Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed3  (Read 34823 times)

MS3kids

Re: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed3
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2007, 02:45:28 pm »

feel better than all those lesser skilled Charger, Mustang, and RX8 drivers out there! ??? ::)

Welcome to the forum. You are an idiot!

Now what do I say to that? I'm still laughing.....

??? My rebuttal was not intended to be funny at all.

That makes it even better!

???  :shake: Why must nOObs come on here with their first post and belittle other members driving skill because of their preference for drive wheels?

Where are the pics of your car?
[/quote]

Dude, belittle? I was making a joke..... Don't worry, I'll stay out of your forum, I wouldn't want to belittle you anymore.

All I wanted to do was leave some feedback ref the car for anyone who was thinking of buying one.

Later

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »

feel better than all those lesser skilled Charger, Mustang, and RX8 drivers out there! ??? ::)

Welcome to the forum. You are an idiot!

Now what do I say to that? I'm still laughing.....

??? My rebuttal was not intended to be funny at all.

That makes it even better!

???  :shake: Why must nOObs come on here with their first post and belittle other members driving skill because of their preference for drive wheels?

Where are the pics of your car?

Dude, belittle? I was making a joke..... Don't worry, I'll stay out of your forum, I wouldn't want to belittle you anymore.

All I wanted to do was leave some feedback ref the car for anyone who was thinking of buying one.

Later
[/quote]

Not my forum...but bye bye anyways  :hello:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2007, 09:59:25 pm »
Someone feel free to finish an oldie, but a goodie...

Don't go away mad...

Canada1

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2007, 02:39:44 pm »
The Mazdaspeed3 sells for $32,270 CDN ($30,995 + $1,275 Freight & PDI) in Canada and $22,935 US ($22,340 + $595 Freight) in the USA. At the current exchange rate (1.06), the US price is equivalent to $24,311 CDN.

This means that the car in Canada is $7,959 CDN more, not to mention that you also have to add 6% GST to the Canadian price and the manufacturing tax is supposed to be already included in the price in the USA. WHAT A BLOODY RIP OFF in CANADA!!!!!

This is a disgrace and is basically theft of the Canadian people.  Why has the media not made a bigger issue of this?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:37 pm »
The Mazdaspeed3 sells for $32,270 CDN ($30,995 + $1,275 Freight & PDI) in Canada and $22,935 US ($22,340 + $595 Freight) in the USA. At the current exchange rate (1.06), the US price is equivalent to $24,311 CDN.

This means that the car in Canada is $7,959 CDN more, not to mention that you also have to add 6% GST to the Canadian price and the manufacturing tax is supposed to be already included in the price in the USA. WHAT A BLOODY RIP OFF in CANADA!!!!!

This is a disgrace and is basically theft of the Canadian people.  Why has the media not made a bigger issue of this?
 ::)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2007, 02:58:43 pm »

Many places in the US have sales taxes, so that is not an issue.  However, you are right about the terrible price difference.  The Edmonton Sun newspaper has begun to run editorial content on this situation, noting car prices, electronics and all kinds off other products that are priced much higher in Canada.

What to do?  DO NOT buy a new car.  Tell Mazda Canada why you didn't buy one.  Tell your Mazda dealer.  Buy a US version and show your local dealer the sale they missed. Vote with your dollars (or lack of spending) and make sure the companies know.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2007, 09:59:02 pm »
So today I made the most of having a day off work and spent it car shopping with a friend -- SWRT1 -- from the forum.  Our friend here is seriously thinking about going from two cars -- a '98 Civic Si "beater" and his beloved (and modded) '04 WRX sedan -- to one (a hatchback of some description) that will serve all purposes for him.  Naturally, his first stop was at Subaru to take a look at the new Imprezas. 

We began by going out in a new Impreza 2.5i Hatchback.  From a passenger standpoint, it was about as exciting as a salt-less soda cracker -- both inside and out.  Unfortunately I didn't get to drive it myself... and quite frankly, I'm not all that torn up about it.  Our friend said it was a nice car -- but we both immediately knew it wasn't as visceral and lively a machine as even the 2.5i from '07.  More importantly, I think he knew pretty quickly that it wasn't going to be enough "car" for him. 

We then took out a new WRX hatch.  I was hoping the WRX would be one of those cars that looks better in 'the flesh' than in pictures.  Not so much.  Styling-wise, compared to the 2.5i, it moves up the scale to Ritz cracker-without-any-toppings bland.  No matter, Subarus have never been about styling, they're about the mechanicals. 

Even after a short drive, the WRX felt "like home" to our friend -- and he was reminded why people spend the extra bucks to have the turbo.  It is definitely more refined, quiet and smooth... but no longer feels like a proper sporting machine.  Still bloody quick though, and does grip reasonably well. 

So... I asked our friend if he could save a few thousand dollars, get more equipment and WAAAAY more power, but all the functionality of the WRX hatchback, would he be interested.  He (like Sandman / Snowman from the forum), suffers from AA -- AWD Arrogance.  I begged him to humour me and check out the Mazdaspeed3 and because we had nothing better to do, he agreed -- but I knew he was not going to the dealership because he believed this was a viable option for him.

An hour and a half later, he was asking "Why can't the WRX excite us like this thing?" ... and "I can't believe it's only $30k".

The absolute die-hard Subaru fan was showing cracks in the facade of loyalty after one drive in the Speed3.  And since I made it a point of ripping around some high-speed turns in the driver's seat myself, I can certainly appreciate why he had such a change of heart. 

