Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Kia Rondo  (Read 73193 times)

DSL

Re: CD Article: 2007 Kia Rondo
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2007, 01:50:57 pm »
With the new Green Rebate from Transport , I expect this segment to grow. I prefer the exterior looks of the Mazda 5 however the Mazda has only 6 seats compared to to the Rondo's 7 seats. The Mazda5 in Europe/Asia has seven seats,not sure why Mazda doesn't bring that version over to North America. I'm hoping to see more 4 cylinder 7 passenger vehicles in Canada. Hopefully Honda will bring it's new Stream/Latitude and Crossroad vehicles over to Canadian shores and Toyota will bring it WISH over to make this segment more appealing. In the meantime KIA has a strong entry with the Rondo in a market that wants reliable, fuel efficient, and safe people haulers.

DSL :popo:

gottarondo

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2007, 08:03:36 pm »
At the risk of seeming to beat a dead horse by keeping this thread going, here is a nice video clip of the Rondo in action:
http://www.motoringtv.com/testdrive/

We were at the Auto Show yesterday looking at the Mazda 5 again and at other 7-seater SUVs and such, and we came away with no regrets that we'd chosen the Rondo.  The advantages I noticed on this round of inspections were that the Rondo third row seats are very easy to get into and out of (hard in the M5 due to the hinges on the sliding door, and don't even think about getting into them in the Audi Q7 unless I missed something) and easier to deploy than in almost any other car.  And what is it that most car manufacturers have against being able to see out the back of a vehicle these days??  The low floor height of the Rondo also means the cargo area is taller than in many other vehicles.  Cubic footage is one thing, but if you don't have the dimensions the cargo usability is limited.  I will say that other cars have better seats and more driver legroom, but in the Rondo they're well within acceptable range.  Overall we continue to be really happy with this car. 

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2007, 06:57:10 pm »
I'm a new member to this forum, but have been reading the comments for some time and felt it was time for me to join in on the discussions. 
I do not own a Rondo, but as I plan on purchasing a new vehicle in the near future (it will be our first new one in 35 years) I am doing my ground work in preparation.
The vehicles that I am considering are the Matrix, CR-V, Element, Santa Fe and now the Rondo.  I have downloaded the Rondo owners manual from the Canadian Kia site (you can find out a lot about a vehicle from reading one) and became even more interested in it when you can appreciate a lot of the "thought" that has gone into this vehicle and things that no one seems to have mentioned and would be of interest to anyone, like myself looking into this vehicle.  Some of them are: (based on the Canadian EX 5 seater version)
•   fuel filler lid opener on the drivers door (instead of the typical release on the floor)
•   windshield de-icer (wires at the base of windshield behind the wipers)
•   heat ducts at the rear of the centre console
•   heat ducts under the front seats for the rear passengers feet
•   heated exterior mirrors
•   passengers seat that lies flat with rear seat cushion allowing you to put 8' items in
•   illuminating ignition keyhole
•   battery saver function
•   large under floor rear storage (on 5 passenger model)
•   8 cup holders
•   heated front seats
•   auto off headlights
•   fog lights
•   2 dome lights plus map and luggage light
•   double level storage console
•   sunglass holder
•   2 power outlets
•   shopping bag holder on passengers side
•   audio remote control on steering wheel
•   1400 lb vehicle weight capacity (CRV is only 860 and the Element only 675)
•   a removable towing hook
•   inner fuse panel easily accessible at the drivers end of the dash
•   same wheelbase as the Santa Fe
•   anti-whiplash front headrests
•   standard alloy wheels

Plus the more obvious standard features.  However, there was a couple of things that struck me as odd and that is they still have ashtrays and no MP3 player or auxiliary plug in (according to the people I talked to at the Toronto Auto Show, this is being looked into).

I have created a spreadsheet to compare feature of vehicles and also take lots of pictures which I find very helpful to compare side by side on my computer.   I find the vehicle very good value in comparison to its competition, just not as high profile brand as some of the others, but I hope some of this information maybe helpful to anyone reading comments about this vehicle. 

MedicineMan

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2007, 03:02:56 am »
Well, I finally got my Rondo EX Premium 7-seater today through a Vancouver auto broker.  I ordered it about a month ago and the broker said that it might take 6-8 weeks, so I got it a little earlier than expected.

