Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit  (Read 170372 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit
« Reply #420 on: May 04, 2007, 05:04:03 pm »
It's funny but it seems the #1 reason for people liking sedans is "I can hide my stuff in teh trunk" What's so different about a hatch?  It comes with a cover and acts just like a sedan ... until you need the hatch space than it is a bonus.

I don't understand ....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 04, 2007, 05:08:24 pm »
Hey SAM how was the protege in comparison to the 3?  I don't remember Mazda having such strong sales.

That's the thing. Everyone attributes all the success to the 3, but the Protegé was already a very strong seller in Canada. Big boost came in 2002 when the Protegé5 came on the scene timed with the sedan getting a mild freshening adding more equipment and sportier trim levels. Hence why Mazda Canada felt it necessary to have the 3 launch adds (print, poster, and I believe TV) mention the Protegé so buyers made the connection and transition smoothly - I think they were nervous. Pretty sure back then Protegé was the 3rd best selling car (remember the Cavalier/Sunfire were around back then). Don't recall exactly, but it was no slouch, that's for sure.

The Civic vs Mazda3 war is really heating up in Canada.
Sadly, VWs Rabbit doesn't have a chance to come close due to limited units for Canada.

Just wondering, does the Hatch-only style put off buyers?

I see far more Maz3 sedans than Hatches...just wondering if that kind of buyer  is preferential to it.

To most customers, it does.
The North american market has a stronger preference towards sedans over hatchbacks/wagons.

And since the Mazda3 sport hatch is based on the Mazda3 sedan, the Mazda3 sedan is less expensive than the hatch.

But for VW the Jetta is based on the Rabbit, so the Jetta is more expensive than the Rabbit.

VW uses the Jetta City as the Mazda3 sedan competitor, and the MKV Jetta against the Mazda6.

Correct me if I am wrong:
Jetta/Golf/Eos/Beetle = A-Platform
Passat/Touraeg = B-Platform?

Anyways, with regards to the VW vs Mazda thing, doesn't it seem like the Jetta City has a rather tough time going against the Mazda 3 sedan? Its a much older design and it shows; about the only thing it beats the 3 on is the price IIRC.

The Rabbit can certainly go up against the Mazda 3 and win, body style notwithstanding, it seems to me like VW missed the happy-target with Canadians. On one hand the City Jetta is too downscale and "old". On the other hand the new Jetta is too upscale and pricey. The Rabbit doesn't come as a sedan. Between those you lose a lot of the (very large) Civic/Corolla/Mazda 3 Sedan buying demographic.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 04, 2007, 05:12:44 pm »
Hey SAM how was the protege in comparison to the 3?  I don't remember Mazda having such strong sales.

That's the thing. Everyone attributes all the success to the 3, but the Protegé was already a very strong seller in Canada. Big boost came in 2002 when the Protegé5 came on the scene timed with the sedan getting a mild freshening adding more equipment and sportier trim levels. Hence why Mazda Canada felt it necessary to have the 3 launch adds (print, poster, and I believe TV) mention the Protegé so buyers made the connection and transition smoothly - I think they were nervous. Pretty sure back then Protegé was the 3rd best selling car (remember the Cavalier/Sunfire were around back then). Don't recall exactly, but it was no slouch, that's for sure.

Sadly, VWs Rabbit doesn't have a chance to come close due to limited units for Canada.

I see far more Maz3 sedans than Hatches...just wondering if that kind of buyer  is preferential to it.

The North american market has a stronger preference towards sedans over hatchbacks/wagons.

And since the Mazda3 sport hatch is based on the Mazda3 sedan, the Mazda3 sedan is less expensive than the hatch.

But for VW the Jetta is based on the Rabbit, so the Jetta is more expensive than the Rabbit.

VW uses the Jetta City as the Mazda3 sedan competitor, and the MKV Jetta against the Mazda6.

Anyways, with regards to the VW vs Mazda thing, doesn't it seem like the Jetta City has a rather tough time going against the Mazda 3 sedan? Its a much older design and it shows; about the only thing it beats the 3 on is the price IIRC.

The Rabbit can certainly go up against the Mazda 3 and win, body style notwithstanding, it seems to me like VW missed the happy-target with Canadians. On one hand the City Jetta is too downscale and "old". On the other hand the new Jetta is too upscale and pricey. The Rabbit doesn't come as a sedan. Between those you lose a lot of the (very large) Civic/Corolla/Mazda 3 Sedan buying demographic.

The MKIV Golf/Beetle/Jetta was on the same platform.
The MKV Rabbit/Jetta/EOS is on another platform.

I doubt VW Canada would bring out a City Beetle.
Sales volume just doesn't justify making more variations.
They already upgraded the engine and transmission, AND lowered the price for 2007.

The Passat is an extended Jetta platform with longer wheelbase.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 05:22:36 pm by JSCC »
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 04, 2007, 05:14:42 pm »
It's funny but it seems the #1 reason for people liking sedans is "I can hide my stuff in teh trunk" What's so different about a hatch?  It comes with a cover and acts just like a sedan ... until you need the hatch space than it is a bonus.

I don't understand ....

It's an irrational statement.
Plus people say the sedan is more elegant and hatchbacks are econbox.  ???
I don't see A3/1 series/B-class econ at all.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 04, 2007, 05:20:58 pm »

Ah, so the Beetle is still on the old platform?

I don't understand ....

It's an irrational statement.
Plus people say the sedan is more elegant and hatchbacks are econbox.  ???
I don't see A3/1 series/B-class econ at all.

I'm actually warming up more to the Hatch style, but only if it says "GTI" on it.

