Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser  (Read 20127 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: CD Article: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 11:07:13 am »
Why in the name of god won't someone besides Jeep make a proper off road vehicle? Having all of these creature comforts is fine if all you do is cruise to the mall, but if you’re really into booney bashing, ditch the traction control, stability control, power windows and locks, ac etc. Electronics and difficult conditions do not mix! Put in 3 Torsens, or air lockers, quick release sway bar links, and an air compressor would be great for airing up after a day in the bush. How about an optional winch?

Something that really got lost in translation is outward visibility? WTF is up with the C pillar? Outward visibility is critical in anything more serious than a fire road.

The original FJ, CJ, Land Rover and G-wagen were designed to be practical no compromise off road vehicles, styling followed function. This is simply a styling exercise that conjures up vague notions of the original FJ with little of value so many people bought them for: tough, simple, practical, easy to repair in the field etc.

Toyota already has the Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner and Land Cruiser and all of their Lexus counterparts for trolling the malls, why not get serious about off roading with at least one of their trucks?

I think they’ve lost the plot on this one, Toyota's version of the H3. :'(

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Panzer

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 11:17:00 am »
Why in the name of god won't someone besides Jeep make a proper off road vehicle? Having all of these creature comforts is fine if all you do is cruise to the mall, but if you’re really into booney bashing, ditch the traction control, stability control, power windows and locks, ac etc. Electronics and difficult conditions do not mix! Put in 3 Torsens, or air lockers, quick release sway bar links, and an air compressor would be great for airing up after a day in the bush. How about an optional winch?

The original FJ, CJ, Land Rover and G-wagen were designed to be practical no compromise off road vehicles, styling followed function. This is simply a styling exercise that conjures up vague notions of the original FJ with little of value so many people bought them for: tough, simple, practical, easy to repair in the field etc.

Toyota already has the Rav4, Highlander, 4Runner and Land Cruiser and all of their Lexus counterparts for trolling the malls, why not get serious about off roading with at least one of their trucks?

And why in the name of God won't Jeep make something that's reliable?

All those Japanese SUVs and 'off-roaders' are aimed at a large market segment: the one that likes the offroad look without ever actually going offroad, save maybe for that one, well-maintained gravel road leading to the cottage.  Their vehicles offer this segment fuel economy (compared to other similarly-sized vehicles anyways) where they're being used (malls, highways and civilized areas) with creature comforts those people expect.  It's all about marketing.  And it works.

avtoller

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 11:18:59 am »

Something that really got lost in translation is outward visibility? WTF is up with the C pillar? Outward visibility is critical in anything more serious than a fire road.

:iagree: Well put! It should have been either fish or fowl not foul fish!  ::)

They have the mall market well covered, the FJ should have been a REAL off-road beast or nothing! I am very impressed with Toyota build quality and reliability, but much less impressed with their marketing decisions.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 11:22:33 am »
:iagree: Well put! It should have been either fish or fowl not foul fish!  ::)

They have the mall market well covered, the FJ should have been a REAL off-road beast or nothing! I am very impressed with Toyota build quality and reliability, but much less impressed with their marketing decisions.

You mean their non-focus on safety?  ;) ok ok we won't go there...  ;)

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:42 am »

Because there's a big market for "REAL off-road beasts" out there that Toyota should want to get in on? Personally, I'm impressed with this vehicle. I have no doubt that the FJ is the result of market research that showed it's enough of an "off-road beast" for most potential buyers.

Even Jeep has made the TJ/Wrangler more civilized in recent years. For the 2007 redesign it gets stability control, side air bags, available nav system, fancy stereo, etc. I suspect there's just not enough volume in a dedicated no-frills rock-crawler product.

avtoller

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 11:38:36 am »

Contrary to your evident belief, you are NOT amusing. Rather, you are a MAJOR PITA who does not know when to stop being a fool. You are once again the ONLY resident of my ignore list! I keep on hoping that you have changed, but within a couple of days you inevitably return to your asinine ways. Good riddance once again.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 11:39:45 am »
Okay, I went to the dealership to see this thing last week and will finally put my thoughts down.

Firstly, I LOVE the G-Wagen. Don't mind the Element. Hated the Aztec.

On the exterior design - I like the front - don't mind the rear - the stretched side takes some getting used to. In an autoshow or in the dealership it looks okay. On the street when I saw one, I thought it really stood out and looked pretty good. I was more impressed seeing on in wilds of the street. Certain colours of it are really attractive and grab your attention.

