Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit  (Read 170403 times)

The Beach

Re: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2006, 11:04:22 pm »
$423/month? I think you have been charged over list.  :-[

Wait, need more details.
Term length, package, km, down pay, upfronts?

Lease term 48 months. 25,000 klms, nothing down (giving my Jetta 1.8t in for the Rabbit), all options except the rear air bags (never have anyone in the back anyhow) Residual at $13,500 approx, at 53%....now does it sound right or can I get it cheaper

WITH THE TRADE IN? Unless you have 500,000km on that Jetta.
You've got hosed gal, you got hosed!
Try $423/month without the trade.

Well I have to get up for work tomorrow. So i"m off for now. I'l check in the morning. If you have something you can help me out with then let me know. If you would rather e-mail it to me personally then let me know that too. Thanks a bunch!!

P.S.  I haven't brought the car yet. I just got a quote but the guy won't budge even though he knows a friend of mine. He said that it is a hot car right now and all he could do is sell it to me at List price and give me $500 off. That's it!...If you can do better I would like to know...and by how much. My monthly payment means the most to me. The lower the better....obviously.
Oh, and I would also need a loaded, silver one ready for Nov 2nd...is that possible at this time?

The Beach

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2006, 11:07:43 pm »
Maybe I'm over reacting a bit.
Were you leasing your current Jetta?

Hahaha. Yes Hon, I was leasing my Jetta. I love your passion though. Thannks...anyways, now that you have all of the details, you think you can still help?

MT or AT, I'll have to calculate tomorrow.
You can always get a lower price if you want to, but by how much?

AUTOMATIC.....basically the price I got on the web was $26,410 and he was selling his for the same....no discount. On my Jetta 1.8T I got $2000 off at my old dealer...I know this is a new model but damn, selling it exactly at retail is killer for me. The rabbit is only $23 less a month then the Jetta I have right now...holy cow..I don't think that is much of a deal....

By the way..what do you mean when you say that "I can always get a lower price if I want to"??? I figured a friend of a friend would of been able to make that happen. Apparently not.

The Beach

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2006, 11:08:52 pm »

Hahaha. Yes Hon, I was leasing my Jetta. I love your passion though. Thannks...anyways, now that you have all of the details, you think you can still help?

AUTOMATIC.....basically the price I got on the web was $26,410 and he was selling his for the same....no discount. On my Jetta 1.8T I got $2000 off at my old dealer...I know this is a new model but damn, selling it exactly at retail is killer for me. The rabbit is only $23 less a month then the Jetta I have right now...holy cow..I don't think that is much of a deal....

By the way..what do you mean when you say that "I can always get a lower price if I want to"??? I figured a friend of a friend would of been able to make that happen. Apparently not.

Well I have to get up for work tomorrow. So i"m off for now. I'l check in the morning. If you have something you can help me out with then let me know. If you would rather e-mail it to me personally then let me know that too. Thanks a bunch!!

P.S.  I haven't brought the car yet. I just got a quote but the guy won't budge even though he knows a friend of mine. He said that it is a hot car right now and all he could do is sell it to me at List price and give me $500 off. That's it!...If you can do better I would like to know...and by how much. My monthly payment means the most to me. The lower the better....obviously.
Oh, and I would also need a loaded, silver one ready for Nov 2nd...is that possible at this time?

The Beach

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2006, 11:11:15 pm »

I was hoping for at least $399 a month taxes in max....are you laughing right now or is this a possibility??

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2006, 01:06:27 pm »
V-Dubs Rock  :o

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/03/vw-gives-customers-the-axe-electric-guitar-comes-with-every-veh/
http://www.vdubsrock.com/

Can't believe this US promo! Off the wall and must cost a mint to do that (bulky item, theft, etc). Seems like they've branded the guitar well though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:11:12 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Radshark

« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
Despite all the taxes, apparently Canadians are a pretty rich lot!   

If VW really wanted to sew up the Canadian market - all they would have to do is start offering VW's at the US MRSP at the current US/CDN exchange rate. 

US MRSP: 2007 Rabbit 4D - MT w. Alloy wheels: $17,390 US (vw.com)

CDN MRSP: 2007 Rabbit 5D MT alloys + conv package*: $22,100 CDN (vw.ca)

*the extra options are standard in the US.

Using the current exchange rate of 0.89 US/CDN or 1.12 CDN/US we find the CDN MRSP should be: 19,477.  That's about $2,700 less than the current CDN price.

That's way too much of a premium for being Canadian - it should be about 0.   

Lets not forget, in addition to paying an extra $2,700 than Americans, we also get dinged for extra taxes and (if financed) extra interest on the difference (in ON about an extra 380 tax and probably an extra 400-600 in interest).  That's a total of about $3,500 CDN more for a $19,500 vehicle.

A rich lot indeed.

Gotta love them rich, pumpkin-headed people - walking onto lots wondering how much per month for a shiny new car.    As long as there is a steady queue of them I will continue to spat at when offering the US MRSP (cash) for a new car here in Canada.  Seriously - you would think I was wrestling a meaty bone from a rabid animal offering them full US price.

