Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Chrysler Sebring  (Read 17169 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Chrysler Sebring
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:13:15 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Chrysler Sebring

2007 Chrysler SebringThe redesigned 2007 Chrysler Sebring is light-years ahead of its current namesake, particularly in terms of chassis sophistication and interior refinement, reports Bob McHugh.  As well, its base price of $22,995 is almost $2,000 cheaper than the 2006 model, he says.  The new Sebring "could loosen the vice-grip that both Honda Accord and Toyota Camry have on the family sedan market," he believes.          More...

Mitlov

Re: CD Article: 2007 Chrysler Sebring
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:58:17 am »
I never thought I'd say this, but: gosh, its new competitor from Saturn really looks a whole lot classier and upscale than this car does.

Chrysler really really botched this car's looks.  And this is coming from a guy who really likes how the 300, Crossfire, and even Pacifica look.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 11:06:51 am »
Considering this is a family vehicle, I'm not so sure the rear seats headrests (which look non-removable) are a good thing.   Anyone who has LATCH safety strap child seat might as well look at another car.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:51:08 am »
This looks like a promising mid-sizer.   The rear headrests must come out somehow.  Either that or the top tether just goes over it and anchors. 

Definitely looks better on paper than the current model and it's cheaper too.  Looks much more upscale.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

nefcanuck

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »
Read the article and must say that the write up certainly makes me curious as to try the car out.  Not sure that the four banger would be my first choice though.  From the article it appears that one must really push the car if you need to do any serious passing maneuvers.

It'll be interesting to see just how many cars local dealers bring in at the lowest price point.  One thing I've noticed esp. lately is that new car launches only seem to be followed with dealer lots full of mid to high end models.  While this makes the car an attractive option to look at, the sticker shock drives people away who were enticed by the cars low starting proce to take a look at the car in the first place (Recent example would be, ironically enough, the Dodge Calibre, finding a base model Calibre was impossible initally)

NefCanuck

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:04:37 pm »
This car didn't fare as well in Edmunds review. The conclusion was an average car with middling performance credentials. See by yourself.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=116869/pageNumber=1
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:11:38 pm by Benhaze »

ScoobyDriver

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:57:08 am »
This car is BORING!  I mean when's the last time you heard anybody say... "Wow - look at that Sebring!"  It's the minivan of the mid-size car world.  If I'm going to give up and get a family car with no character I might as well buy a minivan.  At least then I'm going to be able to enjoy all the space and versatility to go along with my dull vehicle.

Blah....

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 11:31:09 pm »
Inside the car reminds me of a Buick. Pretty blah and bland IMO.

This car is BORING!  I mean when's the last time you heard anybody say... "Wow - look at that Sebring!" 
Blah....

Twice i've heard people say that actually. lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:34:42 pm by RunsinLight »

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 08:10:14 am »
The design may be questionable, but did we expect anything less from DaimlerChrylser?

Boring or not, these things will sell just like the current gen Sebring did. I mean, not ALL cars can be geared towards us auto enthusiasts. The regular joe who wants to take his family out to supper and then head back home after will find this car perfectly suitible.

I predict seeing these in rental car lots soon.

mdxtasy

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 08:25:26 am »
Cheap, roomy, and conservative in design, the perfect formula for rental fleets.  The car does nothing for me, but like BB says, it's not an enthusiast oriented vehicle.  Basic transportation....are there better cars out there that do the A-B thing better?  You bet....but it's a middle of the road car that willl sell here and there.  Not a best seller, but a car to fight for the leftovers after people decide a Camry and Accord or a Mazda 6, or a Hyundai Sonata, or a Nissan Altima etc isn't for them.  It's not as nice as the Fusion in my eyes, and to me....and the midsize market is so competitive. 

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:41:14 pm »
I think we are being a little harsh here. Though I am not a fan either, it is too early to put down this car, especially the 3.5L with the 6-speed auto. But shame on Chrysler for coming out with 2007 MY cars equipped with 4-speed auto.  ::)

Wolfe

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:28 pm »
Cheap, roomy, and conservative in design, the perfect formula for rental fleets.  The car does nothing for me, but like BB says, it's not an enthusiast oriented vehicle.  Basic transportation....are there better cars out there that do the A-B thing better?  You bet....but it's a middle of the road car that willl sell here and there.  Not a best seller, but a car to fight for the leftovers after people decide a Camry and Accord or a Mazda 6, or a Hyundai Sonata, or a Nissan Altima etc isn't for them.  It's not as nice as the Fusion in my eyes, and to me....and the midsize market is so competitive. 

