Author Topic: Michael Richards apologizes for racist rant  (Read 7404 times)

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Michael Richards apologizes for racist rant
« on: November 21, 2006, 10:51:35 am »
'Kramer' apologizes for racist tirade
POSTED: 0249 GMT (1049 HKT), November 20, 2006

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Michael Richards said Monday he spewed racial epithets during a stand-up comedy routine because he lost his cool while being heckled and not because he's a bigot.

"For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I'm deeply, deeply sorry," the former "Seinfeld" co-star said during a satellite appearance for David Letterman's "Late Show."

"I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this," Richards said, his tone becoming angry and frustrated as he defended himself in a clip from the show played on CBS before "Late Show" aired Monday night.

Richards described himself as going into "a rage" over the two audience members who interrupted his act Friday at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Richards responded to the black hecklers with repeated use of the "n word" and profanities.

Jerry Seinfeld, who had issued a statement saying he was "sick over this horrible, horrible mistake" and calling it offensive, was scheduled as a Letterman guest Monday. He encouraged Richards to make a satellite appearance to talk about the incident, a CBS publicist said.

"I'm sure Michael is also sick over this horrible, horrible mistake. It is so extremely offensive. I feel terrible for all the people who have been hurt," Seinfeld said in a statement.

Richards, 57, who played Seinfeld's eccentric neighbor Kramer on the hit 1989-98 sitcom and whose major credit since was a failed 2000 comedy, hadn't spoken publicly about his remarks before the "Late Show." Calls to his representatives were not returned Monday.

A video posted on TMZ.com shows Richards launching into the tirade after two black audience members started shouting at him that he wasn't funny.

Richards retorts: "Shut up! Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f------ fork up your a--."

He then paces across the stage taunting the men for interrupting his show, peppering his speech with racial slurs and profanities.

"You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now mother------. Throw his a-- out. He's a n-----!" Richards shouts before repeating the racial epithet over and over again.

While there is some chuckling in the audience throughout the outburst, someone can be heard gasping "Oh my God" and various people "ooh" after Richards uses the n-word.

Eventually someone says: "It's not funny. That's why you're a reject, never had no shows, never had no movies. `Seinfeld,' that's it."

On Monday, about a half-dozen community activists gathered at the club to denounce Richards' remarks and demand an apology.

"These kind of comments hurt all of us," said protester Lita Sister Herron of the Youth Advocacy Coalition. She called Richards' comments "hate speech."

The protesters also demanded an apology from the Laugh Factory. At a news conference a short time later, club owner Jamie Masada expressed remorse and said Richards will not be back at the club until he says he's sorry.

"This is one thing we don't tolerate. ... I personally apologize. I apologize from my heart," Masada said Monday.

Richards did appear at the club Saturday, without incident, but that was because he had told the club he intended to apologize, according to a Laugh Factory statement Monday.

Calls to Richards' representatives were not returned Monday.

He refused to comment on-camera when reached by CNN, but the network reported he said off-camera he felt sorry for what had happened and had made amends.

Comic Paul Rodriguez, who was at the club, said he thought Richards' remarks crossed the line.

"Once the word comes out of your mouth and you don't happen to be African-American, then you have a whole lot of explaining," he said. "Freedom of speech has its limitations and I think Michael Richards found those limitations."

Rodriguez, also at the news conference, said: "I kept expecting a punch line. It didn't come."

Veteran publicist Michael Levine, whose clients have included famed comedians George Carlin, Sam Kinison and Rodney Dangerfield, called Richards' remarks inexcusable. Comics often face hecklers without losing their cool, he said.

"It's never seen anything like this is my life," Levine said Monday. "I think it's a career ruiner for him. ... It's going to be a long road back for him, if at all."

Daryl Pitts, a Laugh Factory audience member interviewed by CNN, compared the incident to another recent celebrity controversy.

"You think about Mel Gibson and what he said, and put that in the context of this, it's very upsetting," Pitts said, referring to Gibson's anti-Semitic outburst during his arrest for drunken driving.

Scrutiny of Richards' remarks likely will continue but won't match the level prompted by Gibson's behavior because Richards is far less famous, Levine said.

Comedian George Lopez told Los Angeles television station KTLA he thought Richards' lack of stand-up experience may have been a factor.

"You have an actor who is trying to be a comedian who doesn't know what to do when an audience is disruptive," Lopez said. "He's an actor whose show has been off the air, he shouldn't ever be on a stand-up gig."

