Author Topic: Learning Music?  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Learning Music?
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:34:45 am »
About 15 years ago during a sales training session, my group was asked to think of a list of 'Five Things To Do Before I Die' and write it down.  The items had to be realistic and specific.  The whole point of the exercise was to then sit back, look at the list, and ask yourself, "What are you waiting for?  Do it now."

One of the items on my list was learning to play guitar.  I am somewhat musically inclined (I like to sing and occasionally sound good doing it); I used to be a DJ (student's radio and a short club gig), and wanted to go into radio broadcasting for the longest time.  I love the sound of a guitar, especially the acoustic type (but I'm not averse to electric).  I've never forgotten that desire, and now I'm ready to commit to the challenge.

Does anyone here play music?  Have you ever taken lessons, or are you self-taught?  Any recommendations for a musical noob?  I was thinking of hitting a good local music store and asking about teachers in the area.  All I know is that I can't wait to buy myself a guitar (and all the gear, of course).   ;D

My goal: Within six months, to have mastered at least one of my favourite songs from a favourite band (Blue Rodeo's "What Am I Doing Here?" comes to mind) and to play it for two or more people to hear. 

Should be a fun summer (if my neighbours don't have me evicted).   :D

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
Re: Learning Music?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:52:21 am »
I play drums, bass and guitar (mostly guitar - had to sell my drums for tuition when I moved up here for school 12 years ago and never got back into it).  Self-taught for the most part but I did take lessons for a couple months.  Do you just want to learn to play or learn theory as well?

I would just grab the cheapest, most comfortable to play guitar you can find and just start playing around.  no point in taking lessons unless you want to stick with it.

Best resource is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/  They have lessons for beginners, tabs, theory etc.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:54:51 am »
Had a similar discussion with my wife on the weekend. My first choice was to drive to Yukon and as far north as possible (which is almost impossible for me) so I settled with learning to play a guitar and try not to sing. I used to play it a bit then my twin nephews jumped on it and broke it.

I am interested in the same info people, anyone, hints, tips?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:42 am »
     NICE PERM Ms B.........................I'm just HAZE'in YA.................... :P.................I can't carry a tune
but" hated" my high school buds who could just guitar and drum away to the Stones Toons...had a guitar around the house since then BUT never mastered one decent tune......bought a Casio keyboard recently onna whim after watching a guy on PBS...."Learn Piano in a FLASH" guy....I just put it on auto tunes and try to keep up with the flashing keys.....and pretend I'm WAILIN'........sad eh!!!!
         It would be cheaper to buy some Sparkly suits in my case attach a few rhinestones and reincarnate
  LIBERACCI (sp)...........!!!!!!!! :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:08:13 am »
Do you just want to learn to play or learn theory as well?

I would just grab the cheapest, most comfortable to play guitar you can find and just start playing around.  no point in taking lessons unless you want to stick with it.

Best resource is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/  They have lessons for beginners, tabs, theory etc.

Thanks, Chuck.  Knowing my learning style, I know I would benefit from having a teacher to start me off on the right foot hand.   I will check out that site, though.  And to answer your question, I just want to learn to play, although a little theory wouldn't hurt.

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 10:12:02 am »
A lot of music shops rent guitars....for those learning. 

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34:08 am »
Brigitte, I would recommend the Royal Conservatory of Music http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=home or if you are in an area were there is not a facility then ask around at music stores were they sell guitars, the people there will be a good source.

I agree you should take some lessons, as very few people have the natural ability to learn on their own. Once you know the basics, then you can start to learn songs from your favourite artists, especially now a days with many of the songs "how to play"  are on the internet.
It is also nice if you stick with it long enough to learn how to write music as well.

Playing guitar is a great pleasure and release. who knows maybe you have some great songs inside of yourself that you will create.It is a very gratifiying hobby. Another wonderful thing with computers etc is it is very easy to produce your own music CD's.

It does take discipline to practice,practice and more pratice. I have been playing guitar for 42 years and I am still practicing, because making music is never ending, there is always a new sound, new chord pattern etc.

Good luck with your venture!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:48:52 am by MKII »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 10:38:13 am »
Had a similar discussion with my wife on the weekend. My first choice was to drive to Yukon and as far north as possible (which is almost impossible for me) so I settled with learning to play a guitar and try not to sing. I used to play it a bit then my twin nephews jumped on it and broke it.

I am interested in the same info people, anyone, hints, tips?