:rofl: I think you nailed the position it will occupy in the market exactly. I'm sure Chrysler had higher hopes than that though.

I sat in a top of the line model and the leather felt really cheap and nasty.

ScoobyDriver

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 09:05:20 am »
I agree as well.  I hope I never get to the point where a Sebring is high on my list of vehicles I'm considering purchasing.  Would I try it as a rental? - yes.  Would I like one in my driveway? - no.

:rofl: I think you nailed the position it will occupy in the market exactly. I'm sure Chrysler had higher hopes than that though.

I sat in a top of the line model and the leather felt really cheap and nasty.

Shemp

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 09:42:30 am »

Besides cheap,( as in price or materials? ), you have just described 2/3s of the mid size market. Thats what growing families are looking for.The Camry and accord are hardly enthusiast vehicles.I like the styling of the Avenger more but interior wise it looks fine.

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 04:02:41 pm »
Besides cheap,( as in price or materials? ), you have just described 2/3s of the mid size market. Thats what growing families are looking for.The Camry and accord are hardly enthusiast vehicles.
They're not aimed at the enthusiast per se, but they do ooze design quality, reliability, and sophistication.  These are things enthusiasts notice and appreciate.

Shemp

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 04:23:41 pm »
Besides cheap,( as in price or materials? ), you have just described 2/3s of the mid size market. Thats what growing families are looking for.The Camry and accord are hardly enthusiast vehicles.
They're not aimed at the enthusiast per se, but they do ooze design quality, reliability, and sophistication.  These are things enthusiasts notice and appreciate.

Well I wouldn't say quality and reliability to loudly about the toyota, Honda does have that.  I always thought it was about the driving experience.

mdxtasy

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 11:16:14 pm »
This car offers value.  Families like that.  Less into cars means more into other things.  But it's going to be a big task to take on the big sellers from the Japanese makers.  The new Camry seems to be doing well, and a new Accord should be coming shortly...as is an Altima etc.  There's so much competition that you really need a competitive advantage or a niche on your side to sell well....

Camry/Accord offers that proven track record of reliability and fit and finish.  These cars are very well thought out and executed

Altima offers that great V6 in a pretty spacious cabin.  It's got some funky looks too.

Se brings to the table value and a tidy package.  Looks alright and has everything it needs on paper to be competitive. 

I've never driven a Sebring....and from the sounds of the article, it may offer something more than the previous DC offerings.

Greg B.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:55:07 pm »
I've started seeing more and more of these running around on the streets here. Not huge numbers, but enough so that they are not uncommon. Every time I see one, I ask myself: what were they thinking? This car is seriously ugly. It should never have been let out of the design studio. Chrysler went from being a design leader a few years ago to a company with some of the ugliest cars in its lineup across the board.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 10:56:22 pm »
...and the midsize market is so competitive. 

Agreed. If I were in this market, my thoughts would be like this:

Accord: No brainer.
Camry: Ditto, a bit softer.
Mazda 6: Less frumpy than above. MS6 :bow2: available. Wagon also.
Altima: VQ :bow:
Sonata: Camry for $3k less.
Fusion: Classy looks, probably big discounts, competitive.
Legacy: AWD legend. Safe, reliable. Wagon available.
Passat: I'll take a 2.0T Wagon please.

Sebring: ??? ??? ???
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Shemp

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 08:03:52 am »
...and the midsize market is so competitive. 

Agreed. If I were in this market, my thoughts would be like this:

Accord: No brainer.
Camry: Ditto, a bit softer.
Mazda 6: Less frumpy than above. MS6 :bow2: available. Wagon also.
Altima: VQ :bow:
Sonata: Camry for $3k less.
Fusion: Classy looks, probably big discounts, competitive.
Legacy: AWD legend. Safe, reliable. Wagon available.
Passat: I'll take a 2.0T Wagon please.

Sebring: ??? ??? ???

No Aura??? Car of the year doesn't deserve consideration???   >:( ???