Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Kia Rondo  (Read 73220 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Kia Rondo
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 05:31:06 pm »
I found this vehcle to be out of the blue like others here. What a great concept. I have no need whatsoever for four wheel drive and the four cylinder engine sounds great to me. Would be better mated to the 5 speed automatic though. Don't need four on the floor. Used to drive standard but you wear too many clutch master cylinder seals out on the highways around Toronto. Like the controls. Could do without steptronic probably never use it (fighting a loosing battle here) Is the engine the world engine often talked about? Sounds from the test here that it is a willing unit. If it is as good as the 2.6 four that was in the Issusu Trooper back in the late eighties it will be a winner. For the poster who finds it necessary to constantly defend his Civic all I can say is that the Civic is a fine little car also. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It's a fine old school vehicle. Excellent report.
Regards
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 11:33:10 am by Rupert »

Lurker

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 05:55:24 am »
I phoned a Kia dealer here in Winterpeg and they said mid-December arrival.  I will definitely be taking a test drive.

I test drove the Mazda 5 and it's fine if you don't need any speed to make you happy (What happened to zoom-zoom?). I need at best average acceleration.

On the topic of reliability the Mazda 5 rated average for it's first year.  Not what I was expecting considering the 3 was above average.
My Hyundai Elantra GT has been a great car for me and now that I need more room this looks like the right package.

Meow

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 10:34:09 am »
The Kia Carens has been out since 2000, This is the redesigned mark 2. I wonder why they changed the name and called it the Rondo. :-\

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=384  <---MK1

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=1527 <---Mk2

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:48:45 pm »
Is the engine the world engine often talked about?

Not sure about that. Same motor as used in the Magentis and the Sonata. It's a new Hyundai 2.4-litre (the old Sonata had a 2.4 too, but it was based on a Mitsubishi design from way back) but not sure if it's related to the "world" engine, which I believe is the one the Dodge Caliber uses. My gut tells me no, but I really can't say for sure.
I used to work here.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 11:08:20 am »
The Kia Carens has been out since 2000, This is the redesigned mark 2. I wonder why they changed the name and called it the Rondo. :-\

Car companies change names of cars all the time to better fit certain markets. Case in point, the Buick Allure is called the LaCrosse in the States.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 02:34:50 pm »

Car companies change names of cars all the time to better fit certain markets. Case in point, the Buick Allure is called the LaCrosse in the States.

Might be more accurate to say the Lacrosse is called the Allure here; GM changed the name for Canada as Lacrosse, in Quebec, is a slang term for a sexual act - not the image Buick wants to portray, I don't think.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 02:40:09 pm »
True, they changed it for our sake.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 06:09:17 pm »
Might be more accurate to say the Lacrosse is called the Allure here; GM changed the name for Canada as Lacrosse, in Quebec, is a slang term for a sexual act - not the image Buick wants to portray, I don't think.
Yeah - I remember living in Finland in 1979-1982, and VW sold a car that's name was a Finnish slang for dung. Guess what - no one bought the cars! When they changed the name, it took a bit of time before people would drive them.  :rofl:
JWW

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 10:34:53 am »
http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061122.wh-rondo23/GAStory/specialGlobeAuto/
2007 Kia Rondo
VANCOUVER

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

VANCOUVER — On a typically grey, wet November day here on the Left Coast, marketing man Dean Tesser and the crew from Kia Canada are doing their best to rain on the competition.

It's an effective performance, too.

"Right now as we speak, Kia has the youngest product lineup in the business," says Tesser, who joined Kia in January after a career at troubled Ford.

The featured attraction today is the 2007 Kia Rondo, a four-door hatchback/wagony type of vehicle that starts at less than $20,000. The Rondo ($19,995-$25,995) has standard cloth seating for five, but pricier versions are available with leather and seating for up to seven. All the seats, front to back, fold flat and the rear-most ones virtually tuck into the floor to make room for cargo.

Related to this article

Enlarge Image
From the rear, the 2007 Kia Rondo has a wide stance and the sides are dressed up with chrome door handles. (JEREMY CATO FOR THE GLOBE AND MAIL)

Latest Comments
Start a conversation on this story
 After Tesser's PowerPoint performance on the Rondo — one stuffed with direct comparisons with Rondo rivals — I take to the road expecting to be underwhelmed.

Consider this: Kia, a sister company of South Korean auto maker Hyundai, may be the weakest car brand in Canada. New or not, Kia has yet to earn the respect of the big quality arbiters such as Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates.

Take the Kia Sportage. In the latest Consumer Reports 2007 preview edition, it is rated the least-reliable small sport-utility vehicle. Period. In Power's latest Vehicle Dependability Study, which measures owner-reported problems after three years, Kia ranks fourth from the bottom — just ahead of Suzuki, Saab and Land Rover. Not good.

Tesser counters with Kia's five-year/100,000-kilometre bumper-to-bumper warranty. If your car breaks, Kia will fix it long after you've stopped making payments.