The broker has an office in a dealership that sells used upscale cars (he isn't affiliated with the dealership--they just share the space).  When I entered the building, I immediately felt intimidated because the showroom looked like a funky New York City design studio and everyone there dressed better than I did and looked better than I did. :)  I was surrounded by hot looking cars that I couldn't possibly afford and right in the corner sat my spankin' new Rondo.  (BTW, don't ask me to name those cars, because I'm definitely not a car enthusiast, if that weren't obvious already.)

Call me crazy, I thought the Rondo looked as good as anything there.  In the last few weeks, I had lowered my expectations about the Rondo's exterior beauty after looking at pictures of the Rondo at different websites.  The pictures don't do it justice.  With my expectations so low, I suppose I was bound to be pleasantly surprised.  The chrome accents really stood out and I loved the colour that I had chosen, urban grey.  The interior, however, looked cheaper than I had remembered--but that's probably due to my screwed-up expectations again.

Now that I've had the Rondo for a few hours, here are some of my impressions.

I can't remember what I've said previously about the third row seating, but it's definitely not for tall people.  I'm 6'1" and there's not enough headroom or legroom back there for me.  I can't do anything about the lack of headroom, but I can make enough legroom for myself by moving up the 2nd row seats--but that sacrifices too much 2nd row legroom.  When all seats are in use, I think there's going to be a battle between the people in the 2nd and 3rd rows as they attempt to divvy up the legroom space.

Gottarondo, I also don't understand why car manufacturers are making it harder for drivers to see out the back of vehicles.  I guess having tiny windows in the rear of the vehicle is what's "in" these days.  Thumbs up to the Rondo and its ample glass area.

Like you, I'm not a fan of tinting, either.  I'm glad that the windows didn't come tinted from the factory.  Personally, I think it's dangerous to drive around with tinted windows during the night, especially in Vancouver during those rainy nights when you can barely see the lines on the road.

I had two security concerns about the Rondo.  One, there's no privacy cargo cover for the 7-seater.  Two, the car has an alarm, but it doesn't have one of those blinking alarm lights on the dash.  I could just imagine this happening: some junkie comes along, looks into the back of the car, likes what he sees, notices no alarm light so he breaks a window.  He'll probably run off once the alarm is activated, but I would still have a broken window.

The best solution I could come up with is to buy a tarp that matches the interior colour and use it to cover whatever is in the cargo area.  I also bought two "protected by alarm" stickers to put on the front doors' windows and a fake blinking alarm light to put on the dash.  Okay, am I just being paranoid?  I could be, but this is Vancouver, after all.  Every Vancouverite knows of at least one person who has had his car broken into.

Gottarondo, I noticed that you mentioned in another forum about the lack of advertising for the Rondo.  You're not a hockey fan, are you? :)  That Rondo commercial with the clapping people has been showing seemingly nonstop during games on CBC and TSN for the last few months.  The CBC also pushes ads when they show the game's statistics, so you'll often hear, "Here is the Kia Rondo Game File."  I'm sure most hockey fans are getting tired of it.

So if you ever see a dark grey (almost black, really) Rondo driving around Vancouver, that just might be me.  ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 10:44:48 am »
I agree the exterior is really quite appealing - Mazda5 still sleeker, but it has its own charm and I love the kink in the rear below the window and splashes of chrome. Interior in photos looked very good, in person good but didn't get excited over it. Certainly super value there.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

gottarondo

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2007, 09:40:46 pm »
Congratulations, MM, on your Rondo!  Our cumulative family Rondo sightings are only up to 3, so I look forward to seeing you on the road.  Just keep your passengers under 5'10 and you should be fine!

Conwelpic, you sure do your research; if you only buy every 35 years I see why.  (Would love to know what served you that long).  The fuel filler button on the door is one of my favourite little touches.  I haven't looked at enough other new cars to know if it's unusual.

As for the kink in the back end, Sir A, I can't manage to clear my mind of the person upthread who said it looked like it had been hit with a piece of dimensional lumber  :) so I simply reserve judgement! 

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2007, 12:02:33 am »

Conwelpic, you sure do your research; if you only buy every 35 years I see why.  (Would love to know what served you that long).  The fuel filler button on the door is one of my favourite little touches.  I haven't looked at enough other new cars to know if it's unusual.

