Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS  (Read 48493 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:01:20 pm »
Picture Gallery:  2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS

Day 1:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
Click Image to Enlarge
This week I finally get behind the wheel of CanadianDriver's long-term Hyundai Santa Fe.  This is Hyundai's second generation Santa Fe, with the first having been introduced in 2000.  The 2007 Santa Fe is yet again a vast improvement for Hyundai over the previous model and I have been looking forward to testing it.More ...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:38:08 pm »
Intersting that the Santa Fe has a diff. lock button.  While I don't mind slip and grip AWD systems, to not have a diff lock button removes a lot of the benefit of having AWD. 

James, are you driving with the foglights on?  ;) 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Congo100

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:37:09 am »
Perhaps the fog lights double as daytime running lights, like the Murano.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:37:30 am »
I have to say that this thing looks good.  The previous gen was so awful - from some angles, it looked like the sides got dented in a fender-bender.  Except for the new Elantra, Hyundai now has styling figured-out.  Now, they need to work on fit and finish and, especially, longevity.  At this price level, I'd shop elsewhere, as the brand doesn't give me the confidence needed to fork over so much money.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

CptCanuck

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:45:48 am »
A few years ago I never would have thought that I'd purchase an SUV/CUV let alone a Hyundai of any class, but I've got 8000km on my '07 Santa Fe 3.3.l FWD and it's been flawless.  The fit and finish is much better than any car I have owned before - obviously Hyundai has overcome their past problems in quality.  I also think it says a lot that this vehicle was designed and built in the USA. It shows Hyundai's commitment to this market.  I could rave on about this vehicle, but I don't want to sound like a spokesman for Hyundai.  Suffice it to say, my thinking has come around 180 degrees on what Hyundai can do.

Fredster

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:57 am »
Bonjour,
I have a 2003 Elanta hatchback (GT) with 89 000 km on it and other than normal oil change, winter wiper blades and winter tires, never put a dime on this car. It longevity and toughness suprises me. I will be in the market next year for a bigger vehicule and The Santa Fe is topping my list, I'm sure that Toyota will have an interesting new Highlander but at what price?. I drove the santa Fe and I was suprised how well it handles and how comfy and silent it is.
Looking forward for the next day-by day- review.
Thanks
Fredster

dave 2

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:57 am »
A few years ago I never would have thought that I'd purchase an SUV/CUV let alone a Hyundai of any class, but I've got 8000km on my '07 Santa Fe 3.3.l FWD and it's been flawless.  The fit and finish is much better than any car I have owned before - obviously Hyundai has overcome their past problems in quality.

My impressions were the same.  I'm glad to hear your experience with your Santa Fe. It encourages me even more to consider it.

phatboyc

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:25:35 am »
Never though I would buy a Hyundai either. But after I did my homework and compare, this is definitely one of the top in the category. So far I have 2100km on it and no regrets what so ever. The more I drive it, the more I see how smooth it is.

With the new car assembly plant these days, I don't really mind where it's from. The Santa Fe is put together by something like 85% robotic arms. The only thing that matters is the engineers, designers and support behind the product. Which in this case is well done indeed.

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:52:14 am »
I think we all have acknowledged the fact that Hyundai will be a big force in the auto market.  This new Sante Fe is proof that they are a serious contender.  Looks good.....

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:11 am »
I have been pretty open about my conversion to Hyundai just over a year ago when we picked up our Sonata. Last night we picked up Hyundai #2, a 3dr Accent hatch, for my wife (I am continuing to remain mum on the colour until I can get a pic posted at http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,50296.60.html)

While we were hanging around the dealership on Saturday just before we ironed out the details on the Accent, I kicked the tyres on a Santa Fe - and was mightily impressed. Now that I have come to expect more from Hyundai, they are no longer surprising me, but standing up to the expectations I have set for them. I particulalry like the steering wheel mounted audio and the HVAC controls - very intuitive, and, you might even say 'Lexus-ish'. If I were shopping today instead of last year for a new family vehicle, the 07 SF would have definately been in the mix.

JWW

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:58:53 am »
Now, they need to work on fit and finish and, especially, longevity.  At this price level, I'd shop elsewhere, as the brand doesn't give me the confidence needed to fork over so much money.

This is out-dated thinking, if you ask me.  With two family members now driving '06 Hyundais (one Accent and one Sonata), and having driven each and a new '07 Santa Fe myself, I can tell you that they're every bit as well screwed-together as anything I've ever driven.  Solid, smooth, quiet (well, the Accent not so much quiet) and so far, proving to be exceptionally reliable.  To believe that Hyundai isn't a match for quality with the Japanese brands simply means you haven't spent enough time with the Korean brand lately.  

The Santa Fe represents an outstanding value and is a wonderfully refined and well-equipped (and practical) vehicle for the bucks.

Another tremendous offering from Hyundai -- thumbs' up!

(by the way, James, I never noticed an inordinately long brake pedal travel on the model I drove -- I wonder if yours is an exception -- or if you're just too used to driving that Porsche all week!)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:03 am »
James - regarding your long-brake pedal problem - maybe you need to move the seat closer ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:29 am »
I like no dead zone in my pedals and I feel it's a safety issue, the Santa Fe isn't atrocious but it is noticeable IMO.

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:36 am »
Now, they need to work on fit and finish and, especially, longevity.  At this price level, I'd shop elsewhere, as the brand doesn't give me the confidence needed to fork over so much money.

All I have to say is compare the interior of the 07 Santa Fe with the 07 Rav 4 ... IMO the Santa Fe looks more like a Lexus than a Hyundai!

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 12:25:08 pm »
I like no dead zone in my pedals and I feel it's a safety issue, the Santa Fe isn't atrocious but it is noticeable IMO.
Actually, I hear you on this one. The Sonata brake pedal is quite good - much better than the Altima or any Chrysler or GM product that I have ever owned, but perhaps not as solid as my Volvo was.

mcap1972

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 12:26:36 pm »
Hi

I own 1997 Accent with 110k km on it (I bought it new) and except for regular oil changes, tires ,break pads and sparks I didn't put any money in this car. It never broke down and even on a very cold day it starts immediately. Now that's what I call reliability.

I'm also in the market for a bigger family car and the new Santa Fe and the upcoming Veracruz will be my first choice to look at when considering my new car.

Rand7777

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 01:56:15 pm »
We bought a 95 Accent new.  It never left us stranded, and has been a daily driver for going on 12 years.  Unbeleivable reliability!  Better than my Nissan Maxima!  Need I say more.  We've owned a Toyota for 14 years which was good, but wWe'd sooner purchase another Hyundai before a Nissan.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 02:55:31 pm »
Sounds like it's time for an official Hyundai groug hug!   :-*

dave 2

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 06:37:03 pm »
I don't think so.... :nono:

I've heard the opposite with Accents and Elantras...but I'm willing to give Hyundai credit for the new Sonata and Santa Fe.

Offline bobby

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 07:08:28 pm »
I have an '04 Elantra GT with 75K on it and I can echo Fredster's comments exactly... still have 25K left on the warranty... love it.  I drove the new Santa Fe when it came out and was quite impressed too.  I'm glad they decided to release a top level GLS 5 seater as those 3rd row seats are sooo small.  The 5 seat configuration allows for that nice storage bin in the back too.