Author Topic: Learning Music?  (Read 12392 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Learning Music?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 02:42:13 pm »
Nice one Brig', great choice!

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 09:39:33 pm »
A little update on my progress:

I have, um, somewhat "mastered" Horse With No Name, by America.  It irks me that it's the first song I will have ever learned to play all the way through, because it's kinda lame, but... I'm thrilled that I picked up on the rhythm and the chord changes almost instantly (I already knew the song by heart).  I was even doing it without looking, and singing along! 

Tomorrow night is my first formal lesson with some guy who's been teaching for 17 years.  I hope he has a sense of humour, because he's sure going to need one...  ;D

Cheers (and rock on, dudes).

UmroAyyar

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2006, 09:44:13 pm »
Cool. I'll learn some day too. Keep on  :thumbup:

baumer00

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »
way to go Brigitte, a quick learner, I've wanted to take up the guitar as well, would love to be able to crank out some Dave Matthews Band songs

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 09:56:13 pm »
I've wanted to take up the guitar as well, would love to be able to crank out some Dave Matthews Band songs

Then I'll throw my initial question out at you, Baumer:

What are you waiting for?    :D

I can tell you that it's the most fun I've had in a long, long time.  I wish I had started this 15 years ago. 

And thanks, Umro... Trust me -- it's dead easy.

baumer00

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 10:05:55 pm »
perhaps someday soon, who knows

UmroAyyar

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 11:43:16 am »
 :hide: reviving this old thread.

My wife bought me a guitar for our 5th anniversary/father's day etc composite gift. She got a Nikon D80 with a 70-300mm lens.

I have been trying to play the chords for 2 days now. There is no feeling in the finger tips.

11 years ago, my toddler twin nephews sat on my guitar, always wanted to learn to play guitar as I had access to musicians and concert backstages due to my job at a newspaper co.

After some practicing, I'll get proper instructions.

How is your endeavour Brigitte?

wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »
I have my Grade 10 Piano. I could teach if I wanted, but I did it for awhile and found that I began losing interest in playing for fun. Also, there are A LOT of bratty kids out there and I don't have patience for that crap.

I play the drums a bit, and some guitar. I'm going to start taking drumming lessons this fall though.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »

My wife bought me a guitar for our 5th anniversary/father's day etc composite gift. She got a Nikon D80 with a 70-300mm lens.

I have been trying to play the chords for 2 days now. There is no feeling in the finger tips.

11 years ago, my toddler twin nephews sat on my guitar, always wanted to learn to play guitar as I had access to musicians and concert backstages due to my job at a newspaper co.

After some practicing, I'll get proper instructions.

How is your endeavour Brigitte?

My current favourite (easy) song to play is "Time of Your Life/Good Riddance" by Green Day.  Four chords, with very easy changes in between.

I'd say my progress is a lot slower than it should be, but that's because I don't practise as often as I'm supposed to.  That said, I'm a hell of a lot better than I was when I first started this thread!   ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:40 pm »
How is your singing, Miss B? :) ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 12:48:04 pm »
About as good as my guitar playing, ID...  ;D

UmroAyyar

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 12:59:29 pm »
My 4 year old made his own music and song last month. He has a miniature grand piano. Sometimes he just sits there and tries to play and sing the rhymes.

This is what I overheard.

Twinkle twinkle little star,

.....pause....shakes head.....

I like race cars,
Hotwheels, race cars
Hotwheels, race cars

(he has a huge collection of hotweels, um well over50 is the bigger kid with that collectin of his.  :P )

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 02:53:37 pm »

70-300mm lens might be too tight for indoor shots.  :)

What kind of guitar and strings did you get? 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 03:08:30 pm »

70-300mm lens might be too tight for indoor shots.  :)

What kind of guitar and strings did you get? 

She has other Nikon lenses and her other cameras (medium, large format), photo and film major. I don't know much of it.  ;D

Got this Alvarez Regent Series RC20SC Cutaway Classical Guitar.
http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=5&ItemID=98

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 04:11:58 pm »
Is that the Nikon 70-300 with VR?

I love mine!

UmroAyyar

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »
Is that the Nikon 70-300 with VR?

I love mine!

Yes. She shoots at work related events and outdoors. Sunday drives begin next weekend.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 10:13:27 pm »
Nice guitar Umro.  What does the electronics on it do?  Have you learned to play twinkle little star?   You could do a duet with your son.  :) 

UmroAyyar

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:36 pm »
Nice guitar Umro.  What does the electronics on it do?  Have you learned to play twinkle little star?   You could do a duet with your son.  :) 

Its a digital tuner and a 12db preamp EQ. Its heaven for noobs like me. I did relative tuning first, that was out of tune. Then tuned using the built in tuner, that changed the noise I produced from the guitar to notes.

I think thats the first tune I would learn.  :)