If you click on my name and check out my profile you will see a list of some of the vehicles I have owned.  Last time I bought a new vehicle was in 1972 and it was a Citroen GS (living in the UK at the time), since then its only been used vehicles.  You can check back from time to time as will update it with more vehicles I owned once I check out my picture archives to try to remember all the vehicles I have actually owned.

Most of the vehicles I have checked out have a mechanical release catch at the base of the drivers seat by the door, the fuel filler button on the Rondo door was something that stood out to me - I appreciate that someone has put some thought behind some of these  items.

Infrequest Car Buyer

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2007, 06:00:37 pm »
We test drove a Mazda 5 and a Rondo EX from the same Kia lot yesterday.  We're currently Mazda drivers, so we thought it had the edge.   The sliding door is still tops, BUT - for everything else the Rondo won my vote.

the Kia feels like a more solid ride but handles better.  Responsive in turns with lots of kick taking off from red lights on a hill.

fold down the back seats for wagon sized cargo area - easier to do on the Kia, even the handles and pulls are stonger looking and feeling

the cargo area you get with the seats down is one continuous level - no bump or gap when you go from deck to seatback.  Great when you're sliding awkward things in, they don't come to a sudden stop, hook up on the gap and have to be manhandled around.

much better sight lines in the Rondo - a deep right sholder check with my full sized husband in the passenger side rear seat and I still had enough window beyond him to feel confident I didn't have a blind spot.

We keep our cars forever (turned in a 12 year old Sunbird for my current now 9 year old Protege) and will be trading in a 14 year old B2200 truck with the current purchase.  So low resale rate for Kia just isn't an issue.

The one bad spot - incorrect information from the salesman.  Stuff that's on the web site he got wrong!   If we buy, we're going to a different dealer and we'll tell this guy why, after the fact.  

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2007, 06:13:58 pm »
there's no privacy cargo cover for the 7-seater.

one, what can you put in the cargo area if you are using all the seats
get tinted windows, then no one can see in

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2007, 07:42:08 pm »
Interesting review, thanks Infrequent Buyer.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2007, 08:20:28 am »
I'm seeing quite a few of them now. Smartmobiles.

mdxtasy

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2007, 10:29:30 am »

I still rarely see them.....

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2007, 10:12:54 am »
there's no privacy cargo cover for the 7-seater.

one, what can you put in the cargo area if you are using all the seats
get tinted windows, then no one can see in

It is possible to rig up a the privacy cargo cover for the 7 seater model (to use when the 3rd row seats are down for more storage), but there is no point to have it in place when the 3rd seat is in use as they are right up against the hatch window as the storage is place is very limited.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2007, 10:18:39 am »

I still rarely see them.....

MD ya need a BOOSTER seat ta see outta yer BATHTUB Porsche.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

UrbanGirlBlue

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2007, 07:03:33 pm »
I'm going to buy the Rondo EX V6 5 seater this week. Does anyone know if the invoice price is still the same as it was in March when another poster mentioned it as $21,461. I want to get a cargo cover, window tint, a remote start, and the floor mats included with the car. I have been reading LemonAid and realize that all costs are negotiable inluding freight and delivery of $1495, PDI of $413, as well as the options I just listed.  Given that this is the end of the 2007 year, and that the salesman has called me twice and has said that they could probably throw in some goodies, my hope is to get the Rondo for around $23,000, not including PST and GST.  Does this sound like a crazily low figure to you?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
$1500 freight plus $413 PDI? :o
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

UrbanGirlBlue

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2007, 10:15:16 pm »
Yes, $413 PDI plus freight of $1500.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:41 pm »

Yikes! Kia does have Freight of $1,495 but that INCLUDES Kia's suggested dealer PDI charge. The $413 they're claiming is extra pudding profit.

Just about anytime you see Freight/Destination above $1,000, it's a combined manufacturer Freight/PDI charge (the freight non-negotiable and set by the factory - dealer has no margin, and the PDI the suggested amount dealer should charge but is flexible).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:03:21 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2007, 06:09:51 pm »

UrbanGirlBlue - what happened, did you get the Rondo and if so, what sort of deal were able to make?