Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit  (Read 170403 times)

The Beach

Re: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit
« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2006, 08:17:13 pm »
Yes, I did get the Rabbit

Hope you're enjoying it!

Agreed, hope it's helping you get over that bad month....

Congrats Rabbit Girl!!

Thanks All!! I just can't figure out why the excelerator pedal is so bloody long. I step on that at the same time while I am pressing on the break and I have had 6 cars which I never had this problem with.

Weird.

Radshark

« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2006, 11:24:27 pm »
Is anyone else concerned about a new inline 5 engine?  Can anyone point to how long this engine has been used by VW?

5 cyl engines are not that common.  How serviceable will the I5 engine be by privately owned garages?  If the only garage that can work on these cars is the dealership, I foresee possible $$$ maintenance costs going forward.

I recently struck up a conversation with a private mechanic who was working on my car.  He remarked that in his experience that VWs can be difficult to repair and often need to go to the dealer for said repairs.  His final word was to stay away from VW's. 

Can a mechanic among us shed some light on this - was this guy simply a VW hater or does he have a point?

Oh ya .. for those thinking of buying a new Rabbit ->  the US price in CDN dollars is about 2k to 2.5k less than what Canadians are expected to pay.  Seriously - a 4D Rabbit with a sunroof, winter package, and upgraded audio in the US is about 21.2k CDN.  According to VW Canada - we are expected to shell out about 23.7k CDN here.  Don't take my word for it .. check out the american and canadian vw site, the current exchange rate and do the calculations.

Shame on you VW Canada!  >:(

I must admit the car does look and drive nice - but I will be waiting till VW Canada gets its act together on the exchange rate and convince myself that the engine will run reliably for 10 years (300,000 km). 

R.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2006, 03:41:26 am »
......but I will be waiting till VW Canada gets its act together on the exchange rate and convince myself that the engine will run reliably for 10 years (300,000 km). 

Exchange rate? Sure, wait till Canada has a recession and the loonie will fall.  :P

Will run reliable for 10 years? Sure, Rabbit Girl or I can post a review in 10 years time!  :rofl:
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2006, 01:11:44 pm »
5 cyl engines are not that common.  How serviceable will the I5 engine be by privately owned garages?  If the only garage that can work on these cars is the dealership, I foresee possible $$$ maintenance costs going forward.

I'd doubt if the 5 cyl configuration causes any problems. What concerned me was the tightness of the engine bay. It's like they put the engine in place and shrink wrapped the car around it. In comparison the Vibe/Matrix has what appears to be acres of room around the engine for access.

The Beach

« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2006, 02:09:38 pm »
......but I will be waiting till VW Canada gets its act together on the exchange rate and convince myself that the engine will run reliably for 10 years (300,000 km). 

Exchange rate? Sure, wait till Canada has a recession and the loonie will fall.  :P

Will run reliable for 10 years? Sure, Rabbit Girl or I can post a review in 10 years time!  :rofl:

Thanks, JSCC!

Some should not forget that this VW Rabbit (Euro = Golf) has been manufactured in Europe for approx 4 years. My German friends have no problems with their's and it is the same car.

The Beach

« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2006, 02:21:12 pm »
By the way JSCC...you would believe this but 2 days before I was supposed to return my lovely 1.8T Jetta to the dealer both radiator fans went on it. My dealer and myself couldn't belive it. My dealer totally helped me out on that one and got me into the Rabbit on Oct 31st rather then Nov 2nd like planned. I loved that car but apparently it knew it was going back and it wasn't to happy about it ;)

What a crazy few days that was..and I had just dumped $600 into it to fix up some minor cosmetic damage before it went back to the dealer.

You have a 1.8T so I thought I would share that with you.

Have a good one!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2006, 09:34:40 pm »
I'll be doing 128,000km service when I come back from HK next week.
Employee pricing, yeah!  ;D

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2006, 09:38:24 pm »
By the way JSCC...you would believe this but 2 days before I was supposed to return my lovely 1.8T Jetta to the dealer both radiator fans went on it. My dealer and myself couldn't belive it. My dealer totally helped me out on that one and got me into the Rabbit on Oct 31st rather then Nov 2nd like planned. I loved that car but apparently it knew it was going back and it wasn't to happy about it ;)

What a crazy few days that was..and I had just dumped $600 into it to fix up some minor cosmetic damage before it went back to the dealer.

You have a 1.8T so I thought I would share that with you.

Have a good one!

Good dealer  :thumbup:

Radshark

« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2006, 11:08:20 pm »

JSCC - I spend my days making money correcting moronic statements.  If you want me to explain how wrong your remarks are you'll have to put your poms poms away, read up on macro economics and then pay me.

For others reading this forum, who are not employed to sell you something, here is some potentially helpful information. 

There's no need to wait for Canadian VW dealers to stop gouching you - simply buy the car in the US.  Many people have figured this out - and there are a growing number of people doing it.

For a VW Rabbit you will need to pay 6.1% excise tax, $200 RIV fee, and maybe another $1-200 to have the car certified.  However, you'll still save at least $1500 bucks plus tax (more if you have some options) 

You might even get one of those electric guitars too - but I'm not sure - you'll have to ask the US dealer about it.  :)

In summary - you will pay less for the car .. and, subsequently, less GST and PST. 

If your considering other cars, consider this: if the car is built in Canada or the US then the excise tax is waived.  This includes some Hondas, Toyotas, and Subaru's.  (I think the Civic, Matrix, Camry, RAV4, Tribeca ... and a few others are built in NA - no 6.1% tax)   

I guess that would mean you might even save more buying a Matrix or Civic   :o

Do your homework.  Its only a minor inconvience and probably the easiet couple of thousand dollars you'll ever save.  If you want some details pm me.

