Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit  (Read 170422 times)

The Beach

Re: CD Article: 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2006, 06:00:10 pm »
RabbitGal, the 2.5L takes regular oil tho, unlike the synthetic recommended for the 1.8T (not sure if you're using it or not, but most do), so the oil change would still be less. But yes, the in-line 5 does take more oil than most 4 cylinders.

There are lots of deals to be had out there on cars. Shop around. Most dealers can get you out of your lease a few months early too.

So you think there are other manufactures out there to look at? I'm so set on a VWdub though.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2006, 07:25:40 pm »
Really 10 cents / litre does not makes that much of a deal.
Try puting in 89 instead of 91 and save a couple of pennies

Shouldn't even try, I did it once during last years storm cause they were out of 91.
Lost 20% on mileage, is it worth the 10% price difference? Not at all.
+ the possible damage to the engine.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2006, 07:28:00 pm »
The reason why we get the 2.5L I5 is for the use of 87.
I would prefer the 2.0 FSI in Europe and Asia even though it requires 91, same 150HP a bit less torque.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2006, 07:30:46 pm »
The extra 10% cost for 91 octane is not your major expense.  People will avoid a vehicle that gets 9L/100km and requires 91 octane for one that gets 11L/100km on 87 octane, and I never understood why.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:30 pm »
The extra 10% cost for 91 octane is not your major expense.  People will avoid a vehicle that gets 9L/100km and requires 91 octane for one that gets 11L/100km on 87 octane, and I never understood why.

That's exactly the idea of the 2.0 FSI vs 2.5 I5.
The 2.0 FSI requires 91 but "should" be over 10% more fuel effiecient than the 2.5 I5.

smainville

« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2006, 05:44:23 am »
I wonder what Kerri Martin was smoking when the Rabbit name was being bandied about.  Perhaps more aptly, what was he smoking in 1984 when they dropped the Rabbit moniker if he was old enough to smoke that is.  Perhaps he forgot that much of the 80's model run consisted of the US built units which aside of being dumbed down for the NA driver, suffered from bad fit and finish.  The exception was the 83-84 GTI which at least was fun to drive albeit still a rattle box.  I know, I owned one which I promptly switched out for the 85 Golf GTI.

There's no doubt, however, that the new "Golf" represents good value if you negate the rather mediocre gas mileage of the 2.5 liter.  Come on boys, 38 mpg Imperial or 32 - 33 mpg in real life with gas at a buck a liter and then to add insult to injury, no diesel!!

Here's my take, demand for the diesel Jetta is strong so why sell a better looking and more practical car for $5K less.  Well I guess because you'd sell three times as many in the Canadian market.  Lets cheer the marketing geniuses in VW's NA head office for their marketing brilliance.

Yes, because you can drive a small SUV like the X-Trail and get this kind of mileage.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:46 pm »
That's exactly the idea of the 2.0 FSI vs 2.5 I5.
The 2.0 FSI requires 91 but "should" be over 10% more fuel effiecient than the 2.5 I5.

And were VW to bring the 2.0FSI over, I'd at least take a look at it.  But the 2.5 does not look impressive.

The GTI, on the other hand...

bos

« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2006, 07:57:23 pm »
Just got my window tinted on my reflex-silver rabbit and add a clearbra to prevent stone chip on the hood
for those who want to know...
been driving my rabbit for 3 weeks now
and I have to say I like it
the 6speed auto is very smooth
and the engine sound very nice if you put it down to sport mode (but waste gas)
I've manage to squeeze 520km out of my 2nd tank driving a mix of city and a bit of highway
I am planning to get a set of Wet Okole seat cover soon, since I have a dog and I usually bring her out when I still had my Discovery '96

I did encounter a problem, but not very noticable...
the driver door raddles when I put up the base on the speakers
gonna get vw to fix it when I take it to service

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2006, 04:02:41 pm »
Welcome BOS...can I have FRIDAY OFF!!!!?............lots of BUNNY LUVERS here.....I woz Hugh Hefners batman........but that woz before the WEB was invented...... ;D    "KIRSTENDUNST !!!! >:( SAF are ya fiddling with the HELP ...AGAIN!!!!! :("............ :rofl2:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:08:05 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

The Beach

« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2006, 12:37:41 pm »
I test drove the new Rabbit yesterday. It seemed faster than I thought it would of been. I will test drive it again in a couple of weeks to make sure.

One thing I am curious about is whether there is an option when you order the car to have the back bumper panel that is black plastic to be made in silver (the colour of the car I'm getting) ??

Does anyone know?

I know that if I get the ground effects package it would come all the same colour but I don't want that whole package. I just want the back bumper to match.

Also, I noticed that on the American model specs that the front drivers seat comes with automatic adjustments and streering wheel radio controls. Is this avaliable here in Canada? How about in the near future?

One more question, do the back seats fold back like they used to in the Jetta and Golf? It was getting dark last night so when I tried to lift the back seat (seat cushions) up it didn't seem to want to come up like the older jettas and Golfs.

