Author Topic: 2 Acres  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
2 Acres
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:09:32 pm »
Looking and thinking of buying a home on 2 acres of land in Caledon.  Wrap around porch, garage, trees, colonial approx. 3000 sq feet.   Am I crazy???

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: 2 Acres
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:13:13 pm »
New business must be going well!  That is a very large place... you are crazy ;)

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:27:38 pm »
Looking and thinking of buying a home on 2 acres of land in Caledon.  Wrap around porch, garage, trees, colonial approx. 3000 sq feet.   Am I crazy???

Probably, based upon your past posts.  ;) ;D The property sounds nice though.  :thumbup:

Details??  ???

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:14:09 pm »

Very. :)   I'll try and bring you back to reality.

Why would you ever want to live out there. :P   2 acres is nothing special in that area.  Township properties were all 2 acre minimum before subvisions took the place over.  The traffic in and out of Toronto is horrible because the roads haven't been substantially improved.  Culturally, it's a waste land.  Orangeville will be your friend.  :rofl:  My brother-in-law is there and works at Yonge and Finch and spends most of his life in his car.  Two teenage kids driving all over the place.  His car expenses are horrible.  Wait till gas goes back to $1.20 per litre.  :rofl:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:14:54 pm »
That's going to be long commute.   How big is the garage?

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:15:37 pm »
We thought about it until like artic said, reality set in and we discussed our commuting plans and our children plans and the big question....why?  Why do I want 5 acres?  Why?  For the sake of saying I have land?  What do I do on the land?  I don't farm.  I don't do a lot of outdoor-sy things.....

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:20:20 pm »
We were out looking at a place with an acre and a half today. Why? Because there's no one looking over the fence watching our every move and no one will ever build practically on top of us. The drive would be about 40 minutes for me and that'll be well worth it as we'll avoid urban sprawl for a long while. I look at it as 'wind down time' after work.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:25:38 pm »
My sister & bro-in-law just moved from a house/large lot in Caledon East, on the Innis Lake Road. They had about 1/2 acre or a bit more. He is retired airline pilot and she is retired stew. Actually semi-retired as they still have some part-time earnings. They had only to drive to the Airport so their drive was no problem; plus they didn't have to go at traffic peak times. They moved to a new development in Palgrave north of Bolton and have no land they have to look after.

An acreage can be nice and it will be a lot of work. I'd think long and hard about that one.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:33:39 pm »
We were out looking at a place with an acre and a half today. Why? Because there's no one looking over the fence watching our every move and no one will ever build practically on top of us. The drive would be about 40 minutes for me and that'll be well worth it as we'll avoid urban sprawl for a long while. I look at it as 'wind down time' after work.

Because there's no one looking over the fence watching our every move and no one will ever build practically on top of us

Grow cedars.  :)

If you have children living in the sticks it is hard on them because they are very isolated.  It's becomes all about the car, car, car.  When they get to driving age then it becomes really hard on you, particularily when they don't answer their cells at 2:00 a.m.  :)

mdxtasy

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 10:37:50 pm »
We have a few friends who live on big parcels of land both in the outskirts of Edmonton and Calgary.  All are around my age but most of them don't use the land for anything.  One has a barn that he uses to store his collection of vehicles....but the rest of it just sits....

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 10:39:48 pm »
Grow cedars.  :)

If you have children living in the sticks it is hard on them because they are very isolated.  It's becomes all about the car, car, car.  When they get to driving age then it becomes really hard on you, particularily when they don't answer their cells at 2:00 a.m.  :)

Wifey grew up on 95 acres in the middle of nowhere. YOU try convincing her that a 60x105 foot lot is better............Especially with a nosey neighbour on one side and a massive European two story behind you on a rise with them having little rear yard. It's like being in a fishbowl.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 10:41:10 pm »
I'd like to own more land too, because then I can build a spread-out bunglow.....

But like it's been mentioned, too inconvenient for other reasons.

I actually live on the border with a rural township. It's really nice and quiet. 250 houses there were not supposed to be built are going to be built beside our subdivision and they're going up now so we'll see how long that quietness lasts, but still, so far at least, it retains some of that expansiveness and quietness despite the construction because there's still lots of farmland around....

Perhaps something that like will offer some sort of feeling of "downtime" even if isn't like a real getaway....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 12:28:35 am »

Wifey grew up on 95 acres in the middle of nowhere. YOU try convincing her that a 60x105 foot lot is better............Especially with a nosey neighbour on one side and a massive European two story behind you on a rise with them having little rear yard. It's like being in a fishbowl.

I get the pic.  I wouldn't like that either. 

Wifey grew up on 95 acres in the middle of nowhere

Much different times today.  Cheap cars, cheap repairs, cheap gas.  Empty roads.  Less overall crapola for sure.  The eventual costs of living in the sticks today will far exceed an up grade to a more suitable lot in your area.  Gotta be plenty of treed ravine lots/houses on dead end streets.  The mortgage will go way up either way.   

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 07:32:41 am »
I dont know about your lot Wetson but  my idea of heaven does NOT have a septic tank or a well and DOES have  mains drains and water, natural gas, high speed internet, cable tv, postal service, newspaper  ( and pizza) delivery and SIDEWALKS.

Can you get high speed internet there?  I would imagine you'd need it for the Real estate business.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 09:05:54 am »
Living on a decent size lot is great, if you are willing to spend most of your free time tending to the land. Two acres is quite a bit of grass to mow, even with a riding lawmower...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 11:43:18 am »
One of my Sisters and her husband live in Caledon Village. They purchased the house back in 2002. Nice place, really nice place I should say. Georgian with cedar shake atttached two car garage, beautiful 1.5 acre lot with pool, mature trees all around, workshop for all their toys, in a subdivision of similar residences, town water, cable, etc. God knows how much it's worth. She use to commute to Yonge and Eglington and he to Stayner and back each day. She now teaches and U of G and has a shorter commute, he still drives to Stayner 6 days a week!! :o. On his day off he takes care of yard work in the morning and watches Nascar in the afternoon. Been this way for 20 some years. No kids.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 08:45:44 pm »
  "Green Naggers is"
  " tha place fer me"
  "GREEN Knackers"
   "Is the place "
   "to be or not 2Acre're"
   "Shake yer Speare"
   "Or Pig Out"
   "On yer Nakerage"
   "Nude Yawk is"
   "The place ta be"
   "If'n yer daddie's"
   "A Wall street walker"
   "ooh baybee"
   "That's the place ta be"......................Income Trusts are the place ta be!!!! :stick:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 08:56:22 pm »
Why settle for 2 acres when you have 340 acres in Manitoba for around the same price?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 09:04:17 pm »
Wot a RIP_ORFF!!!! :rofl2: ::) :P...

wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »

My parents live 4km out of GP on 4 acres. They're house is huge and probably two acres of it is treed (they're kind of surrounded...its beee-oootiful). Anyways, after 6 years of living on my own I moved back in for a short time and got rid of the Escape. I felt SOOOOO stranded. I ended up running into town every day, just to see civilization and then running back. Came in handy when it came to running my leg in the Death Race in August but....whew! You go squirrelly!

On the upside, the space was nice. Riley liked being able to run until he was exahusted and still not touch every part of the yard and my parents have a Great Pyranese (sp?) that followed him around and started whining when he got too far from the house. It was fabulous that way....but the isolation!