Will have to see how the world oil situation is in 5 years. If we're on the brink of eschewing gasoline engines forever I'm going to be like ovr50 and BUY A BMW NOW. :)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 04, 2007, 05:24:22 pm »
UPDATE:

Sales volume just doesn't justify making more variations.
They already upgraded the engine and transmission, AND lowered the price for 2007.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2007, 05:27:37 pm »
Will have to see how the world oil situation is in 5 years. If we're on the brink of eschewing gasoline engines forever I'm going to be like ovr50 and BUY A BMW NOW. :)

China found a new oil field under the sea today and so by increased their reserve by 50%, but gas pices still went up, go figure. ???

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2007, 05:30:10 pm »

China found a new oil field under the sea today and so by increased their reserve by 50%, but gas pices still went up, go figure. ???

50% of Chinese oil reserves is how much in the big picture ???

(honest question)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2007, 06:44:22 pm »

50% of Chinese oil reserves is how much in the big picture ???

(honest question)

No clue.
Just know that Warren Buffert is $2.9 Billion more richer today because of the Chinese Oil company stocks he holds.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 04, 2007, 06:45:11 pm »
He should donate some money to me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #430 on: May 05, 2007, 11:52:34 am »
 Musta been an EX OCTOPUSES GARDEN  if ya ask Ringo..................... :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #431 on: May 07, 2007, 01:13:59 pm »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but will VW be bringing a diesel version of the Rabbit anytime soon?

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 07, 2007, 02:37:32 pm »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but will VW be bringing a diesel version of the Rabbit anytime soon?

According to what I know, best case scenario is end of 2008.
Worst case is never.  :o

Offline ggweci

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-0
  • Out driving…
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Honda Passport EX-L, 2011 Honda CRV EX
« Reply #433 on: May 07, 2007, 03:16:33 pm »
According to what I know, best case scenario is end of 2008.
Worst case is never.  :o

:(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #434 on: May 07, 2007, 03:27:19 pm »
Really dumb if they dont.  As they will be selling close to 1,000,000 a year, the marginal cost of selling a few here must be very low.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

The Beach

« Reply #435 on: May 10, 2007, 06:59:01 pm »
Ok,

First of all thank you to everyone for all the great responses and their time. I get that vw seems to be more reliable lately than they used to be , I guess I want to know if anyone who has bought one of the 2007 rabbits has had any problems. & what their experience has been.

Yes I will have warranty the whole time but I also don't want my new wonderful car to be in the shop all the time.

So if you've bought a new vw rabbit (2007) Can you tell me what your experience has been? thank you in advance. There are other cars out there calling me because of better reliability but I sure do love that rabbit. ;D

I guess I want to know if anyone who has bought one of the 2007 rabbits has had any problems

I am a co-purchaser, but not the owner; does that count?  :)  7000 km and 6 weeks and no problems.  I understand that the upgraded radio which I think comes with the convenience package has an extra antenna which I understand improves radio reception.

There are other cars out there calling me because of better reliability but I sure do love that rabbit

The only two cars that I can think of that are dead reliable are the Civic and Corolla, but in comparison they are econo boxes and in comparison to the Rabbit they drive like it.

Out of curiousity, where do you get this "extra attenna" that you mentioned above cause my radio reception sucks and I have the Rabbit Fully Loaded...would of even gotten leather if it was avaliable ;)...and where does it go on the car?

The Beach

« Reply #436 on: May 10, 2007, 07:13:55 pm »
Question for the Masses....

I had a bit of an issue with my VW Rabbit. I had an increasingly lound scratching/squeaking noise coming from the front wheels, especially when I went over speed bumps and turned slowly into a parking spot. It basically sounded like my ball joints were completely shot but the car is only a few months old...for those of you who don't know what I drive, it is a 2007 Rabbit VW, Auto 4 dr.

Anyhow, After taking it to the dealer they told me it was because I had a buildup of dirt in the steering & steering motor and from subframe. How the hell can dirt get built up in those areas when I live in Toronto and do not drive off road or along any sandy beaches???  I had a 2003 Jetta for 4 years and drove that up to the cottage at least once a month for 4 years in all kinds of weather and on cottage dirt roads and NEVER had this problem. This Rabbit hasn't even been up there yet?

Would you agree that this must be a design flaw?

If someone can also find an engineering drawing of the engine and can point out where the subframe, steering and steering motor is, that would be really appricated!!

Thanks all, I know you'll be able to help me figure this one out  :cheers:

The Beach

« Reply #437 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:58 pm »
Anyone know if all the Rabbit accessories are out yet or are there still more and if so, what would be the best web page to go to, to check them all out. I don't find the canadian one has a lot on it.

The Beach

« Reply #438 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:24 pm »
!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2007, 11:53:23 am »
The extra diversity antenna is mounted in the rear window, like the heating elements. Think it's 2 vertical strips.

I thought it came standard with the Premium 6-CD head unit, however looking on VW.ca (which we all know isn't always right) the extra antenna is listed in GTI exterior specs but nowhere under Rabbit.

Do you have the Premium 6-CD head unit? If so, push IN the lower right hand knob... it will jump to 2 hidden menus... wait till you see the radio station reception screen which also shows whether or not the extra antenna is on/off (or however it's written, can't recall but it is there). Should be able to check. Initially my stations tended to fade/muffle a bit at times so I checked and didn't change a thing, but reception isn't a problem for me anymore for whatever reason.

As for the steering, no idea. The steering on these cars is electric, not mechanical... not sure how they work. Here are some images, but not with the I5... http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Volkswagen/Golf%20-%20GTI%20-%20Rabbit/Golf%20V/Technical%20-%20EU#
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:00:19 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!