The complaints read elsewhere about this car:  rubbery shifter, brakes that 'hang on' after releasing for a second, wicked torque-steer -- none of them seemed to afflict our test-drive car to any noticible degree.  Instead, we had some side-roads, highway and very-tight twisties on which we enjoyed this 18,000km 'demo' and it performed flawlessly without a hiccup... and with surprisingly little turbo lag.

Wing had mentioned earlier that his own 160 hp Mz3Sport breaks away the front tires too easily being over powered by the torquey 2.3L engine.  Likewise, driving my wife's car today, I found the same thing.  The Traction control system and stickier rubber really does do a remarkable job of getting the most out of that very powerful turbo 2.3 in the MS3.

Sure it doesn't handle as well as the MX-5 (or an RX8), but MY GOD, the thrust of that engine is incredible! First and second are quick and the power comes on nicely.  But in third gear, with the pedal planted, it's like strapping yourself to a cheetah with his tail on fire.  Yeeehaw! 

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't handle badly at all.  Compared to my wife's Mazda3, it corners flatter and hangs on much better, as you'd expect of the much larger, stickier summer rubber and all the suspension upgrades over the lesser car.  Let's not kid ourselves though this is a taller, heavier car than either of Mazda's 'proper' sports cars and you will hit understeer at the limits. 

But you know what?  I didn't care, because the LSD puts power down nicely and with the turbo on boil, you can exit turns with the boosters blazing.  You're going so much faster into turns and on straightaways than most other cars (and indeed surely anything as a direct competitor), that I sure didn't miss the potential for tail-out silliness that an RWD sports car affords the driver. 

I absolutely love chocolate cake.  And I salivate at the thought of a thick, juicy steak too.  Two very different culinary delights.  Similarly, the FWD Mazdaspeed delivers heart-pounding exhilaration and incredible performance numbers, but is different, if equally appealing to me than a RWD Mustang GT or MX-5 of similar value, from a fun-to-drive standpoint. 

Do I still wish Mazda was able to wrangle AWD into the Mazdaspeed3?  Sure, I guess...  but for $30k, if I was forced to swap my MX-5 for one, I'd be sad to lose my beloved roadster, but would absolutely look forward to ripping through the six gears and feeling that corrupting power-rush of the MS3 every day.  It would also be kinda neat thinking that I'd be able to have so much fun at AutoX with that little beastie on the weekends, commute to work during the week, throw my mountain bike in the back to hit the trails and, when the time comes, fit 'junior's car seat too. 

Those who automatically dismiss the Mazdaspeed3 based on what they see on paper don't give Mazda enough credit and are missing out on a tremendous value and exciting machine!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2007, 10:06:43 pm »
Good review Jeff.

I even think I could live with a Mazdaspeed 3 as my only car and that's not even having driven it, I can just imagine my current Mazda3 just much much faster.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2007, 10:50:47 pm »
Good review Jeff.

I even think I could live with a Mazdaspeed 3 as my only car and that's not even having driven it, I can just imagine my current Mazda3 just much much faster.

... much faster AND stiffer, grippier handling.  As great as the Mazda3 is, it just makes it better without comprimising or beating you up with a tough ride.

Leviathan

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2007, 11:33:11 pm »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2007, 03:13:27 am »
That Mazda is so much better looking!

I wonder what the rally going Impreza is gonna look like?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2007, 11:12:33 pm »
I will agree out of the box the MPS3 has some advantages but the WRX aftermarket is so far ahead that $2k-$3k of goodies will place you at a different level. I have become spoiled with my COBB stage 2 and will have a hard time finding an equivalent.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2007, 07:43:54 pm »
Those who automatically dismiss the Mazdaspeed3 based on what they see on paper don't give Mazda enough credit and are missing out on a tremendous value and exciting machine!

Good statement GD! I would say just the same about the Speed6 to who automatically criticize its AWD system... and miss out "on a tremendous value and exciting machine!"

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:52 pm »
Hey, nice review GD!

Funny too: "in third gear, with the pedal planted, it's like strapping yourself to a cheetah with his tail on fire.  Yeeehaw!"  :rofl:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:13 pm »
I will agree out of the box the MPS3 has some advantages but the WRX aftermarket is so far ahead that $2k-$3k of goodies will place you at a different level. I have become spoiled with my COBB stage 2 and will have a hard time finding an equivalent.

Isn't your Scoob leased? ???

Just curious how a whole whack of aftermarket mods would affect your post-lease inspection bits.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

avtoller

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:28 pm »
"Just curious how a whole whack of aftermarket mods would affect your post-lease inspection bits."

He has said previously that the car will be returned to stock prior to return.  ;)

Leviathan

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 03:18:27 am »
After market means little to me. A stock MS3 is still light years ahead of a Tribute so I dare say I'd be happy with the factory performance  :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:37 am »

Isn't your Scoob leased? ???

Just curious how a whole whack of aftermarket mods would affect your post-lease inspection bits.

Yes it is leased and the dealer installed the mods. I have full warranty coverage.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:28 am »
You have an awesome dealer.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2007, 09:14:27 am »
Hey, nice review GD!

Funny too: "in third gear, with the pedal planted, it's like strapping yourself to a cheetah with his tail on fire.  Yeeehaw!"  :rofl:

Reminds me of "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle".  :rofl: :rofl2: