Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Ford Edge  (Read 10602 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Ford Edge
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:43:48 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Ford Edge

2007 Ford EdgeBased on the Mazda6 unit body platform, the new five-passenger Ford Edge is similar in size to the Nissan Murano, says Senior Editor, Paul Williams.  A 230-hp 3.5-litre V6 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard, and both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models are offered.  "It's a very appealing vehicle that offers style, power, practicality and fuel economy," says Williams, but driving dynamics "are not particularly performance-oriented like the Mazda CX-7," he says. Prices start at $32,999.     More...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Re: CD Article: 2007 Ford Edge
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:01:31 am »
Not bad.  I think Ford will sell a truckload of these.  I do think however, that it has distinctive looks (at least from the pictures).  Now, the question is will the looks stand up over time after the masses buy this vehicle and legions of Edge's hit the rental car circuit. 

I think most impressive are the standard features, particularly those safety features.  I like the stand alone options and I think they are priced reasonable.  I like the availability of standalone AWD, mooroof, backup sensors and the tow option.     

Would I take the Edge over a RAV?  Hard to say, but at least Ford will now get to see my face in a dealer, and that's a start.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

mdxtasy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:25:03 am »
Aside from the instrument dials, this car looks really good.  I think this will also be quite a winner on the sales charts.  Looks are fantastic, and the content looks high. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:34:09 am »
I've seen both the Edge and MKX up close and personel and am impressed.  :thumbup:
I forsee Escape sales nosediving even though it's slightly more expensive.
Comparted to the Mazda line up it's not as sporting in nature as a CX-7 but has good power and equally good 6 sp auto. Interesting to see how it will do next to Mazda CX-9.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 10:40:40 am »
Not bad looking  :thumbup: But that front grill that Ford seems to be stuck on these day dosen't help its looks IMO :)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 11:52:46 am »
Think it looks good and will sell well - as the Fusion has shown people will buy Ford product if done right.

But it's in a mirky area for the Cdn market. It's priced well against larger competitors like Murano/Highlander which helps, but isn't as fuel efficient or inexpensive as the 4-banger import SUVs like RAV4 or the V6 Santa Fe. It's not sporty like the CX-7 but appeals to a wider audience with style which is good. It's RX 300 right-sized for couples and females to find appealing, but not quite big enough for the new crop of crossovers like CX-9, Veracruz, Acadia/Outlook. So it's smack dab in between right where SUV sales have plunged in the last year. Again, think it'll do well, mostly because, well, it's sort of unique where it sits in the market IMO - a Murano-ish vehicle for thousands less.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

UDB

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 12:44:45 pm »
Too way expensive.   In the long way, these cross-overs are supposed to replace minivan.  For the last past years, we used to see minivan FWD priced around 20000K$ for base model.   Now they asking 33000$ for a FWD version  ??? ???  The problem is not only at Ford but also GM with their Acadia, Outlook, etc   IMO, the FWD versions for these cross-overs should start around 26-27000$.

Remember the first of the Pacifica.  They were asking for 45000$ for that!!!!!   A year later, it was selling for 30000$ as a base price and sales are still struggling.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:00:06 pm »
Certainly looks decent enough but the price tag that cheap. I suspect Ford will find it hard to ask for a premium price. Probably sell a pile in the US though where they tend to buy more expensive cars.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 02:30:28 pm »
The Murano is one of the best looking SUVs on the road.  This is a far cry from that...  ugh.

Still, I expect they'll sell.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 02:32:47 pm »
Too way expensive.   In the long way, these cross-overs are supposed to replace minivan.  For the last past years, we used to see minivan FWD priced around 20000K$ for base model.   Now they asking 33000$ for a FWD version  ??? ???  The problem is not only at Ford but also GM with their Acadia, Outlook, etc   IMO, the FWD versions for these cross-overs should start around 26-27000$.

Yeah, I have no idea how the domestics think these things will replace minivans. Sure, a small percentage of buyers may convert, but the only thing that can replace an aging minivan is a minivan.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »
Think it looks good and will sell well - as the Fusion has shown people will buy Ford product if done right.

But it's in a mirky area for the Cdn market. It's priced well against larger competitors like Murano/Highlander which helps, but isn't as fuel efficient or inexpensive as the 4-banger import SUVs like RAV4 or the V6 Santa Fe. It's not sporty like the CX-7 but appeals to a wider audience with style which is good. It's RX 300 right-sized for couples and females to find appealing, but not quite big enough for the new crop of crossovers like CX-9, Veracruz, Acadia/Outlook. So it's smack dab in between right where SUV sales have plunged in the last year. Again, think it'll do well, mostly because, well, it's sort of unique where it sits in the market IMO - a Murano-ish vehicle for thousands less.