Do the back seat head rest come out as well to make the seats flatter when they are folded down?

o.k. one more...is the glove box a cooler? how about the arm rest in the middle?

oh yeah...one more. Are there only two sets of wheel rims for the rabbit? The sales guy told me the 7 spoke version was the only 16" rim avaliable or the steel wheel hub cap. I thought this was weird cause in the broucheur there are 3 sets you can get.

Cheers!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2006, 01:01:12 pm »
with that many question are you sure  it was  a Rabbit that you drove? :rofl:
Time for a return trip to the dealer

a4_tom

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2006, 06:29:18 pm »
Sounds like the salesperson didn't go through the product much with you. :rofl2: :rofl2:

The Beach

« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2006, 07:42:45 pm »
I had 20mins as I got there at around 8:30pm. and the sales person that my friend had connections with wasn't there so they just handed us the keys and we took off.

Besides all that, can anyone answer my questions?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2006, 11:27:43 am »
I test drove the new Rabbit yesterday. It seemed faster than I thought it would of been. I will test drive it again in a couple of weeks to make sure.
---> The 2.5L isn't bad. Really. It has some character, and when needed some good get-up-and-go. It isn't as economical as most 4-cyl's, but does have more torque and grunt without revving the heck outta it.

One thing I am curious about is whether there is an option when you order the car to have the back bumper panel that is black plastic to be made in silver (the colour of the car I'm getting) ??
---> To my knowledge, Canada only gets the matte black valance. But there are (pricey) accessories you can buy from VW http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=12&category%5Fid=82&subcategory%5Fid=268&product%5Fid=3264, or some people just get the black valance painted at a local shop which solves the problem.

Does anyone know?

I know that if I get the ground effects package it would come all the same colour but I don't want that whole package. I just want the back bumper to match.

Also, I noticed that on the American model specs that the front drivers seat comes with automatic adjustments and streering wheel radio controls. Is this avaliable here in Canada? How about in the near future?
----> I don't believe they do. http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_1795.shtml  I think you're looking at a Jetta or a GTI with leather for those features.

One more question, do the back seats fold back like they used to in the Jetta and Golf? It was getting dark last night so when I tried to lift the back seat (seat cushions) up it didn't seem to want to come up like the older jettas and Golfs.
----> Seat bottom cushions to not flip up and forward before folding the backrest/seatback like in the MkIV models. I think this was a negative to many, but I didn't mind them as the seatback folded completely flat and it was all very neat once folded with even a spot for the headrests to slide into. Only the seatback folds in the MkV's, and doesn't fold completely flat but comes reasonably close. The headrests no longer need to be removed tho, which is good.

Do the back seat head rest come out as well to make the seats flatter when they are folded down?

o.k. one more...is the glove box a cooler? how about the arm rest in the middle?
----> Jettas had the cooler in the glovebox and armrest, but this has been deleted for '07. Early Rabbits and GTIs had a cooler in the glove box, but not the centre console (maybe some GTIs did, but not anymore). The cooler is being removed due to cost cutting, same as the glovebox light (boo!) which disappears and gives it's place to the new AUX audio jack.

oh yeah...one more. Are there only two sets of wheel rims for the rabbit? The sales guy told me the 7 spoke version was the only 16" rim avaliable or the steel wheel hub cap. I thought this was weird cause in the broucheur there are 3 sets you can get.
----> From the factory, only the 15" wheel covers and 16" "Magny Cours" alloys. I think the alloys will be changing from the factory shortly (they'll be spicing them up). Accessory alloys are available, but as always, are pricey. Look at the US http://www.vwfeatures.com/rabbit.html site for an idea of what's available accessory-wise (their option content is slightly different from ours though).

Cheers!

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

The Beach

« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2006, 11:32:59 am »

Ahhhh! You are awesome. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you sooooo much!!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2006, 06:32:20 pm »
 ::) THANK YOU!!!! :P..and U are WOT a ............................... ??? ???

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2006, 10:24:54 pm »
SAM, are you sure you don't want to come back to the EVIL industry of car sales?  ;)

I was thinking maybe we can do a job swap for a few months to see how things go, oh and maybe swap cars too!  ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #277 on: August 24, 2006, 11:04:47 am »
SAM, are you sure you don't want to come back to the EVIL industry of car sales?  ;)

I was thinking maybe we can do a job swap for a few months to see how things go, oh and maybe swap cars too!  ;D

Not gunna happen RE part II, tho have thought about selling again. The thought has come and gone a few times now, but keeps coming to mind.

I am very likely to make a job change in the next 6 months unless things change where I am. Haven't quite decided which route to go though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 11:07:17 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 24, 2006, 04:04:50 pm »
Oh, and the Jetta 2.5 is supposed to be bumped from 150 to 170hp next year. If the Rabbit stays at 150, may distance the two a bit, but better route would probably be to raise both.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2006, 11:01:18 pm »
Oh, and the Jetta 2.5 is supposed to be bumped from 150 to 170hp next year. If the Rabbit stays at 150, may distance the two a bit, but better route would probably be to raise both.

For 07 or 08? The 2.5L has a lot of potential in it.
That's acually a good strategy to justify the $4000 difference.
I hope they add a convience package under the luxury package like the Rabbit and Passat.