...etc etc)
5. Exceptionally stable on ice and snow with just the original tires (I purposely tried many times to throw myself a 180 on ice/snow in empty parking lot and failed).  Makes the car drives like my old accord with Nokian winter tires!!
6. Solid doors and parts.

Cons:
1.  1st gear is very short.... a bit too short IMO for a car like this.  If I wanted a snappy car, I'd go for the civic si....
2.  5th gear also short for highway....3000rpm@109km/h !! not exactly my idea of economical highway driving.... funny thing is that I found the HMA (USA) tech manual indicated the manual tranny was originally designed with 6th gear in place.... why not put an O/D in there for better fuel economy?!?!  if I need to accelerate, I can always down shift!!!
3.  The engine takes forever to warm up....
4.  Slow engine/throttle response.... I literally had to wait for the rev to come down when up-shifting.... especially frustrated from 1st to 2nd gear.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to emphasize on the driving on it.  I think the car is just right for its purpose - CUV in city driving with few outings in the summer and some rough driving around the unplowed suburb in the winter.  If you're looking for good towing and off-road capability, go for the Toyota FJ.  If you wanted a sporty car, why bother with an SUV/CUV?!? get yourself a real sporty car!!!  I feel funny when people are talking about how the RAV4 can do 0-100 under 6.5sec.... my 91 Kawasaki Ninja can do it under 4.5sec..... manufacturer built cars according to categories because...well... there ARE different categories.... sporty car for sporty driver, SUV for off-road, VAN for the large family..... isn't it weird to ask for a SUV to behave like a sporty coupe??  for me, it fairly simple:  I wanted a bigger car with good cargo room, 4 doors, easy access to the storage area, good safety features, adequate power, fair fuel comsumption, occasional camping trip in the summer, comfy and quiet ride after work, and easy monthly payments.

It all comes down to the 2.7L FWD 5SPD basic SF !!

Benjuotterly

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 10:28:30 am »
oh by the way, an added feature of the manual basic SF that you DON'T find in AUTO SF or RAV4 or CR-V:  It's so much fun!!! especially when I turned the ESC off on snow!!!  (what other SUV/CUV has manual tranny these days beside the FJ??)

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 11:14:51 am »
Great comparison... I am shopping for a new suv/cuv/abc (ehh whatever), and for me the Santa Fe is my second choice.  My first choice right now is the Mazda CX-7... It starts at a good price, and having test drove one I can say it's really, really fun to drive.  Does anyone have any opinions on comparing the Santa Fe with the CX-7?  It may seem like an akward comparison, but both are great ... suv/cuv/whatever you call em!
Mazda certainly delivers better driving dynamics, you wouldn't want to throw a SF around a corner in the same fashion you would a CX-7. I think the CX-7 is one of the best designed cross-over vehicles from the outside, but find it a tad spartan on the inside. The SF is an excellent all-round vehicle for what it is intended to be. I am not sure I cross-shop these two myself. I'd be more inclined to cross-shop the RDX and CX-7. In the end, you have a very hard time arguing the Hyundai value-proposition - even in base trim, you are getting a well equipped vehicle with a very solid warranty.

EZGo

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 12:00:43 pm »
I recently traded in a 02 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 (106,212 km) for a 07 Santa Fe 3.3 FWD GL Leather Pkg (5 pass).  I concur with a few posters about the fit and finish, it could use some improvements particularly the exterior.  I decided to overlook the minor flaws because in all other aspects the vehicle offers good value when it comes to styling, performance, interior looks/comfort and standard safety features/ratings.  As long a Hyundai stays afloat the 5year/100,000 km Warranty is certainly a bonus because the reliability is an unknown.

Interesting to note to me anyways, that the Santa Fe is the closes in all aspects (exterior/interior dimensions, cargo capacity, engine performance and ride comfort) to my previous Highlander of the vehicles that I looked at and tested (CX-7, Edge).  Basically a modernized Highlander but way less expensive, felt right at home in it.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 12:55:44 pm »
I recently traded in a 02 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 (106,212 km) for a 07 Santa Fe 3.3 FWD GL Leather Pkg (5 pass).  I concur with a few posters about the fit and finish, it could use some improvements particularly the exterior.  I decided to overlook the minor flaws because in all other aspects the vehicle offers good value when it comes to styling, performance, interior looks/comfort and standard safety features/ratings.  As long a Hyundai stays afloat the 5year/100,000 km Warranty is certainly a bonus because the reliability is an unknown.

Interesting to note to me anyways, that the Santa Fe is the closes in all aspects (exterior/interior dimensions, cargo capacity, engine performance and ride comfort) to my previous Highlander of the vehicles that I looked at and tested (CX-7, Edge).  Basically a modernized Highlander but way less expensive, felt right at home in it.

Wlcome to the "Yes, I Bought A Hyundai" club.

Enjoy your new vehicle.

Pics please??

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 02:26:23 pm »
EZgo,

Since you're coming from an AWD Highlander I have a few questions if you don't mind.  Do you find any differences in traction since your SF is only FWD (have you driven it in the snow?)  How about cargo hold, can you cram in about the same amount of stuff in there as your Toyota.  How about fuel economy, similar? Thanks in advance.

phatboyc

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 03:20:44 pm »
2.  5th gear also short for highway....3000rpm@109km/h !! not exactly my idea of economical highway driving....
Get the 3.3 AWD. It does 2100rpm@110km/h! Very relaxed. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:28:44 pm by phatboyc »

phatboyc

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 03:29:11 pm »
Intersting that the Santa Fe has a diff. lock button.  While I don't mind slip and grip AWD systems, to not have a diff lock button removes a lot of the benefit of having AWD. 

If anyone wants to see what the 07 Santa Fe can do in the snow. I have posted some pictures in a Hyundai forum.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t14747-trail-run-with-pics.htm
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:46:07 pm by phatboyc »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:38 pm »
Good stuff PHat_boy.....My Millenia could climb those wee hills Tho'.....care ta EXTRAPOLE ATE...and say wot that proves??? ::) :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Benjuotterly

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 04:36:09 pm »
2.  5th gear also short for highway....3000rpm@109km/h !! not exactly my idea of economical highway driving....
Get the 3.3 AWD. It does 2100rpm@110km/h! Very relaxed. ;)

see... that's the funny thing, the 3.3L is 5speed auto.  I've checked the gear ratio information on the 2.7 manual, 2.7 4spd auto and 3.3 5spd auto, both autos has overdrive final gear ratio which give around 2100rpm@110km/h, but not the 5 spd manual.... I figured this is because Hyundai wants the manual tranny be a little more "peppy".... I buy this concept in the first 4 gears, but not the 5th... with its final gear ratio, they should have put a 6th gear in the manual....

Benjuotterly

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 04:37:33 pm »
Another added bonus of the base FWD manul tranny:  I averaged 10L/100km.