What do you think? Closet racist or just an out of control rage?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Michael Richards apologizes for racist rant
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 10:53:49 am »
An out of control rage from a closet racist   :P

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:57:27 am »
I'm thinking he lost his cool, then tried to go over the top to be funny, and failed miserably.  Chris Rock does it well; Richards does not, because it doesn't suit him.  That said, he certainly showed poor judgement. 

Lemme ask you this:  Would we be having this conversation if a black comedian had made ugly comments about white people in the audience?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:57:48 am »
^ ^ I agree ^ ^

You can see the video on Youtube.

It almost looks (and sounds) like he was drunk.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 11:00:28 am »
Frustration from the lack of performance on his part. He used to be his best at his unknowing goofiness.

Agree with Brigitte, wouldn't be a big uproar if it was Chris Rock or Russel Peters.

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:05:34 am »
I'm thinking he lost his cool, then tried to go over the top to be funny, and failed miserably.  Chris Rock does it well; Richards does not, because it doesn't suit him.  That said, he certainly showed poor judgement. 

Lemme ask you this:  Would we be having this conversation if a black comedian had made ugly comments about white people in the audience?
No, we wouldn't be.

"It's never seen anything like this is my life," Levine said Monday. "I think it's a career ruiner for him. ... It's going to be a long road back for him, if at all."

What career? The day last episode of Seinfeld aired is the day his career ended.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:06:56 am »

Personally I hate the double standard of this.  Black people can use the "N" word but not white people?  I hate when any person uses it and it shows their limited vocabulary.

If you have seen the movie Deep Cover with Laurence Fishburne there is a seen at the beginning of the movie where they ask him.  "What is the difference between a 'N' and a black man?"
His answer was: "The 'N' would answer that question".

Panzer

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:08:59 am »

No.  Which is why I think the 'n-word' along with some others, has been overly demonized.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no racist and do not approve of racist views, but sometimes society goes to excessive lengths to ban/censure things.  I SO dislike political correctness.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 11:09:58 am »

Good point, in fact the black audiance member who was at the recieving end of this tirade shouted back "you cracker-ass white boy" and no one seems to be mentioning that.

I saw him on Letterman lastnight and I think his comments were genuine despite the fact that the audiance couldn't take him seriously. Jerry had to say "stop laughing, it's not funny" to them to get them to stop.

I think he tried to make a joke out of it, but as Geoge Lopez says, the punchline never came or was poorly delivered.

There is already talk of people boycotting the 7th season of Seinfeld which went on sale today.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:45:51 am »
He totally snapped.  It was actually painful to watch, I kept waiting for him to come out with some clever sharp witted shutdown for the heckler.  It's like his brain shut down.   Its sad really. 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

ghost

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:37 pm »
Brigitte brought up a good point, there is a double standard here. I watched a movie I think Coach Carter and he questioned the black kids if you continue to call amongst yourself N*****r, then why would you expect others not call you that too? Self-respect I suppose.
Also the word Negro means black in the old language.... like Nero in Italian.
People will find the smallest thing to get upset to create a cause for an uproar. From the Youtube video, both parties were yelling profanities against one another.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »

I'm with you on this one.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 05:02:50 pm »

His actions were amoral, irresponsible, reprehensible!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 05:52:23 pm »
Everyone seems niggardly in his defence....................... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:39:12 pm »

I'm with you on this one.

I think he just snapped, just like LoudP said.  And he was probably hammered. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 07:34:08 pm »
Things like this happen to the best of us. I think there should be a law that everyone born on earth should watch "Blazing Saddles" at least once or twice and we wouldn't have this ridiculous exaggeration of political correctness...

I know that when anyone ticks me off, the first word that comes to my mind is "nigger".

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 09:28:57 pm »
I know that when anyone ticks me off, the first word that comes to my mind is "nigger".

Whatever your first word is, rest assured that someone will be deeply offended.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

barrie1

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »
No matter where you are or with whom of what background you really don't need to lower yourself to this level. His mind and act should be trained to think in a more appropriate manner in his stick on stage. He has definitely embarassed himself but hopefully with his apologies already taken place will be forgiven for his outburst. Only time will tell for sure.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 11:32:00 pm »

His actions were amoral, irresponsible, reprehensible!

:fiver:     :)

Offline amorak

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 BMW 3-series 328i xDrive, 2014 Infiniti QX60