I think it will actually do better in Canada than in the US just because of its size being a little smaller than the new breed about to hit the market. The new GMs are so heavy real world fuel economy will likely suffer significantly.

I like the exterior design a lot except for the front; it is a little too Mad Max for me. Unfortunately, Ford interpretation of  "Bold Design" is a large (and tacky) fake chrome grill... Too bad. I'm not a huge fan of the instrument panel either, kinda space ship looking design.

That said, its look and size are more appealing to me than the RAV4 is and as Loudpedal stated, this may get me to visit a Ford dealer when the better half is ready to migrate from a car to a SUV. I really want to learn more about the AWD system though; Ford has stated they were working on its own reactive FWD biased version as opposed to using the Volvo Haldex variation; and that makes me very skeptical about the article statement the AWD was so much better in the slalom test. Ford AWD systems have never been... anything exceptional IMO.

At the end, my real hope is for the Mazda CX-9 to look better, be sportier and a better rounded product though at a higher price... But the Edge is a very welcome new vehicle and should help Ford do considerably better financially.  :thumbup: And hey, maybe it will turn out to be the Ford version of the K-Car and save the company... ;D

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:35:37 pm »
In the long way, these cross-overs are supposed to replace minivan.

I don't think anyone from Ford or, anyone else in the know, has said that a 5-seat Edge is intended to replace a 7 or 8 seat minivan. Ford may be in the process of phasing out its current minivan but other products like the Fairlane are in the pipeline to take the minivan's place.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

UDB

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 12:36:14 pm »
In the long way, these cross-overs are supposed to replace minivan.

I don't think anyone from Ford or, anyone else in the know, has said that a 5-seat Edge is intended to replace a 7 or 8 seat minivan. Ford may be in the process of phasing out its current minivan but other products like the Fairlane are in the pipeline to take the minivan's place.

Minivan sales are going down since few years espeicially in the US.  As you know automobile has cycle.   At one time, big coupe, big wagon were popular in the 80's then the minivan came in.  IMO, the minivan cycle is near the end as long as the Midsize SUV (Explorer, Envoy).   Cross-over still take over the next years.  I know it's bizarre to say because minivan offer more space for 7 passagers than an a cross-over but cross-overs is just another cycle (trend or fashion) in the automobile era.

I think the Fairlane is suppose to replace the actual Freestyle.

nefcanuck

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
Given the fact that the Freestar is being killed, this leaves the Edge to carry the non truck multi-people mover title until Ford can come up with something to replace it.

At $33K CDN for an admittedly well equppied base model, I can hear the ghostly echos of the Pacifica intriduction ringing in my ears though.  I'd certainly be willing to look at it if I were in the market for something of that nature but the price of admission is a tad steep.

With Ford deciding to kill the Focus wagon with the redesign coming for MY '08, they have only the Escape and the Edge, not good enough and it'll show on Ford's bottom line IMO.

NefCanuck

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 01:26:30 pm »
Don't forget about the Freestyle

nefcanuck

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 01:37:42 pm »

Oops my bad  :-[ but given how Ford has apparently forgotten about it as well... can you blame me? :rofl:

NefCanuck

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 03:07:50 pm »

Oops my bad  :-[ but given how Ford has apparently forgotten about it as well... can you blame me? :rofl:

NefCanuck
Due MY2008 http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/10708_LVZENSMMMGROG.jpg

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 03:18:53 pm »

NefCanuck
Due MY2008 http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/10708_LVZENSMMMGROG.jpg

Any major changes on the 2008 Freestyle? Are they still gonna stick with the CVT?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:45:27 pm »
The Freestyle is crap and IMO irrelavent - I'm suprised they sold any (I suspect they were deeply discounted)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 04:20:37 pm »
I went to an auction when we were disposing of my wifes mother's things and a friend had bought an armoir there expecting to put it in one of this type of vehicle. Youve guessed it...no way. We were in our standard dodge minivan and only use the front seats when we dont need more and it ate the armoir up and we were able to deliver it for our friend. There is no way that any of these vehicles will replace the minivan. I have not looked at the weight but they probably weigh more and are in no respect as innovative and usefull. I agree the price is way too high and it will only sell on style and swank. Why you need as large a tachometer as the speedo on an automatic truck, or any vehicle, contiues to baffle me. You need to know your speed but you have absolutely no need for rpm data. You can't do anything with it anyway. I know I am fighting a loosing battle. Stylists and spinners seem to rule.