I'll give manufacturers another month or so of happily gouging Canadians before the Competition Bureau recieves too many calls.  Maybe then they'll update the CDN pricelists. 

BTW - This is not an anti-VW rant - all automanufacturers are doing it right now - Toyota, who I think is the number one seller in Canada, and according to my calculations, being the worst.   

Happy Halloween,

R.

avtoller

« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2006, 03:21:45 pm »
You seem proud of that post - you use it often enough.  ::) ::)

Radshark

« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2006, 03:34:06 pm »
yeah i know .. seems there are a couple of threads where it fits in ...

not sure why there are two rabbit threads ...

but thanks for observation.

R.

mdxtasy

« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2006, 05:58:06 pm »
I think we need to count how many people, new and old who complain about the disparity in the pricing of cars in Canada and the US.  Holy cripes..... ::)

Stuff a turkey man....it's not like this just happened yesterday.  The astonishment everybody feels when they see the big gap in pricing.  Have y'all been living in a hole? 

Blah blah blah....Canadians are being ripped off.  It's so cheap in the US.  Yes, it's cheaper there, if you can't afford it here, go down there to buy it.  If you don't want to pay the CDN pricing...go down to the US and get one. 

Radshark

« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2006, 08:33:09 pm »
Someone here to defend the practice of ripping us off.  Work in the auto industry by any chance? 

"living in a hole" - "can't afford it" - wow - insulting to boot ... must not really like people talking about it.  Was that really necessary or are you just trying to bully someone off the board?     

I think one of the reasons to post here is help people become more informed about new cars and the pros and cons of purchasing said cars.  Pointing out that we are paying a few thousand more for the same vehicle as our neighbours to the south is a relatively new practice in Canada and, despite your bullying,  very relevant to many Canadians. 

I think if you can't handle hearing it then perhaps you shouldn't read it.

Have you heard about the Sherman Anti-trust case in the US from a few years back?  I think its still in the courts.  Canadian auto dealers association, american auto dealers association, quite a few manufacturers were all named.  Accusations about blacklists, fines for canadian dealers selling to americans, collusion, lists of suspected canadian citizens importing cars to sell to americans, export agreements for ciitizens buying new cars, etc ...  all sounds like really nasty stuff.  Was any of it true?  I don't know .. it's still in court .. decide for yourself.

I thought I saw a news release about the canadian auto dealers settling recently .. second or third week of September.  Try looking that up :)  Interesting read.

Perhaps this may be a sign that the days of ridiculous new car arbitrages between the two countries will come to an end. 

Nobody cares about a few hundred bucks difference mdx5 .. but a few thousand?  That's a different story.   

R.

mdxtasy

« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2006, 09:47:55 pm »
Perhaps I can direct you to the search function of the board....and maybe then you can see when and where this exact topic has been thoroughly discussed and analyzed and ridiculed.

Do I like saving money?  Of course I do.  Would I buy in the US?  Of course I would.  Am I unhappy about the pricing disparity?  Yes.  But there are always two things you can do about it.  You can act on it and follow through with the information you've gathered and buy one in the US, or suck it up and pay Canadian prices.  Complaining does nothing...especially here.  Perhaps a petition or some organizing body can be set up to have this travesty analyzed? 

I wasn't directing any of the comments to you per se, you just happen to be the one who came up next in this weekly price complaining.  No offense.  Welcome to the board.

Radshark

« Reply #311 on: October 08, 2006, 12:22:28 am »
Ridiculed .. really .. please do post em.

While we are in a sharing mood .. perhaps I'll send a link showing the actual document for the anti-trust case in the US with all the accusations.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

R.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 08, 2006, 12:22:28 pm »
I think maybe s/he is a lawyer and wants to make some money on a new case.  ???
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:59 am »
Does the Rabbit really have a temporary spare as noted in the article or is it full size without alloy? From the photo looks like a normal size Conti tire.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2006, 10:15:06 pm »
Full size steelie.

Trust the salesperson  ;D, not the article.  :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:16:57 pm by JSCC »

nocar

« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
"Trust the salesperson"

- HA good one!

mdxtasy

« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2006, 11:11:37 am »
"Trust the salesperson"

- HA good one!

That's what they all say...they are your friend remember.  Looking out for you?  Hey buddy buddy. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2006, 08:42:06 pm »
I have a rabbit in my driveway and have for 2 days, I haven't checked the tire but I believe it is a full spare.

Now I would like to say the Rabbit is a VERY nice car.  Lots of luxurious touches, VERY solid feeling.  The engine feels extremely strong (although initially seems pretty thirsty). 

The car handles incredibly well.... could be my new found driving talent but it really turns in and hooks up well.  Better than my Mazda3?  I think it may be, it feels much more solid and the engine feels and sounds amazing.  Really impressed by this car, too bad I have to give it up tomorrow :(

nocar

« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2006, 09:15:56 pm »
Wing, how does this compare to the Versa you just had?  I assume the Versa is much more sedate...?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #319 on: October 12, 2006, 09:39:17 pm »
The Versa had a softer suspension and gutless in comparison (not gutless for the class but in comparison).  The Versa was much less sporty and felt less substantial.  Nice touches like rubber and carbon fiber trim in the Rabbit is excellent.