Still, Kia's quality reputation doesn't yet match Toyota's. It's not even close. That said, if quality and brand power are measured on a continuum, with Toyota rated best at the far right and, say, Lada worst on the far left, Tesser says, "We are more than halfway to where we need to be. In order to change perceptions, we have to change the product."

And then he points out that Kia is No. 2 in owner loyalty, ahead of Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Kia buyers tend to come back and buy again. "This is a brand that is moving forward," he says.

The better part of a day behind the wheel of a Rondo suggests to me that Kia is at least moving steadily in the right direction. There is a lot to like here, from the stylish red instruments to the red backlighting of many controls. The use of lightish-grey, soft-touch plastics in the cabin is a welcome change from the usual black that's all too standard in the industry. Did I mention the thick foam padding in the seats? Well done.

Really, there is nothing cheap about the look of this interior. Not a bit. My silver tester seemed well enough snapped together, too. The cabin panels fit nicely, with small gaps and even seams. The turn signal stalk operates with a satisfying and precise click and the knobs for the climate control are round and big and the kind you can operate in winter while wearing gloves.

Sure, the actual seating position behind the wheel is bus-like; the steering wheel itself, while thick, was very slippery; and if you like tight side bolstering in your seats, don't look here.

Head, leg and shoulder room is generous, little storage spots abound, the doors open nice and wide and the cargo area in my five-seat tester had useful little sectional trays under the lift-up cargo floor.

There are even ventilation ducts, positioned high and usefully adjustable, for rear-seat passengers.

For power, buyers get two choices: a 2.4-litre four-banger (162 horsepower) and 2.7-litre V-6 (182 hp). None of the competition offers a V-6 at all.

I found the four-cylinder plenty powerful enough for the usual round-town sprints and merging was just fine for highway runs. It comes standard with a four-speed automatic transmission, while the V-6 has a five-speed autobox. Both can be shifted manually, though for this car, why bother?

Yes, I said car. Tesser and crew like to suggest that the Rondo is "the fusion of car and SUV qualities," but forget all that. The Rondo is a small wagon.

"It's a car," concedes product planning manager Brian Kim, who is a wonderfully straightforward fellow.

In fact, the Rondo rides on the basic mechanical underpinnings of the 2007 Kia Magentis sedan. And those mechanical bits are shared with the Hyundai Sonata and Azera. I mention this because Consumer Reports says the Sonata and Azera are among the most reliable cars you can buy. This Kia is coming from what appears to be a good place.

And frankly, I don't mind the Rondo's looks at all. From the rear, it has a wide stance and the sides are dressed up with chrome door handles. There is lots of glass all around, which suggest openness and certainly makes for excellent outward visibility.

I certainly took the time to look around during my test drive. The Rondo obviously is not for racing. But for running errands, hauling the kids off to hockey practice, loading up with groceries, taking the dog to the vet — the Rondo is just fine for all the household duties of the middle class.

If you want a truly sporty wagon similar in size, the Mazda5 is a better choice, though. The Rondo's steering feels numb compared to the Mazda's, the braking is adequate (four-wheel discs with standard anti-lock), but nothing spectacular. The all-around independent suspension is tuned for straight-ahead comfort and not particularly suited for carving up the twisties.

None of this is unexpected. And it should also be put into context. That context is price.

As Tesser notes, the Rondo has a very nice price advantage over all its main competitors. He pulls out charts to prove the Rondo's edge over the closest comparably equipped Chevrolet HHR. It comes to $2,390, except the Ronda has extra things like a manumatic transmission, standard anti-skid control (electronic stability control or ESC) across the board, side airbags, heated front seats and outside mirrors, and even auto-off headlamps.

Meanwhile, the Rondo's edge over the Chrysler PT Cruise is $1,265; over the Dodge Caliber R/T, $690; the Toyota Matrix XR, $515; and the Mazda5, $100. That's the Mazda5 with seating for six, where the Rondo comparison vehicle is a five-seater. You'll pay more for the Rondo with seven seats.

Also keep in mind this pricing comparison does not take into account all the discounting that is now standard operating procedure in the car business. The Rondo's pricing edge could melt away if deals and handouts are factored into the equation. The Kia people, of course, know this, and they will act accordingly.

Really, though, if you are after an affordable, functional wagon, one with lots of stuff for a fair price, the Rondo should be cross-shopped against all its rivals. It appears to be that good.

Tesser and his mates, of course, think that once you've stepped into a Kia dealer showroom, this upstart South Korean brand has a chance of hooking you and reeling you in.

"When we talk about 'The power to surprise' [Kia's slogan], ... Well, every time somebody comes into one of our showrooms, they say, 'I had no idea.' "

No idea that Kia has a broad range of vehicles, from the subcompact Rio four-door hatchback to the truck-based Sorento SUV with its new and larger V-8. And now there is this Rondo.

Hmm. Imagine what might happen if and when Kia gets those quality scores up there among the average and above-average brands.

