Author Topic: Verify insurance question -extended coverage  (Read 3291 times)

shawn99

Verify insurance question -extended coverage
« on: May 04, 2006, 10:32:58 am »
Most insured cars have extended coverage which covers friends and family WITH the primary insurance holder's consent. Lending to your household family member are not included.

If a father at 123 AA Ave with a son living in 123 AA Ave. You have two choices, insure the son as occassional driver. Or the son signs an insurance document stating he will not drive the vehicle.

If a father at 123 AA Ave with a son living at 123 BB Ave. Son may borrow father's car with permission and be legally insured under the extended coverage.

Also, is the cop is more interested to note that the VEHICLE itself has insurance.?

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
Re: Verify insurance question -extended coverage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:56:30 am »
Also, is the cop is more interested to note that the VEHICLE itself has insurance.?

Yes. Show me a pink slip that says the car is insured and I'm happy. If someone wrecks it that isn't supposed to be driving it then the insurance company can have all the fun with figuring out if they are going to cover it or not.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:09:07 am »
Most insured cars have extended coverage which covers friends and family WITH the primary insurance holder's consent. Lending to your household family member are not included.

If a father at 123 AA Ave with a son living in 123 AA Ave. You have two choices, insure the son as occassional driver. Or the son signs an insurance document stating he will not drive the vehicle.

If a father at 123 AA Ave with a son living at 123 BB Ave. Son may borrow father's car with permission and be legally insured under the extended coverage.

Only if the son living at 123 BB ave has his own policy on his own vehicle.  In addition, if the son drives a beater without collision and has an at fault (Ontario) in the father's car the father's insurance company can decline to pay the collision portion of the policy on the dad's car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:25:47 am »
Yes. Show me a pink slip that says the car is insured and I'm happy. If someone wrecks it that isn't supposed to be driving it then the insurance company can have all the fun with figuring out if they are going to cover it or not.

If someone wrecks it that isn't supposed to be driving it then the insurance company can have all the fun with figuring out if they are going to cover it or not.

In Ontario by law insurance companies must pay out on the third party liability and accident benefits to all passengers even if the driver is not named on the policy.  What then can happen is the insurance company sues the driver and their own insured (vehicle owner) for all monies spent including all legal fees which are usually at the highest rate $400-$500 per hour and usually total in the hundreds of hours.

Also by law if the driver refuses to pay or avoids payment which is usually the case the law firm representing the insurance company can apply to have the driver's license of the offending driver suspended indefinitely.  This does not apply to the owner which is usually homeless by this time. :P

My son's current love interest is driving her grandmother's car who resides in another city.  Rate is $700 for the granny and rate is $3300. for the girl because of tickets.  In essence both this girl and her granny are not insured.

I warned my son under no circumstances should he drive that car because civilly speaking he is uninsured and could loose his driver's license because he is only an occasional driver on my policy.  If he had his own policy with the extended coverage endorsement then he would be covered.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:27:22 am by articsteve »

kevlounik

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:24:07 pm »
Well,all differs depending on what province you are in. First off the insurance follows the vehicle if you live in an "no-fault" province. Yes insurers are liable to third party liability and Accident Benefits but this amount is limited.

if fact all of the above is correct...the insurance business is never black and white...it's a whole lot of grey area with case by case basis. Son may borrow father's car with permission and be legally insured under the extended coverage.this is somewhat true but depends on the car usage, the one thing to remember if you are lending your car to someone including your family members...you are taking responsibility for any accidents they may have...if they get into an accident with your car and they don't have insurance, your driving record takes the plunge and your rates take a hike

as for: