Poll

Does this device really work or just another Dealer rip off?

rip off
17 (63%)
really works
2 (7.4%)
don't know
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: SYM-TECH Electronic Rust Control Module  (Read 72209 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: SYM-TECH Electronic Rust Control Module
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 08:43:01 pm »
I remember considering something similar 20 years ago for my 1972 Datsun 510. Seemed a bit dodgy at that time, and if they really worked they should have been a proven item by now.

karlr

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 09:55:37 am »
Thanks for all the responses.

I decided to pass on the electronic rust control unit and go with Krown - seems to me that if it was as good as they are advertising they would have some testing data to back up their claims and that they would publish this data in order to sell more of these units.  I also would think that they would be advertised and sold for use on older cars to keep them from rusting too - but they don't. Strike three is that you can only get this particular unit if you buy it through the car dealership - so lets see, the dealership makes money on it, the seller/installer makes money on it, the manufacturer makes money on it - probably costs $100 to make - everyone involved make good money on it - and in 5 to 10 years when the warranty claims start coming in these guys will be nowhere to be found, or am I just another pessamist?

Anyhow I've read that the Krown on the Queensway is a good one to go to - does anyone have any information on how good the one in Brampton or Orangeville is?

Karl

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 10:24:39 am »
Thanks for all the responses.

I decided to pass on the electronic rust control unit and go with Krown - seems to me that if it was as good as they are advertising they would have some testing data to back up their claims and that they would publish this data in order to sell more of these units.  I also would think that they would be advertised and sold for use on older cars to keep them from rusting too - but they don't. Strike three is that you can only get this particular unit if you buy it through the car dealership - so lets see, the dealership makes money on it, the seller/installer makes money on it, the manufacturer makes money on it - probably costs $100 to make - everyone involved make good money on it - and in 5 to 10 years when the warranty claims start coming in these guys will be nowhere to be found, or am I just another pessamist?

Anyhow I've read that the Krown on the Queensway is a good one to go to - does anyone have any information on how good the one in Brampton or Orangeville is?

Karl

does anyone have any information on how good the one in Brampton or Orangeville is?

I would think the smaller the shop the better.  It is so hard to tell from appearances though.  If owner is actually spraying that is a good sign. If customer can view the operation thru a window or whatever then even better.

For best results remove or displace trunk liners and trunk lid liner if equipped.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:03 pm »
I decided to pass on the electronic rust control unit and go with Krown.

Karl

Good move and no, I don't work for Krown.

We've (not I, but the other people at work) have done extensive testing on a few products and the Krown came out on top and by that I mean it did very well...salt spray chambers, ability to creep, the works.

Make sure they use the Krown T-40 (honey coloured) and not the Krown T-32 (red/pink coloured) product. Both are good, but the T-40 is thicker and does not wash off over time as easily. That is particularly important on the undersides of the chassis. Yet the T-40 being a bit thicker flows/creeps so it can be used on interior panels.

I use Krown T-40 and spray it myself on my own vehicles.

There are numerous areas that you don't need to drill holes in...you look for them... rubber plugs on the underside of the rocker panels, where wires enter the B pillar, etc. You have to advise the service tech at Krown before they are let loose with the drill. I have no holes drilled as I remove all my interior trim panels.

My car isn't old enough to see the results at 7 years, but I can tell you the bottom and insides are well coated with zero rust.

What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

karlr

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:13 am »
I decided to pass on the electronic rust control unit and go with Krown.

Karl

Good move and no, I don't work for Krown.

We've (not I, but the other people at work) have done extensive testing on a few products and the Krown came out on top and by that I mean it did very well...salt spray chambers, ability to creep, the works.

Make sure they use the Krown T-40 (honey coloured) and not the Krown T-32 (red/pink coloured) product. Both are good, but the T-40 is thicker and does not wash off over time as easily. That is particularly important on the undersides of the chassis. Yet the T-40 being a bit thicker flows/creeps so it can be used on interior panels.

I use Krown T-40 and spray it myself on my own vehicles.

There are numerous areas that you don't need to drill holes in...you look for them... rubber plugs on the underside of the rocker panels, where wires enter the B pillar, etc. You have to advise the service tech at Krown before they are let loose with the drill. I have no holes drilled as I remove all my interior trim panels.