PREVIEW

The car is just fine for all the household duties of the middle class

SPECS

TYPE: Mid-size four-door hatchback

PRICE RANGE: $19,995-$25,995

ENGINES: 2.4-litre inline-four, DOHC and 2.7-litre V-6, DOHC

HORSEPOWER/TORQUE: 162 hp/164 lb-ft for the four; 182 hp/182 lb-ft for the V-6

TRANSMISSION: Four-speed automatic and five-speed automatic

DRIVE: Front drive

FUEL ECONOMY (litres/100 km): 11.0 city/7.5 highway for four-cylinder; 11.8 city/7.9 highway for V-6; regular fuel

ALTERNATIVES: Chevrolet HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Dodge Caliber, Toyota Matrix, Mazda5

Loads of room inside
Nice view out the big glass areas
Materials, fit and finish appear to be very good
A lot of stuff for the money
DON'T LIKE

Kia's quality history is still well below average
Numb steering
Indifferent road manners
Flat seats
Slippery steering wheel
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Meow

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 10:36:46 am »
Yeah - I remember living in Finland in 1979-1982, and VW sold a car that's name was a Finnish slang for dung. Guess what - no one bought the cars! When they changed the name, it took a bit of time before people would drive them.  :rofl:

hahaha I would have to buy one. I pick brown too. :rofl:

EricSabourin

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 10:57:00 am »
I also believe the cargo dimensions quoted for the mazda5 are wrong... In the canadiandriver.com review of the mazda5, the cargo volume listed (3rd row folded) is :

Cargo capacity 1256 litres (44.3 litres)(3rd seat folded).
( see canadiandriver Test Drive: 2006 Mazda5 GT )

That was consistent with the specs from mazda.ca back then... perhaps the specs on mazda.ca are wrong now???

Would be nice to get the facts right on this one...

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:47 pm »

2.4 l is the world engine(theta), the 2.7 is the Delta II.

Consider this: Kia, a sister company of South Korean auto maker Hyundai, may be the weakest car brand in Canada.

Not even close.  Kia pounds Mitsubishi, Suzuki, and Subaru in Canada, not to mention most of the main stream luxo brands by volume.

KiaBrent

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 07:00:12 pm »
I'm a Sales Rep at one of Winnipeg's two Kia dealers and we've been told the first Rondos were to have shipped just after the national Dealer's meeting last week.  We're hoping to see the first one...a full load V6 7-seater...in the next week or so.

Lurker, drop me a line, I'll give you a call when it lands.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 09:33:45 pm »
I'm a Sales Rep at one of Winnipeg's two Kia dealers and we've been told the first Rondos were to have shipped just after the national Dealer's meeting last week.  We're hoping to see the first one...a full load V6 7-seater...in the next week or so.

Lurker, drop me a line, I'll give you a call when it lands.

Cool, you should sign up on CTC so we can get some inside news on future Kia products  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 09:56:08 am »
I see your point.  Never is a long time, so maybe 'unlikely' is a better choice of words. 

I'm not a brand or vehicle snob, per se, (I drive a Honda Civic), but the lingering reputation the Koreans have of being the 'cheapest' vehicles on the road is still very much prevalent.  That's the emotional part of it.  The wicked depreciation of the Korean brands is the rational and fiscal part of it.   And, being completely forthright, the part I really don't want to have to deal with would be the continual defense of my car as not being the sh!ttiest brand on the road.   

I'm with you on this one, LoudP.  And I will avoid the use of 'never' as well.  How about 'not in a million years?'  :D

That said, I'm sure we'll be seeing scores of them on the road very shortly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:58:09 am by Brigitte »

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 12:58:27 pm »
Mazda 5 ... Kia Rondo ... can we call this a new segment/class/etc.  The Mazda 5 was often compared to a minivan but I think that's pushing it a little.  After the CUV, we now have the Micro-Van?  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Panzer

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 01:19:27 pm »
Not even close.  Kia pounds Mitsubishi, Suzuki, and Subaru in Canada, not to mention most of the main stream luxo brands by volume.

Duh, the same could be said of Hyundai, Chevy and any other low-priced vehicle series.  Not that I'm saying 'low-priced' is bad or that Kia's bad.  There's just more volume when appealing to the masses.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 01:26:47 pm »
Mazda 5 ... Kia Rondo ... can we call this a new segment/class/etc.  The Mazda 5 was often compared to a minivan but I think that's pushing it a little.  After the CUV, we now have the Micro-Van?  ;D

Mazda dubbed their vehicle as belonging to the "Space Wagon" category, but they didn't keep that phrase when marketing in North America - "MAV - Multi-Activity-Vehicle". Space Wagon sounds cool and appropriate to me - enough with the letters already!

Panzer

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 01:41:36 pm »
Mazda dubbed their vehicle as belonging to the "Space Wagon" category

When people say that, it makes me think of the Pontiac Trans Sport of the mid-90s... Y'know, that big dustbuster-looking thing?   :hurl:

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 02:28:12 pm »

I agree with micro van, it's smaller than a mini van (not that mini vans are small anymore). 
Internal combustion thrust I trust