Author Topic: Bono and Big Business and Tax Avoidance  (Read 4898 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Bono and Big Business and Tax Avoidance
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:19:22 am »
So Bono, he who feels he has the right to tell all world leaders how to solve the world's problems, now owns 40% of Forbes magazine (or at least is a partner in a group that does) and, after telling the Irish PM to spend more tax money on foreign aid, has moved U2's finances to the Netherlands, to AVOID PAYING IRISH TAXES.  As well that, he is a part owner of some video game companies, incuding one that makes a simulator for the US Army.

That's pretty funny. 

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Bono and Big Business and Tax Avoidance
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:30:44 am »
 U2 BRUTE..... ;) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:41:28 pm »
Our Canadian star Ann Murray removed all of her investments from Canada years ago because she felt she was paying too much in tax's. We made her famous and rich and yet she still wants us to pay her way while she lives here. My one daughter was a real fan until that moment and never supported her music since.  :)

Offline java_man

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 F-150 Quad Cab 4x4
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:50:42 pm »
Actions speak louder than words; in this case it's "Do as I do, not as I say".

A hypocrite, in the entertainment business - shocking!   ::)

mdxtasy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:44:25 pm »
Who doesn't want to pay less taxes.  I would.  I just don't make enough to do so.   :P

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 11:32:40 pm »
Tax minimization and avoidance make good common sense and business sense; tax evasion is not legal and is punishable at law, as it should be. They are different things. Who would pay more taxes than they have to by law?  ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 12:08:17 am »
Taxes....bah humbug.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:19:34 am by MdX5 »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 07:32:43 am »
Yeah BUT like EX PM and Finance Minister MARTINI BREATH...basing your business OVERSEAS leaves a BAD TASTE when he asks an average wage earner to take a Tax HIT ....many of the avoidance schemes should be available fer the  average JOE and built into the TAX Computer...as it stands if ya don't pay a Fancy Pants Tax Lawyer OR Accountant ya don't GET the BREAKS..kinda Ironic isn't IT those in need of an extra $300 in Tax relief are Ignored and those that need $3Mill OFF are Feted and admired in most part...yeah if ya wanna renege on yer Citizenship and set up in Switzerland,Bahamas,Panama etc....nuffing ya can do about that...but to stay here and say yer Monet(hell that wos a good Freudian SLIP!!!) all comes from Liberia..GIVE "ME" a BREAK...........these rules are written by the Likes of Martinis and their(he is one) Lawyer cohorts >:(

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 08:25:10 am »
Who doesn't want to pay less taxes.  I would.  I just don't make enough to do so.   :P

I just find it pretty funny that one the one hand, they run around the world demanding that the leaders of various countries spend x% on foreign aid, then they pull their money out of those same countries, because they don't want to pay the taxes.  Hmmmm.  Sure - spend money on foreign aid, as long as it's not my money.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 01:04:39 pm »
I think that the REALLY hypocritical thing is that when any gov DOES lower taxes for the average middle class Joe a WHOLE PILE of people complain that everyone will die because social services are being destroyed.  Strangely, a lot of those complainers work in the "public service" or in other safe quasi government jobs with fat benefit packages, pension plans and employment security.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 03:02:10 pm »
At alot stores they ask you if you want to donate a dollar to some charity
I bet the  stores get the write off of your donation.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 07:10:32 pm »
Always have a good lawyer and a good accountant.

avtoller

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 07:52:34 pm »
Always have a good lawyer and a good accountant.

I prefer to not need either!  ;D ;D

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 09:41:47 pm »
Bono is  full of  sh1t.   

barrie1

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 11:15:08 pm »
You got it Duck as None of his money will ever be used to help pay our way in this Country.  :)

Gwendly

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 10:10:56 am »
I though Irish artists were exempt(sp?) from paying taxes in Ireland?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:22:20 am »
ONLY if there Leper_Coins...... ;D....................Betaxed and begorrah..Oi need anuffer Guinness..U2!!  can be an IRISHEYESHOLE...........if ya shave yer heid...........send FOOD STAMPS to Erin BlewGorrah.c/o Muff DIVER County GLOCKANDLOAD...EIRE... :D

Panzer

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:50:44 am »
I think that the REALLY hypocritical thing is that when any gov DOES lower taxes for the average middle class Joe a WHOLE PILE of people complain that everyone will die because social services are being destroyed. 

Usually it's the NDP'ers doing that kind of complaining.  And you have to admit it kind of makes sense: how can one beef up health care AND pay back the debt AND lower its revenue while balancing the books?

Strangely, a lot of those complainers work in the "public service" or in other safe quasi government jobs with fat benefit packages, pension plans and employment security.

"Fat" benefits packages and the like also belong to the private sector, tpl.  I certainly recall the days when the high tech industry was offering its workers stellar salaries plus a bunch of other incentives like on-site gym facilities and loose work hours.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:57:42 am »
Loose work whores.........................Dang Gotta GET ME A Komputa thingie...and an IE badge from Korn_FLAKES package...... :rofl2:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:59:19 am »
I though Irish artists were exempt(sp?) from paying taxes in Ireland?

The change to the tax regs is what prompted U2 to move their finances to the Netherlands..