My car isn't old enough to see the results at 7 years, but I can tell you the bottom and insides are well coated with zero rust.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, you said that you spray your cars yourself.  Could you tell me how to do this - I have 5 vehicles which I'd like to get done - gets a little pricey at $100+ each every year (I guess there is no warranty if you do it yourself but if it doesn't rust who needs a warranty).  I do most of my own repairs on my vehicles and I think I could handle this too.  Where do you get the product and how much does it cost?  What equipment is required?  (I have an air compressor.) Any other hints or tips would be appreciated.

Kiwisdaddy

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 10:25:12 am »
I bought my pre-owned 2005 Ford Escape in 2006 with 20,000km. The day I bought it, I had the dealership ad an aftermarket trailer hitch and a Rust Control Module.
My research of these Modules led me to believe that there was something to them, due in part the fact that the Canadian Coast Guard and Navy have them on their vessels.
While it is true that the vehicle needs to be grounded for the Module to actually work, (for our vehicles that means the tires have to be in water,) winter time is when we need protection the most, (salt & water) and when the tires are wet most of the time.
In conclusion, that cheap hitch I added-on five years ago should by now be rusted beyond recognition, but it looks like the day I had them install it.
My vehicle's overall condition is excellent, and you would have to be hard pressed to see any rust anywhere.
Now whether the Rust Module has anything to do with it or not I don't know... What I do know from experience, is that usually my cars show their age, particularly with our Canadian winters and Ontario salted roads.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:46:32 am by Kiwisdaddy »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:08 am »
I bought my pre-owned 2005 Ford Escape in 2006 with 20,000km. The day I bought it, I had the dealership ad an aftermarket trailer hitch and a Rust Control Module.
My research of these Modules led me to believe that there was something to them, due in part the fact that the Canadian Coast Guard and Navy have them on their vessels.
While it is true that the vehicle needs to be grounded for the Module to actually work, (for our vehicles that means the tires have to be in water,) winter time is when we need protection the most, (salt & water) and when the tires are wet most of the time.
In conclusion, that cheap hitch I added-on five years ago should by now be rusted beyond recognition, but it looks like the day I had them install it.
My vehicle's overall condition is excellent, and you would have to be hard pressed to see any rust anywhere.
Now whether the Rust Module has anything to do with it or not I don't know... What I do know from experience, is that usually my cars show their age, particularly with our Canadian winters and Ontario salted roads.

I highly doubt it's your  rust control module. My Wife has had her escape since June 2003 and it still shows  no sign of rust. Same for the trailer hitch installed. I'm afraid you purchased some snake oil.
BTW, Ships use sacrificial zinc anodes to keep their hulls/drive gear from rusting.
Railton

Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Kiwisdaddy

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 10:49:54 am »

I highly doubt it's your  rust control module. My Wife has had her escape since June 2003 and it still shows  no sign of rust. Same for the trailer hitch installed. I'm afraid you purchased some snake oil.
BTW, Ships use sacrificial zinc anodes to keep their hulls/drive gear from rusting.
Railton

I would believe that, except that my brother-in-law added that similar hitch, and his is a "train wreck", also no module...Who knows?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 10:53:34 am »

Railton

I would believe that, except that my brother-in-law added that similar hitch, and his is a "train wreck", also no module...Who knows?
Does he drive an Escape too?
Railton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:15 am »
...I THO'T this THREAD WOULDA RUSTED BY NOW...

shows ya wot A'NODE................. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

Pseudo physics. Or lack of understanding of physics at work here.

For a sacrificial anode to work you need a closed circuit. And your wet tires first of all isn't very conductive. Secondly, only your tires are wet so there's no closed circuits. Sacrificial anode needs the structure to be either submerged in water, or buried in soil where theres a pathway for positive ions to migrated to the protected metal which has excess electrons from the anode to complete the circuit.

Those modules do no such thing. There's no circuit. They claim they induce through capacitive effect a negative potential in the protected metal. While that might be true it does nothing to protect against rust. As the negative potential is also imparted to the droplets of water on your car. As a result the relative potential between the metal and that water remains unchanged an thus, rusting continues unabated.

Kiwisdaddy

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 10:54:01 am »
Sounds like you've got enough here to sue over misrepresentation!

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »
All I've ever heard about "electronic rustproofing" is that it's a waste of money and it doesn't work.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAMColumns/20110127/pat-foran-blog-110127/

"There are electronic rust control devices for sale on the market. Some car dealers have been selling them for as much as $800 or they can be purchased in automotive supply stores for as little as $150. According to CAA -- and those in the oil spray business -- electronic devices offer limited protection and are not recommended"

Go to Krown instead.