A few years ago, my wife and I flew to Whitehorse, rented a pickup/camper, and drove to Dawson and then Inuvik.  Took a day trip flight up to Tuk (and had a bus tour of Tuk), put our feet in the Arctic Ocean.  It was fun.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:46 pm »
Ten_Penny yer as tone deaf as me....these guys/gals wanna make music NOT memories..... ??? 8)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:33 pm »
I have been searching about for a retirement project  and I have always admired people who can play pub piano. Specifically, people who can play any old tune after hearing it a couple of times and transpose as required on the fly to match the drunken singers   So i have been wondering about a piano lesson or two.... to get started

I do suspect that the tim ear will get me tho'
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

ghost

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Go for it! I picked up accoustic guitar by playing with friends. Lately I've returned to my old passion of photography. And my wife just signed us up for Salsa dancing!   :-[ ???
Guess there's more to life that cars afterall?!  :o

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:29:01 pm »
Tpl if'n ya have a "TIM" ear as ya say....ya can ROLL UP the SIDEWALK as a BUSKER!!!!!!..Gol_darn it ya look like the "HEDGE_HOG!!!!"..... ;)...poiker anyone????? :rofl2:

UmroAyyar

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:56:29 pm »
A few years ago, my wife and I flew to Whitehorse, rented a pickup/camper, and drove to Dawson and then Inuvik.  Took a day trip flight up to Tuk (and had a bus tour of Tuk), put our feet in the Arctic Ocean.  It was fun.

I would love to do that, by driving all the way there.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 02:36:17 pm »
Brigitte, I would recommend the Royal Conservatory of Music http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=home or if you are in an area were there is not a facility then ask around at music stores were they sell guitars, the people there will be a good source.

Given the options, go with a music store.  Most places will want you to commit to a month worth (four 30 minute sessions at $20 each).  RCM will cost you easily a few hundred bucks.  No point in spending that much money unless you plan to stick with it.

Check ads in music stores or newspapers as well to find a teacher.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 04:20:07 pm »
I was in the School Band for about 2 years,  and played Alto & Baritone sax, not any good at it. Did bought a guitar at 16 years old, and still have it.

If I were to start from scratch, I would learn some basics about sheet music, take beginner's lesson, just to get fingering and basic stuff right. Then go from there.

I do have 2 DVDs about learning guitars, like this one. Got it at the local Public Library. I will send a copy if you want one. Mother's Music is very popular locally here, all kinds lessons are available. Costco sells basic guitars as well.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 04:35:41 pm »
I play bass, piano and tombone. The tombone I learned while in the school band, and my father taught me how to play piano. My girlfriend is currently teaching herself how to play guitar and she's doing really well! Although she already has prior music knowledge as she plays the violin, piano and sings. So maybe that's why it's coming so easy to her. But there are loads of "teach yourself" books for various instruments.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 04:38:29 pm »
Thanks, initial_d.  Good idea... the 'Dummies' books are always great. 

But there's no way in hell I'm buying a guitar at Costco...  ;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 04:49:44 pm »

Buy a used one!  One of my best friends is a real guitar nut and he finds all kinds of neat and special instruments on eBay and in pawn shops.  He's made a killing off some really desirable finds that nobody else knew the value of.  He's also restored a number of guitars too.  Anyway... used guitars already have the nice, mellow sound to them and have suffered the depreciation.  My boss has 50 or so guitars and is constantly trading in perfectly good ones at the local L & M I think.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
..... ::)  8)  READY TO GIVE US A TUNE/SONG YET BRIDGE.... :o ???....seems like it's been MONTHS we've been dicussing this...NO need to FRET about it.......just be a nice STRUM_PET and PICK IT!!!!!!...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 11:28:25 pm »

What is wrong with shopping at Costco? A Walmart thing?  :)

A PC can be very useful for  learning music, for starter, d/l free Digital Metronome software, use it to play simple drum beats, use it as a  programmable keyboard & synthesizer (depends on the Sound card and available software), mix tracks, etc. Digital music is great.

Play with Sound Blaster 16 & 32 a long time ago, the bundle software is great. Dojn't need much to run them, a Pentium II with a SB16 card can do  a lot, only cost $50 to buy nowa days. Have some Sony music mixing software right now, great for playing your own DJ and mixing tracks. Will take some time and find out more on what is available today and share it with everyone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 11:40:43 pm by initial_D »