BUT, this vehicles falls apart inside. I could not fit into the driver's seat... the seats do not go back far enough and my knees are truely jammed against the dash. The pillars are HUGE. I mean gosh darned HUGE. Rear access is a bit of a joke - worse than trying to get to 3rd row in a minivan and the handles are too far into the door, and once back there legroom isn't all that great. This vehicle feels tall, but not very spacious inside, tho it is wide. The rear hinged door has a powerful shock to help you fling it open. I have to question how well that'd work in Winter, but like another vehicle I saw recently (Grand Vitara?) it really springs open quick and firm and is easy to close.

Still, I can't help but feel that not enough function followed the form. It really really has the look, thankfully is capable off-road (which is the most important critera IMO), but is a tad too retro for me and I bet too 'out there' for many. California may love it, but with the fuel economy, an XTerra looks a whole lot more appealing to me. I think sales will really tail off, and this will be a questionable success of a vehicle, depending on the the particular market.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:43:25 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 11:40:34 am »
Last night I sat in traffic for a while with a FJ nearby.  This was the first time I had seen one, and there was a big "what the hell is that Jeep looking thing?" moment when it first appeared in my mirrors.

After giving it a thorough looking-at, the first thing that crossed my mind was whether or not Canadian Driver had an article on this FJ thing I knew nothing about.  Sure enough, flipped open CTC and there it was, a freshly posted FJ review for me to read.   8)

I quite like the way the FJ looks.   It's not-usual, with some fun detailing.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

avtoller

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 11:49:22 am »
We'll see, but I think that like most "over-styled" vehicles, the FJ looks will age quickly and not at all well. That huge blind spot is also a major potential safety hazard IMO. This might not matter if the FJ were only used on the Veldt, after all, what's another zebra or two, but in the urban jungle, it is inappropriate IMO.

a4_tom

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 12:08:48 pm »
If you take the off-road capability into the whole package, FJ is far better value than RAV4. FJ uses Tacoma chassis and engine. Its capable off-roading and should be civilized enough as daily driver.

As for looks, I found its 2-door proportion looks weird in such a large SUV.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 12:27:22 pm »
Let's be fair here...the Landcruiser was a copy of the LandRover which is truly the legend upon which the Toyota is based.

The Land Cruiser FJ40, which the the new FJ takes old-retro styling cues from, were made from 1960-1983, it is a studied_copied_and_much_improved_Willys' Jeep. The Range Rover was introduced in 1970.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 12:33:44 pm »
We'll see, but I think that like most "over-styled" vehicles, the FJ looks will age quickly and not at all well. That huge blind spot is also a major potential safety hazard IMO. This might not matter if the FJ were only used on the Veldt, after all, what's another zebra or two, but in the urban jungle, it is inappropriate IMO.

The huge blindspot can be over-come with a set of convex mirrors.  My B2500 had a blind spot big enough to hide a jetta.   A set of convex mirrors solved that issue imediately.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

avtoller

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 12:42:30 pm »
IMO, it is still poor engineering/design even if add-ons can, in part, overcome the needless deficiency.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 12:46:45 pm »
IMO, it is still poor engineering/design even if add-ons can, in part, overcome the needless deficiency.

Fair enough.  And I concede that many people won't bother adding "walleye vision" to their car, even if it does solve the problem.  It would have been good of toyota to add a set from the factory.

I'm still up in the air on its design.  I really don't think the looks will age well.   But I like that it's a credible off-road vehicle.  Even if 0.0001% of them will actually go off road.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 02:15:46 pm »
The Land Cruiser FJ40, which the the new FJ takes old-retro styling cues from, were made from 1960-1983, it is a studied_copied_and_much_improved_Willys' Jeep. The Range Rover was introduced in 1970.

Land Rovers on the other hand were produced from the late 40s/early 50s. Of course the first Land Rovers were inspired by the WW2 Jeep as well ...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 04:55:04 pm »
Land Rovers on the other hand were produced from the late 40s/early 50s. Of course the first Land Rovers were inspired by the WW2 Jeep as well ...

Thanks for clearing that, Arthurdent. Always though of the Range Rover. I think the earliest Land Cruisers were also in duty during  WWII, too.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2006, 05:28:48 pm »

At least it has the most sought after full size spare tire.They didn't cheap out on that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:30:26 pm by redroadster »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 05:45:35 pm »
At least it has the most sought after full size spare tire.They didn't cheap out on that.

It would have been suicide to not offer that on a vehicle meant for off-roading.  ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 05:50:56 pm »
Really just slap a space saver on there and things will be well.I know i'm just having a little fun.

avtoller

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2006, 06:29:14 pm »
Fair enough.  And I concede that many people won't bother adding "walleye vision" to their car, even if it does solve the problem.  It would have been good of toyota to add a set from the factory.

I'm still up in the air on its design.  I really don't think the looks will age well.   But I like that it's a credible off-road vehicle.  Even if 0.0001% of them will actually go off road.

I'm sure that it will perform well and last forever. If only they hadn't ... Oh well, ...  :-X