The nice thing about VW's - VW Canada honours the US warranty - phone them and ask - I did  ;)

Some Japanese manufacturers try to wiggle out of it - again - do your homework.

As far as the I5 engine - I'll let others take the chance.  Personally, I would choose to save a little more for a GTI or wait for a TDI version - the engines are proven and can be serviced by someone other than a VW dealership.

By the way .. you'll save $4-5 thousand dollars Canadian by buying a new GTI from a US dealer.  I think most people would call that a deal. 

If I remember my numbers correctly .. I think the difference in price between a similarly equipped CDN Rabbit 2.5 and US GTI is about 4 thousand CDN.  I think an extra 4 thousand is worth it. 

I sincerely hope those looking to purchase a new car don't believe me.  I hope they go to the websites in the US and Canada, get the exchange rate, and compare the prices and options.  If they do - I'm sure they'll be looking into it further.

Here is some homework - try googling these keywords (RIV, North American Automobile Association).  They're good starting points.

Class dismissed. 

R.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:47:26 pm by Radshark »

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2006, 11:27:33 pm »
Radshark, admit it, you are a salesperson too.  ;)

Radshark

« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2006, 11:42:43 pm »

.. wait just a second .. I need to go ask my Sales Manager about that :rofl2:

It's been a long rough week .. I needed the chuckle .. Thanks!

R.

Radshark

« Reply #351 on: November 25, 2006, 12:03:04 am »

Thanks, JSCC!

Some should not forget that this VW Rabbit (Euro = Golf) has been manufactured in Europe for approx 4 years. My German friends have no problems with their's and it is the same car.

Hi Rabbit Girl,

I've just been to both the UK and German VW site - I don't see any Golfs with an optional 2.5 litre engine .. 1.4, 1.6, 2.0, 1.9 TDI .. no 2.5.

Did your friends say they had a 2.5l engine?  If so, where did they buy it?

R. 

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 25, 2006, 12:14:55 am »
Hey, don't pick on girls!

The 2.5L I-5 engine is North America specific.
In Europe and Asia they use the 2.0L I-4 FSI with 150HP.
We have discussed the issue between these 2 engines before, you can find more if you use the search function on the forum.

Personally, I would prefer the 2.0L FSI over the 2.5L I-5, even though it requires 91 octane fuel, but it's not an option for the North American market at this point.

The 2.5L I-5 is not a "bad" engine, it has a lot of potential in it, chances are VW will retune it to 170HP+ in 2-3 years.
Only downsides are, rough start-ups and higher than average fuel consumption.

Even the 2.0T has better fuel ratings, but again requires 91.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 25, 2006, 12:21:00 am »
And BTW the 2.5L I-5 is Mexican built, most people have a negative response when they hear that, don't know if it matters to you or not?

On the bright side, you can imagine the 2.5L I-5 as half a Lamborghini Gallardo engine!  ;D

Radshark

« Reply #354 on: November 25, 2006, 12:53:10 am »
And BTW the 2.5L I-5 is Mexican built, most people have a negative response when they hear that, don't know if it matters to you or not?

On the bright side, you can imagine the 2.5L I-5 as half a Lamborghini Gallardo engine!  ;D

I really don't know anything about the quality of VW manufacturing in Mexico.  I don't know if it's justified or not.

I will say I've sat in the City Golf - for about 2 minutes.  That is how long it took me to verify the dramatic decrease in build quality from the Rabbit and decide I wanted nothing to do with it.  I believe the City Golf is built by VW in Brazil.

So the 2.5 is like 1/2 Lambo engine .. pffft lol .. completely different engines.  It's amazing .. every VW salesperson I've met has said the same thing  ::) 

If you ask me .. that's not a good selling point - I wonder if the Gallardo engine will run reliably for 300,000 km  :rofl:

R.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 25, 2006, 03:07:39 pm »
Or might catch fire if pushed too hard!  :P

WTH? The build quality and fit/finish in the Cities are still miles ahead of the Japanese competition, no?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 03:09:44 pm by JSCC »

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 25, 2006, 10:24:17 pm »

WTH? The build quality and fit/finish in the Cities are still miles ahead of the Japanese competition, no?

I believe design wise, the old golf/jetta will look bland.  But materials and fit and finish, I believe they are still up there.  I sit in new cars today whether it be the new rabbit, sentra, mazda3, corrolla.  The materials and fit and finish in my golf still beat them.  The new cars may look fancier, but they are slightly cheaper in the end.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #357 on: November 26, 2006, 04:21:33 pm »
I believe design wise, the old golf/jetta will look bland.  But materials and fit and finish, I believe they are still up there.  I sit in new cars today whether it be the new rabbit, sentra, mazda3, corrolla.  The materials and fit and finish in my golf still beat them.  The new cars may look fancier, but they are slightly cheaper in the end.

Agreed. Design may be 8 years old, but I cannot knock the materials or fit and finish - still ahead of most every competitor, perhaps including the new Rabbit in many respects.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Radshark

« Reply #358 on: November 26, 2006, 09:51:16 pm »

Not in my opinion ... there is no way the city golf is near the fit and finish of most Japanese cars.  It's nowhere even close to other VW's like the Rabbit. 

IMHO it felt cheap -  really cheap.

R. 

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 27, 2006, 05:53:54 am »

Not in my opinion ... there is no way the city golf is near the fit and finish of most Japanese cars.  It's nowhere even close to other VW's like the Rabbit. 

IMHO it felt cheap -  really cheap.

R. 

To be honest I haven't really sat in a city model.  I'm going by a 2003 model.  We may just see things differently, but I disagree.